(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#135 7 years ago

I believe PDI will be offered as an option for Alien?. That's the way my LE will come, if so. PDI is the best out there now, period. Very noticable over standard glass, and better the invisiglass. Makes sense for Stern to offer theirs if the price is right, as they could ship w the machine, but will certainly need to see a comparison.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget that coatings for telescope optics have a 10-12% rejection rate, so why would we assume that every pinball glass comes out of the deposition chamber perfect?
    We need to know at what angle the light is being reflected (Angle of Incidence) and what wavelengths of light are being reflected.
    There are coatings especially made for high angle anti-reflection.

You, my friend, have hit the nail on the head. Does anyone buy eyeglasses? Pretty easy to differentiate the difference in coatings/ treatments there. I swear once I got a great pair of glasses, w premium lenses, glare was gone, and the whole world was more vibrant with pretty dramatic color enhancements.

Switch to PDI....this stuff has an optical grade coating on it. The overall effect is very dramatic ( to me). I have a single sheet of invisiglass on my WOZ, and 2 plain sheets at the moment ( BM66LE and WCS, which Had PDI, but dropped and broke it..joy). Easy to see the difference.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just wonder if you got a piece of glass that is not fully coated.
    When you are at an expo, it is easy to see the games in the rows with AR glass installed.

It's been well covered in EVERY PDI, Invisiglass, or other thread....Neo simply doesn't like it....I know others that see a difference, but can't justify the money.....all good....I don't know him, and certainly entitled to his opinion....I see it, and it's a Great mod for ME....that's all.

#170 7 years ago

"My playfield glass is better than your playfield glass."
    Yep, that's great.
    Not logical.
    But, a bottle of Clear Eyes is cheaper.
    "Wow."

Yea, that's the reason I buy it...to throw away money for bragging rights? Good grief....who am I " bragging to" ? This self righteous shit really gets old....

And YES, eyeglasses make a great analogy....have you ever bought uncoated lenses ( same prescription) vs true optical coated ones to reduce glare and enhance clarity? I have...the clear, untreated lenses look like shit, period, in comparison. BIG difference.

"Logic = clear eyes" ? Now there's some applicable logic there.....shit, I'm pissed now....save the " logic" for actual process.

If you don't LIKE the glass, or can't justify the price...nothing wrong with that ( and why would you be posting here). But to say there is no difference? Get over it...THERE IS!!!...how does stern's measure up? No way to tell yet.

#188 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

When an owner feels the need to defend playfield glass purchases or any company that makes a product, I don't need to prove any points about why they bought it in the first place.

I'm not defending anything, nor do you have anything to prove. No reason to block you, as some of your stuff is semi interesting, on occasion.

I believe logic and pure "fact vs, fiction" can be quite subjective, however, so maybe an inward look before preaching your "fact" might be better received.

Neo doesn't think the glass lives up to expectations and is overpriced. That's his opinion, and I truly respect that. Others (including me) believe it to be a value added mod to their machine. That too, should be respected.

This thread is about Stern branded antiglare glass, not the concept in general. Maybe we let them show their product, then we can all decide for ourselves......

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This should be an easy test.
    1. Set up a DSLR camera on a tripod & boom at the height and head angle of a human male (6 foot?). Boom will allow the playfield glass to be changed without touching the camera.
    2. Set the exposure and lock all the settings in manual mode, so nothing changes (we don't want the camera opening up the aperture or changing the ISO).
    3. Zoom out so the entire playfield glass is in the viewfinder.
    4. Put a 4 foot fluorescent lamp overhead, so it glares across the entire playfield. Make sure the lamp is a full spectrum bulb (for worse case scenario).
    5. Shoot all 3 (four?) brands of glass.
    6. Compare photos.
    7. For hard science, compare the camera's histograms.
    This will give us the % reflectance at the same angle of incidence as a player actually sees the game. We could also move the light source to an off-angle position too, for further consideration.

I think your "player angle" carries the most merit in this approach. The optically treated glass really seems to enhance the players perception of clarity and anti glare, in my experience.

#333 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

much like LED OCD, this is a product that is really hard to convey the value of through pictures. i love PDI/Invisiglass, they're great products, and both are far more invisible than normal glass.
    i'm interested not so much in photos or videos, but what people who possess the new Stern glass think, particularly how it compares to PDI/Invisiglass (the difference between the two is overstated).

Nail on the head!!! PDI is superior, but my WOZ came w invisiglass, and I couldn't justify $$$ switching it out. I have 2 machines in need, and would just prefer an honest opinion from someone who has PDI as to how the Stern compares. Competition is a GOOD thing!!!

#382 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

Okay...i am just asking...what is the difference between PDI and Invisaglass...two differnt products?

Yes, 2 different products, from 2 different companies. Both good, but PDI simply performs better ( has an optical grade coating, that can actually be scratched). There will be no way to determine where the Stern glass quality falls until they are compared, side by side.

Sorry you bought so many sheets " sight unseen" . Hopefully, you can return it if you're not satisfied.

#384 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Did u see my pics tho? I have no glare in my house on neither brand(jjp or pdi) and people are cant believe it when they come over to play. I always have one game with regular glass just to show the difference and people are really amazed at the difference at least in my home and lighting situation.

A losing case you are making....same scenario in my game room...the PDI is noticeably better to casual observers than the plain glass. Not even close. Neo doesn't believe it performs as advertised....is what it is...I can respect his opinion, but no way would I have spent the money if there wasn't a noticeable improvement...also is what it is....

#418 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

LEFT INVISAGLASS and RIGHT STERN HD
    The difference here was subtle if any. I can see a slight difference in the pics but from the naked eye it was a toss up. For the price I would go Stern HD with my particular conditions...

Thank you for the side by side!!! Something to seriously consider, as it seems they are similar ( based on pics and your comments).

I've found that pics never do true justice for this high end glass. It always looks way better in person.

My hope from a third competitor is that it drives the price down on ALL the versions. I would like to stay with, and support PDI, but it seems the price difference is becoming " real money" now......maybe Roman will have some positive news on this front, moving forward.....

#443 7 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

When I break glass I don't wear eye protection either!

PDI breaks too ( first hand experience...no more drinking and pulling the glass)....happened awhile back....you don't need eye protection..just tissues to wipe the tears....

#444 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

When Roman finds someone else that can distribute in the USA, maybe we can get a bulk order in and have it delivered to the VFW show. I would buy a PDI sheet from that show ... anyone else?

Don't know where this show is...but I'm in the middle of nowhere...NEED 2 sheets....hoping Roman can scheme something....any discount appreciated!!!

#446 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, nonsense. You're right near the guy in Black Mountain that's making my hammered dulcimer.
    (Thinking about driving down there to pick it up. I hear the BBQ is to DIE for...)

You are correct on both counts...if your near this VFW show, bring 2 sheets of PDI with you ( I'll buy of course) and I'll take you to one of the best BBQ joints around ...but we can't eat it around the glass...too messy....

#449 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Is that Eastern or Lexington style?

Ha...I prefer the tomato based version....but people seem to kill for the Lexington, vinegar based.....

#476 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Please share the BBQ spot, headed to Asheville in June.

I like tomato based...the best ( and nationally recognized) is right here in Asheville " 12 Bones" . It's been a presidential stop, and the BBQ is unbelievably good.

True NC BBQ is vinegar based, however ( I don't like it personally), and the best without a doubt ( also nationally rated) is the " Lexington BBQ" located in Lexington ( figured I'd throw that in, because it's a solid 2 hour drive east of Asheville).

People make both a travel stop, so sometimes the wait can be long, but usually not too bad...pricing reasonable.
    I've been to both several times.....

Safe travels and enjoy when you head this way...mark

#477 7 years ago

Well -- UPDATE on my Stern HD Glass -- My Dad return ALL 14 pieces and I was happy to say that at first they did not want to refund my money - but thanks to John with Stern and the Upper Management they did take them back because they have not yet announced that there was going to be a NO RETURN POLICY on the glass --
    I should have not got so many at one time -- That was totally my fault and I only open 5 boxes but they did take them all back and they thank me for all the business that I do with them. So for that...Thanks to Stern for working we me on this return.
    It was not that I was not totally happy -- there is a difference it was just that I was wanting the speaker lights and the DMD lights to be like gone or nearly gone - and there was really NO DIFFERENCE on that aspect.
    Thanks Stern -- and thanks to Joe @ Pinball Star -- Glad I did not have stick JOE on them.

You did well, and truly have to give Stern props on this for taking these back. As you mentioned ( and believe the case with the other 2 companies) PF glass is non returnable. Bullet dodged, as you definitely had some $$$ on the table there...

#479 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Slow down Wrench. 14 pieces wtf?

LMAO Ice!!!....you stated what I'm sure we were all thinking.....

#487 7 years ago

I would spend the money if it works. I do not mind that itnis higher...just want to eliminate the glare..without using a deflector shield if at all possible.

Take Boobs advice and buy ONE sheet of PDI. The stuff is definitely better. Depending on your playing angle, nothing eliminates all reflection, but this stuff is really good. Put it on, live with it awhile ( you'll have plain glass to compare it to now), and you'll love it.

#492 7 years ago

Buy 1 piece of this and DMD glare is gone ( 1 sheet makes 3 DMD sized sheets). Doesn't look good on colordmd though, and doesn't help backbox translate glare.....I suggest Bourbon....

2 sheets of PDI is cheaper, shipping wise, but he won't take it back

IMG_1579 (resized).JPGIMG_1579 (resized).JPG

#494 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Nah, if you're gonna get one buy two - the price break on shipping for the second one makes too much sense - if you don't like it someone local will probably buy it from you.

Agreed....beat me to my post

#495 7 years ago

Okay...i will buy two...JUST TWO PDI glass and see how it is...how do I get those??

Joey at PDI

#500 7 years ago

Okay...i will buy two...JUST TWO PDI glass and see how it is...how do I get those??

If you were closer I'd take them from you if you didn't like them ( I need 2) , but as stated above, someone local will probably buy them from you if you don't like them.

#571 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Would you be able to take a picture of the two glasses over a playfield? It'll definitely help some of us have a better understanding of how good/bad it is. TAF might just have less glare than b66 and ST

Unfortunately, it's really hard to judge the difference with photos. You are spot on w TAF, however, as it's a much darker game than the other 2 mentioned.

Suspect it will come down to price vs. perceived value of the purchaser. Like most mods, some care less, while a " must have" for others. I believe eventually, someone will display the " science" difference between the 3, and there will still be personal preference. Choice is always good, and those of us that appreciate this mod will benefit, period ( hopefully with competitive pricing).

#574 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

All we need is one vendor to have a "sale"...

Yes, yes!!!

#580 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Yea in the end it's seeing is believing and what ever works best on our own machines. But that video Roman made comparing invisaglass and his glass completely convinced me to get his glass over Jacks when I decide to pull the trigger. Which sucks cause Jacks within driving distance from me lol.

That's where I'm at....for me the PDI is noticeably better, but just me.....hopping the Stern is somewhere in the mix, so Roman can get more people to try his stuff if completion brings all the price down. He will sell more PDI, period, if the price gap narrows.....business......

#581 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No kidding. The distributor needs to get control of his own product

If he wants to sell more of his product, kind of a no brainer

#656 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

I feel the need to change something and I know that the copycats are waiting...

I truly don't think you have to "change" anything. Your glass has proven to be the best so far (suspect it remains as such)...just a strategic sale every now and then would get your product in more people's machine's, and create more excitement for the next time a "sale" popped up.

Find a fiscal and time window that works, make it worthwhile for people to give it a go (like a deep discount just for orders placed through one weekend or something). I think you would be surprised that you could then "hold to your guns" the remaining periods, and people would be saving for the special events.

Competition is healthy....you just have to get your stuff in front of more people on occasion. If you were to ever offer "buy one, get the other half off" for a weekend you would have backorders instantly. If you don't do it, someone certainly will.... (sorry..i'm part sales guy, now exec, and really enjoy your product).

#679 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Thank you for your well intentioned advice.
    My thoughts are not addressing the glass qualitywise. I´m playing with alternative ideas in regard of availability.

Perfect!!!...that was the intent of my post...anxious to see what you come up with.....mark

#687 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...but not your last.

Man, isn't that the truth!!!

2 years later
    #808 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Iron Maiden still rocks at my place
    Maiden deserved nice clean and a new sheet of PDI
    I put the HD on AC/DC and it looks great ! Simply kills the standard glass.
    METLE had PDI from day 1, Second to color DMD, PDI is the best enhancement for pinball.
    Stern HD is excellent as well.[quoted image]

Right you are...Nice music pin row!!!

#810 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

JJP has no interest in discounts on bulk orders. Stern glass was a third cheaper if I picked it up from a localish distributor. At four sheets to buy at once for my own use, it was a no brainer to try.
    So far I’m pretty happy with the Stern glass and would buy it again.

JJP invisiglass is inferior to both PDI (1st) and Stern (2nd). PDI never discounts to my knowledge, except shipping ( which is expensive) . I believe Joey worked a deal w someone to sell at shows to save the shipping, but that's about it.

#812 4 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

Interesting - I have 2 JJP and 1 Stern - like them both pretty much the same - but going to try and PDI glass next.

Stern is close to PDI in performance and costs less. JJP just doesn't have the same type of etching/ coating..better than stock, but not PDI. Is what it is.

PDI has the best treatment, extreme quality finish on edges, and simply looks the best (except the price tag). All based on my eyes of course, but can definitely see the difference. There are several threads on this stuff, and you can go to the PDI site for detailed info/ comparison.

#817 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Yes,I had that on my Houdini!! I traded my Houdini for a RZ Spook Show and kept the Magic glass for the RZ!! Its very nice,but P.D.I.glass just seems better!!

Basically (3x) opinion groups on this:

a) Plain glass is fine - can't see any difference
    b) PDI is the noticeably better(best) of the versions, but too expensive. Still a must have because I really like it.
    c) Any treated glass is noticeably better, but not worth the cost...not (or maybe) buying it...

I'm in category "b)". My eyesight (which has never been amazing) has really tuned in to the optic clarity that PDI achieves. Best Mod nobody appreciates or "sees", until they reach for items on PF, realizing then that there is glass there.

#831 4 years ago

Overhead 40w led lighting...

Both pics...glass on

IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=mk6pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.