(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 7 years ago

I've got 2 sheets of PDI arriving tomorrow. Be curious to see reviews once this posts... if it's as good and cheaper, that's good for all. Or will cause some competition around the pricing. (Maybe)

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

What was your shipping charge on the glass? Looks like Stern is in the $45 range. I'd like to know how total cost (shipped) compares.

2 sheets for $75 or $65 for a single. So i said screw it and ordered 2.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have 5 sheets of PDI glass currently. I believe it's the best mod in all of pinball. It's truly enhances the gameplay experience. Not just bling.
    If the Stern glass is comprable, I'll be ordering MANY sheets.

That's good to hear, I waited awhile but my sheets show up today. Primarily bought it for my MMR. If it's worth the money it'll go on all my machines.

#115 7 years ago

I just installed my PDI glass on my MMr today. I will say i'm impressed, i waited a long time to buy it as i was on the fence. It does literally look like there is no glass on the machine and as a result, the colors are much much brighter and sharper. The reflections i see now are actually coming from the playfield and not the glass. If i walk over to one of my other machines then it's instantly noticeable. I honestly think it looks the best with the can lights on overhead, i've never been able to play a game with the lights on overhead.

Is it perfect? No, does it eliminate every single reflection? No, but the only way to do that is to not have glass.

I ordered 2 sheets, so i just need to decide which game gets the 2nd sheet.

Just my opinion, but i'm happy with the glass and what it did to the game.

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

bullshit. Remember when PDI was experimenting with it and developing it? on RGP? This is exactly the way it was advertised. "will Eliminate backglass and display glare". That was the sole purpose of it's development. Then after it didn't work as they intended, they started changing and downplaying it's ability to do it's job, yet keep the insane price.

I haven't seen it advertised that way, but maybe it was originally. Regarding pricing, it's a niche market and there isn't much for competition, so it's not that surprising. I've custom ordered glass from a local shop and it was about $70/sheet. I think $200 would be a sweet spot for the pricing and fair. $300 is what it is and there aren't any options at the moment.

We'll see what the feedback is on the Stern stuff, if it's good and $60 cheaper, then that's good for the market and the community.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So if we all agree that the glass does indeed make a difference, even if you are only willing to concede that the difference is slight, then why bother arguing about the cost. Yes, it's expensive, but so are a lot of other things in this hobby. We're talking about a hobby where people will pay $500 for a topper or $400 for a ColorDMD, and these are mods that don't even affect the gameplay. At least PDI glass directly affects the way in which your eyes perceive the playfield. I'd say that's pretty darn important. Sure, it's expensive, but a lot of people think it's worth it, and that's all that really matters. I would personally never spend $500 for a topper, but I don't begrudge those that do. If it makes them happy, and they can afford it, then I say go for it.

Couldn't agree more. People complain about the price of a ColorDMD upgrade or the glass, but then spend more on other items.

Not to mention, you spend $7k+ on a new machine, then are going to gripe about $300 for glass?

#284 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

If you want a meaningful, practical test, have someone over that has no knowledge of your varies types of glass and let them just play unaware and if they don't take notice of it without prompting then it's probably not for them. Anything else carries some investment bias.
    I played at a friends house for an hour and never noticed that one of his machines had Invisiglass, so it is definitely not all things for all people.

My fiancé who doesn't play pinball or care one bit about it mentioned last night that it looks there is no glass on my Medieval Madness. She had no idea that i switched the glass to Roman's glass. The first time she saw it, she commented. I don't know of a better test available than someone who doesn't play pinball and noticed there was something different WITHOUT knowing I had changed the glass a few days ago.

#285 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Pinball is a hobby for many or the most of us... but it is business for a few as well.
    Please always remember that.

Pinball is fun and a hobby. This is what and how it should be.
    Roman

You make an awesome product and people are just bitching because that's what people do. I paid $300 and it's worth it. Obviously not all of those funds went to you, but I supported the pinball community and those involved. I believe your product is the best one available in the market and it made a noticeable difference on my game. I spent $8500 on a machine, i'm not going to complain about $300 for glass.

I'm sorry but 90% of this thread has just turned into people bitching about pricing or the glass not doing anything. It's purpose was to talk about Stern's new glass and compare it to the products available on the market.

I'm curious how it performs (Stern's glass), but unless it outperforms Roman's glass (regardless of price) then I could care less about it. I don't want a half-ass product at half the price. I want the best.

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I truly believe that $150 is the magic price point. Anyone who can provide a similar product for $150 or less is going to sell a ton of it.

Sure that's a nice price point. However there is design, manufacturing and distribution behind that. So if the product quality can't be kept the same, no thanks. Maybe if 10,000 sheets are manufactured at once, then the cost would go down, but then that's a lot of inventory sitting there and i doubt that many sheets even sells in 5 years, so it doesn't make sense to do that.

People complain about the pricing, then things get outsourced overseas and manufacturing in China, then we bitch about stuff not being made in the USA.

#288 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Sounds like they should charge $500 a sheet then for you

LOL, I don't know that i would have bought a sheet at that price without having seen it. Now that i own sheets and have seen what it does, I probably would consider it. However I don't know that i would have "paid to play" had the initial price been $500.

#291 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Maybe you missed the fact that they are selling the glass fine in Europe at $140 per sheet. And that the same glass is then transported to the US and sold for an additional $160 markup. No additional design or manufacturing - only distribution.

I didn't miss that, yup that sucks. However someone got the rights to distribute the product and pick their price. There is easily $50 or more to get that glass over to the US. It's not like these things are coming over in a container with 100's of other sheets.

#292 7 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Until it's in the hands for people to test what do you expect?

Guess I subscribed to see what the results and information were, information I figured would be interesting to learn, and see how it compared to what I already own.

Shame on me for expecting more, and yup i've contributed to the bitching now..

#299 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Hmmm? Would you feel the same way if a normal pinball machine cost $708 instead of $8500? Because that is the same price increase from regular glass to PDI glass ($25 to $300) or 12x.

I've bought a machine for $300 and I've bought one for $8000. What did a machine cost in the 70s? 80s? 90s? I don't think they are probably that crazy given inflation etc. You can get a new machine for somewhere in 6-8k depending on the machine etc. Compared to $2-$3k for a DMD that's nearly 20 years old, that doesn't seem that bad. Or $2000 on a machine that is 30-40 years old?

PDI is not regular glass, so you can't use that comparison (IMO). I don't think you can compare PDI/Invisi/Stern/whatever to normal glass, that's not apples to apples. Different products.

At the end of the day, everyone is complaining about the price. If it was $150 people would still complain it's too expensive.

I guarantee people are spending more money on other items. How much do you spend on a shaker? A topper? On mods? i guarantee some of the people in this thread complaining about the price the of glass have spend that money on other things that other people would find ridiculous. $300 for a topper? That's pointless, it doesn't do anything. $300 on mods? Do they change the gameplay in anyway? The list goes on and on...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=chrisnack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.