(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#417 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I truly believe that $150 is the magic price point. Anyone who can provide a similar product for $150 or less is going to sell a ton of it.

I buy new $35 sheet of glass for every game that enters my gameroom. The difference between even mildly scratched glass and a fresh sheet is huge. My gameroom has near perfect lighting and black ceilings to minimize reflections, so the difference for PDI is not worth the big bucks. You really have to struggle to tell the difference between the glass on WOZ and the other games in my gameroom especially when they are clean top and bottom. I've seen the PDI comparisons to Invisiglass and PDI is noticeably better. I would probably buy PDI for my nicer games if I could get it at my door for $100 or less per sheet.

#468 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

I often wonder why they just don't turn them off when the start button is pressed.

These are the way to go. You can set the brightness both during game and attract.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/backbox-kits/4587457160

#471 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Nice product but It would be cheaper if the pin was already coded with it from day one.

Coded to dim the fluorescent bulb?

#568 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,I put the new Stern glass on my TAFG! it sits between my ST/PRE,and my B66LE,witch both have P.D.I.glass on them!No one yet has been able to tell the difference! SO,thats about it,fans! anymore comparisons are your eyes only!!!

Two questions:

Did the Stern glass come with any special handling or cleaning instructions?

Does the Stern glass have a watermark on it to identify it? If so, hopefully it is small and or hidden?

#631 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I haven't seen the Stern product yet, but I'd be surprised if it's anywhere as good as Roman's / PDI, and would guess it's likely inferior to Jack's product, too.

The early reviews have been pretty positive from what I have read. The Stern is at least in the middle of the two if not closer to PDI.

#633 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Or do a 2 for 1 like Jack did to gain a following

They were purging the glass with the big ugly JJP watermarks that they stupidly put on the original runs.

#645 7 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Surprised Stern didn't put their logo on their new glass, all the same.

Yeah I'm surprised there isn't some sort of mark or etching hidden asking the edge.

#690 7 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

damn that's huuuuuuuuuuge.

Yeah it looks like Stern has the right stuff. That is a huge difference. I'd like to see some side-by-side pictures and video with PDI. Looks like Invisiglass is in trouble...

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea i may get one piece of stern glass so i can test it against my other 2 brands. Id guess they all are gonna work about the same in my gamerooms since there isnt much difference between what i allready have. Curious why u say invisaglass is in trouble but not pdi ? If sterns is just as good for 60.00 less a sheet than y get anything but sterns?

PDI is cheaper in Europe I though.

6 months later
    #767 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Ptown What do like more about the Invisiglass over PDI? I don't believe I've read that opinion yet.
    It seems from reading and pics that Stern is very similar to invisiglass, so that sounds encouraging.
    I've only seen invisiglass in person (on DI) and thought it was an improvement over pins next to it with standard glass, and the DI standard I once saw in a different setting.

There is a lot of anecdotal, non scientific and apples to oranges information out there on this subject. Also, a lot of people expecting more than what is actually promised. The best controlled video and photo comparisons side by side that I have seen show that PDI is clearly better than Invisiglass (sorry for the pun). The Stern glass looks similar to invisiglass but the jury is still out.
    None of these can fully make up for an improperly lit room, bright speaker LEDs, DMD reflection, bright LEDs behind the translite, etc.

#769 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do you have a link to these videos? I am wanting to get some glass for 2 or 3 games and just can't stomach spending $1000 unless it is definitely the best option. I'm fine with any of the manufacturers

#783 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

we all have issues, but honestly I see zero difference between the two products...I have 8 sheets of IG and 2 sheets of PDI...

Each game has it's own glare issue as does each game room and even two different spots in the same game room. Judging the difference by eye is very tough. That is why the best test is side by side and not on a pinball machine at all. The video linked in my post above is to me incontrovertible evidence using a very scientific method. They are both in the same environment on the same screen at the same time and all variables such as position or camera auto settings eliminated. I'm not sure how anyone, even an engineer like me, can watch that video and not come to a definite conclusion. Now we just need two more videos exactly like that with Stern vs PDI and Stern vs IG.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.