(Topic ID: 186677)

Stern Pinball cabinets missing wood...

By HighProtein

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170427_210227 (resized).jpg
    20170427_210357 (resized).jpg
    20170427_210244 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2296 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2297 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8553 (resized).JPG
    1ACDCsterncabinet (resized).png
    IMG_2761 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0088 (resized).JPG
    20170416_145712 (resized).jpg
    20170416_145428 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highprotein.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So after seeing missing pieces of wood in the bottom corners of a friend's Aerosmith cabinet and filling it with wood filler to add integity, I then saw other posts about current Stern pinball cabinet quality in other areas...
    Seeing as this specific problem hasn't been addressed here we go!
    I just found out today after looking under a friend's Ghostbusters the same scenario.
    20170416_145428 (resized).jpg20170416_145428 (resized).jpg

Seeing as I have a Data East TMNT pinball, I decided to study it's cabinet build quality and here is how the corners came together...
    20170416_145712 (resized).jpg20170416_145712 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I really am wondering, are all Stern cabinets like this now and why?

It was about $1 of wood filler to complete my one friend's cabinet, how much is wood filler in bulk?

Granted there is the labor/time of doing it, approximately 4 minutes total.

It may just be me...
    But a 25 year old game has this gap filled and with wood of all things.
    How is a $5000+ new game missing wood?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

All my Sterns have wood in all 4 corners on the bottom corners. Again I guess I must be lucky.

Good to hear, I'll be checking many that I come in contract with to see if it's becoming the norm.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Jesus Christ its one thing after another with this company.

They are market maker or breaker company so they'll get most of the scrutiny.
    While other companies basically still have pre-order models and very gradually produce/manufacture games, Stern readily develops and produces games. They probably could use a little (a lot?) more focus on in house quality control measures to stop the customers from seemingly being the core quality control analysts...

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Oh man, I can see seller's faces when asked for pictures of underneath a game

We can call it pinball yoga?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

I'm betting the corner is blown out by not having a chase piece of wood when the miter is done.
    While it cosmetically doesn't look good, structurally I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Ok, so 25+ years of building a cabinet with no real issues and not missing any wood/sealing of wood, and now there is missing wood but that is not a real concern?

#17 7 years ago

I'll probably do a how to fill empty wood holes in your n.i.b. Stern video soon.

I'll have to get the lighting just right though under a cabinet.

I prefer Elmers 3x strength wood filler, color option is white and paintable.

#18 7 years ago

Also, I do honestly wonder how many could use this repair.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

My AS pro has these holes. But they only extend about 15mm into the cabinet. Surely it's only cosmetic.

Your "surely it's only cosmetic" is a joke.
    One doesn't know how poorly bound the points of a cabinet are joined together at from top to bottom of the cabinet unless it is taken apart.
    Missing wood is a red flag.
    This isn't normal.
    If it's cost cutting then it is pathetic.

P.S...
    Cosmetic anything other than cabinetry build quality or general component build quality.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Is it cost cutting or just poor cutting?

Damn, mind blow, but what if both?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

You should know better than to call HighProtein 'Shirley.'

Hehe

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

Wood filler will not strengthen the joint in any way. If there was flex or movement, the filler will just crumble and break away. If you were going to 'fill' the void with something, it should be a stick of wood a bit smaller than the void, and epoxy.

So filling a hole in a cabinet doesn't strengthen the area where missing wood is at all, very interesting... .. .
    Frankly, there really should not be much movement at all where any wood/wood filler can go to add integrity.

Yes, yeah yeah, there are other problems with the integrity of the cabinets going on as well seemingly,
    but it sure doesn't hurt to fill any holes where wood is not/where it really should be complete.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well if your OCD is kickin in might as well do it. For the top side use epoxy.

Naw...
    I'm going to make an aftermarket drill bit to drill all of the wood out from the missing pieces at the bottom all the way to the top.
    Reason? Why not!
    I mean obviously it's supposed to be gone right?

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Here, you can use mine.

Deal, we're in the aftermarket cabinet mod business now!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

If the joint separates further, the wood filler will crumble or stick to one side of the other. It's not going to bond the wood together like a glue or epoxy would. It would mostly be cosmetic. If you were to fill the entire void with an epoxy, that would add strength. Ideally, you'd add the missing piece of wood back (a square dowel, slightly undersized), pushing it into the void, coated with epoxy or good wood glue, such as Titebond.

What brand epoxy is the best?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ohhhh that may be risky, especially keeping it straight. I'd only go an inch or two.

Yeah, we wouldn't have to charge as much for that service!

#47 6 years ago

This is on the bottom of my Stern ACDC Pro...

1ACDCsterncabinet (resized).png1ACDCsterncabinet (resized).png

#61 6 years ago

Can you please take a photo from up top at the front corner and bottom corner?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I don't think Stern cares about the home market. I wonder how the route guys feel about these cabs? The game was designed to make quarters and it still does that I guess. Stinks for us guys who like nice perfect games and pull a big turd from the box.
    I should post this pic on Sterns Facebook! Nice quality control stamp with split corners on a game that has just been pulled from the box.

This photo clearly documents my concern.

#83 6 years ago

20170427_210244 (resized).jpg20170427_210244 (resized).jpg20170427_210357 (resized).jpg20170427_210357 (resized).jpg20170427_210227 (resized).jpg20170427_210227 (resized).jpg

Ghostbusters Pro cabinet quality in 2016.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highprotein.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-cabinets-missing-wood?tu=highprotein and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.