(Topic ID: 186677)

Stern Pinball cabinets missing wood...

By HighProtein

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170427_210227 (resized).jpg
    20170427_210357 (resized).jpg
    20170427_210244 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2296 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2297 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8553 (resized).JPG
    1ACDCsterncabinet (resized).png
    IMG_2761 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0088 (resized).JPG
    20170416_145712 (resized).jpg
    20170416_145428 (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Now that is grounds for a new cab unless it happened from abuse. The hairline cracks people are complaining about have been there in the past and some of my screened Sterns have it as well. It stands out more now since it also splits the decal whereas on older screened Stern cabs it wasn't as obvious..

#52 6 years ago

Yea, that one is a little out of tolerance...ouch!

#54 6 years ago

Now THAT'S bad. Looks like no glue to me. How many plays on it?

#55 6 years ago

Damn wraparound decals..

Total BS

#56 6 years ago

Actually I don't believe the decals wrap around on this game. I'll take a look though. I'll describe how it happened when I'm not on my phone.

#57 6 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Stern used the wrap around decals to try and hide their splitting cabinets.

#58 6 years ago

Quoted from inhomearcades:

Actually I don't believe the decals wrap around on this game. I'll take a look though. I'll describe how it happened when I'm not on my phone.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

I wouldn't be surprised if Stern used the wrap around decals to try and hide their splitting cabinets.

More likely they use the wrap around decals to hold the cabinet together.

But looks like with B66 they've stopped. All my other games up to GB are wrapped, by B66 isn't.

#61 6 years ago

Can you please take a photo from up top at the front corner and bottom corner?

#62 6 years ago

The way I put legs on games is as follows:

Game is on its back, I put the front two legs on the game and lower them to the ground. I then pick up the back of the game and rest it on my hip and put the back two legs with the game being tilted on the front two legs. I have done this on every single game ever made, this is the first time that I have ever seen damage occur from doing this.

#63 6 years ago

Game is on its back, I put the front two legs on the game and lower them to the ground. I then pick up the back of the game and rest it on my hip and put the back two legs with the game being tilted on the front two legs. I have done this on every single game ever made, this is the first time that I have ever seen damage occur from doing this.

I do the same but last time I had a stool and lifted the front and stuck the stool under the front and put on legs then lifted the back and did the same. Much easier.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I do the same but last time I had a stool and lifted the front and stuck the stool under the front and put on legs then lifted the back and did the same. Much easier.

Actually just putting it together by myself with the method I described only takes a me a few minutes at most and I find it to be pretty easy. Any additional steps or assistance I usually decline even when I have someone there to help hold it up. If I'm not mistaken, I think even stern suggests the method I use. There was a video with pat in it somewhere online but I can't remember if it's the exact same process

#65 6 years ago

Can't do much more than replicate as per Stern's instructional video from 2014 (from the 2 min mark).

Looks like they need to add a disclaimer or an updated instructional as it seems any front end stress during setup from tilting the weight of the machine on two legs is going to have an affect (either noticeable immediately or developing after a prolonged period) on the new and improved cabinets coming off the line.

2014 now seems like such a long time ago for Stern pinball.......but I digress.

#66 6 years ago

That's the video. That is also how I put my legs on the game. I just don't use a second person is all. It's pretty easy to rest the game on my hip and toss the legs on.

#67 6 years ago

Right out of the box!

IMG_2297 (resized).JPGIMG_2297 (resized).JPG

#68 6 years ago

And i bet someone will defend this with: "Oh that´s no problem, the legs will cover it."

So sad, so sad...

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Right out of the box!

Oh that's no problem, the legs will cover it.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh that's no problem, the legs will cover it.

OMG! They did cover it!! Totally happy now. I even have a cool wrinkle all the way up my decal where it will probably separate at some point. I think I will cover that with duct tape! Sounds like a new mod to me!

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

OMG! I think I will cover that with duct tape! Sounds like a new mod to me!

Patent pending.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Right out of the box!

That sucks! Thankfully you caught it right away. I can't imagine this particular run of cabs is going to hold up over the years as the pin is moved around, set up and nudged. I hope whoever is making their cabs now gets this under control a.s.a.p.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Right out of the box!

Really makes you wonder if they saw this at Stern once the game was assembled and they said " the game is assembled but we'll send it out anyways and see if the customer complains".

#74 6 years ago

I don't think Stern cares about the home market. I wonder how the route guys feel about these cabs? The game was designed to make quarters and it still does that I guess. Stinks for us guys who like nice perfect games and pull a big turd from the box.

I should post this pic on Sterns Facebook! Nice quality control stamp with split corners on a game that has just been pulled from the box.

IMG_2296 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPG

#75 6 years ago

They should just extend those new leg spacers to the bottom of the cabinet. That way people won't see when the wood cracks and it'd probably also help make the corners stronger.

#76 6 years ago

Stern Facebook, you will get banned so fast it will make your head spin.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I should post this pic on Sterns Facebook! Nice quality control stamp with split corners on a game that has just been pulled from the box.

If you notice it has the "QC" stamp on the bottom in your pic.. Good to go

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

If you notice it has the "QC" stamp on the bottom in your pic.. Good to go

Makes ya wonder just what their QC is. Do they actually take a cab out of the line every once in a while and try to break the seams? Or does some guy just look at it and says "looks good to me". Where's that old picture of the guy with the crossed eyes when ya need it.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I don't think Stern cares about the home market. I wonder how the route guys feel about these cabs? The game was designed to make quarters and it still does that I guess. Stinks for us guys who like nice perfect games and pull a big turd from the box.

Please let us know how this is resolved.
    I would consider it a manufacturing defect if it arrived like that new in the box.
    And therefore should be replaced.

#80 6 years ago

It's just cosmetic... Seriously though, as long as people on here are making excuses for $tern they are going to continue to cut corners.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

This photo clearly documents my concern.

#82 6 years ago

“Stern Pinball cabinets missing wood...”

Stern prefers to look at it not as missing wood, but rather as you've received additional ventilation, at no additional charge.

#83 6 years ago

20170427_210244 (resized).jpg20170427_210244 (resized).jpg20170427_210357 (resized).jpg20170427_210357 (resized).jpg20170427_210227 (resized).jpg20170427_210227 (resized).jpg

Ghostbusters Pro cabinet quality in 2016.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Ghostbusters Pro cabinet quality in 2016.

Plenty of glue there.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-cabinets-missing-wood/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.