100%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7F57429F-2894-4ABC-947D-23DD08B049FF (resized).jpeg
38E4BCB0-BE07-4689-BEE4-59EC44AA0420 (resized).jpeg
35128E0F-F342-48AF-9671-7B51EBEBB29B (resized).jpeg
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I am admittedly being risk averse with spike. Part of it is where I am (new zealand) and guys here are taking a good sized hit selling almost any new title. If I had to pay for a node board or god forbid a cpu it just makes it even worse if/when I sell something. I do want a tron but I don't want it bad enough to get a spike version. Different for you guys in the states I would be a bit more relaxed if I was there.

I totally get it. I’ve been in the Spike thread expressing my concern with it. I didn’t want to buy a Spike game, but I bit the bulletin because I wanted something new and I can’t afford a JJP.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, but there ain't no nostalgia for Tron Legacy, it was a forgettable movie with a great soundtrack that faded into obscurity quickly.

Exactly why they need to make a VE re-skinned from the original movie.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

TRON appears to be a reasonably easy machine to manufacture, and a stock pro is fairly spartan. I am surprised it is taking so long to get this out, it has to be in the queue somewhere. Disney will sell any license to anyone, so I doubt that is the problem. I would guess they are trying to figure out the balance where a VE includes the light wire rails, and maybe Daft Punk multiball, but is not an exact copy of the LE. No reason a TRON VE should be a $5500 machine and let the modders cash in on the upgrades, Stern will want some of the mod revenues for themselves.

It’s taking longer because their updating to Spike, LCD, etc.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Wow, really? Why not? Any further insight?
Reading between the lines, almost everything lines up for this one. I've been thinking >50% chance it's close to the front of the line of VE's if not first.

Besides not making sense to redo for Spike 2, your "brighten" comment is not accurate. SAM uses high-power flashers that are way brighter than what Spike can achieve. But your perception shows that Stern has done a pretty good job with clever programming and use of the "flashers" (using that term loosely) that they do have. GB has a pretty good light show for example. But falls far short of what is capable on SAM, especially with mods (also not as feasible on Spike). Have you played AC/DC with lightning bolt -FLASHERS-?

Just no. Tron is one of Sterns darkest games. Old Trons on route look like shit. Even the ones with lighted ramps.

Check out the lighting and light show on Star Wars Pro. One billion times better than Trons sorry ass lighting.

And the real reason Stern will do a vault Tron is because there are only about 2 people left on the face of the earth that are going to pay $6k or more ($7k, for a pro...lol) for a used one. Which means no one will sell their games, because everyone paid through the nose for their Trons (or modding them) and the don’t want to take a loss. More current Tron owners are going to die with Tron in their basement than any other game.

It’s sad too. I might pull the trigger on a used Tron for a reasonable price, but IMO, the only must have mod on that game is Eli’s Ramps. To pay thousands more for all the bling is not worth it to me. And these days, I don’t think I’m in the minority.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, but there ain't no nostalgia for Tron Legacy, it was a forgettable movie with a great soundtrack that faded into obscurity quickly..

I enjoyed Legacy much more then the original. To each their own I guess.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Yea I enjoyed both movies a lot. I like legacy more than the original though.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

The original is a bit of a mess really, but since it's from my childhood I still love it, because nostalgia is a powerful drug. Legacy was whatever. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Point isn't whether or not you liked it, or even if it's a good game or good movie, it's just that there's really no cultural significance to the franchise now. I have no idea what Stern will do, maybe they'll surprise me and make a vault. I just doubt it, I don't think it's all that great of a candidate for it.

They did Iron Man, which is another cult fav in a similar vein, so who knows. In that case though the Marvel movies are freaking juggernaughts, so it made more sense.

#108 5 years ago

I’d say really, Stern probably has to have an idea how many it’ll sell at xyz price.

If they feel like the market is only 300 pins maybe they don’t bother. But if they feel like it’s more like 600+ pins maybe that’s worth the time.

#109 5 years ago

I’d like a new art Tron Legacy pin better play field art but otherwise the same rules etc. I might even buy a new one at that and sell the original.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Point isn't whether or not you liked it, or even if it's a good game or good movie, it's just that there's really no cultural significance to the franchise now.

If this is true why would Disney spend the amount of money they are on a new Tron ride at their park? If nobody cared about Tron wouldn't they spend that money on something that was more desirable?

#111 5 years ago

IMO Legacy is way better.

Who doesn’t love Olivia Wilde?

7F57429F-2894-4ABC-947D-23DD08B049FF (resized).jpeg7F57429F-2894-4ABC-947D-23DD08B049FF (resized).jpeg

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If this is true why would Disney spend the amount of money they are on a new Tron ride at their park? If nobody cared about Tron wouldn't they spend that money on something that was more desirable?

Because it's an asset they own and it works thematically. If they really cared that much they wouldn't have scrapped sequel plans.
Does anyone, other than o-din, and I care aboot Mr. Toad? It's still in Cali.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does anyone, other than o-din and I care aboot Mr. Toad? It's still in Cali.

I so miss that ride. Pooh is a fun ride too, but not worth replacing Mr Toad. Whenever I am in CA, I go on it multiple times to get my fix.

#114 5 years ago

I know, great ride. My dad is a huge Wind & the Willows fan so I'm familiar with it but I doubt anyone under the age for 30 knows the reference.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Maybe it will be a huge hit and bring back the pinball.

#116 5 years ago

Stern haven't been spending money on Vaults since Spiderman VE - all new art and DMD graphics - which I suspect may not have sold as well as they'd hoped given the effort invested. If it did sell less well than hoped, I suspect it may be because so many had serious quality issues .... it was the canary in the coal mine before the farce with GB. But I doubt the bean counters would be willing to acknowledge that.

ST 'VE' is identical. ACDC, changes are absolutely minimal. Both have sold for little to no additional effort.

I think Stern are more keen on minimal cost and maximum return.

Trouble is, the low hanging fruit is running out. I can imagine them giving Metallica or TWD a break for a year and then bringing them back as 'VE' SKUs.

After that though, they'd have to start doing something like Spiderman IMO. As I'd said in another thread, I was told that GoT was a candidate for such treatment. Tron obviously is. The question is would either actually make the investment worth it? People are also talking about LotR, but there are so many out there already, cost of porting WhiteStar to SAM is unknown, then presumably new art and DMD animations, and a top $ license.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't get anything like SM VE again, but on the other hand it woukdn't surprise me if they do try it again.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Stern haven't been spending money on Vaults since Spiderman VE - all new art and DMD graphics - which I suspect may not have sold as well as they'd hoped given the effort invested. If it did sell less well than hoped, I suspect it may be because so many had serious quality issues .... it was the canary in the coal mine before the farce with GB. But I doubt the bean counters would be willing to acknowledge that.
ST 'VE' is identical. ACDC, changes are absolutely minimal. Both have sold for little to no additional effort.
I think
After that though, they'd have to start doing something like Spiderman IMO. As I'd said in another thread, I was told that GoT was a candidate for such treatment. Tron obviously is. The question is would either actually make the investment worth it? People are also talking about LotR, but there are so many out there already, cost of porting WhiteStar to SAM is unknown, then presumably new art and DMD animations, and a top $ license.
It wouldn't surprise me if we don't get anything like SM VE again, but on the other hand it woukdn't surprise me if they do try it again.

Tron makes sense and I'd grab one. not sure what they can do to update GOT like spiderman.... other than re-run it as is.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

Tron makes sense and I'd grab one. not sure what they can do to update GOT like spiderman.... other than re-run it as is.

My whole point is that Tron may well make no sense from Stern's point of view. Lot of expense and effort, for potentially underwhelming return.

GoT was not well received for pf, cabinet or translite art. The DMD went back to the dot-ised video - a bit like original Spiderman.

I dunno what they'll do, but I suspect the case (for their business) for VEs that involve significant time, money and effort are marginal at best for them.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This has been the #1 requested VE for years. I'm starting to think that if it hasn't happened by now, might not ever happen. Never say never though, if the demand is there there's always a chance.

They should just retheme, reskin and re-release... i love me some TRON, but it’s my favorite pin due to gameplay not theme (though I do like the theme a lot and think it is one of the better integrations).

Too much fun to keep it on the grid.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

They should just retheme, reskin and re-release

Why do that, when they could just spend the time developing a new game? No one who owns (or maybe owned) a Tron wants to buy a 'new' game that's just a recycle of what they already have/had.

The OP has a phobia about buying a used game, but if you really want a Tron they're out there. Not everything needs to cater to NIB collectors who obsess over shooter lane wear.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why do that, when they could just spend the time developing a new game? No one who owns (or maybe owned) a Tron wants to buy a 'new' game that's just a recycle of what they already have/had.
The OP has a phobia about buying a used game, but if you really want a Tron they're out there. Not everything needs to cater to NIB collectors who obsess over shooter lane wear.

Haha, most games I've purchased have been used. Look at the market, most huo games are not priced very aggressively at all and just sit. My point is why hassle with huo to save $300? Obviously this doesn't apply to tron since it's a 6 to 7 year old pin and not available new anymore. That's why I created this thread to begin with. I would buy a new tron if they made it.

#122 5 years ago

I’d be very tempted to buy a Tron remake at pro pricing, premium price and I’d pass. It’s a great game but not $7K good.

#123 5 years ago

I’m sitting on a gold mine! I’m the original owner of my Tron Pro bought in January of 2012. And I hope they do a new run / VE. Everyone should get to enjoy this game if they want to.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Cause plenty of people like it “for the game play” and can’t find or afford one.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Crazy part is ton is not a good game. Merely a good theme and the lit up ramps kinda defined this game as the first to really bling. Seems people actually like modding it themself more than paying for already done or even playing the game tbt.

Game played fast and brutal. Shots were sometimes tricky. I liked it. I also like stop and go design as well.

Basically if the pin is immersive, well balanced, great theme, I’m in.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Cause plenty of people like it “for the game play” and can’t find or afford one.

If you can't afford one you can't afford a NIB one either. The price difference between Stern prices and a nice used Tron is a few hundred bucks now. Granted more if it's covered in desirable mods you want, it's one of the few games that has mods that are worth it enough to hold value, but you'd pay for them anyways then.

Anyways, I don't work for Stern or have a crystal ball, maybe they'll do it. I'm just stating my case for why I wouldn't wait for it, if you want the game then buy a used one is my take.

#127 5 years ago

I'd think about buying one. I love the theme so much I named my daughter Cora, the wife didn't find out the inspiration for that name until later

#128 5 years ago

Outstanding theme.
One of the best audio packages in a pin.
Awesome layout, not frustrating - the design is really fun to shoot.
Theme integration is perfect.
So many cool mods available.
Ruleset is easy to understand.
Addicting, you always want one more game.

Not sure how anyone can say this is a bad pin, I think it's great.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

... I don't work for Stern or have a crystal ball, maybe they'll do it. I'm just stating my case for why I wouldn't wait for it, if you want the game then buy a used one is my take.

Which is why I am glad I got mine in 2015 (especially since everyone was saying the “VE announced any day now” even then).

#130 5 years ago

How unusual...another Tron VE thread...sure is a slow news week!!

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It’s taking longer because their updating to Spike, LCD, etc.

Just no. Tron is one of Sterns darkest games. Old Trons on route look like shit. Even the ones with lighted ramps.
Check out the lighting and light show on Star Wars Pro. One billion times better than Trons sorry ass lighting.

That could be, but it's got nothing to do with Spike being brighter. SAM has the more robust lighting system and can produce more flash. Whether programming takes advantage of that is another question. On the question of brightness, there's no reason to move to Spike.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The question is would either actually make the investment worth it? People are also talking about LotR, but there are so many out there already, cost of porting WhiteStar to SAM is unknown, then presumably new art and DMD animations, and a top $ license.

Whitestar is production ready and has even been run recently. LoTR LE was already a Whitestar/SAM hybrid as well. I'm wondering why you think porting to SAM is a requirement? I don't see why it would be.

Talk of migrating older systems to a new platform is kind of defeating the purpose of the vault concept, which is obviously cash in on a popular title with minimal effort. Also, by Stern's definition, porting to a new platform would mean it's not a vault edition, as they've said vaults would be on the original platform.

#133 5 years ago

+1 on this

2 years later
#134 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#135 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

[quoted image]

I wish!

#136 3 years ago

There is some TRON news today it appears....

https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/

I guess that means no Daft Punk in the next TRON movie - if it is even made.

2 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Trade
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-make-a-tron-vault-edition/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.