(Topic ID: 151099)

Stern Pins Vs Williams

By GPS

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thetriumphofdeath_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_(1)_(resized).jpg
    blade-runner-700_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_2_o_o_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    WP_20151226_17_51_28_Pro_(resized).jpg
    starship_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 8 years ago

Let me start by saying that I am not a Star Trek fan at all. Nor a Star Wars fan. However, I am a fan of pinball. I also recognize that the TV show STTNG is an 19 Emmy award winning show, and one of the best TV shows of all time in my opinion. Still does not make me a fan of "Star Trek" per say.

So on to the STTNG pin... I should love it. I grew up playing it. I estimate that I have played it 300-400 times and this is likely on 15-20 different machines over the last 12 years years. I JUST CAN'T STAND THE GAME. The game tries to be funny and it's not. Video mode you can memorize. The play field is poorly designed with a lot of wasted space. Cannons rarely work properly. Right outlane is invisible. The gameplay is ok, but actually seems CLUNKIER (if that's a word) than IJ from the same time in pinball. I will say that the ramps are very well designed. I kept passing up STTNG machines for 2500 two and three at a time around 5 years ago. I know people are thinking, "why?". The reason is because the game is just not for me. Coming from someone that grew up watching STTNG on TV and realizing that it is an amazing show... I still can't stand STTNG as a pinball.

I DO like the new Stern Star Trek pinball. No idea about what movie it's based on... don't know, don't care. It is a great game.
    Now that Star Trek Pro is generally cheaper than STTNG (no idea why), it makes buying a STPRO all the more apealing.

Also, I move all the games I own myself for the most part. I have one wide body and I am content with just one at the moment. Had an IJ, played it 2500 times and traded it years ago. They are heavy but I never complain about moving pins or arcades. NO EXCUSES. You can always pay someone to move your stuff for you... It's just part of the hobby.

So to elaborate on the OP's concerns, I understand exactly where you're at on STTNG. I would certainly play it at least 20 times to determine if you want to buy it. I would also suggest the same for anyone that is considering buying any pin at all. That is the single biggest reason why I think shows are the best place to shop for a pin. You may not buy one there, bit it is a fantastic place to play a bunch of games all in one day.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'll bite, although having looked at a random selection of about 20 of your posts on various threads, none of them contain any substance, and a fair few are derogatory, especially if there's criticism against a machine you own.
    Where do you get the impression that I need to go to the gym? Nowhere have I said that I couldn't lift it. I said that it was heavier in comparison to other machines. I could be able to lift 500kg with one finger and ST:TNG would still be heavier than most other machines.
    I'm guessing your name is dung because you are just full of $h!t.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Star Trek The Next Generation is the best pinball machine ever created.

Well, it certainly is to you. I implore the fact that there is no such thing as the single "best pinball machine ever created".

What is the single best painting ever created?
    What is the single best movie ever created?
    What is the single best hamburger ever created?

You see how what you are suggesting is a figment of your own imagination?

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

What is the single best hamburger ever created?
    *From Charlie Nagreen.
    He is not only my relative he was an "American claimant to the title of inventor of the hamburger in 1885".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Nagreen
    So, not a figment of my imagination. It is a documented.. Fact. So, I technically have hamburger in my blood... I know my hamburgers man!

Still not the single best. There is no such thing. The creator of a thing only makes it possible, not the best. Best is a matter of opinion.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Triumph of Death
    Pieter Brueghel the Elder
    1562 AD, Renaissance
    Realism painting
    Museo del Prado
    Madrid, Spain
    Extreme depth of detail at full size.
    Available at 3/4 SIZE (maximum) at Posters.com.
    Museum quality glicee recommended.
    You will need a big wall...

Again, does not exist. Best is a matter of opinion.

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZombiePartie:

There are a few exceptions like MET and Tron, though neither of those compare to the best Williams has produced.

In what specific ways are you suggesting the games vid mentioned are inferior? In my humble opinion, they each have their good and bad quirks.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZombiePartie:

There are a few exceptions like MET and Tron, though neither of those compare to the best Williams has produced. Compare Star Treks and IJ versions Stern vs Williams, Stern doesn't come close. Not to hate but there is too much unwarranted love around here for Stern.

That is one bad example and one good example, in my opinion. I prefer to play the Stern Star Trek and I could care less about Star Trek in it's own right. Both games are great.

However, pointing out one of Stern's worst games in my opinion does nothing for this comparison. You might as well compare Stern IJ to Bally/Williams Harley-Davidson, Gilligan's Island, or Popeye if you want to be fair about "the worst"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pins-vs-williams?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.