(Topic ID: 227763)

Stern Pinball to go online in 2019

By FalconPunch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A3C6DADC-6522-4A34-8CA6-31CC463055F9 (resized).jpeg
    hack time.gif
    F4B7C555-A293-4118-ABED-2CC6AB9867F9.gif
    Give a man a console.jpg
    terminator (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pickleric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think Stern can pull it off, because they have the budget to hire the right kind of people and foot the monthly Azure bill. Aside from that, this would require more support people and put some pressure on distributors to understand/troubleshoot wifi systems in people's homes.

Ensure the boards only run a signed OS.
    Ensure the boards will only install signed updates.
    Distribute updates stored on Amazon S3 / Azure. Scaling / HA solved.
    Do not accept incoming connections / have no ports open. Outgoing connections only.
    The tech needed to implement this well may be somewhat intricate, but there are plenty of people out there with the skillset(s) to solve this for Stern.

If they did go this route, that may put a damper on sounds mods like Clelands which would be unfortunate.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Give an IP address and internet access to a pinball machine and watch it get DDoSed during your next tourney

Why would the pinball machine have a public IP Address? Do you worry about your xbox or playstation getting DDoSed?

Stern going online doesn't have to be a bad thing, it could be really cool. Give it a chance, if it is not great don't plug your machine into a network cable. I am sure it will be optional.

#91 5 years ago

dupe.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

If it's going online it will have an ip address. Kinda how it works

No because I dont play online games but if you are asking that question then you probably are new to this. Here are some examples but feel free to google for more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8btggm/was_ddos_attacked_last_night_by_another_gamer/

You misread what I said. I do think it will be cool. But I also work in Dev Ops and see this daily.

If you work in Dev Ops I am sure you understand the difference between a public and private IP address. No reason a pinball machine needs a public IP address. In the PSN example, the DDoS happening there is on the public facing playstation network servers, not the playstations themselves that are typically tucked away on relatively safe private networks as a pinball machine would be.

I am not new to this. I have been in IT for over 20 years.

Could it be implemented poorly, sure it could. Does it have to be, no.

I would like to see them try as it could be cool.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Because if it's online there will be a public IP address...otherwise what's the point? So a bartender can hop on a local network instead of walk over to the machine?
    And yes, people DDOS people playing online games all the time.

The pinball machine can have a private IP address and operate just fine and still talk to Stern's servers / CDN. There is no need for a public IP address.

People might DDoS other peoples Internet connections, but they typically are not directly DDoSing the game consoles.

A pinball machine connecting to the Internet will be mostly for updates, scores, maybe remote diagnostics, possibly sharing game states between machines so you can play multiplayer with others who have the same machines as you.

I am not worried about DDoSing of a pinball machine connected to a network being a huge concern.

Could Stern's servers that that run the infrastructure be DDoSed? Sure they could..

Stern could also use https://www.cloudflare.com/ddos like everyone else and call it a day.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from fridgejam:

This feature already exists with games like Big Buck Hunter and they don't have issues with being hacking.
    Gary Stern recently touched upon this at a pinball operators meeting here in Sydney. Going online has huge benefits for operators, who could not only remotely keep the code on their games up to date without physically visiting the venue, but also keep track of daily income or do things like adjust the volume (or turn off the Ghostbusters 'scare' feature as I had to urgently do one night) or temporarily change pricing for things like 'happy hour'. Many venues are slow to report faults (if they do at all), and usually their description of the issue is vague at best. Alerts with details of the fault on the game, instantly messaged to the operator would also be very valuable, and minimize revenue losses.
    Lastly the potential for players to be able to play a game with others via the net locally and internationally is massive!
    I see pinball going online as a great step forward both for operators, and the guy with a game in his basement. If you don't want to put your game online, then I'm sure you can simply choose to turn this function off!

My Goldentee is also online and its fine.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I do not want my pinball machines or my appliances connected to the internet.
    Or my garage door opener, or my thermostat, or my doorbell, or my watch.
    And get off my lawn, you damn kids!

I believe you mean...

A3C6DADC-6522-4A34-8CA6-31CC463055F9 (resized).jpegA3C6DADC-6522-4A34-8CA6-31CC463055F9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pickleric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-to-go-online-in-2019?tu=pickleric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.