(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 7 years ago

i'm sure it works just as shitty as JJPs and PDI's.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Holy pessimist. I'll be positive . PDI looks notably better than Invisiglass to me (JJP). I want to know whether the Stern option looks as good as Invisiglass, or as good as PDI. That already is three possible outcomes. (is four possible? lol)

If the glass worked as it was designed and intended, I wouldnt' have a problem with it. Unfortunately it does not. Backglass and DMD glare is still there. In fact. I had someone over today. Told him I had invisiglass in one of my games. He couldn't even tell which one had it. Even said, there is no way he would have known any of my games had it if I didn't point it out. That's what a waste of money it is.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

In some spots, it's totally worth it. In others, not worth it at all. If there is no stray light in your game room, it doesn't have anything to do. However if there is a window, and a white ceiling, it really cuts down the extra glare and is very noticeable compared to games without it.

that's true, but when it was designed, it was designed to eliminate display and backglass glare. Thats what it's sole purpose was suppose to do. That's what it was advertised as doing. It failed on all those accounts, with a high price tag.

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You say this every single time the subject is brought up, and you are still dead wrong. Nobody ever claimed that the product eliminates ALL reflections or glare. It does however, greatly reduce them. This is a fact. I've had games that were almost unplayable because of backglass and other reflections, and PDI glass yielded a tremendous improvement.

bullshit. Remember when PDI was experimenting with it and developing it? on RGP? This is exactly the way it was advertised. "will Eliminate backglass and display glare". That was the sole purpose of it's development. Then after it didn't work as they intended, they started changing and downplaying it's ability to do it's job, yet keep the insane price.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from chrisnack:

I haven't seen it advertised that way, but maybe it was originally. Regarding pricing, it's a niche market and there isn't much for competition, so it's not that surprising. I've custom ordered glass from a local shop and it was about $70/sheet. I think $200 would be a sweet spot for the pricing and fair. $300 is what it is and there aren't any options at the moment.
    We'll see what the feedback is on the Stern stuff, if it's good and $60 cheaper, then that's good for the market and the community.

why don't you buy your glass from Terry? he's $25-30 a sheet.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

PDI wasn´t experimenting, we did and they were offering the product in the US. Period.
    When I advertised the product the first time (July 2008) in Germany (before you could find any posting about it on RGP) then I`ve provided the following pics
    http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=62539
    Here you (especially Neo) can see that there are still some DMD reflections but they`re greatly reduced.
    The thread title is: "I guarantee you an absolute new pinball quality". Did I lie ?

To understand and read the chart correctly you need to know how the human eye reacts to certain wavelengths.
    The chart below helps...
    Between 550 and 560 nanometres our eyes have the highest sensitivity. Invisiglass has >2% reflection and Roman/PDI has <0.5%. That been said you take a look at the chart above and you can see that the interesting wavespectrum is between 470nm and 670nm.
    It would be highly appreciated if Stern or JJP would post such information instead of using misleading marketing techniques.
    Btw. Heighway Pinball is using their own anti reflective glass with their games.

i'm talking about the development process when you guys were working on it. There was lots of talk about the expectations on how well it was going to perform and performance/price comparisons. Does it reduce the glare sure. but about 20% for backbox/display. Probably 75% for area room lighting. PDI is a little better than JJP's. Does it warrant a 1000% price point over standard glass. meh.

#138 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I don't know - I was the guy, and I will back up what he said. I had mentioned that it was interesting that Stern had just announced the Invisi-glass type stuff, and Neo said he didn't think it was worth it. I asked if he had ever seen it in real life, and he said that he had a sheet on a game right there - and he did, two games away from the one we were playing.
    If I would have been asked to make a guess before he pointed it out to me, I would have said the game beside it.
    For me at least, it made me decide that the upgrade isn't for me in the future. After playing on the game with it a little bit, I could notice a reduction in the amount of glare from the playfield, but the actual reduction was rather minimal. I think the best way to solve for high amounts of reflections is with a bent piece of plastic for your DMD on the game.
    Having said that, I'll gladly look at either PDI or the new Stern glass when I get a chance, but it fell very far down my "interested in" list...

and if it was say..double of normal glass. $60 a sheet or so. Sure. slight improvement over standard glass would be worth the double price. or close to it. But the huge cost over standard glass you have to start to weigh the cost over how much of an improvement it really is. People act like it's gods gift to glass, and that is just straight up misleading. in a brightly lit room or if it the machine was sitting in a supermarket or target, sure it's going to look impressive. But when you start looking at the actual things you need it for, the difference is slight.

#162 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Guess it depends on lots of factors but i ask anyone that comes by if they can spot a difference between the 2 brands in my house and so far no one has. Again i believe there is a difference but in my house it is not noticeable . I am very happy with both especially over standard glass ...plus i got all mine basically free when i bought out a collection so that helps alot lol.

how are people going to spot the difference between both brands, when people can't even spot the difference between anti glare glass and normal glass here?

#166 7 years ago

nope it's full JJP glass. My room is lit by a standard ceiling fan in the center of the room.

#175 7 years ago

I just state my points, because a lot of you guys talk it up so much, that other people that do not know better, will have extremely high expectations. And going in at the cost it is, should have the realization on what it does and does not do. For me, I was highly disappointed because it underperformed drastically. Especially with the price associated with it.

Dan is not a stranger to pinball. he is fully knows pinball inside and out. His show is the Midwest Gaming Classic. And if he has trouble telling the difference on a game standing practically right next to him. It's not just me that thinks you guys overblow this shit out of proportions.

#182 7 years ago

i wouldn't put a florescent directly above. Nobody should have lighting directly above machine. Have just normal ceiling lighting offset in the middle of the room. that's more realistic to what most people have in their gamerooms. That way you can see if there is really is that much of a difference with standard room lighting.

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

The easiest way for those who bought Stern´s glass first and who want to/should share their experience with the community first hand
    is, to put the glass on a table with another reference sheet and to hover between the two sheets like Namsan did (1:28) or myself.
    » YouTube video;
    » YouTube video
    There is no easier way without using sophisticated tools to show how the glass handles reflection.
    Good Luck

this doesn't show anything of what actually matters. Need to compare side by side with the games on and show the display and backglass regions. Then you see the difference on how much of the stuff that matters is blocked out.

#218 7 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Anybody think this picture from Stern is a little BS? Notice the marks on the floor. They either moved the machine.. or changed the angle of the picture to get the glare from the shop light off the glass.
    I mean.. you can still see the translight glare in both pictures. Yet the super bright shop light is magically 100% gone? Well except for the tiniest little part of the light still left.
    It's extremely deceptive..and borderline dishonest

that's what these anti glare glasses do. They are good at blocking out room lighting, but not that great at blocking out the shit that matters like DMD and backglass glare. That pic is pretty accurate to what anti glare glass actually does.

#248 7 years ago

I still like how they try to use overhead florescent lighting to prove the point. Nobody has that shit in their gameroom. And nobody certainly has it right above their games. Notice how there isn't any pics of the DMD and backbox glare? Irritates me, that the shit people should actually be concerned about, are never used in the promo pics.

#250 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They should use a picture where somebody clown puked the backbox with 50 high output LEDs.
    That way you would know that it can prevent reflections from the 6 primary LED colors......

and there are plenty of people who set up their shit exactly like that. So that would be a practical comparison for this group.

#255 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Maybe I should rethink the glass?

might want to block out that window. Those reds in BSD are pretty nice. Orbitor with the hood up? broken?

#295 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just came in here to see how fast Neo bitched aboot this type of glass. Post #96?!? Getting slow

I only really bitch about the price point. So either the performance has to drastically increase to meet it's current price point, or the cost has to drastically reduce to match it's performance level. Once those two are aligned. All will be well.

#297 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Even at $240 picked up it's a total Rip.

I got mine for $150,and I felt ripped off.

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

Ghostbusters LE
    1st picture is before and the 2nd is with new Stern glass.

this is a perfect example on how well JJP/PDI glass works in real life. really think the difference is way over the top like some people seem to spout out. This is a perfect picture of the differences. From players perspective, game on, like you would see it in a playing environment. Well done. now you can see why people at my house can't really tell.

glass comparison pic (resized).jpgglass comparison pic (resized).jpg

#396 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

And that's the main thing that bothers me when Neo keeps ripping on the glass. He's essentially calling anyone who bought it a chump. It's highly insulting.

again, I don't think anyone is a chump that buys it. I just try to inform the ones thinking about buying it, that it's not as perfect as some say. Thats' all. because I listened to the guys that said it's so perfect. eliminates everything, can't even tell it's there. all the same shit.

So hearing all this shit. I had high expectations. Figured that for the price, it must be perfect. Backbox glare and DMD glare...GONE. Awesome. $300 is steep but if it works, might be worth it for some games. Awesome. Can't wait. half price sale on JJP. Even better. Lets give it a shot......install it...... :/ I was pissed the fawk off. Now if there were real people saying real things it actually did. I could have made a more informed decision. So you need both sides of the fence. I try to be a realist and show the new people who don't know, what it actually does and how it actually performs. Not this fairtale shit some of these guys do. So others don't feel they have been ripped off like I did.

So I repeat myself often. Yup, just like the guys that talk it up. Not everyone reads every thread. and not every newb that is looking into buying it reads every thread. So when people talk it up, I say the other side of the spectrum, so the person reading can make an informed decision. If they think it works good enough to justify the $300 price tag. So be it. but at least they went in knowing the full story.

#427 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Neo! Did you ever try the PDI stuff, or did you just get Invisiglass and figured they were comparable? Because I sold my Invisiglass to get PDI...it was that much better for me. Not sure how BigD isn't seeing that in a side by side comparison. Non pinheads in my house could tell the difference between regular glass, Invisiglass, and PDI.

I just have the invisiglass and most people I talked to, said PDI isn't that much different.

As for previous discussions years ago. I can't remember, it was being talked about in numerous threads on RGP back in those days during the developmental process. There was more than one thread discussing it and the expectations of it. You expect me to remember who said what and when back in the day before PDI glass even existed. I know there was one thread where people were experimenting with polerized film over DMD's, and the anti glass was talked about there, as well as many other threads. Some started out talking about cost, some were about performance and expectations. Anyone that was following those threads back in the day, knows it was talked about as eliminating DMD and backglass glare. Nobody talked about ambient room lighting, because that wasn't something people gave a shit about.

And seeing this stuff at shows, is very misleading. When you have K-mart style lighting, it looks great. Because the move obvious bright lights are reduced and you focus on that. But when you get it home where that kind of stuff usually isn't a problem, that's when you notice the stuff that you have problems with at home are still there. I have seen PDI and Invisiglass at shows, and they look impressive there, but there you are focusing at the lack of huge florescent lights being gone, and not about the DMD and BG reflections.

#428 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

This is from a previous PDI not shipping thread..
    » YouTube video
    Pretty amazing. A secondary reason to spend the money...

think that's just regular glass. All the sheets look normal. I've seen this video years ago. It's just standard tempered pinball glass. just showing how strong it is and what it really can take. As long as nothing hot or cold touches it, or you ting the edges. Really good examples of what glass really can take. Set it down on edge on concrete and many times it just bursts because of temp changes.

#433 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I expect you to find evidence of the crap you are harping on. I can still find stupid things I said on usenet in 1994, surely you can back up what you are saying with a link to it. The internet never forgets. I don't expect you to remember who, I expect you to find who.
    And I wouldn't say it like that, except that you are a complete broken record and keep using what was "said" over and over. I'd suspect you are full of crap without actually pointing to the stuff you talk about over and over... and over... and over... and over... (and over...) and_over_.

but it's not worth my time to go through RGP and look at all the threads we've talked about. It would be like going through an encyclopedia looking for specific sentences, without knowing the pages or volumes they were on. You remember reading it and talking about it when it happened, but try and find it years later. Not going to happen. There are plenty of us from RGP that were on there. Anyone that cared about the antiglare glass when it was in the developmental process, knows how it was boasted about and what it was initially designed to accomplish.

#436 7 years ago

it was talked about before that. Discussed in depth, when it was being developed and worked on like the polerizing film. There are way more threads than that one talking about it.

#439 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

When was it ? Who told you about those fairytales about zero reflection in all conditions and viewing angles ?
    People talk a lot and if they can add value to the written word by providing additional information (links, pics, videos, references a.s.o) then their argumentation is worth considering and if not, it´s just hot air.
    For instance:

Who told you that the glass in the video is standard tempered pinball glass ?

the video looks like it. reflective as all shit.

As far as discussion, it was when people were talking about having it made. Through tests on sections they tested, they were hoping for all glare to be eliminated. Might not have been you. There was others trying to develop it , with the polerizing film.

#454 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

It´s not

I can go to bed now because I thought all the time you were blaming me for not providing facts.
    But how could you trust those who were hoping and trying to develop something and didn`t succeed ?

i'm not blaming. i'm just saying from following the initial design, ramped up expectations, which seemed to justify the price they said it would cost to make. When it didn't reach those expectations, those of us that heard about what it was suppose to do and failed, were highly disappointed. that's all i'm saying.

#508 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Another option to eliminate BB glare for pre-Spike Stern games is the LED panel with the auto-dimming feature (pretty cheap at $65 and gets rid of that lousy fluorescent tube), GI OCD could be used to do it for supported games as well but now you're back up to $150.

any game I have that has bulbs in the backbox. I pull out all of them except 6-8 of them. Space them out so I have even distribution of light. most people don't even know 80% of the bulbs are gone. For tube games, I get the LED panel, but modify it so you can dim both the color changing and the white. Reduce it down to about 10-20 % makes a world of difference.

#516 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The bent plastic is great stuff! Have had it on all my games.

same. Nobody knows it's there until you point it out.

#527 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

From the front you will likely hardly notice it. From the side this shows it:

whoa, does that look like shit. Better sell that game. With that gaudy piece of plastic on there. Stands out like a sore thumb.

notice: you probably should have circled it in red in photoshop because most people won't be able to see it in the pic.

#538 7 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Personally, I don't find the DMD reflection to be the primary issue for me - at least not on my machine. The reflection of the DMD doesn't obscure the playfield in anyway on my machine. The problem for me is the overhead can lighting in my room, my topper lighting and the backglass lighting.

guess it depends on how your gameroom is. For me, the DMD and backbox glare is the only glare I have. Room lighting is always in the center so it never gives me glare on my glass. The games themselves are the only issues, and reduced bulbs in the backbox and the $7 bent plastic cures that. couldn't be a cheaper resolution.

#549 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Nope. I drop my glare guard on to the back of the playfield at least half the times I remove the glass.

if you put a strip of scotch tape along the guard and the H channel, keeps it from falling off or dropping into the game when you pull the glass off.

#671 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I'm honestly starting to think that $7 bent plastic is a WAY better investment.

It always has been the best option. Better not only because it's 1000x's cheaper, but because it actually works.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.