100%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7F57429F-2894-4ABC-947D-23DD08B049FF (resized).jpeg
38E4BCB0-BE07-4689-BEE4-59EC44AA0420 (resized).jpeg
35128E0F-F342-48AF-9671-7B51EBEBB29B (resized).jpeg
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

No more Trons. There's plenty out there.

#52 5 years ago

Every time Gary would publicly say "Nope, were not running any more TRONs. That one's done.", a few months latter, they'd run more Trons.

If the distributors give Stern feedback that people are still calling for Trons, Stern makes more.

Disney does not care if the 3rd movie got shelved. They are in business to license their properties.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every time Gary would publicly say "Nope, were not running any more TRONs. That one's done.", a few months latter, they'd run more Trons.
If the distributors give Stern feedback that people are still calling for Trons, Stern makes more.
Disney does not care if the 3rd movie got shelved. They are in business to license their properties.

When I did my Stern factory tour I was told that in a year they would be doing more AC/DCs. A year later it happened. I came on Pinside and reported it and no one believed me. They didn't really act like it was much of a secret so I was surprised no one on Pinside believed me. Just wondering if anyone has some inside info on Tron Vault. Looks like no one does. I don't think a Vault needs to be as much of a secret as a brand new pin like Maiden or Deadpool, although those new ones seem to be known well ahead of time too.

I know Tron Vault is discussed quite often on Pinside. The people that own it already or hate it say we don't need more. But the same could have been said for Ironman, Spiderman, AC/DC or Star Trek. It's pretty clear to me that a Tron Vault run makes as much sense as any of those other pins, if not more so.

#54 5 years ago

I recently traded a nearly new MET pro for a Tron pro with all the mods, ramp lights, color DMD, etc. Added $1,500 too. I looked all over to find someone willing to part with a very nice one. Mine was built in late 2012, and has 1200 plays since last update. No wear on the shooter lane or arcade scoop (with no Cliffy there yet). They are out there. Assuming my MET pro with mods was worth about $6k, I'm okay with $7500 for what it is. Another Tron pro owner wanted my new MET pro + $5,000 and was serious.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I recently traded a nearly new MET pro for a Tron pro with all the mods, ramp lights, color DMD, etc. Added $1,500 too. I looked all over to find someone willing to part with a very nice one. Mine was built in late 2012, and has 1200 plays since last update. No wear on the shooter lane or arcade scoop (with no Cliffy there yet). They are out there. Assuming my MET pro with mods was worth about $6k, I'm okay with $7500 for what it is. Another Tron pro owner wanted my new MET pro + $5,000 and was serious.

That's awesome. Although MET is the only pin we own and can't part with that one.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

... my LOTR LE maybe has 300 plays on it and I bought it NIB years ago...

how is this possible !? of course, i see 22 games in your collection
when i got TRON LE (with only 2 games home), we (with my son) keep it +/- 3 years, and putted... +/- 10.000 plays on it !
and i have to add, it was still in really perfect shape when i sold it

#57 5 years ago

He was referring to LOTR. 300 plays equals about 300 hours. Some spend that much time just modding Tron. Seriously though, I do hope they make a Tron Vault so everyone that desires it can have one. I would not wait. Find one and start enjoying it now because you never know if/when. Every day without a Tron is a day off the grid.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

how is this possible !? of course, i see 22 games in your collection
when i got TRON LE (with only 2 games home), we (with my son) keep it +/- 3 years, and putted... +/- 10.000 plays on it !
and i have to add, it was still in really perfect shape when i sold it

Like I said large collection. A lot of collectors have games that sit. I bought an x men a little while back with 5 plays original code.

35128E0F-F342-48AF-9671-7B51EBEBB29B (resized).jpeg35128E0F-F342-48AF-9671-7B51EBEBB29B (resized).jpeg38E4BCB0-BE07-4689-BEE4-59EC44AA0420 (resized).jpeg38E4BCB0-BE07-4689-BEE4-59EC44AA0420 (resized).jpeg
#59 5 years ago

proud tron pro owner here, modded like crazy. whats the fascination with swapping to drop targets? that changes the game so much, i get all kinds of ricochet points including the right flipper to tron target bump into the gem shot. what am i missing with the drop targets mod?

#60 5 years ago

My Tron LE had Premium on the box. Yeah, a run of LE-esque Tron’s would not go over well.

I never cared for the Tron base model myself and without the new bigger screens it would be outdated. For the price Stern would want today? No way.

#61 5 years ago

if VE is coming, it will be with the same DMD screen, and on the same system (SAM), dont wait for more

Quoted from raycasual:

proud tron pro owner here, modded like crazy. whats the fascination with swapping to drop targets? that changes the game so much, i get all kinds of ricochet points including the right flipper to tron target bump into the gem shot. what am i missing with the drop targets mod?

nothing, as its easier to get that GEM ricochet shoot with the stand-up
DAFT PUNK multiball was a nice + with the LE (well the PREMIUM) code

#62 5 years ago

TRON appears to be a reasonably easy machine to manufacture, and a stock pro is fairly spartan. I am surprised it is taking so long to get this out, it has to be in the queue somewhere. Disney will sell any license to anyone, so I doubt that is the problem. I would guess they are trying to figure out the balance where a VE includes the light wire rails, and maybe Daft Punk multiball, but is not an exact copy of the LE. No reason a TRON VE should be a $5500 machine and let the modders cash in on the upgrades, Stern will want some of the mod revenues for themselves.

#63 5 years ago

If a vault comes, expect it to be at or above market for used

#64 5 years ago

I found a distributor with a NIB Pro but damn the price is 8995.00!! I’m surprised folks at Stern have not been jumping all over releasing a VE. Question for those have been around this kind of stuff for a while. Is it worth waiting around for a VE if it comes out at all or spend the 6-7k on a modded up HUO Pro if you can find it?

#65 5 years ago

I would say if you really like the current game just go for it. The price will likely be comparable to any vault released. Would Stern really undercut their current line's prices? Plus, you really just never know when it'll actually be available. I hoped and hoped for a vault, then found the right deal on a HUO that made sense to me. Either way it's not going to be cheap though. It was just a game I had to have.

With Spider-Man I thought I'd love a vault of that, then it came out and I still prefer the original art and dots and callouts.

AC/DC vault on the other hand, has a lot of appeal for me(in theory, hadn't bought yet). The price is still up there, but I'm really glad that the price surge has lessened and there's more available to buy.

Guess I'm saying it's just hard to know if the vault will really be that perfect game at the perfect price if/when it ever comes out. I was tired of speculating haha

#66 5 years ago

I think that ship has sailed unless they make another movie.

#67 5 years ago

Everyone screamed for another run of ACDC ...Stern delivered and they didn't sell like hotcakes. Same screaming with Tron....you have the 50-75 people on Pinside who can't be bothered buying a nice used one, instead waiting years for that "magical vault" to be released. In the meantime, prices go up a couple thousand on the used machines. Here's a couple things to look at. 1) if Stern knew they would make a ton of money, they probably would run them. They are not dumb, but in the business for profit. 2) if they do run them, and used Pro's are in the $7k range, why the hell would they release a vault with LE features and price it lower than a used pro? 3) everyone was convinced this fall would be a Tron classic movie pin released.... where's that? Where's the regular vault? Sources confirmed it was going to happen but yet, here we are the end of 2018 and nothing.

It's cute that every so often a new "make Tron VE" comes up here, but damn, don't pop a woody over something that doesn't make business sense...Tron VE remake at a pro price with LE features is NOT going to happen. Just bite the bullet, buy a used game, and enjoy a modern classic. I really hope they do make another run, as it's a killer game.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

2) if they do run them, and used Pro's are in the $7k range, why the hell would they release a vault with LE features and price it lower than a used pro?

Because Stern only makes money when they sell new games.

They are not making any money when someone overpays for a used pro.

-

If that does not make sense, then think:

Q: Why did CGC start selling MMr for less than used MM were selling for?

A: Because CGC was not making any money from people buying used MM.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Not gonna happen

Wow, really? Why not? Any further insight?

Reading between the lines, almost everything lines up for this one. I've been thinking >50% chance it's close to the front of the line of VE's if not first.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If they redo Tron they really should do it with hand drawn art on the Spike 2 platform. ... Spike OS to brighten up the game and give some punch to the sound package.

Besides not making sense to redo for Spike 2, your "brighten" comment is not accurate. SAM uses high-power flashers that are way brighter than what Spike can achieve. But your perception shows that Stern has done a pretty good job with clever programming and use of the "flashers" (using that term loosely) that they do have. GB has a pretty good light show for example. But falls far short of what is capable on SAM, especially with mods (also not as feasible on Spike). Have you played AC/DC with lightning bolt -FLASHERS-?

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Not gonna happen

There are two other people on here that would potentially have knowledge of this that consistently post "never going to happen" every time this topic gets brought up. And now the above, who I also trust to often be accurate. I would love to know the reasoning behind "it's never going to happen".

I recall some people saying that the LE light tubes could no longer be made by the source that originally made them, but it seems like you could go with the other light tube mod at this point...

#72 5 years ago

I didn’t get any good interest on my modded Tron Pro $1200 in mods and I estimate less than 1000 plays. People were throwing lower offers than I was looking for so I guess people are pricing in the event of a Vault edition.

Anyway it probably won’t be priced like IMVE (I don’t think) because I paid $4.7k for both Tron and IMVE but that was 4-6 years ago.

My advice if you see one like I had for sale you should buy it, low offers will not be accepted.

I’m betting a total pro like the original will sell for $5600 (price fix) then you need to spend on mods you’re up to $7k.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

There are two other people on here that would potentially have knowledge of this that consistently post "never going to happen" every time this topic gets brought up.

We all remember when those Pinside **experts** said that AC/DC had raised their licensing fees 3x, so now renewing the license was simply impossible.

That kept used AC/DC prices sky-high.....well, until the re-run came out a year latter.

#74 5 years ago

My prediction is that:

- It will have an LCD
- Will be announced in the next year
- Will not be called Premium, just TRON Vault
- Will be very successful and kick ass

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Tron VE remake at a pro price with LE features is NOT going to happen.

A correct, and seemingly obvious statement......time to move on.....

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I didn’t get any good interest on my modded Tron Pro $1200 in mods and I estimate less than 1000 plays. People were throwing lower offers than I was looking for so I guess people are pricing in the event of a Vault edition.
Anyway it probably won’t be priced like IMVE (I don’t think) because I paid $4.7k for both Tron and IMVE but that was 4-6 years ago.
My advice if you see one like I had for sale you should buy it, low offers will not be accepted.
I’m betting a total pro like the original will sell for $5600 (price fix) then you need to spend on mods you’re up to $7k.

Crazy part is ton is not a good game. Merely a good theme and the lit up ramps kinda defined this game as the first to really bling. Seems people actually like modding it themself more than paying for already done or even playing the game tbt.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My prediction is that:
- It will have an LCD
- Will be announced in the next year
- Will not be called Premium, just TRON Vault
- Will be very successful and kick ass

Sounds good to me.

Stern can give it the Batman treatment.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Crazy part is ton is not a good game.

Apparently, all those who enjoy playing it are misinformed.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

A correct, and seemingly obvious statement......time to move on.....

Your LE is safe feature-wise. And agreed - TRON VE won't be cheap (not sure why anyone would think Stern won't price this as high as they can), but it will come.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Apparently, all those who enjoy playing it are misinformed.

nah, but people seem to like it for the theme and modding (totally OK and I get that) as much as anything. If they wanted it for the shot layout, they would get Congo or FH which are both better in geometry and where the layout was obviously pilfered from. The ruleset is also pretty weak compared to more modern Stern games.

I get that it is desirable, just think it has little to do with the overall play quality of the game. More about other things and probably really fun to mod out the game if you buy a stock one.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Booooo .... hisssssss

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Booooo .... hisssssss

I like Tron, but from seeing the discussion about it for more than 10 years it seems like the poster child for a game people like to obsess over, stare at, bling out, talk about on pinside... more than they actually play.

On a pure gameplay basis, for the price of a Tron there are more compelling options available. But I like the theme, I like the bling, I like the soundtrack... but I have to ask myself if it will get enough play to justify owning it.

#82 5 years ago

personally I love my Tron as its the best game I've had the pleasure of owning so far. But, I will say I bought(traded) it at the right time at the right price. With all the crazy new games out there I don't know if I would personally spend 7k on a reboot of the game. Just one mans opinion.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

personally I love my Tron as its the best game I've had the pleasure of owning so far. But, I will say I bought(traded) it at the right time at the right price. With all the crazy new games out there I don't know if I would personally spend 7k on a reboot of the game. Just one mans opinion.

I love it as well. Bought a NIB Pro for 4400 delivered and sold it for a profit after beating portal a few times. I can't see Stern putting enough extras to make a VE at premium pricing. If it happens, I would imagine it will be the bone stock Pro in the new cab, but with LEDs, obviously, and at current Pro pricing. Stern will leave the modding up to the purchaser.

#84 5 years ago

Priced right, I would take a Tron VE into consideration of purchase. As always, time will tell.
~Steveo

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I disagree. I think Tron is a good game.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Agreed - I love my Tron, which includes the gameplay! It's my #2 most played game.

Check the Tron club thread if you have a Pro and want to replace the TRON award sound effects with the voice callouts from the LE version

#87 5 years ago

Several years ago at the Expo when Batman 66 was revealed without game play. I was standing next to Gary Stern and another person described as the finance guy. I mentioned about rerunning Tron. They smiled but gave no comment.

I like to idea of a rerun, but right now I kind have moved on, mainly because I'm not sure I want to sell anything buy another pin.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

I hate when someone tries to put their opinions as facts.

Instead of saying I don’t like the game he says it’s not a good game.

I agree that it is great to bling out but if it was not a great game people would realize that and not be playing the heck out of. Maybe it’s too easy for some to get to Portal or whatever but that’s what I love. I have never got to Portal but been so close several times.

To me it’s like IM except you can spend even more on mods.

#89 5 years ago

I'd rather see Stern go back to the classics for a vault. Plenty of modern stern's are available HUO if you want one. Considering what games like quicksilver and star gazer are selling for there could be a market. Seems the Beatles is a throw back and if that sells well maybe they would consider it.

#90 5 years ago

I know the game has a cult popularity, I own one and think it's fun, but I just don't see there being enough interest without a film or something to make it work. The general public has already forgotten about the Legacy movie I'm sure.

I'm not playing mine, I keep thinking about selling it but don't. If I ever do decide to sell that's when they'll announce the vault, so I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to summon it.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Several years ago at the Expo when Batman 66 was revealed without game play. I was standing next to Gary Stern and another person described as the finance guy. I mentioned about rerunning Tron. They smiled but gave no comment.
I like to idea of a rerun, but right now I kind have moved on, mainly because I'm not sure I want to sell anything buy another pin.

This is the first small hint I've heard of real evidence a vault might be possible. It's not much to go on, but it's something.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know the game has a cult popularity, I own one and think it's fun, but I just don't see there being enough interest without a film or something to make it work. The general public has already forgotten about the Legacy movie I'm sure.
I'm not playing mine, I keep thinking about selling it but don't. If I ever do decide to sell that's when they'll announce the vault, so I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to summon it.

Yea but there really is no interest in anyone watching the old Batman show, but nostalgia of the classic show made it possible for a Batman 66 pin. I'd long forgotten about that show until the pin. I watched every episode as a young kid but as an adult I have zero interest in watching it, a little too goofy acting and writing.

#93 5 years ago

I just want a pin that I can turn on and play several times a week and just have fun trying to complete easy to understand code. No more JJP pins for me as I don't like the code complexity. I want something newer so I don't have to fix on a 90s pin. Tron seems to check off all the boxes for me. For the record, at this point I don't have any opinion on whether there will be a Vault, Stern either has no interest at all or they are actually keeping it secret for the first time ever.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I hate when someone tries to put their opinions as facts.

Instead of saying I don’t like the game he says it’s not a good game.

it is a forum dude...

you should read EVERY post with "in my opinion" on the back end of it.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I just want a pin that I can turn on and play several times a week and just have fun trying to complete easy to understand code. No more JJP pins for me as I don't like the code complexity. I want something newer so I don't have to fix on a 90s pin. Tron seems to check off all the boxes for me. For the record, at this point I don't have any opinion on whether there will be a Vault, Stern either has no interest at all or they are actually keeping it secret for the first time ever.

If the Tron prices are not in your desires, look at Iron Man and Avatar. Both of those games have basic and easy to understand code, provides for quick games and still a lot of fun to play. I know throwing in Avatar into that mix will raise some eyebrows but I find it a fun game to play.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from ZEN:

Nah, Whysnow is 100% on target here. Tron isn't a good game. It's a GREAT game

I do get it though. It's a bit of a polarizing game. Not to many people are in the middle. Either they really love the game or it's just so so for them. Their isn't a lot to do but for me it's the theme integration and sounds that keep me coming back. That and the fact that every time I press start I feel like I have a shot at the Wizard mode without needing 20+mins of time to play the game.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I know throwing in Avatar into that mix will raise some eyebrows but I find it a fun game to play.

Avatar is a so much fun.... and not very expensive. 8 yrs next month since I bought mine and I still play it regularly.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

If they do a 1982 version that should have been done in the first place i'm definitely in

Might be the first time I consider ordering a game on layaway/credit card...

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

If they do a 1982 version that should have been done in the first place i'm definitely in

Yeah that would be cool, but the daft punk music in the background is like 40% of what makes the game so awesome!

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Yea but there really is no interest in anyone watching the old Batman show, but nostalgia of the classic show made it possible for a Batman 66 pin.

Sure, but there ain't no nostalgia for Tron Legacy, it was a forgettable movie with a great soundtrack that faded into obscurity quickly. Batman 66 is a timeless classic everyone knows.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, but there ain't no nostalgia for Tron Legacy, it was a forgettable movie with a great soundtrack that faded into obscurity quickly. Batman 66 is a timeless classic everyone knows.

How would one have nostalgia for an 8 year old movie?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-please-make-a-tron-vault-edition/page/2?hl=djnoel30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.