Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by nohair
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern - please stop using bad coil stops”

• Yes I have dust and I need to replace my stern coil stops 112 votes
      81%
    • No problems in my Stern, coil stops are solid. 26 votes
      19%

(138 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coilstops (resized).png
    29D2CFE0-7A6C-4484-88CF-1A268383D7DE (resized).jpeg
    FB496171-3B42-4C4B-B1DA-B34BF77684D5 (resized).jpeg
    17F72C39-8E5F-4AA0-9E94-48079961ACA1 (resized).jpeg
    DF4F29AC-2A59-4489-A425-1C8AEE09A473 (resized).jpeg
    1D97B258-2A22-417F-803F-05A3D4B5FA13 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 3 years ago

The first game I noticed this on was with Metallica. I didn't have issues with the stops until 2014; so this problem has been around for at least 6 years now...but it seems to be getting worse.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Just spoke to someone I know. He has been replacing them with Bally/Williams stops. Says they fit and the throw is the same. Anybody had luck or problems with doing this? Once I get the replacement stern ones from my distro I will compare them to some Williams stops that I have.

I have in a pinch. They are not an exact fit but work good enough to keep going. There is a very slight difference in flipper travel but not enough to really notice.

When I bought my Spike 2 games for route, I just replaced the balls, coil stops and flipper buttons on day one. At least I knew I might have at least a trouble free month before other issues cropped up.

11 months later
    #57 2 years ago
    Quoted from addams40:

Can you use a williams coil stop on a Stern pin? Are they all the same ?

You can. The hole spacing is slightly different but the screw will still fit. I've done it in a pinch during a tournament or party but not permanently. If you replace one you need to do the other side because the flipper up position will be different.

2 years later
    #62 67 days ago

That's how they're made and Stern isn't going to have China change how they're made. If you get warranty parts you're just going to get the same crap again.

#75 65 days ago

First game I experienced the gold dust in the bottom of the cabinet and a sticky flipper from the disintegrated stop was Metallica built in 2013. So we're going on at least year 11 of the "bad batch".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-stop-using-bad-coil-stops?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.