(Topic ID: 318312)

Stern, please secure your Coin Boxes for the love of God!

By DakotaMike

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by freddy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Let's see if the coinbox was loose on your NIB Stern?”

• My most recent NIB Stern had a loose coin box. 11 votes
    23%
  • My last several NIB Sterns had loose coin boxes. 4 votes
    9%
  • My coin box was properly secured my last NIB Stern. 32 votes
    68%

(47 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1085 (resized).jpeg
20220707_153915 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Man Stern, how is this still happening?! I had a JP Premium delivered last Fall with a Coin Box loose and flying around the cabinet, and today I opened a Rush and lookey, lookey!

20220707_153915 (resized).jpg20220707_153915 (resized).jpg

I mean pardon my french, but what the hell?! Thankfully, the trough eject and service rails provide a bit of protection to the underside of the pf, but damn...how is this still not sorted out? What are they doing over there?

On my JP, the locking wire was installed wrong, and on my Rush the locking wire was no where to be found. So I assume it was either never installed, or installed wrong and fell to the back of the cabinet.

Please, if you know anyone at Stern, tell them to fix this S.

#2 1 year ago

A simple ziptie would fix this.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

There's supposed to be a clip that holds it in place.

Rob

#4 1 year ago

If a “loose coin box” has ever caused any damage to a pinball machine in modern recorded history, it would absolutely be news to me.

I’m other words: don’t give a shit, and neither should you !

#5 1 year ago

I've never seen a loose one in the few dozen Sterns I've unboxed for myself and with friends. Looks like they missed the clip. I hope this cathartic thread brings you peace.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If a “loose coin box” has ever caused any damage to a pinball machine in modern recorded history, it would absolutely be news to me.

It was reported in the godzilla thread IIRC; that the coinbox sheared off a coil lug during shipment.
So; that... if true; would be reason enough.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There's supposed to be a clip that holds it in place.
Rob

Yeah that clip seems to like to fall out and end up in the cab somewhere. 2/4 for me. Just ziptie it in place would be nice.

#8 1 year ago

I'd take coil stops that didn't fail over a loose coin box if we're making a list for Stern. Being able to remove the glass without superpowers would be nice also.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Yeah that clip seems to like to fall out and end up in the cab somewhere. 2/4 for me. Just ziptie it in place would be nice.

Huh? There’s zero chance those clips can fall out if installed correctly. And assuming the clips aren’t defective.

#10 1 year ago

Tight glass, loose coin box oh my!

So far I’ve been ok with the coin box being secured.

#11 1 year ago

MY GZ Premium was missing pin.

#12 1 year ago

Let me guess, your game was fine.

#13 1 year ago

Maybe getting better. My DP premium showed up with no issues. Glass us snug but not crazy. Coin-op good. There was a hole in the box, but thankfully no damage..

#14 1 year ago

My DP prem had unsecured coin box and super tight glass.

#15 1 year ago

First I had seen the glass mentioned. The glass on my STh premium is pain in the ass to install due to getting tight about a foot in. Any tricks to improving this?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

First I had seen the glass mentioned. The glass on my STh premium is pain in the ass to install due to getting tight about a foot in. Any tricks to improving this?

There’s a whole thread. I believe that some have got better from loosening the side rail screws. My DP is tight as well but I haven’t tried to loosen the screws trick.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outrageously-tight-pinball-glass

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

That will add $.01 to the cost of every game, at $7k - $11k per game Stern simply cannot afford this type of move.

#18 1 year ago

I have purchased more than a dozen NIB stern pins and have always had the lock clip in place. Not sure how they are getting out of the factory without them.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Huh? There’s zero chance those clips can fall out if installed correctly. And assuming the clips aren’t defective.

Yeah, on my JP the clip was put in sideways over the openings, instead of actually through it. So the person doing the installing obviously didn't know how the retaining clip actually worked, or what it's purpose was.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on Levi, stop simping for Stern here. You and I both know it's a dumb mistake with a stupidly easy fix. One of those, "we used to know how to do this, but somehow we've forgotten" issues. Stern has designed a retaining system for their coin boxes all ready, and it's silly that they aren't using it a lot of the time.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I get spray silicone, and I spray a q-tip, get the cotton of the q-tip wet with the silicone, remove the glass and run the q-tip down the length of the glass channel, both sides, adding more silicone to the q-tip as necessary.

Silicone dries quick, and this helps out enormously.

Some brand new Stern cabinets by the time they are shipped to you are 'bowed in' toward the middle, or the whole cabinet is skewed (trapezoid instead of rectangle). For those situations there isn't much to do, short of cabinet work.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's happened.

Rob

#22 1 year ago

Fix the coin acceptors please as well. Suzo loonie n toonie only work for a couple coins and for some reason just shit the bed instantly.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I've never seen a loose one in the few dozen Sterns I've unboxed for myself and with friends. Looks like they missed the clip. I hope this cathartic thread brings you peace.

Ha, it's not about catharsis, it's about making the right people at Stern aware of the problem.

It's been an on and off issue since at least last Fall. So either Stern/Gomez/Whoever-is-in-charge-of-the-line doesn't know about the loose coin boxes, or worse yet--they don't care. Since I have a hard time believing that Stern is intentionally not fixing such a simple issue, I have to assume that they are somehow still unaware of the problem.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is how my NIB GZ LE arrived in November of 2021. The coin box was jammed between the bottom of the building mech and the brace in the bottom of the cabinet so that it wasn't possible to lift the playfield or reach the coin box through the coin door. After I got the coin box out the building mech required adjustment to get it to work properly. If Stern had bothered to put a clip to hold the coin box in place it easily would have saved me an hour.

IMG_1085 (resized).jpegIMG_1085 (resized).jpeg
#25 1 year ago

#26 1 year ago

I had three nib and this happened !
And mando was missing clip the other two clip was in bottom of cab all the way on the back corner!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 135.00
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
8,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, NH
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-secure-your-coin-boxes-for-the-love-of-god?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.