Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 259 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What games do you care to see after the release titles?”

• Ghostbusters 58 votes
      32%
    • Game of Thrones 37 votes
      20%
    • Wrestlemania 17 votes
      9%
    • Tron 70 votes
      38%

(182 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
    10 (resized).jpg
    01 (resized).jpg
    02 (resized).JPG
    03 (resized).jpg
    04 (resized).jpg
    05 (resized).jpg
    06 (resized).jpg
    07 (resized).jpg
    08 (resized).jpg
    09 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1176 (resized).PNG
    816r3CklhnL._AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg

There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 7 years ago

So as most of you may or may not know, Stern (via Farsight) is putting out their modern games in a new group separate from Pinball Arcade itself called Stern Pinball Arcade for game consoles thus far. Preorders are available on Amazon already. AC/DC, Star Trek, Mustang and Frankenstein being the first four games. Anything mentioned about PC or the new Nintendo system has been given a "Stay Tuned" so it's probably a few months out.

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MAZKDDT/ref=sr_1_1
    https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-Xbox-One/dp/B01M5EAO4V/ref=sr_1_2

Hearing that the physics engine will be getting a face-lift too which is a bonus because the ball doesn't seem to have enough weight as it should. If they hit Zen Pinball's physics or near it, it shall be excellent.

Feel it's kind of b.s. they put Frankenstein in the game when it's already on Pinball Arcade itself but whatever.

816r3CklhnL._AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg816r3CklhnL._AC_SX215_ (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I wouldn't say "Stern" is putting this out. Its developed by Farsight Studio who also released the many 'Pinball Arcade' titles. Farsight is licensing the Stern games for the software.

#3 7 years ago

I realize it's Farsight. However, Stern's games are in their own arena now with them. Anyway, just making folks aware that aren't.

#4 7 years ago

Those links above are for game consoles. I thought the plan was to release on mobile first? Will we see new apps on google and iOS around the same time?

#5 7 years ago

That's some inspired cover art there.

In all seriousness, I do have fun with Pinball Arcade. It'll be nice to have some newer Stern tables added.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

I wouldn't say "Stern" is putting this out. Its developed by Farsight Studio who also released the many 'Pinball Arcade' titles. Farsight is licensing the Stern games for the software.

Actually, I think you have it backwards. Stern is putting this out and licencing the technology from farsight ( and contracting them as a developer). At replayfx in the farsight seminar they made it clear it was sterns app. Stern is determining the product roadmap, pricing structure, etc.

1 week later
    #7 7 years ago

Ghostbusters is in the game btw (for those of you that have a PS4, its out digitally) and states Coming Soon. So Ghostbusters will more than likely be the next game.

#8 7 years ago

I thought that all of the latest stern titles were supposed to be in this (eg. iron man, spiderman, metallica)

given that the physical copy of the pinball arcade for the ps4 was only $30 and contained 40 tables, I hope that for the $40 MSRP, there are more than 4-5 tables on the disc

#9 7 years ago

Any word when it will be released for iOS and Android?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

given that the physical copy of the pinball arcade for the ps4 was only $30 and contained 40 tables, I hope that for the $40 MSRP, there are more than 4-5 tables on the disc

Stern is controlling the pricing on this, so...

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

Any word when it will be released for iOS and Android?

"STAY TUNED!" which means more than likely after the holidays. We'll see. I'll be surprised if its before Christmas.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I thought that all of the latest stern titles were supposed to be in this (eg. iron man, spiderman, metallica)

They gave three brand new games with 3-4 other pre existing titles fron Pinball Arcade itself which are technically Stern games (Sega, DE). I wasn't shocked that they would do this but going forward with Stern Pin Arcade, It'll be a game every few months like they do with Pin Arcade itself. The bundle was $40 for everything so it was a no brainer since AC/DC, ST and Mustang separately were that much.

Ghostbusters is next and then probably Metallica.

#13 7 years ago

I'm curious how video game licensing works opposed to pinball manufacturing. Is the license forever when digital?

#14 7 years ago

I was hoping for more than the recent Stern tables out of the box. I wonder what the price model will be for additional tables.

#15 7 years ago

Why has the Pinball Arcade on Xbox One fallen behind on releases/updates? There's no Indianapolis 500 or much for season 5. I had to try it on my phone.

#16 7 years ago

I wish you could access these tables with the other takes on the pinball arcade if you own both digitally.

#17 7 years ago

Star Trek is so dark it's almost unplayable.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

You should be able to adjust the room lightning. Check the settings. On the TPA for Xbox One and PS4 you can.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Stern is controlling the pricing on this, so...

Pretty sure Farsight sets the price. But that is based on margin from a fixed cost from Stern, so indirectly they do to an extent.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

"STAY TUNED!" which means more than likely after the holidays. We'll see. I'll be surprised if its before Christmas.

They have stated that the other versions will be released this fall. Before 12/21 I guess.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

Agree. I couldn't find any lighting adjustments.

Downloaded the pack with acdc, st, sst and rbion.
    There was a $10 coupon code in my notifications, so I ended up getting it half price. Hope the other tables are better.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Agree. I couldn't find any lighting adjustments.
    Downloaded the pack with acdc, st, sst and rbion.
    There was a $10 coupon code in my notifications, so I ended up getting it half price. Hope the other tables are better.

Share that coupon code brother!

#23 7 years ago

I can't believe nobody has suggested that they need to create real flipper buttons and allow those to behave "normally" so that the interface is anything like real pinball. Without that this won't help evangelize pinball any more than the other dumb electronic simulations on consoles. Imho.

#24 7 years ago

So, I got this and bought Game Pack #1 for PS4, which has ST Pro, AC/DC Premium, Ripley's Believe it or Not (which I already have from regular PA) and Starship Troopers (ditto).

All I can say is...wow, what a piece of crap. I have the original PA for PS3 and PS4. Many of the games from the first two seasons are great--Scared Stiff, ST:TNG, Totan, MM, even Monster Bash give you a good feeling for the games, even if the physics and mechanics aren't the best. And the regular PA versions offer "pro" features that let you modify "coin box open" features. And the PS4 regular versions offer different "room" lighting schemes.

But the Stern version? Putrid. ST:Pre is terribly designed. Dark as hell, shots hard to see, the ball is almost invisible. The graphics look like third-rate virtual pin versions--fuzzy, 2-dimensional, blocky. Physics are terrible: the ball moves much too fast, bounces are totally unrealistic. Everything about this stinks except the audio, which does a good job of playing the music and callouts from the pin, although a bit too quiet for my taste.

AC/DC Premium is a little bit better. Playfied is brighter, and audio is very good. But the PF still looks crowded and confusing.

Ripley's is essentially the same one that's been around since the PS3 version. It's a great rendition. I'm just not a huge fan of the game.

Starship Troopers is the same version available on the regular PWA, which I own. No difference here. It's an excellent rendition of a rather obscure game. Based on this rendition I'd love to find a real ST some day.

None of these games offers the "pro" coin door open feature (I imagine that will come out later, at an additional cost). No ability to change room lighting. The "lobby" interface where games are selected is ugly and painfully slow.

This thing is a dog.

#26 7 years ago

Wow, Star Trek looks terrible.

#27 7 years ago

Wow - No lighting adjustment?? This is totally half baked.

#28 7 years ago

Is it just me or is the ball lacking some speed variation? I haven't played this, but from the youtube clip above it looks like the ball is always at a constant speed. No acceleration or momentum.

#29 7 years ago

That video looks like shit lol

The fact they released ST looking the way it does says a lot about this project.

#30 7 years ago

so the amiga can do great physics back in the day with pinball dreams and fantasies and these lazy programmers can't do it with the current tech, amazing. Zen pinball should have got the licence, they have nailed the physics.

#31 7 years ago

WOW. That is really bad. TPA has been fairly good but this looks very amateur at best. Their is no excuse at all for them to not at least have nice and crisp plastics and PF's since they have the source files. The textures on the 3D objects could use some major work as well as the ramp transparencies. Not even going to get into the physics. I was pretty excited about this release but after seeing that video I guess I'll stick with VP.

#32 7 years ago

It's stern. Wait at least a year and the code might get finished.

#33 7 years ago

Downloading for PS4 now. Wondering if they fixed the input lag?

Most tables are $4.99 except Star Trek at $9.99 and AC/DC at 19.99. Guess this means Ghostbusters will be $20?

If they haven't fixed the input lag I'm not paying more for tables than I would on pinball arcade ios just to barely see some dimly lit ball fly around.

#34 7 years ago

Do these new stern games have the same rules walk through that PBA has had in the past?

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

Downloading for PS4 now. Wondering if they fixed the input lag?
    Most tables are $4.99 except Star Trek at $9.99 and AC/DC at 19.99. Guess this means Ghostbusters will be $20?
    If they haven't fixed the input lag I'm not paying more for tables than I would on pinball arcade ios just to barely see some dimly lit ball fly around.

The initial pricing for AC/DC on PSN was wrong, it has been corrected to $9.99 now. I expect GB and most new titles will be in the same $10 range.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

ST:Pre is terribly designed. Dark as hell, shots hard to see, the ball is almost invisible. The graphics look like third-rate virtual pin versions--fuzzy, 2-dimensional, blocky. Physics are terrible: the ball moves much too fast, bounces are totally unrealistic. Everything about this stinks except the audio, which does a good job of playing the music and callouts from the pin, although a bit too quiet for my taste.
    AC/DC Premium is a little bit better. Playfied is brighter, and audio is very good. But the PF still looks crowded and confusing.
    Ripley's is essentially the same one that's been around since the PS3 version. It's a great rendition. I'm just not a huge fan of the game.
    Starship Troopers is the same version available on the regular PWA, which I own. No difference here. It's an excellent rendition of a rather obscure game. Based on this rendition I'd love to find a real ST some day.
    None of these games offers the "pro" coin door open feature (I imagine that will come out later, at an additional cost). No ability to change room lighting. The "lobby" interface where games are selected is ugly and painfully slow.
    This thing is a dog.

I posted this 10 days ago after buying the initial release and pack #1. I was ready to give up on this. But, between then and now there have been at least two updates to the engine, and presumably the games, and to be fair to both Stern and Farsight, both are at least 80% better now. Star Trek in particular now looks great, almost as good as PA's best Williams tables, almost unrecognizable from the terrible first release. The playfield lighting overall is now great. Colors now pop. The fuzziness, lack of definition are gone, and you can now actually SEE the ball. The physics have improved a bit--ball is not as lightning fast as it was before. It's actually now fun to play.

AC/DC also looks great as well. The colors pop so much it's like entering a circus. It's a tough game to reproduce because there are so many different "areas' and narrow-tunnel shots to encounter, but it is fun. And plays fun.

I didn't look at the other games because I have them already. But the lobby has improved--the speed switching between tables is much faster and the colors really pop.

It's not perfect, and some things are still lacking (like Pro version functionality, customized room lighting, and general slowness moving between menus), but the newer version is heads and tails between the crap they originally put out.

#37 7 years ago

Just saw on slickdeals that Stern pinball arcade for Xbox one is free for a limited time. No other details, but logged in and confirmed. Grab it!

#38 7 years ago

Been waiting ages for Pinball Arcade content to show up for xbox one... same story as the 360 days. 14 or so tables behind everyone else.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

You should play Ripley's more. It wasn't a pin I liked at first either but after putting some time on it I grew to really love it. I still haven't collected all of Ripley's letters yet but hoping I can achieve that.

I'm not a fan of SST on PA. I find it difficult to use the third flipper and some of the shots are impossible to hit. I imagine it's one of those pins like WH2O that are better in real life.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

The initial pricing for AC/DC on PSN was wrong, it has been corrected to $9.99 now. I expect GB and most new titles will be in the same $10 range.

Wait...I bought AC/DC at $19.99. Any idea how to get a refund/credit?

#41 7 years ago

I hope they release SPA before Xmas on iOS. Looking forward to playing ACDC and ST.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I imagine it's one of those pins like WH2O that are better in real life.

When you get a chance, please compile a list of machines that are better on TPA than in real life.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from bhwolf:

Just saw on slickdeals that Stern pinball arcade for Xbox one is free for a limited time. No other details, but logged in and confirmed. Grab it!

Thanks! Just grabbed it

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

I posted this 10 days ago after buying the initial release and pack #1. I was ready to give up on this. But, between then and now there have been at least two updates to the engine, and presumably the games, and to be fair to both Stern and Farsight, both are at least 80% better now. Star Trek in particular now looks great, almost as good as PA's best Williams tables, almost unrecognizable from the terrible first release. The playfield lighting overall is now great. Colors now pop. The fuzziness, lack of definition are gone, and you can now actually SEE the ball. The physics have improved a bit--ball is not as lightning fast as it was before. It's actually now fun to play.
    AC/DC also looks great as well. The colors pop so much it's like entering a circus. It's a tough game to reproduce because there are so many different "areas' and narrow-tunnel shots to encounter, but it is fun. And plays fun.
    I didn't look at the other games because I have them already. But the lobby has improved--the speed switching between tables is much faster and the colors really pop.
    It's not perfect, and some things are still lacking (like Pro version functionality, customized room lighting, and general slowness moving between menus), but the newer version is heads and tails between the crap they originally put out.

Thanks for the heads up - my wife saw me download and play st & ac/dc a few weeks ago and I was embarrassed I wasted the $$$ on them. Can't wait to get home & check out the updates!

#45 7 years ago

Crazy how slow the PS3 is when it comes to downloading updates!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

When you get a chance, please compile a list of machines that are better on TPA than in real life.

Sorry that came out the wrong way.

All games are better in real life but some in TPA really suck and leave a bad impression. Whitewater is one for me because for some reason some shots just don't work. I don't know how many times I've bricked a shot off the bottom of a sling on WH2O in TPA. It never happens on the real game. Starship Troopers is another game that plays like a dog in TPA and makes me long to play the real thing.

#47 7 years ago

Stern Pinball Arcade is an awesome game. I can't wait for Ghost Busters to come out, does anyone have any idea when that will be?

#48 7 years ago

I updated to version 1.02 today and it's way brighter. You can adjust brightness as well.

I'm on PS4 and just can't stand the input lag. Am I the only one bothered by this? It's better than the standard pinball arcade which is just unplayable but why the hell is there input lag?

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

I updated to version 1.02 today and it's way brighter. You can adjust brightness as well.
    I'm on PS4 and just can't stand the input lag. Am I the only one bothered by this? It's better than the standard pinball arcade which is just unplayable but why the hell is there input lag?

I'm on the PS4 as well and I don't have any lag at all. Does your TV have a "game mode" setting on it? If so that will fix your problem if it's not turned on. I think the game plays amazing.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

It is possible you might have to put your tv in game mode. You can try gutair hero and see if you have input lag on that title and that could tell you if it is your tv or the game itself.

There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.