Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by nohair
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern - please stop using bad coil stops”

• Yes I have dust and I need to replace my stern coil stops 112 votes
      81%
    • No problems in my Stern, coil stops are solid. 26 votes
      19%

(138 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coilstops (resized).png
    29D2CFE0-7A6C-4484-88CF-1A268383D7DE (resized).jpeg
    FB496171-3B42-4C4B-B1DA-B34BF77684D5 (resized).jpeg
    17F72C39-8E5F-4AA0-9E94-48079961ACA1 (resized).jpeg
    DF4F29AC-2A59-4489-A425-1C8AEE09A473 (resized).jpeg
    1D97B258-2A22-417F-803F-05A3D4B5FA13 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RazerX.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago

After I had this problem on 2 straight games, I have been moving the spring washer on every new stern I get to the non-coil stop side where it should be. That doesn't mean that the coil stops they use aren't bad, but I also have not had to replace one since. It's rather annoying to have to do this for every flipper mech on a new game. I wish they would just assemble them the right way from the factory. And yes, I have told them about it.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Who sells good coil stops? I had the bottom left flipper coil stop break in my Jurassic park. I had an extra coil stop laying around from a sega game I put in but now the left flipper has a further throw than the right one. I guess I need to do both, or all three at the same time.

Pinball Life for sure. There may be others.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve wondered why they are there. Half the time I lose them and don’t bother replacing them.

I'm not convinced they are necessary either but as stevevt mentioned, they may be there to tone down the flipper buzz. The problem with putting them on the coil stop end is it makes plunger/coil stop contact less stable. I learned this years ago on the old Bally linear flipper mechs from the 80's where it caused the flipper mechs to get sluggish and not work quite as well after a while and in some cases blow out coil stops when I put them on the wrong end.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

My manual (Star Trek Vault) has the springs on the coil stop side. At what point did they switch it. I’ve seen the reference you are referring to.

They've been building them this way for many years, so maybe they have been doing it this way from whenever they started adding them. I don't recall seeing them in the older stern titles from the prior decade, but those were also the ones that had flipper buzz.

3 years later
    #87 52 days ago
    Quoted from nohair:

Most things work fine for a long time. That's why whe are using the internet instead of Telex or Telefax.
    On Wednesday I installed the Geiger coilstops on my Mando.
    I've examined the mechanics and assembly more closely. I noticed that Stern uses a spring washer between the coil stop and the coil itself, which is guideless and therefore doesn't truly float concentrically around the coilstop cam.
    The probability is high that this spring washer, during plunger movements, causes slightly (but still!) angled impacts towards the coilstop, favoring abrasion on the cam base as well as on the rivet side.
    In my opinion, it makes sense for the coil surface at the coilstop to lie flat on the surface of the coilstop angle iron so that the plunger hits the coilstop as vertically as possible. That's why I placed the spring washer on the opposite side, with the curvature near the coil and the edge on the angle iron side.
    On this side, the coil sleeve protrudes and therefore forms a 'natural' guide for the spring washer.
    During play, the flippers appear much more agile and precise.

I make this exact change on every flipper mech of every new Stern I put out on location. It's extra work and it's frustrating that they refuse to put it on the correct way from the factory even though they have been given that feedback. The faulty coil stops might last a little longer, but it doesn't keep them from failing. My other big annoyance is the stupid nub to nub design of the lockbar action button which makes it prone to jamming frequently. Crickets on that one too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RazerX.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-stop-using-bad-coil-stops?tu=RazerX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.