Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a 1977 Stern Pinball machine that randomly resets. The game has the alltek ultimate MPU and SDU boards. I checked 5 volts on the MPU board and got 4.7 which was a little low but I think OK. On the SDU it reads 4.9. So I decided to check other voltages. Checking the voltages at the rectifier board I found 15.6VDC on TP3 instead of 11.9VDC. I checked the voltage from the transformer for that circuit and found 13.2VAC which seemed a little high but not 15.6. I thought I might have a short so I pulled fuse F3 and the TP3 went to 0.

I am baffled how I can have more DC Voltage out than AC voltage in? Not sure if this is the cause of my reset problem but it is a problem. I am surprised that something has not smoked with the voltage that far out of range.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Gary

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from gchase:

I checked 5 volts on the MPU board and got 4.7 which was a little low but I think OK. On the SDU it reads 4.9

That's a problem, you're getting voltage loss through the connectors and 4.7V at the MPU board is too low for reliable operation.
Were the wire connectors reterminated when the new Alltek boards were fitted?

Quoted from gchase:

Checking the voltages at the rectifier board I found 15.6VDC on TP3 instead of 11.9VDC.

There's a capacitor on the solenoid driver board that's storing energy to filter out most of the DC ripple. It results in raising the DC voltage. If you disconnect J3 (backbox harness) from the rectifier board, TP3 will then measure closer to your expected voltage value.

#3 5 years ago

Almost always, "random" = "connectors".

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Almost always, "random" = "connectors".

Yep, repin J4 on the MPU for sure and J3 on the SDB.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-game-rendomly-resetting- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.