(Topic ID: 151099)

Stern Pins Vs Williams

By GPS

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thetriumphofdeath_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_(1)_(resized).jpg
    blade-runner-700_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_2_o_o_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    WP_20151226_17_51_28_Pro_(resized).jpg
    starship_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Thats part of my hangup Kneissel, I really like the ST TNG as I enjoy Patrick Stewart as Picard. Would likie to find one that is not $4K+ but again, after seeing it played on YT, seemed like it was just OK. Guess I have to play one and either fall in love or move on.

Since I have the thread about potentially trading my STTNG for a stern let me play devil's advocate.

STTNG is a ranked 15 on here for a reason. It has more on it than any stern ever made. Stern doesn't use subways. They have never had more than 1 cannon on a game. Compare STTNG to the new Star Trek Premium. There is more to it.

To compare the new Star Trek vs STTNG. STTNG has longer shots due to being a wide body. On the new the delta ramp was made easier to hit, but I don't find that to be better. With STTNG when you hit the warp it feels like an accomplishment vs a gimme.

The new one and new sterns for that matter have deeper code. STTNG is a brutal game. There is plenty to do, but it is not incredibly deep. There is enough there to give you a few strategies for scoring points. It just is not going to have you holding the flipper in the middle of the game trying to remember 10 pages of rules to figure out the best way to points. Instead you will play, lose in under 2 minutes, play again, and again and again until you have one monster game you won't believe happened.

Why are they 4k+? They are a pita to shop. There are a lot of expensive items to replace. Cannon wiring harness, cannon covers crack, ramps crack, playfield wear, teal inserts can get melted from the flashers beneath, head decals are blue when scratched, borg ship warps, 5v reset, etc etc

Why then would I debate trading mine? I've owned it twice now and am always looking to try something new.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

No one will be able to convince me that TAF, MB, MM etc. are better than ACDC, MET, ST for lights, depth, sound rules etc.
    Back on topic. I always found ST:TNG to be a complete drain monster around the outlanes, it could be that I wasn't as good as I am now back then but have never really lost that opinion of it.
    Also if you do buy a ST:TNG you will not believe just how heavy that thing is compared to just about any other game!

They aren't, but the older B/W titles are ranked high for various reasons. Shot layouts, toys, light shows, sound, etc.

I have an STTNG and I've played the new trek. New trek is meh. Yes, ruleset is deeper and the shot layout is very similar. It is not as good. STTNG had the original cast doing custom callouts, the new one meh. Also, superpins are 50lbs heavier than standard. They have more stuff and they are going to weigh more. As for not believing how heavy it is perhaps you should hit the gym. Does wonders for your health and those super heavy widebodies don't feel nearly as heavy.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'll bite, although having looked at a random selection of about 20 of your posts on various threads, none of them contain any substance, and a fair few are derogatory, especially if there's criticism against a machine you own.
    Where do you get the impression that I need to go to the gym? Nowhere have I said that I couldn't lift it. I said that it was heavier in comparison to other machines. I could be able to lift 500kg with one finger and ST:TNG would still be heavier than most other machines.
    I'm guessing your name is dung because you are just full of $h!t.

Because you are whining that a machine that remains stationary while you use it is heavy. As an argument it contains no substance. As for defending a machine I own? I have a topic in the market asking if I should trade it. No one said to trade it for a stern. Not one said oh yes, get rid of the old B/W title because new sterns are superior. Nada, the only one hurt here is you. Now go lift that 500kg

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, I think one of those reasons is nostalgia, which is worthless in a rating, but takes a lot of impact.

Look at the average age of collectors. If nostalgia was the driving factor system 11's and early ss would rank higher / bring more money. You are more likely to see the titles drop if LCDs become big and make those nostalgic B/W titles dated.

Quoted from markmon:

As owner of both, I agree the theme is much better integrated in STTNG. But the shots in STTNG are harder to hit and the result is that the game does not flow nearly as well as ST Stern. ST Stern has wider ramp openings and the ramps are closer to the flippers making them easier to hit. The result is a super smooth shooting game that is easy to flow shots. In the end, Stern game is in my house, STTNG is migrated to the workshop / storage.

Easier != better. Yes, you can rape the delta ramp in ST. You also don't get any feeling of accomplishment from it. If you like it great, but it doesn't make it superior.

Quoted from markmon:

Being heavier is not a positive. It's a negative. The game should only be as heavy as it needs to be to not fall apart. None of my stern games are falling apart due to being too light.

None of the stern games are widebodies nor do they have near the amount of shit that sits on STTNG. A modern argument would be WOZ, not anything Stern has put out. The game is physically larger and has more features, it is going to weigh more. If you want to make a point then show us why Superpins or WOZ for that matter are unnecessarily heavy.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

It is kind of funny but I guess I find games like Addams and sttng have the perfect amount of software to where it doesn't ever seem to get boring for me. In general I like stern and Bally Williams, but playing today a game like wcs94 feels like a more complete package to me than when I have had a chance to play a newer Stern like Kiss which seemed rather basic.

Kiss probably isn't a fair comparison. The code is incomplete and could take another 2.5 years before we know where it ends up. Stern and williams both had their fair share of abandoned games codewise anyways so WCS vs Monopoly maybe? They run in the same price range, they are both complete.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Why is it not fair? In a few months Kiss pro will be a year old since release. When Stern puts a complete product together like LOTR they knock it out of the park. But B/W did it more often. WCS & Monopoly? Is Monopoly complete? When I owned it there was no way to light community chest. But OK. They are both around $2K right? Monopoly is now 15 years old and down to that price and WCS is 22 years old and up to the price. Pinside rates WCS as #49 and Monopoly at #164.

LOTR was on sale for a long time and was developed because the programmer made it a pet project. B/W code was not done 1 year after it came out. Go on RGP and do some digging. It took time for them to become the polished games we love today.
    Mind you some could still use some polishing.

1 week later
    #107 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZombiePartie:

There are a few exceptions like MET and Tron, though neither of those compare to the best Williams has produced. Compare Star Treks and IJ versions Stern vs Williams, Stern doesn't come close. Not to hate but there is too much unwarranted love around here for Stern.

Stern IJ vs Williams IJ is not exactly a fair comparison. Stern IJ is just not a good game and sold poorly. B/W had its fair share of duds too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pins-vs-williams?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.