(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I don't see a thread already. It appears Stern finally has their own reduced glare glass at a cheaper price than JJP. It will be interesting to see a comparison of the glare suppression of the brands.

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?ProductId=6299062

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Do you have to clean this type of optical glass a certain way? I prefer window cleaner and to just be done with it.

You don't want to use ammonia based cleaner on it. The easiest and cheap cleaner is a 50-50 mix of distilled water and rubbing alcohol in a cheap squirt bottle.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Going to close this one since we already have one open for this topic.

Please post the link. Many of us can't find it.

#15 7 years ago

Thanks. It could use a more specific title referring to glare.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Dear all,
    FYI: I may add that I`ve spoken to Gary nearly 8 years ago to use my glass in their games.
    He made it clear that this is an aftermarket product - no interest.
    A few months back I wrote Jody to think about using my glass in their Premium and LE games
    since Stern started to sell aftermarket products too and the Euro is weak at the moment.
    No progress here.
    The pic with the glass explained is full of discrepances, starting with the glass thickness (2.5mm) + coating.
    So the coating (whatever material it is) has to be at least 1mm thick on each side to fit the games properly without
    rattling.
    If this information is just a sample for the interested to understand the coated layers better and the dims are just there
    to have at least something... so be it.
    Please stay calm and wait until someone has seen and compared the glass with others which are available.
    I hope that unbiased information will be available soon.
    Roman

The smart money is on waiting to see if the product functionality matches up well with the competition.
    If it does function well then the market price, at least in the US, is being set by Stern.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Follow the white rabbit...hmm...again...please take a look here
    http://tru-vue.com/solution/museum-glass/
    then klick "Technical Info & Resources".
    Deja Vu ?
    Assuming Stern Pinball uses Tru Vue`s Museum Glass then there are several questions I'd ask before purchasing.
    1. What is the total thickness of the glass ?
    2. Is it tempered ?
    3. How does the glass behave if it's elevated ?
    FYI: Museum glass is used in face-on applications and it's not tempered. Acrylic glass is shatterfree.
    Roman

I can't imagine them using non-tempered glass. That would be a huge liability risk. One person having an artery severed and Stern could be be ruined.

I would guess that Stern is having custom sheets made at the correct thickness and tempered.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

If the product description from Sterns store is exactly the glass which is sold, then its not tempered.
    Tru Vue is not offering tempered glass as far as I`m aware of and
    2.5mm thick glass would shatter in the oven during the tempering process if the information is correct.
    Maybe someone can call Stern and ask the questions I mentioned above.
    I`m biased and I can only provide investigative questions.

Would 2.5 mm even work in pinball machine glass channels? It seems way too thin. I have to suspect it will be a custom made product by the glass company for Stern.

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying any until the details are known.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Some competition in this area was needed.

...assuming this will be an equal or better product as compared to Invisiglass and/or PDI.

The competition Stern injects will hopefully be a legit equivalent product rather than a pretender like the guy that used to be on Pinside trying to sell glare reducing glass that was not even close to PDI and Invisiglass.

#107 7 years ago

Is Roman the trade name for the PDI glass?

#185 7 years ago

Anti-glare glass makes a huge difference for topper lighting(with a white ceiling) glare.

#212 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It if simple to remove the glass they had to move the tripod

You really are in love with Stern.

These Stern pictures do not matter. What will matter is consumer comparisons with Invisiglass and PDI. If those comparisons show Stern's glass to be the same then Stern has something because of their 20% reduction in price.

#220 7 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

the Stern price is to high

How can you ascertain that the price is too high before any of us even know what the glass can do?

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Why should anyone (in Europe) buy this overpriced piece of glass, if there is for 100$ less a nearly perfect product available?
    only if Stern change the sizes of their cabinets, this will makes sense.

Those in Europe already have a cheap option. For those in the US this could be a 20% price reduction if the product is as good as Invisiglass.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Technically you should have the same price options in the US since JJP is offering his Invisiglass and
    Stern has started their marketing campain with HD Glass.
    I can see a really interesting marketing phenomenon here.
    Have you ever thought about how it can be that JJP`s Invisiglass is more than $130 cheaper in Germany than in the US ?
    But it`s made in the US...

What is the price for Invisiglass and Roman/PDI in Germany?

#229 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

There are Stern conspiracy theorist out there

How is what I wrote about Stern's price being 20% cheaper than Invisiglass a conspiracy theory? We do still need to see how it functions. Actual comparisons will be what matters. I am hoping it is the same as PDI in functionality and if it at least does equally what Invisiglass does then Stern has set a price that will be hard to pass up for those needing/wanting anti-glare glass.

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It was not you but you commented on my post on the conspiracy theorist post as for Stern fan I am not buying any of the three glass manufacturers

The point is you always seem to jump in and defend and up-talk Stern. You give off a vibe that you have something personal to defend.

#236 7 years ago

Posting for further conversation, here is the original JJP promotional image:

65 (resized).jpg65 (resized).jpg

#251 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Invisiglass pricing in Germany(Europe) can be found here:
    http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?n=40&s=490&e=50&m=&p=1&o=1&guid=&l=1&q=&lang=e&lnge=1
    Roman/PDI pricing can be found here:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html
    Please consider that both links show pricing including VAT (local sales tax) which is 19% in Germany

Why hasn't Roman glass been offered in the US at a much lower price since the Euro is no longer worth so much more than the dollar?
    Why not have more than one distributor? PDI always seems to be the highest price for almost everything.

#269 7 years ago

^The Price Wars have started.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

If you want a meaningful, practical test, have someone over that has no knowledge of your varies types of glass and let them just play unaware and if they don't take notice of it without prompting then it's probably not for them. Anything else carries some investment bias.
    I played at a friends house for an hour and never noticed that one of his machines had Invisiglass, so it is definitely not all things for all people.

I have literally reached down to do something on the playfield and hit the glass thinking the glass was off. I have also had non-pinball people ask if there was glass on the top and then they reach down and touch it to see/feel to confirm.

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Joey told me that Roman Glass is shipped to Pinball Decals, Inc (PDI) in batches of 150 sheets per gaylord.
    Since I wasn't familiar with that term, I looked it up and learned that "gaylords" are triple-walled, corrugated pallet boxes which measure 48" x 40" x 36" on the inside (stock photo below), and they carry that name because the first bulk bins were manufactured by the Gaylord Container Company of St. Louis.

I thought this was what they were referring:

focker (resized).jpgfocker (resized).jpg

#364 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

I hate to say this andnI hardly ever make an issue on an product. I will most likely be returning all the ones I bought....again...looks nice...but it does not stop the glare coming off the DMD and for the price...it should.

Didn't you read any of the comments in this thread about how anti-glare glass does not 100% suppress DMD and backglass glare?

We are still waiting for someone to post side-by-side comparisons of Stern's product with Invisiglass and Roman/PDI.

#365 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Didn't you read any of the comments in this thread about how anti-glare glass does not 100% suppress DMD and backglass glare?

We are still waiting for someone to post side-by-side comparisons of Stern's product with Invisiglass and Roman/PDI.

Also, this product in combination with anti-glare glass will help tremendously with DMD glare and some backglass glare:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=363&pg=1

#388 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

And that's the main thing that bothers me when Neo keeps ripping on the glass. He's essentially calling anyone who bought it a chump. It's highly insulting.

He is also committing a Pinside violation being a broken record.

#392 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you can swing it or order with a friend:
    JJP glass is $221.25 + shipping, standard or widebody same price:
    https://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=63

4 or more required

#398 7 years ago

I just took a couple pictures for comparison between Invisiglass and regular glass.

Spiderman has a lit topper and you can see how the haze is all over the regular glass making it hard to clearly see the details of the playfield.

Standard glass:
    IMG_1425 (resized).JPGIMG_1425 (resized).JPG
    Invisiglass:
    IMG_1423 (resized).JPGIMG_1423 (resized).JPG

#461 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

So this is pretty much a swing and a miss for stern glass?

I don't think we really know how it compares to Invisiglass and PDI/Roman yet.

#507 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

So am I safe to say that there is no glass that gets rid of the glare coming off the spraker lights and DMD???

That is what these $8 glare guards do.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3301

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#522 6 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Can someone take a close up of the bent plastic installed? Does it detract from the look of the game?

From the front you will likely hardly notice it. From the side this shows it: (edit: not one of my games, not my house)

d4433ff2fd6c8b6bc41b9dd72625a3cf3f0482e8 (resized).jpgd4433ff2fd6c8b6bc41b9dd72625a3cf3f0482e8 (resized).jpg

#530 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Didn't even notice them from the side the only thing I noticed was that mighty fine looking Goldeneye you have hiding behind your JP.

Not my picture.

#533 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

And while I'm offering suggestions, dcfan, you need to put a really big bent plastic on that window of yours for guests watching from the side while you play JP.

I get that you are joking around, but it is not my picture. I was only posting what I found on the internet to show the glare guard on a game.

#545 6 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Thanks for the photo, but I wanted to see how the plastic lip physically looks installed, and not what it does to reduce the glare.
    Can you take another pic?

The lip of the plastic slides under the rear glass channel, between the glass and the channel.

Go to about the 40 second mark in this video:

#556 6 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

I understand that the pricepoint in the US is a very sensitive topic, but I´m not setting the prices for the US and
    I´m not telling those who sell it at which price level they have to sell.
    Maybe this will change with more competition.
    Have you asked yourself why those who produce the glass in the US sell their glass at the same or nearly the same price level ?
    They don`t have to import the glass. No customs, no additional fees and no currency exchange charges apply here.
    So why is it so expensive ?
    Please ask those who sell it.
    I have the impression since more and more anti reflective glass sellers show up that a reasonable price/quality ratio needs to be found
    and we are in the middle of this process.
    I`d be really happy if those main questions from this thread could be answered on how Stern´s new glass performs in comparison to the
    existing and to help those who´d like to know to make a decision.

Are you sure that Invisiglass is not made in Europe?

#589 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

When will a domestic glass company see what's happening and offer a $140 sheet of glass and basically take over 100% of this market?

Based on the price of Invisiglass in Europe, $140 plus shipping offered in the USA would certainly take almost all of the anti-glare glass sales. I suspect, assuming Stern's glass functions comparably, Stern will take somewhere near 80% of the sales even at their price of $239.

#593 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Why undercut your competition by a lot, when you can cut by a little and make more money.
    Same reason for sterns pricing.

This is why the PRICE WARS hopefully will start soon. The lowest price seller will likely win the bulk of sales when all other things are generally equal. Hopefully JJP will lower their price to at least match Stern's and then PDI/Roman will likely be out of the glass business in the USA until they lower theirs as well.

#615 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Magnesium Fluoride anti-reflection coatings (those are the ones that have the slightly greenish tint off-axis) are .40 cents a square foot to apply, yet the eye doctor will gladly charge you $100 for AR Deluxe Secret Scratch Resistant Coating.

Isn't that what Costco puts on their glasses (free/included in the price)?

#620 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't know.
    I've only been to Costco once, and everything was expensive and in larger quantities than any single man would want.
    "Step right up sir! Here are 4 gallons of milk shrink wrapped together for only $1 more than they charge at Aldi..."
    "And look over here! Why not grab yourself a 3 pack of SD memory cards for your camera? Only $15 more than Adorama, and you get to buy 3 of them !!!!"
    "But before you ask, what would one have to pay for the privilege of shopping in such an amazing store? Only $59 a year! "

I agree Costco is often not a great option for a single person. As for the membership fee, we get that back in cash rebates for having the executive membership. We also get a fairly large rebate for using the credit card. The eye glasses are much cheaper at Costco than at my optometrist and the optometrist does charge a fairly big fee for the anti-reflective coating. Since my optometrist knew I did not have any eye glass insurance he told me to make sure to get the AR coating wherever I did buy the glasses rather than pressuring me to buy from him knowing I would pay him at least double the cost.

#662 6 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Here's what the regular glass looked like with it..

Why is there a glare on the rails in the one picture and not the other?

#693 6 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Just got mine in the mail today. I have a strip of RGB LEDs up high on the wall above the games, and while it's great for ambiance, glare was particularly bad with my Space Shuttle due to the lower angle of the glass vs modern games. Took a chance and ordered a Stern AR glass, not knowing how much of a difference it would make, and WOW - it's just incredible! Made a HUGE difference! Here are some before and after photos. I realize the angle is slightly different, but the result is pretty representative of the difference it made regardless. Amazing.
    Before:
    After:

That does look similar in performance to the Invisiglass I showed in Post #398 of my SM where the topper lighting glare is nearly eliminated:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/8

#699 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballpal:

The best their is $200 shipped.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/my-biz
    Straight from the scorch from Germany!!!

"Best Pinball glass their is. The same has PDI glass only less inexpensive.

What is that supposed to mean?

#705 6 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

What is the consensus on the proper/safest way to clean this glass?

See the first page for the liquid. Also, Use a clean microfiber cloth.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.