You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170314_164405553 (resized).jpg
17239668_10158436618375327_1206008516921937461_o (resized).jpg
IMG_20160604_155545280 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160621_192755731 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, I just picked up a stern pinball machine for a friend. It came with no MPU, so he bought an alltek for it. It's having a weird issue i'm trying to narrow down, I hope I can explain it ok enough.

So, when I turn the game on, the mpu boots with all flashes no problem, but it won't go into attract mode at all. However, the displays flash the high score to date like they should. So it's almost like the backbox is in attract, but the cabinet is not. I spent the afternoon re-pinning all the connectors, so that is done. I also put it in test mode, and all the lights work except for half of the backbox lights (likely just a wiring issue) all the coils work except the chimes, and all the switches work except for the coin slots and coin door slam tilt. One thing I noticed though while trouble shooting. The coin slots and tilt switch share the same signal wire. I checked continuity from the mpu to the switches and there was none. I thought connector, but I get cont from the switch to the connector, but none from the pf side of the connector to the mpu. I didn't have time to replace the wire last night, but i'm wondering if that signal wire is broken, will the mpu think it's always in tilt mode? I'm going to replace the whole wire today sometime.

Also, I fired the mpu into my lost world and everything is working a ok, so I know that isn't the issue.

If you have any thoughts on the matter, please hep haha. I have to deliver this thing on saturday to another province.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

This is identical to what I got testing a game the other day. I was suspecting it needed repined and crimped.

That was my first thought too. But I still get the issue after it's all done. My other thought was, someone who owned it before might have done some of the connectors too, because they didn't look very old. I'm thinking a wire could have been mixed up or swapped to the wrong position somewhere. Unfortunately, the stern schematics don't have the wire color chart like the ballys do, so that would be very cumbersome and time consuming to trace each one individually.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I have a 1977 Stern "Pinball.". I also have the original Stern MA-100 board above the knocker. If you need any photos, please let me know.

Thanks! I may take you up on that. Quick update though. I replaced that signal wire from the coin door, and I can credit up, and start a game. I still have no sound or flippers, but at least the major hurdle is through.

Can you confirm something though. Is there an attract mode? IE do the pf lights do anthing if it is idle? Mine so far just has the saucer 10000 light and the bonus lit. The 1 decent video online shows this too when a game is started.

Cheers

#8 7 years ago

So everything for the most part seems to be working. The only thing stumping me is the chimes, and I can only seem to credit up a 2 player max game. I've never dealt with chimes before so a starting point would be good. The credit thing is really weird as I don't see a switch that controls that feature on the mpu.

Cheers

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Switches 17, 18, and 19 on the MPU are responsible for setting the max credits. However, the lowest number of credits that can be set is 5. Are you sure that it stops at 2 and isn't just some segments on the display that aren't lighting up properly?
What problem are you having with the chimes?

Max credits are set to 40. That is fine as I can put 40 credits in no problem. It won't go past a 2 player game. I can hit the credit button all day, and it stops at a 2 player game.

As for the chimes, they won't work at all. I have sw8 turned on (chimes on)

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I think there is a fuse near the chimes (and a connector for said chimes) but I will need to get home to be sure. Just going by memory and it's a bit fuzzy...

Yes there is a fuse, I replaced it with no luck.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

This is controlled by dip switch 25.
Off = 2 players max
On = 4 Players max

Ah ha! Thank you!

#16 7 years ago

Update for everyone. All is fixed. I traced the flipper issue to a bad ground trace on the rectifier. I figured instead of chasing my tail I would just replace it woth a rotten dog. Luckily my buddy had a brand new one. I put it in and everything is working 100%. I'm really happy with this game over all actually. I really wish I was keeping it for myself! Cheers to everyone for all the help and advice!!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

So glad to hear you got it fixed! Sorry I wasn't able to help out as I am 100% clueless with Altek boards.
Stern "Pinball" is a really great game. And it's historically significant as it was Stern's first Solid State game. I repainted and clearcoated mine and I am so impressed with how fast it plays. I play mine every day. Mind you, it's my only game but I don't think I will ever get tired of it. I'm sure your friend is going to enjoy it very much.

Thanks a lot!! I'm really happy with it so far. If it was staying with me, it would be getting the full resto treatment. Having said that, I'm sure it will be back in my hands some day. I know he will love it. I'm planning a trip to his place for the weekend. So all the bugs should be worked out of it. Mind you I've already put about 40 games on it today haha.

Cheers!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Hopefully you can protect the most common wear points (near those saucers). Mine were ground right down to the bare wood (before and after pics).

Oh wow that looks amazing! This one is in surprisingly good shape. There is a small ammount of wear around the bonus score inserts and that is about it. Keeping it cleaned and waxed well should save it from any more for a good while. I have to instruct my friend on those basics. If he ever wants to get rid of it, the deal is I get first crack. So if and when that happens I'll plan an entire restore from the ground up.

I put some cool led's in the gi, but it doesn't fit the game too well. I'm gonna put it back to incandescent.

17239668_10158436618375327_1206008516921937461_o (resized).jpg17239668_10158436618375327_1206008516921937461_o (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Wow, those plastics are in great shape. Any chance you can scan the plastic over the bottom left drop target? Mine is broken in half!

Sure thing! I'll do it after work tonight. PM me your email address

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball?tu=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.