(Topic ID: 196941)

Stern Pirates of the Caribbean - spinning disc possible issue?

By parabola

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by parabola
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi

I'm new to owning a pin and have a pretty good condition PoTC machine. For the first few weeks the spinning disk would cause the ball to hit maybe 4 or 5 of the pads each time the ball went there, but recently the ball is maybe hitting 1 bumper before dropping out and it's fairly consistent and noticeable from what it was like

What do you guys think may be at issue here? because I'm new to owning feel free to tick off the very basics, I'm going to give it a clean and maybe a squirt underneath with and air can at the weekend in case dust is slowing it down or something, but any ideas would be great, cheers

#2 6 years ago

just to better understand what's going on. Do you mean that the ball is instantly kicked out, or does the disk stop spinning altogether?

#3 6 years ago

Clean the disc surface as you said, and down the road you can get a new decal for the top because yours could be worn down and have some embedded dirt.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

just to better understand what's going on. Do you mean that the ball is instantly kicked out, or does the disk stop spinning altogether?

it still spins and to the eye doesn't seem to be slower but the ball just seems to naturally fall through the hole after a very short amount of time, so i'm wondering if it's not up to full speed

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Clean the disc surface as you said, and down the road you can get a new decal for the top because yours could be worn down and have some embedded dirt.

Thanks I've seen some decals online so i'll have a look!

#5 6 years ago

I've been having another look today and there's a pin just below the spinner that occasionally pops up to hold the ball in the area while it gains momentum then disappears to give it a chance of draining, but 9 times out of 10 it's not popping up to let the ball spin up which is why i think it's draining so fast

I've gone through the menu and activated that pin and it came up everytime i hit the button so it seems ok, i assumed it'd be triggered by the same sensor that starts the disk spinning but perhaps it isn't (There's an optic near the top of the lane which i'd assume does it) and whatever triggers it specifically needs adjusting?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from parabola:

I've been having another look today and there's a pin just below the spinner that occasionally pops up to hold the ball in the area while it gains momentum then disappears to give it a chance of draining, but 9 times out of 10 it's not popping up to let the ball spin up which is why i think it's draining so fast
I've gone through the menu and activated that pin and it came up everytime i hit the button so it seems ok, i assumed it'd be triggered by the same sensor that starts the disk spinning but perhaps it isn't (There's an optic near the top of the lane which i'd assume does it) and whatever triggers it specifically needs adjusting?

If memory serves, it's the lower switch at the gate or base of the ramp that tells the relay to start the disc motor but it's the opto at the drop point that lets the game know that the ball is actually there entering the disc area. So check the opto in switch test, also check the settings because the difficulty level determines whether the post comes up (not sure on this last point).

#7 6 years ago

Ah thanks, I'll do a switch-test after work and check that! Because it's intermittent i was wondering if the ball wasn't directing over the switch properly, so i'll look at that definitely in the test and if that's ok i'll see how the ball mightn't be directed properly

I 'd wondered if my wife might've changed the difficulty for port royal but it was still medium when i went in to check earlier so that much is the same, and it's definitely more difficult than it had been in the same setting so at least it looks like possibilities are narrowing down

#8 6 years ago

ah ok so in the diags that switch fails

The red light's on though, but blocking it just doesn't register, what could the problem with that be? just seems very counter intuitive to me that that could be possible

and an even bigger newbie question: if the light is never reaching the other side at all why doesn't the switch just register as constantly triggered on?

#9 6 years ago

so my wife was going through the circuit diagrams in the manual and noticed there's a transmitter AND receiver on each side whereas i just thought it was one of each in the overall switch. so even though it looked on, when she blocked one the other side was dim, i just thought one side would be a transmitter and one a receiver so it looks like she's hopefully found out what it was.

it's a cheap component to replace if the connections turn out to be fine so it'll be her job to replace that and my work is done hopefully

#10 6 years ago

Stern calls the part a transceiver. Follow it to the little board underneath the playfield that controls it chech for pulled back wires and so on.

#11 6 years ago

Willdo, thanks!

#12 6 years ago

Looks like the connection just came loose. Unplugged them, put them back in, said the magic words "hm don't think it was that; it all looked ok". packed it all up, did another switch test in case and it's all fine \o/

#13 6 years ago

The same part can be used on the transmitter side or the receiver side which is why Stern calls it a transceiver. It does not function as a transceiver once installed in the game. One side lights up and the other detects the light or lack of light.

The transceivers are notorious for developing bad solder joints over time on the LED pins and wire connection points. Either reflow the solder joints or have some spares on-hand (they are not very expensive).

#14 6 years ago

yeah i costed them at around £7 when i was looking. I haven't soldered in about 18 years so i think i'd reflow as a "may as well" option while waiting on a replacement that's already on the way ha

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 218.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pirates-of-the-caribbean-spinning-disc-possible-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.