(Topic ID: 151099)

Stern Pins Vs Williams

By GPS

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thetriumphofdeath_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_(1)_(resized).jpg
    blade-runner-700_(resized).jpg
    The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_2_o_o_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    WP_20151226_17_51_28_Pro_(resized).jpg
    starship_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Because you are whining that a machine that remains stationary while you use it is heavy.

Hey everybody! This guy can't tilt!

I'll give my 2 cents on Stern vs. everyone else, though. For a long time I thought "eh, Sterns just are not for me" because I really enjoyed the original themes and how a lot of it harkened back to my childhood and what I remembered seeing in arcades. There was tons of little toys and such that really made the games seem like these tiny little dioramas...the games felt "full". Comparing those to Stern, especially the dark ages older Sterns and the pro models, the Sterns just felt barren and empty. That was my surface impression.

When I got my first pin, Tales Of The Arabian Nights, a few years back, I had not played pins since the 90's in arcades. I basically learned to be a better player on TOTAN; to understand how rulesets work, how to exploit points, control the ball properly, get my shots where I wanted them to go via understanding of geometry, etc. When I got to the level of playing that it was actually a possibility to hit those end-game modes, I realized that you quickly "run out of game" on older pins. That doesn't mean they are not fun to play, nor does it mean that you can walk up to a machine and be a master on it in an afternoon, it just means that at a certain point you will have a certain skillset and understanding of that game to know how to consistently put up high point games. In comparison, the deeper rulesets of the modern Stern games will give you a bit more depth and flexibility in *how* you get to that point. That gives the games more replayability, if not more depth (in terms of how deep you can go into the game before you "run out of game"). Combine that with the (occasional) code updates coming in from Stern (which you are not getting on older machines), and you end up with games that are very rewarding for seasoned players. Maybe older games were more straightforward in their learning curve and with presenting what you need to do, but, any game is going to be confusing until you learn the rules. Stern Star Trek has good, deep rules, but you can also just shoot whatever lights up. You can exploit certain scoring methods on TOTAN to build up your game to ridiculous scores...or you can just shoot the genie and then shoot whatever lights up. I have plenty of pinball newbies come by my place and just not really get that pinball has rules or depth to it, and then when I explain how modes and scoring and such works to them, then you can see them actually trying to shoot for specific things instead of just trying to stop the ball from going down the center.

But what about the toys?! Well, because modern Stern's are becoming so much more popular, there is more of a market for the mods that, formerly, were dominated by old machines that were now in homes. Will a Pro model look barren out of box? Sure, but my TOTAN was no looker from the factory, the factory lamp, for example, was bland and ugly. Older playfields look better, no question...really, the older games art packages are almost always better, but you have to realize that once you're deep into the rulesets and gameplay you don't care about the art. The art is great for when you're not playing.

As for reliability: it's going to break, no matter what it is. Old or new, it's going to break. And you're going to need to learn how to fix it. You will often be in WAY over your head and just think "I hate this thing so much", but then you come to pinside, and ask for help, and, eventually, you fix it. Eventually, you might even learn a thing or two! But probably not, you'll probably just talk out your ass about how much you know but never help anyone else out in the tech forums because you're too lazy. Probably.

Can a newbie walk up to either a Stern or B/W and play it and enjoy it? Absolutely. Will a seasoned player be able to enjoy either? Sure. Both are good, it just comes down to two things: how much money do you want to spend, and what do you want to spend that money on. My answer to those questions are: all of it, all the things.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

When I got my first pin, Tales Of The Arabian Nights, a few years back, I had not played pins since the 90's in arcades. I basically learned to be a better player on TOTAN; ... I realized that you quickly "run out of game" on older pins. .

TOTAN is one of the best looking games ever made. But it is also shallow and easy to defeat. And when you have the game at home and learn to exploit things like skipping harder modes and even 2 modes when the ruby is lit you can get through quick and easy. This is probably one of the worst games to use as an example when comparing depth. Yes, you can run out of game easy with this one.

But - when I see a new game next to one of these masterpieces -

You might not "play" the artwork. But you can feel the game. Playfield, plastics, cabinet and backglass are all beautiful. Not cheap photo shop art slapped on. The dots and sounds grab you with show like during lighting lamp. You never see stuff like the shooting Stars ball saver. Man, a cage that surrounds the ball. Interactive toys like the lamp and genie. Its hard to believe it is only one ramp with diverters and magnets. A magnet that grabs the ball and sucks it into the playfield! Wholly S---.

To bad it was designed by a guy who turned into a total A-hole.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

They aren't, but the older B/W titles are ranked high for various reasons. Shot layouts, toys, light shows, sound, etc.

Unfortunately, I think one of those reasons is nostalgia, which is worthless in a rating, but takes a lot of impact.

Quoted from dung:

I have an STTNG and I've played the new trek. New trek is meh. Yes, ruleset is deeper and the shot layout is very similar. It is not as good. STTNG had the original cast doing custom callouts, the new one meh.

As owner of both, I agree the theme is much better integrated in STTNG. But the shots in STTNG are harder to hit and the result is that the game does not flow nearly as well as ST Stern. ST Stern has wider ramp openings and the ramps are closer to the flippers making them easier to hit. The result is a super smooth shooting game that is easy to flow shots. In the end, Stern game is in my house, STTNG is migrated to the workshop / storage.

Quoted from dung:

Also, superpins are 50lbs heavier than standard. They have more stuff and they are going to weigh more. As for not believing how heavy it is perhaps you should hit the gym. Does wonders for your health and those super heavy widebodies don't feel nearly as heavy.

Being heavier is not a positive. It's a negative. The game should only be as heavy as it needs to be to not fall apart. None of my stern games are falling apart due to being too light.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Worked on a ton of W/B machines & own a TZ...but still the first time you look under the hood of a ST:NG...wow

Haha, yes. A couple days ago I decided to clean the subway, which was very dirty, and also the 3 VUKs. in order to do so, I had to disassemble quite a lot of the stuff under there, and for a while I was feeling a bit like poor Herbie Hart who took his thromdimbulator apart...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, I think one of those reasons is nostalgia, which is worthless in a rating, but takes a lot of impact.

Look at the average age of collectors. If nostalgia was the driving factor system 11's and early ss would rank higher / bring more money. You are more likely to see the titles drop if LCDs become big and make those nostalgic B/W titles dated.

Quoted from markmon:

As owner of both, I agree the theme is much better integrated in STTNG. But the shots in STTNG are harder to hit and the result is that the game does not flow nearly as well as ST Stern. ST Stern has wider ramp openings and the ramps are closer to the flippers making them easier to hit. The result is a super smooth shooting game that is easy to flow shots. In the end, Stern game is in my house, STTNG is migrated to the workshop / storage.

Easier != better. Yes, you can rape the delta ramp in ST. You also don't get any feeling of accomplishment from it. If you like it great, but it doesn't make it superior.

Quoted from markmon:

Being heavier is not a positive. It's a negative. The game should only be as heavy as it needs to be to not fall apart. None of my stern games are falling apart due to being too light.

None of the stern games are widebodies nor do they have near the amount of shit that sits on STTNG. A modern argument would be WOZ, not anything Stern has put out. The game is physically larger and has more features, it is going to weigh more. If you want to make a point then show us why Superpins or WOZ for that matter are unnecessarily heavy.

#56 8 years ago

Stern trek is fun and has amazing flow, and depth for a decent pinballers lifetime it's also a barren wasteland compared to the average 90s Williams pin as far as gadgets go. As mentioned earlier the call outs are weak at best compared to sttng. Sttng isn't half the speed and has some clunk. In the end both games are great and earned their rank on pinside legitimately.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Easier != better. Yes, you can rape the delta ramp in ST. You also don't get any feeling of accomplishment from it. If you like it great, but it doesn't make it superior.

Easier game != better game. But I think easier shots makes for a lot more fun. It's way more fun to be flowing shots than bricking shots. Star Trek has uniquely easy to hit shots and the flow is top notch. I bet it would be the best shooting white wood in the world.

#58 8 years ago

What is the last game that had a filled out playfield, TSPP? It seems like with stern you get one type of a game, or in the least a lot of them feel similar. With Williams, you had games like JM, TZ, and BSD. The code is more deep with stern but I don't think that is as important as it is made out to be. If you don't like cluttered playfields, you probably will think that Sterns are all better.

#59 8 years ago

It is kind of funny but I guess I find games like Addams and sttng have the perfect amount of software to where it doesn't ever seem to get boring for me. In general I like stern and Bally Williams, but playing today a game like wcs94 feels like a more complete package to me than when I have had a chance to play a newer Stern like Kiss which seemed rather basic.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

It is kind of funny but I guess I find games like Addams and sttng have the perfect amount of software to where it doesn't ever seem to get boring for me. In general I like stern and Bally Williams, but playing today a game like wcs94 feels like a more complete package to me than when I have had a chance to play a newer Stern like Kiss which seemed rather basic.

Kiss probably isn't a fair comparison. The code is incomplete and could take another 2.5 years before we know where it ends up. Stern and williams both had their fair share of abandoned games codewise anyways so WCS vs Monopoly maybe? They run in the same price range, they are both complete.

#61 8 years ago

Can't recall too many Bally Williams that felt as basic playing as Kiss. Monopoly is a fun game as well. The depth of code usually takes a pretty long time to develop.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Kiss probably isn't a fair comparison. The code is incomplete and could take another 2.5 years before we know where it ends up. Stern and williams both had their fair share of abandoned games codewise anyways so WCS vs Monopoly maybe? They run in the same price range, they are both complete.

Why is it not fair? In a few months Kiss pro will be a year old since release. When Stern puts a complete product together like LOTR they knock it out of the park. But B/W did it more often. WCS & Monopoly? Is Monopoly complete? When I owned it there was no way to light community chest. But OK. They are both around $2K right? Monopoly is now 15 years old and down to that price and WCS is 22 years old and up to the price. Pinside rates WCS as #49 and Monopoly at #164.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Why is it not fair? In a few months Kiss pro will be a year old since release. When Stern puts a complete product together like LOTR they knock it out of the park. But B/W did it more often. WCS & Monopoly? Is Monopoly complete? When I owned it there was no way to light community chest. But OK. They are both around $2K right? Monopoly is now 15 years old and down to that price and WCS is 22 years old and up to the price. Pinside rates WCS as #49 and Monopoly at #164.

LOTR was on sale for a long time and was developed because the programmer made it a pet project. B/W code was not done 1 year after it came out. Go on RGP and do some digging. It took time for them to become the polished games we love today.
    Mind you some could still use some polishing.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

LOTR was on sale for a long time and was developed because the programmer made it a pet project. B/W code was not done 1 year after it came out. Go on RGP and do some digging. It took time for them to become the polished games we love today.
    Mind you some could still use some polishing.

Read the ROM revision sheets. Most changes were fixes for coinage and language type fixes. Bug fixes would be for things like timing issues so coils would not burn out. Not complete modes missing and wondering a year later if it will ever be complete. If we still had to change chips what is happening today would not be acceptable. I still have 1.0 in my MM, how does that game rate? Your example of using WCS only have ROM L-2 and I doubt it was not being worked on a year later. Neither is perfect. B/W had some clunkers. I'm just saying percent wise I love standing at a B/W game over newer ones.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Because software wise, kiss and wwe are really nothing like all their other recent games. That makes Kiss not the typical game for a software comparison.

#66 8 years ago

B/W has that buttery smooth flipping. Stern can never match there mechanics for flipper mechs. However Stern does put out fun games and there code and lighting is far superior to B/W. Im just glad we have the option to choose. You cant go wrong with either they are just different.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

B/W has that buttery smooth flipping. Stern can never match there mechanics for flipper mechs.

Disagree. Stern flippers feel every bit as good.

#68 8 years ago

Star Trek The Next Generation is the best pinball machine ever created.

#69 8 years ago

I suppose a lot also comes down to the ability of the player. I can't think of a single non Stern game I can't get to the wizard mode on a regular basis, meaning I don't find them a challenge.
    I moved Lotr, BDK, AC-DC, SM on as soon as I was able to reach and complete the wizard mode on a regular basis as well.
    Different people look for different things in a game.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I suppose a lot also comes down to the ability of the player. I can't think of a single non Stern game I can't get to the wizard mode on a regular basis, meaning I don't find them a challenge.
    I moved Lotr, BDK, AC-DC, SM on as soon as I was able to reach and complete the wizard mode on a regular basis as well.

You must be amazing if you can get to acdc encore, valinor and super hero regularly. Seriously.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You must be amazing if you can get to acdc encore, valinor and super hero regularly. Seriously.

That's for sure For LOTR, I have to imagine WJxxxx is referring to destroying the ring? (which is pretty easy to achieve). Getting to "Encore" is super hard (never done it)...can't imagine what wizard mode he's referencing. If it's Encore, maybe he has the game set to 12 balls...one for each song. That would make it easier! Guess it all depends on how his machine is setup!

#72 8 years ago

Nah, look at his high scores, he's crushing it.

But, back on topic, if we were to agree that older non-stern pins are easier to get to wizard mode on, my question is this: does it have to do with anything else besides code? Is there that striking of a difference between geometry, flipper power/feel, spacing of the pf, etc?

Edit for clarity: A difference between Stern and non-Stern, I mean.

#73 8 years ago

Sterns remind me more of sys 11s with deeper code and lower buld quality and art. Very fun games, but are mostly not compleate package games like some of the bw.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Stern machines are not as robust as older Bally/Williams and a lot of people think they feel cheap. But where Stern has the edge is game code, depth, and fun. Stern pins grab you, take you for a ride , and leave you wanting more. There is just no comparison in my opinion and the reliability is great. Sure every pinball needs maintenance as things break, but Sterns just work and keep working.

Good perspective. To distill this down to the basics: Stern=Software, Williams=Hardware. It's a matter of what you want to pay for.

#75 8 years ago

To me it's not really a good comparison. JJP are more of a modern BW. Stuffed with features, fantastic theme integration, complex playfields and great art packages, sound and lighting - plus the modern code to go with it. Stern very much still feel like they're the successors of DE/Sega, and they are both figuratively and literally. They have some definite winners, and code has improved enormously, but given the very hit or miss nature of their art, theme integration, some obvious cost cutting, use of DMD and sounds (and sometimes generic pfs / features) ... it's getting hard to see how the new prices can be justified - especially outside the US.

I'm just glad that competition and choice are finally coming. At these prices we should have it all.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Star Trek The Next Generation is the best pinball machine ever created.

Well, it certainly is to you. I implore the fact that there is no such thing as the single "best pinball machine ever created".

What is the single best painting ever created?
    What is the single best movie ever created?
    What is the single best hamburger ever created?

You see how what you are suggesting is a figment of your own imagination?

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_2_o_o_(resized).jpgThe_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_2_o_o_(resized).jpg

Quoted from snyper2099:

What is the single best movie ever created?

Blade Runner

blade-runner-700_(resized).jpgblade-runner-700_(resized).jpg

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

That's the hell portion, here's the full triptych...

The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_(1)_(resized).jpgThe_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution_(1)_(resized).jpg

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You see how what you are suggesting is a figment of your own imagination?

*From Charlie Nagreen.
    He is not only my relative he was an "American claimant to the title of inventor of the hamburger in 1885".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Nagreen

So, not a figment of my imagination. It is a documented.. Fact. So, I technically have hamburger in my blood... I know my hamburgers man!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

That's for sure For LOTR, I have to imagine WJxxxx is referring to destroying the ring? (which is pretty easy to achieve). Getting to "Encore" is super hard (never done it)...can't imagine what wizard mode he's referencing. If it's Encore, maybe he has the game set to 12 balls...one for each song. That would make it easier! Guess it all depends on how his machine is setup!

No it's Valinor, 3 times in under 2 weeks, Encore on AcDc
    I only ever have my machines set up on factory, or harder, limited to 1 extra ball, tight tilt, etc.
    What's the point of trying to kid yourself by making it mega easy just to post a score no one cares about. You soon get found out in competition. If you're really interested the majority of my major scores have either been on site, in competition or at friends houses.

Just because you're not good enough to reach those scores, doesn't mean others aren't.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

No it's Valinor, 3 times in under 2 weeks, Encore on AcDc
    I only ever have my machines set up on factory, or harder, limited to 1 extra ball, tight tilt, etc.
    What's the point of trying to kid yourself by making it mega easy just to post a score no one cares about. You soon get found out in competition. If you're really interested the majority of my major scores have either been on site, in competition or at friends houses.
    Just because you're not good enough to reach those scores, doesn't mean others aren't.

Please...spare me the bravado. I know I'm not worthy of getting to Valinor or Encore. I mean, it's possible I guess, but highly unlikely. My comment was a bit broader...I've played in leagues with some darn good players and NONE of them could reach Valinor 3 times in under 2 weeks. If you are that good, I imagine you are a highly ranked, competitive player. Good for you!

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Please...spare me the bravado

Quoted from WJxxxx:

I have to imagine WJxxxx is referring to destroying the ring? (which is pretty easy to achieve)

Quoted from snaroff:

maybe he has the game set to 12 balls...one for each song.

Just responding to your patronising, condescending and sarcastic comments - no bravado required.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

But where Stern has the edge is game code, depth, and fun. Sterns just work and keep working.

KISS, WWE, Xmen, GoT (continuous fixes), Avengers (just finally fixed),WoF, AP, RCT, Striker Xtreme, etc
    I think you might have your manufacturers mixed up on code?
    Only the last 5 years have there been improvements with the exceptions of LOTR, TSPP, RBION, and SM.
    Most of the games code in past 15 years was average at best.
    Some games are unfinishable or still have bugs that seasoned players or owners will go WTF.
    Most games code is taking 2-3 years to get fixed for proper playability, if at all.
    BLY/WMS limits were based on memory technology, not endless corrections or released games with unfinished code.
    It has become the new Stern "standard".

"Stern just keep in working".
    Ask an any operator, and you may realize that this is inaccurate. Many corners have been cut in the past, and continue to be now. Build quality is dependent on conditions, but complexity is not the nature of most Stern machines for reason. Home environment is different.
    Many Stern routed machines are trashed, while BLY/WMS games still being operated. SPIKE looks like it will help in the long run.

However, NIB 90s BLY/WMS machines had overly complex engineering designs (TZ, STTNG, RS, etc) and underdesigned power supplies.

Design engineering of a well restored game indicates good performance, the reason Stern games "seem" to be more reliable is their electronics are new, and mechanical designs are simpler in features. Most in fact are rehashed of existing design features from BLY/WMS games (magnets assemblies for example).

Stern flipper designs HAVE improved.

Most System 11 games are built like tanks comparative to modern Sterns.

You have evaluate decades of machines for comparison not the last 2-3 years with titles like TWD, AC/DC, or MET.
    Stern needs to raise the bar on their production standards.

Ever see a 2003 LOTR (Whitestar) on a route?
    You will not like it...

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Triumph of Death
    Pieter Brueghel the Elder
    1562 AD, Renaissance
    Realism painting
    Museo del Prado
    Madrid, Spain

Extreme depth of detail at full size.
    Available at 3/4 SIZE (maximum) at Posters.com.
    Museum quality glicee recommended.
    You will need a big wall...

Thetriumphofdeath_(resized).jpgThetriumphofdeath_(resized).jpg

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Please...spare me the bravado. I know I'm not worthy of getting to Valinor or Encore. I mean, it's possible I guess, but highly unlikely. My comment was a bit broader...I've played in leagues with some darn good players and NONE of them could reach Valinor 3 times in under 2 weeks. If you are that good, I imagine you are a highly ranked, competitive player. Good for you!

Right, I personally Know WJ. He has most definatley got to Encore and Valinor. So stop your whining and try harder and or play more.

Never seen it done at mine though. This Thursday, W?

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

Never seen it done at mine though. This Thursday, W?

Well I won't be getting to Valinor at yours now that you've sold it. Once the right mini flipper is sorted on AcDc I'll give Encore my full attention
    Will have to stick with getting to Kiss Army, Portal, and Final Battle for now - still can't manage Dark Room on Xmen though, as soon as new board arrives that'll be the next focus, until Ghostbusters arrives?

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Just responding to your patronising, condescending and sarcastic comments - no bravado required.

Grow a thicker skin...again, very few people get to Valinor on a bi-weekly basis. If you do, then I am wildly impressed. Really. Would actually love to see a video of your skills. Let me know if any YouTube video's available. Anyone who gets to the modes you boast about on a regular basis is a truly rare, gifted player.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Hi All,
    OK, first off, this is not meant as a pit-one-against-the-other post. Hell, I don't even have any Stern games so I wouldn't know. Just an honest observation and question. First...
    Was thinking about picking up a ST TNG and watched it being played on YT and thought, really, is that it. OK maybe I dont want a ST TNG?? But I did want a ST game and not the original Bally though it is a nice game, just doesn't do it for me audio wise. So that is why I thought about ST TNG. I was thinking that was really my only choice as the Stern games, to me, appear more inexpensive than say your average Williams. This is my opinion. Possibly wrong but the overall appearance of a Stern does not seem as robust as a Williams. If I were to warm up to a Stern than I have other options for ST. Where am I going wrong?
    G

You should buy a Stern ST... it's an awesome game. Fantastic integration of sound and lights...totally fun to play. Once the ball is live, any thoughts of Sterns being cheaply built will leave your mind...

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

*From Charlie Nagreen.
    He is not only my relative he was an "American claimant to the title of inventor of the hamburger in 1885".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Nagreen
    So, not a figment of my imagination. It is a documented.. Fact. So, I technically have hamburger in my blood... I know my hamburgers man!

Still not the single best. There is no such thing. The creator of a thing only makes it possible, not the best. Best is a matter of opinion.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Triumph of Death
    Pieter Brueghel the Elder
    1562 AD, Renaissance
    Realism painting
    Museo del Prado
    Madrid, Spain
    Extreme depth of detail at full size.
    Available at 3/4 SIZE (maximum) at Posters.com.
    Museum quality glicee recommended.
    You will need a big wall...

Again, does not exist. Best is a matter of opinion.

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Disagree. Stern flippers feel every bit as good.

Nah. Try doing a loop pass on Corvette or AFM. Now try doing it on KISS or metallica.

It's like night and day, unfortunately. Stern flippers are just clumsier.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nah. Try doing a loop pass on Corvette or AFM. Now try doing it on KISS or metallica.

What is a loop pass?

#92 8 years ago

William/Bally or Stern games is never a good idea buying a game on other people's opinion.
    I will occasionally play a MM, but I do not desire to ever own one, even at a lower price. I have others much higher on my wanted list.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can be playing Metallica here then switch over to my WMS games and they play the same. meh

#94 8 years ago

I've got some of the best games from Bally, Williams and Stern.

I avoid the games that I don't like from all 3 manufacturers.

Makes my collection all good.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

What is a loop pass?

It's like the "Picard Maneuver" without the cool factor, as the ball drains.
    In essence an orbit shot shot that ends badly.
    (Drum roll)

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

What is a loop pass?

It is a loop pass. If you liked pinball, you'd know.

#97 8 years ago

Stern worked for Williams and Williams designed games for Stern. So what was the question?

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

If these games are too easy for you, what games are hard!?!

#99 8 years ago

I am impressed of someone gets to Valinor frequently. Those are some long LOTR games. I have got it twice, both times when I owned the game. Even "There and Back Again" takes close to 30 minutes.
    There are certainly are people who own games to beat them. This is called the "Xbox generation" for achievement points.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If these games are too easy for you, what games are hard

PotDC. 4 winds was easy enough to get to, but getting to Gauntlet I never managed despite owning it for many months.
    TSPP. Closest I got to SDMEWM was needing just one more Couch Jackpot.
    WPT. Kiefer Invitational is proving a damn sight harder than anything else I have attempted to reach, but I WILL get there - eventually.
    IM. Do or Die multiball is just never going to happen.

These certainly aren't what I'd consider hard games to rack up good scores on, but hard games to reach the wizard mode.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There are certainly are people who own games to beat them. This is called the "Xbox generation" for achievement points.

I'm a fair way before the X-Box generation! It must be my own sense of drive to push myself to a set goal, and autistic tendencies.
    I'm exactly the same away from pinball, whether it's other hobbies (Which over the years have included Poker, Darts, Fly Fishing, Hockey, Chess to name a few. Most of which I've either represented my country or been to the national finals multiple times) or my work life. I always try and push above and beyond expectations. Maybe that's why I can afford to own a machine in the first place!

I truly believe that to be good at anything in life takes hard work and practice. "Natural Talent" can only get you so far.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pins-vs-williams/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.