6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 days ago

I was trying to help a friend of mine who owns a POTC (Stern) and my knowledge of Stern boardsets is lacking. I know the WPC Bally Williams stuff but not Stern stuff.

Anyways: This Stern POTC will power up (lights up) but will not boot. All the playfield lights will stay lit solid and will not go into attract mode. The DMD display will initially flash but goes blank. Game will not enter menu functions. The game is basically locked up. The game did work the day before. It was not moved and there was no issues the last time it was played. All the fuse/voltage lights on the driver board are lit (as with a normally working game). No blown fuses.

Where should I start to troubleshoot?

#3 5 days ago

Well, it's a SAM game, so debugging starts with the lights by the fuses. Remove the backglass, and power the game on. Make sure the door is shut. Do the leds by the fuses all light up? Or are you missing one? The diag lights will tell you the status of your power. Do they go off and on when you open and close the door. That usually won't stop you from booting, but lack of 5 volts will.

Next, move on to the interconnect cable. I hear you, the game wasn't moved, however, pull it and check for any corrosion there (humidity can sometimes cause a white crust to form on that connector. Power off the game, then check both ends. You will also be re-seating it by taking it out.

Then the DMD cable. This was more of an issue with Whitestar games, however, check both ends of that cable (right side of the CPU board). Both ends of course. Then power the game to check if seating those helped.

If not, reseat every cable. While you are doing that, check the condition of each wire in the connectors. A single broken wire between boards will do this as well.

I realize this is pretty general. But SAM is a very reliable board set, so issues are usually pretty straightforward of connection or power.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 6,450.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.25
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 149.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside