Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by nohair
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern - please stop using bad coil stops”

• Yes I have dust and I need to replace my stern coil stops 112 votes
      81%
    • No problems in my Stern, coil stops are solid. 26 votes
      19%

(138 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coilstops (resized).png
    29D2CFE0-7A6C-4484-88CF-1A268383D7DE (resized).jpeg
    FB496171-3B42-4C4B-B1DA-B34BF77684D5 (resized).jpeg
    17F72C39-8E5F-4AA0-9E94-48079961ACA1 (resized).jpeg
    DF4F29AC-2A59-4489-A425-1C8AEE09A473 (resized).jpeg
    1D97B258-2A22-417F-803F-05A3D4B5FA13 (resized).jpeg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Everyone who has a Stern for less than a year and has gold dust from their coil stops wearing out, please let Stern know. Stern, we know you don’t want every game you produce to have a warranty issue so please start using a better coil stop that doesn’t go faulty after a few hundred games. Come on, your games rock. Don’t let your fans down.

Here are photos of my deadpool full of gold dust.

Please check your machines and do the poll. Poll is for spike 2 only.

1D97B258-2A22-417F-803F-05A3D4B5FA13 (resized).jpeg1D97B258-2A22-417F-803F-05A3D4B5FA13 (resized).jpegDF4F29AC-2A59-4489-A425-1C8AEE09A473 (resized).jpegDF4F29AC-2A59-4489-A425-1C8AEE09A473 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Bad coil stops are “Evil Shenanigans” - Jurassic Park, Deadpool, and Elvira all had the same cheap coil stops. I ordered a set for Elvira as soon as purchased the pin.

17F72C39-8E5F-4AA0-9E94-48079961ACA1 (resized).jpeg17F72C39-8E5F-4AA0-9E94-48079961ACA1 (resized).jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

Thanks @hurryuppinball. I don’t want this to be a slag fest against Stern. I just want them to fix it. If they don’t know, how can they correct the problem.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks hurryuppinball. I don’t want this to be a slag fest against Stern. I just want them to fix it. If they don’t know, how can they correct the problem.

Oh I'm sure they know as these types of complaints have been going on for over a year. At some point within the last 3 years or so Stern coil stop quality went down. I don't believe I've seen this on my Ghostbusters Premium but will need to take a closer look. After regular price increases, and $6k - $9k+ asking prices there's no reason for Stern to reduce parts quality on items such as coil stops of all things. A cousin of mine bought a NIB Dead Pool LE and within 100 plays had this exact same issue...

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

I don’t want this to be a slag fest against Stern. I just want them to fix it. If they don’t know, how can they correct the problem.

There is little doubt in my mind that they know about the cheap ass parts they are using.
    Coil stops that can't hold up in a home environment, nevermind if it was out on route.
    And everyone say these are commercial machines? SMH
    -Mike

#6 3 years ago

Yep, all my coil stops on Jurassic Park self destructed too.

I can handle that if they would just do something about my playfield....

#7 3 years ago

So I don’t know how long this has been going on in my deadpool. I only looked because of all the forum postings about these coil stops. The game currently plays ok, I will replace them, but what would happen if I don’t? What about all the owners who just own one pin and never look at pinside?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

What about all the owners who just own one pin and never look at pinside?

They replace them on an as-needed basis.

#9 3 years ago

I just had to replace all 3 on my JP Pro

#10 3 years ago

The first game I noticed this on was with Metallica. I didn't have issues with the stops until 2014; so this problem has been around for at least 6 years now...but it seems to be getting worse.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

you don’t want every game you produce to have a warranty issue so please start using a better coil stop that doesn’t go faulty after a few hundred games.

Forget about a warranty claim, it’s not covered. If you tried they would just tell you it’s a wear item. If you really want a legal battle maybe consumer protection laws in your country would give you some protection.

FB496171-3B42-4C4B-B1DA-B34BF77684D5 (resized).jpegFB496171-3B42-4C4B-B1DA-B34BF77684D5 (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago

"Warranty periods are effective from date of shipment from seller [Stern] to its authorized distributors"

So PCB's are 2 months, displays are 9, and no other parts are warrantied (?!). So 2 or 9 months *from date it leaves Stern's factory* means an "old" NIB pin at a distributor may effective have zero warranty at all?

WTF? Shouldn't the warranty start when the game is resold by the distributor? Isn't the benefit of a distro that they can track and advocate for such things?

Instead of a reasonable commerical-grade or premium product warranty, this reads like those "warranties" on inexpensive products that say the product will be replaced if you pay shipping and processing to return it - usually at more expense than the product is worth. (For the record, even Hot Wheels cars have this garbage "lifetime warranty").

#13 3 years ago

After I had this problem on 2 straight games, I have been moving the spring washer on every new stern I get to the non-coil stop side where it should be. That doesn't mean that the coil stops they use aren't bad, but I also have not had to replace one since. It's rather annoying to have to do this for every flipper mech on a new game. I wish they would just assemble them the right way from the factory. And yes, I have told them about it.

#14 3 years ago

Everybody here knows the printed warranty is CYA boilerplate and if they call stern they’ll get some replacement shitty coil stops, or some other form of compensation.

Seems like most people get treated right if their requests are reasonable.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

After I had this problem on 2 straight games, I have been moving the spring washer on every new stern I get to the non-coil stop side where it should be. That doesn't mean that the coil stops they use aren't bad, but I also have not had to replace one since. It's rather annoying to have to do this for every flipper mech on a new game. I wish they would just assemble them the right way from the factory. And yes, I have told them about it.

Are flipper mechs the only coils with these washers?

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are flipper mechs the only coils with these washers?

They should be just on the flipper coils. Aren't they there just to prevent the buzzing vibration sounds when the flipper is held up?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

They should be just on the flipper coils. Aren't they there just to prevent the buzzing vibration sounds when the flipper is held up?

I’ve wondered why they are there. Half the time I lose them and don’t bother replacing them.

#18 3 years ago

Who sells good coil stops? I had the bottom left flipper coil stop break in my Jurassic park. I had an extra coil stop laying around from a sega game I put in but now the left flipper has a further throw than the right one. I guess I need to do both, or all three at the same time.

#20 3 years ago

I was a victim of a bad coil stop 1 month after my NIB JP.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Who sells good coil stops? I had the bottom left flipper coil stop break in my Jurassic park. I had an extra coil stop laying around from a sega game I put in but now the left flipper has a further throw than the right one. I guess I need to do both, or all three at the same time.

Pinball Life for sure. There may be others.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve wondered why they are there. Half the time I lose them and don’t bother replacing them.

I'm not convinced they are necessary either but as stevevt mentioned, they may be there to tone down the flipper buzz. The problem with putting them on the coil stop end is it makes plunger/coil stop contact less stable. I learned this years ago on the old Bally linear flipper mechs from the 80's where it caused the flipper mechs to get sluggish and not work quite as well after a while and in some cases blow out coil stops when I put them on the wrong end.

#23 3 years ago

Such a greta warranty, sign me up. That's why I used to purchase new Sterns from Jack at Pinballsalesdotcom. He gave an extended warranty. He was not the lowest price but the extended warranty gave peace of mind for aboot $300.00

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks hurryuppinball. I don’t want this to be a slag fest against Stern. I just want them to fix it. If they don’t know, how can they correct the problem.

I hear ya. I love their games but always end up having to tweak things when I buy a NIB machine. It just comes with the territory with any machine (JJP, Stern, etc). This is such a simple fix for Stern and suspect it is strictly related to the cost of the higher quality coil stops. This issue has been around for a while and I am sure they are aware of it. It would be really nice if they addressed it though. I started my YouTube channel to help people with issues just like this so they can get their machine back up and running and learn a little along the way.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

My manual (Star Trek Vault) has the springs on the coil stop side. At what point did they switch it. I’ve seen the reference you are referring to.

#26 3 years ago

JP was my first NIB Stern. I had never dealt with a bad coil stop before so I actually had no idea what happened. It took less than a week for it to go bad. I just noticed the flipper kind of sag, and so I took apart most of the flipper and probably noticed the coil stop waaaaay later than I should have.

Now I tell everybody who gets a NIB Stern to watch for the gold dust. I think replacing them all immediately is a good call. I bought a lot of them from pinballlife.

For people who are unfamiliar with this phenomena, like myself, it's a difficult thing to look up. I just noticed it played different and I did a manual inspection under the playfield. From my experience from my other machines nothing quite lined up with a problem I was familiar with. I was looking up "weak flipper" and "sagging flipper" in pinside and couldn't really find it. I didn't think something like a coil stop could go bad so soon.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crater:

JP was my first NIB Stern. I had never dealt with a bad coil stop before so I actually had no idea what happened. It took less than a week for it to go bad. I just noticed the flipper kind of sag, and so I took apart most of the flipper and probably noticed the coil stop waaaaay later than I should have.
    Now I tell everybody who gets a NIB Stern to watch for the gold dust. I think replacing them all immediately is a good call. I bought a lot of them from pinballlife.
    For people who are unfamiliar with this phenomena, like myself, it's a difficult thing to look up. I just noticed it played different and I did a manual inspection under the playfield. From my experience from my other machines nothing quite lined up with a problem I was familiar with. I was looking up "weak flipper" and "sagging flipper" in pinside and couldn't really find it. I didn't think something like a coil stop could go bad so soon.

first clue something was wrong for me was the noise of the coil stop getting smacked changed. I took off the coil stop and the nub part just fell out. It was flopping around in the sleeve. Flipper actually still worked OK at that point.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

My manual (Star Trek Vault) has the springs on the coil stop side. At what point did they switch it. I’ve seen the reference you are referring to.

They've been building them this way for many years, so maybe they have been doing it this way from whenever they started adding them. I don't recall seeing them in the older stern titles from the prior decade, but those were also the ones that had flipper buzz.

#29 3 years ago

They probably purchased 100,000 coil stops and they are going to use them until they are gone...

#30 3 years ago

One issue is that dust is conductive. If it ends up on a node board that would be an issue.

#31 3 years ago

My TSPP is clean. So you’re right. Sterns did not always have this problem. I may be naive but if they knew how many customers it affected surely they would change them to a better part.

Does anybody have a customer service contact I can send a letter to?

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

https://sternpinball.com/support/contact-us/

#33 3 years ago

Just spoke to someone I know. He has been replacing them with Bally/Williams stops. Says they fit and the throw is the same. Anybody had luck or problems with doing this? Once I get the replacement stern ones from my distro I will compare them to some Williams stops that I have.

#34 3 years ago

Thanks. Was after an email address where I can attach a letter. Will find one out from my distro.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Just spoke to someone I know. He has been replacing them with Bally/Williams stops. Says they fit and the throw is the same. Anybody had luck or problems with doing this?

I think they are different, in a couple different ways.
    This conversation always turns into a bash fest for the Stern haters to latch onto, just check previous threads. I have had some last a good long time, on route, with heavy play, all while gold-dusting the cabinet. If the plug comes loose, they get replaced, if they play fine, I’ll let them go for a while. I replace stops often anyway.
    As for the spring washers! I find them on all coils for recent Stern I thought, perhaps unless the fit is too tight?
    I don’t think they are there to prevent buzzing, because they don’t. What I have found is that the keep the wires from breaking all the time at the coils, from the slight movement a coil will make each time it energizes. And I would certainly recommend keeping them in a coil!
    I don’t think it makes a difference which end of it.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Just spoke to someone I know. He has been replacing them with Bally/Williams stops. Says they fit and the throw is the same. Anybody had luck or problems with doing this? Once I get the replacement stern ones from my distro I will compare them to some Williams stops that I have.

I have in a pinch. They are not an exact fit but work good enough to keep going. There is a very slight difference in flipper travel but not enough to really notice.

When I bought my Spike 2 games for route, I just replaced the balls, coil stops and flipper buttons on day one. At least I knew I might have at least a trouble free month before other issues cropped up.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I think they are different, in a couple different ways.
    This conversation always turns into a bash fest for the Stern haters to latch onto, just check previous threads. I have had some last a good long time, on route, with heavy play, all while gold-dusting the cabinet. If the plug comes loose, they get replaced, if they play fine, I’ll let them go for a while. I replace stops often anyway.
    As for the spring washers! I find them on all coils for recent Stern I thought, perhaps unless the fit is too tight?
    I don’t think they are there to prevent buzzing, because they don’t. What I have found is that the keep the wires from breaking all the time at the coils, from the slight movement a coil will make each time it energizes. And I would certainly recommend keeping them in a coil!
    I don’t think it makes a difference which end of it.

Quoted from schudel5:

I have in a pinch. They are not an exact fit but work good enough to keep going. There is a very slight difference in flipper travel but not enough to really notice.
    When I bought my Spike 2 games for route, I just replaced the balls, coil stops and flipper buttons on day one. At least I knew I might have at least a trouble free month before other issues cropped up.

Thanks for answering this. Yep certainly don’t want to start a bashing thread.

Ok will avoid the Williams and go for the stern replacement ones locally as recommended by @vireland. Hopefully they are sourced from where PBL get them from.

#38 3 years ago

Low quality coil stops, low quality cliffy's (i.e. Deadpool scoop).

I'd pay extra to have better versions of these parts installed from the factory.

I love the new pins, but some of the cost cutting is a bit frustrating.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

They're not exactly the same. I've used B/W stops temps until the right Stern ones came in, but that's about it.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

My TSPP is clean. So you’re right. Sterns did not always have this problem. I may be naive but if they knew how many customers it affected surely they would change them to a better part.

Stern needs to save $1 (if that) per game by making quality cuts to coil stops of all things. One would think that the regular price increases and all time record NIB prices would prevent quality cuts but nope!

Quoted from pickleric:

Low quality coil stops, low quality cliffy's (i.e. Deadpool scoop).
    I'd pay extra to have better versions of these parts installed from the factory.
    I love the new pins, but some of the cost cutting is a bit frustrating.

For $6k - $9k+ none of us should have to give Stern another dime for better quality. All of the price increases over the years should have resulted in quality at least being maintained compared to 10 years ago versus going down.

It's as if Stern has regular meetings where the topic is "What can we cut back on next"? Hmmm, maybe shave .6 mm off flipper mounting plates to save 25 cents per game, brilliant lol. The quality cuts from Stern are beyond ridiculous at this point, they are insulting considering the asking prices.

#41 3 years ago

Distributor sent me a dozen...fuck off...they basically said...

#42 3 years ago

Ok found an Australian distro for a 3rd party copy. They say they sell this one because the stern one is no good.

https://www.zax.com.au/buy/stern-sega-flipper-coil-stop/515-6308-01

Not all stern stuff is bad. Don’t get me started on the JJP action button.....

#43 3 years ago

Latest update. My distributor admitted that Stern had a bad batch and they have resolved the problem. They are sending me replacements.

Hopefully that’s sorted. I will see how these last.

Good luck everyone!

#44 3 years ago

I will post if I have problems with EHOH or turtles.....

#45 3 years ago

I've been keeping an eye on my February 12, 2020 build date Deadpool, and no pixie dust in the cabinet so far. I'm not sure if this means a) Stern has recently addressed the issue, b) Stern has finally used up all the bad coil stops, or c) I got lucky.

Might be interesting if people posted the build dates of their machines that have/haven't had the issue.

#46 3 years ago

Issue comes and goes. They probably have a dumpster fill of the shit ones and when the heat dies down they start using them again

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

They've been building them this way for many years, so maybe they have been doing it this way from whenever they started adding them. I don't recall seeing them in the older stern titles from the prior decade, but those were also the ones that had flipper buzz.

I guess I meant more when did Sten switch from installing the washer springs on the coil stop side to the other side? My ST manual references the springs should be on the coil stop side and the manual from a Batman 66 I am borrowing mentions they should be on the other side. Clearly there is a reason - even though they still seem to be installed on the coil stop side (haven't checked the springs on the Batman 66)...

Also my 2019 manufactured Star Trek coil stops are going strong ~1500 games.

#48 3 years ago

Just put my replacements from stern in today. Will check in 100 games. Sleeves were filthy from the coil stops disintegrating so replaced those too. Will report.

#49 3 years ago

I just checked my early-2020 BKSOR; it looks clean. Threads like this are very educational; now I'll know to keep an eye on it.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

This conversation always turns into a bash fest for the Stern haters to latch onto

Its more "operators" and when its costing them time and money well of course they get a hate on. I've never had an issue with a node board or coil stops, rreally anything but my pins get maybe 500 plays a year and its rare they last much longer than that. Not saying the ops aren't justified in their complaint or it doesn't happen to non ops but there should be a sub section for strictly operators. Thats a breeding ground for hate, regardless how much u love pinball the "operator" is a different animal than the collector or simple enthusiast. Maybe not, who cares.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-stop-using-bad-coil-stops?hl=hurryuppinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.