(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

But Stern says it has 99% UV blocking, less than 1% light reflection and optimized glass for true color transmission, over 97 light transmission. Only $240 this must be a great product.

Some people also believed that BM66 was an "innovative" even though it was a recycled design and prior used mechanisms from other games of the past.
    8 years ago, certain individuals at Stern denied that the home market was the viable sales priority, and continued to reassure operators that they were at the forefront of the manufacturers support. This occurred right up to just a few years ago in words, even though most knew otherwise.

Money changes people's opinions as Stern attempts to retain market supremacy in many areas.
    Time shows the changes, but marketing advertisement is not a method of acceptable evaluation.

A technical review will discover the true results.
    I look forward to the comparison.

#129 7 years ago

As an professional engineer, I like graphs, properly interpreted data, and charts for evaluation.
    I look forward to the results of PDI testing the Stern glass, and do a proper scientific evaluation, side by side with JJP, PDI, and whatever Heighway is presenting.
    It is not like others do not have both types already available.

I just don't feel like spending another $1100+ on four sheets of glass for games, let own $22K for all my games.
    It adds up really fast.
    Especially since I can get standard tempered glass local at far less than $40 a sheet.
    I did buy one sheet of JJP glass, for kicks, and it was a nice change, but not really critical for games that are not using "eye burning LEDs" or some type glare directed downward lighting in a game room.
    Never really thought about it again.

I do have access to a optical laboratory, but not exclusively for a hobby, as I am not even sure how I could get that to pass the laugh check, if I asked to borrow time, and I prefer not make up an excuse.

A comparison chart has to be generated, and it will seen how close the criteria matches the reported specifications.
    Optical clarity is subjective, as is light transmission, unless tested.
    Photos are not good sources of indication of specifications, but easier for layman reviews.
    At this point, we really need this assessment based on the amounts of money people spend without asking many questions to manufacturers.

Until then, everything regarding this glass simply remains unconfirmed as marketing hype, and the ability to dupe new buyers.

As far as Stern is concerned, I would suspect this is classified as an "aftermarket mod" and a viable source of continued income, not a standard feature inclusion, in a pinball world of "less game for more cost".

In some ways, I am really starting to believe if Stern stated the sky is green rather the blue, people would just accept it as truth.

#163 7 years ago

The only real direct question that should be asked of any manufacturer regarding playfield glass of this nature after final testing:

"Does this (brand) playfield glass provide a consumer with 10X (1000%) the optical clarity comparative to the suggested MSRP over a standard piece of production tempered glass?"
    It is not like they should not know the answer to this question, if they properly produced a product.

This is very close to the markups over over standard glass, give or take a few dollars on commercial glass production.
    Sunglasses/eyeglasses are not playfield glass, unless owners have really big eyes.
    I would be even willing to drop the optical clarity to 8X for a margin of error during the coating process and consider the premium status as a product.

This is a simple answer, without a lot of technical data background, yes or no.
    From my experience, no, even considering the premium, but perhaps things have changed in the past few years.
    That is why at this point a bit more research is required.

Otherwise, this is just another example the changes in the hobby of how people want to look at their games, rather than play them.
    "My playfield glass is better than your playfield glass."
    Yep, that's great.

Not logical.

Games play just fine without special glass, and in some cases is imperceptible base on the type of game (age of design), angle of the playfield, game lighting, and room lighting. Late model DMDs and modern games benefit the most from this type of glass out of glare issues from the display, flashers, and LEDs.

But, a bottle of Clear Eyes is cheaper.
    "Wow."

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#172 7 years ago

When an owner feels the need to defend playfield glass purchases or any company that makes a product, I don't need to prove any points about why they bought it in the first place.

I mentioned I own non-glare glass and tested on various types of games, probably more than many in terms of era. I did not take the glass to my materials lab. I do like to test new products with value. As stated, the primary benefit was modern games based on identical lighting conditions that many enthusiasts here often refer. There was no significant benefit to EMs and woodrails, and only some benefit for early SS. EMs were tested using the "layover" technique, if they were not to proper size. People may not even consider that this type of glass is not necessarily for optimal usage for other types machines. It is a "mod".

I have always found that quoting another is a form of acceptance of thought, so it made people stop and reflect.

If a member believes my opinion to be illogical and not ask common sense questions regarding quality specifications on mutiple areas of pinball and the large number of market advertising statements, then just block me. The same thing applies if I provide to much detail for others to read. People cannot learn anything from yes or no answers, or "group think".

I am not offended.
    I am a realist.

"You can bring a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.