(Topic ID: 278198)

Stern Pirates Wont Add Credits Or Turn On Freeplay...

By marcocapetown

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So having a very weird issue on a Stern Pirates.
    Game wont set to freeplay at all, also when i add credit all the display says is "Insert Coins".
    Volume is at Full, But i cant turn it down. There also is no sound, just speaker hum and sometimes a weird noise.

I would love to Repair this board, just have no idea what chip/chips could be the problem. Maybe Ram?
    Sound i guess could be u16 from my research. but i am unable to even play the game at this point.

I have updated the code to latest and it did not change anything, battery is also fine.
    Its a crazy Expensive board so i hope someone can shed some light. thanks

I have uploaded a video of the problems.

#2 3 years ago

Your optical switches aren't showing in switch test. Check the driver board for blown fuses or loose connectors. Also check trough opto board connectors and under playfield opto board connectors. With the game powered on and the coin door closed, look for lit LEDs under each fuse on the driver board.

Is this a USA game? No idea what it should be for Cape Town.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Your optical switches aren't showing in switch test. Check the driver board for blown fuses or loose connectors. Also check trough opto board connectors and under playfield opto board connectors. With the game powered on and the coin door closed, look for lit LEDs under each fuse on the driver board.
    Is this a USA game? No idea what it should be for Cape Town.

if its the optos causing this i would be surprised but then again ive seen some weird stuff in my time...
    i was figuring a memory cut off switch could be the issue, but i dont think sam system uses that, unless im mistaken.

i will have to check what country the game is set to. probably usa on the jumpers but ive messed with that before just to rule it out and didnt change a thing.

#4 3 years ago

Test the voltages on the power supply, especially 5v and 12v. I would imagine one of them being low.

#5 3 years ago

Well good news its fixed. It was indeed a problem with the 12 volt. Never would have figured that could be the issue.

I tested 12 volt on the test point of the power supply it was there, but when i tested 12 volt on the connector going to the cpu board nothing.

So i took out the power supply and there was a broken trace, from what i recall a very thin one on the solder side of the board going to the bridge, after i fixed the broken trace the game worked fine.

thanks again, i really figured it was a cpu board problem

#6 3 years ago

With any odd problems, measuring the voltages is always a good place to start.

Play ball!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pirates-wont-add-credits-or-turn-on-freeplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.