(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.
    #301 7 years ago
    Quoted from chrisnack:

I've bought a machine for $300 and I've bought one for $8000. What did a machine cost in the 70s? 80s? 90s? I don't think they are probably that crazy given inflation etc. You can get a new machine for somewhere in 6-8k depending on the machine etc. Compared to $2-$3k for a DMD that's nearly 20 years old, that doesn't seem that bad. Or $2000 on a machine that is 30-40 years old?
    PDI is not regular glass, so you can't use that comparison (IMO). I don't think you can compare PDI/Invisi/Stern/whatever to normal glass, that's not apples to apples. Different products.
    At the end of the day, everyone is complaining about the price. If it was $150 people would still complain it's too expensive.
    I guarantee people are spending more money on other items. How much do you spend on a shaker? A topper? On mods? i guarantee some of the people in this thread complaining about the price the of glass have spend that money on other things that other people would find ridiculous. $300 for a topper? That's pointless, it doesn't do anything. $300 on mods? Do they change the gameplay in anyway? The list goes on and on...

So you're comparing a 70's $300 beat to hell EM to a $8500 2017 machine? While I'm comparing 2017 pinball glass to 2017 pinball glass. Yes one is technically better.....but 12 times better? For you that answer is yes....12x better. For me, no.....maybe 6x better.....maybe. I'd be even happier if it was only 3-4x better (or $75-$100).

#302 7 years ago

Can the people who want to fight about glass open another topic and stop commenting in this one? I keep on checking when I see new response b/c I actually want to hear if the stern glass is good or not. Unfortunately this has been almost 7 pages of nonsense jesus - we get it. Some people think it's worth it, some don't. Who cares. Let's hear about results people.

#303 7 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Can the people who want to fight about glass open another topic and stop commenting in this one? I keep on checking when I see new response b/c I actually want to hear if the stern glass is good or not. Unfortunately this has been almost 7 pages of nonsense jesus - we get it. Some people think it's worth it, some don't. Who cares. Let's hear about results people.

We're just shooting the shit until the reviews come in.

#304 7 years ago
    Quoted from chrisnack:

It's not like these things are coming over in a container with 100's of other sheets.

Eh... actually, that's exactly what it's like.

IMG_0169.PNGIMG_0169.PNG

#305 7 years ago

My glass is slated to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I'll get some pictures and first impression posted tomorrow evening. I have a BTTF, TSPP and GB. The TSPP probably has the worst glare issues.

#306 7 years ago

See sterns Facebook page for a video of the glass in action

#307 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deafcon:

My glass is slated to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I'll get some pictures and first impression posted tomorrow evening. I have a BTTF, TSPP and GB. The TSPP probably has the worst glare issues.

Awesome - can't wait to hear.

#308 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Eh... actually, that's exactly what it's like.

Holy crap! According to that document, he literally buys the stuff by the ton!

#309 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Holy crap! According to that document, he literally buys the stuff by the ton!

Yup - so much for hoping for a good price because the seller bought by the ton. Guess with no competition you just ask for the highest price you can I guess you DO have to store it in the meantime, etc.

#312 7 years ago

That video alone is making me want to buy one. Wow - literally looks like nothing is there. It's the same machine i would use it on too.

239 shipped? or shipping on top?

#313 7 years ago

Looks good.... from the right side of the game. Would have been far better to have walked around the front of the pin to show a truer impression of the glass from all angles.

#315 7 years ago

What's interesting in that video is that the ball gets rejected from the right orbit at about the 25 second mark. It's kind of comforting to know that even in Stern's own videos that problem exists.

#316 7 years ago

It's $239 plus shipping.

$49 based on our zip code

Does PDI at $300 include shipping?

#317 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No

#318 7 years ago

damn still close to 300 bucks....for glass. damn. But it looks great. Will need to hear some feedback. Nintendo switch = glass for pinball. It just seems nuts.

#319 7 years ago

Well I'm gonna put an order in and try it out

#320 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well I'm gonna put an order in and try it out

IMG_0076 (resized).PNGIMG_0076 (resized).PNG

#321 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It's $239 plus shipping.

You can change the shipping method - it defaulted to $43 USPS Priority Mail when I started checkout and I was able to change it to $25 UPS Ground (this is for 1 sheet shipping to MA). Made me come very, very close to pulling the trigger...

#322 7 years ago

Let me know when it hits $150 shipped.

#323 7 years ago

Is the plan for stern to put that glass on all new premium/LE's?

#324 7 years ago
    Quoted from Number41:

You can change the shipping method - it defaulted to $43 USPS Priority Mail when I started checkout and I was able to change it to $25 UPS Ground (this is for 1 sheet shipping to MA). Made me come very, very close to pulling the trigger...

so 239+25 = 264 total? I might be in for that.

#325 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Why would they put it on when everyone is excited aboot paying for it?

#326 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

I'm sure they would be happy to add it on for an extra $239

#327 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It's $239 plus shipping.

Or no shipping at TPF.

#328 7 years ago

Just picked up a piece of new Stern glass yesterday while we were at Nationals in Dallas.
    The UPS truck drove up with 12 boxes and they opened one and installed it. I did not take a before photo. (Sorry) but here is one I took with the new glass installed.
    It was enough of a difference to get me to take a sheet home with no tax or shipping. Just a flat $239
    I will get it installed later today.

IMG_3533 (resized).JPGIMG_3533 (resized).JPG

IMG_3538 (resized).JPGIMG_3538 (resized).JPG

#329 7 years ago

Need some real life feedback on this glass, I can take pictures/videos of all my games all day with JJP and PDI glass on it and it all looks phenomenal in pictures. Some of the smaller differences you can only see on certain games or in different lighting situations. End of the day I never cared much about the science and BS about the glass differences, a lot thought PDI looked better, I still don't ever see much difference between me JJP and PDI. For me end of day I got it when it was cheaper or there were sales on them. Price is king on this glass for me, I will buy the cheaper option if it works like the others. It's an expensive add on but one I love on my games!

#330 7 years ago

In that last pic the translite is still pretty easy to see in the reflection. It's probably much better, but I'm starting to understand Neo's insistence that it's not "good enough" to charge what they do for all these sheets of glass (Stern or otherwise).

#331 7 years ago

much like LED OCD, this is a product that is really hard to convey the value of through pictures. i love PDI/Invisiglass, they're great products, and both are far more invisible than normal glass.

i'm interested not so much in photos or videos, but what people who possess the new Stern glass think, particularly how it compares to PDI/Invisiglass (the difference between the two is overstated).

#332 7 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

Need some real life feedback on this glass, I can take pictures/videos of all my games all day with JJP and PDI glass on it and it all looks phenomenal in pictures. Some of the smaller differences you can only see on certain games or in different lighting situations. End of the day I never cared much about the science and BS about the glass differences, a lot thought PDI looked better, I still don't ever see much difference between me JJP and PDI. For me end of day I got it when it was cheaper or there were sales on them. Price is king on this glass for me, I will buy the cheaper option if it works like the others. It's an expensive add on but one I love on my games!

Agreed.. have both and am very happy..

#333 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

much like LED OCD, this is a product that is really hard to convey the value of through pictures. i love PDI/Invisiglass, they're great products, and both are far more invisible than normal glass.
    i'm interested not so much in photos or videos, but what people who possess the new Stern glass think, particularly how it compares to PDI/Invisiglass (the difference between the two is overstated).

Nail on the head!!! PDI is superior, but my WOZ came w invisiglass, and I couldn't justify $$$ switching it out. I have 2 machines in need, and would just prefer an honest opinion from someone who has PDI as to how the Stern compares. Competition is a GOOD thing!!!

#334 7 years ago

Pinball News conducted two tests back in 2013 comparing standard glass vs Invisiglass vs PDI glass. I thought this was an informative review for those who are interested. Hopefully they can conduct a new test using Stern's new anti-reflective glass.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html

Of course the downside is that it's expensive and you have to be careful with what you use to clean it.

#335 7 years ago

INJUST PICKED 14 of these...now its time to get to work...i will put the existing glass in the boxes and keep for those that might some of the stock glass at a real cheap price. Will sell real cheap during our "Pinside Open House" which I think will be in August.

Will post some before and after photos soon.

20170317_181959 (resized).jpg20170317_181959 (resized).jpg

20170317_182006 (resized).jpg20170317_182006 (resized).jpg

#336 7 years ago

nice!! interested to see/read about the diff if any. In their video it looks nice

#337 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

so please don`t blame Joey for this.

Not that he doesn't create a lot of blame by selling ceramic decorative toilet paper holders as 500$ toppers... literally a crock of s--t!

I won't ever buy YOUR product, because I don't like the company selling it, so something to think about there. The one time I bought any of this stuff I went in on a 3-for-2 Invisiglass deal with someone else. I'd be willing to do that again, or take a look at this new Stern glass before I'll willingly spend a single cent on anything from PDI given any kind of choice.

#338 7 years ago

make sure to take a before/after pic!

#339 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

make sure to take a before/after pic!

From the exact same spot or you'll be crucified here.

#340 7 years ago

Ghostbusters LE

1st picture is before and the 2nd is with new Stern glass.

20170317_183152 (resized).jpg20170317_183152 (resized).jpg

20170317_183926 (resized).jpg20170317_183926 (resized).jpg

#341 7 years ago

Thanks for posting. It really doesn't look much better?

#342 7 years ago

Advatar LE

Here are before and after photos

20170317_184205 (resized).jpg20170317_184205 (resized).jpg

20170317_184356 (resized).jpg20170317_184356 (resized).jpg

#343 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Thanks for posting. It really doesn't look much better?

Not really imo either.

#344 7 years ago

Heres my invisaglass..... 20161008_114028 (resized).jpg20161008_114028 (resized).jpg20161008_114151 (resized).jpg20161008_114151 (resized).jpg

#345 7 years ago

Bummer. A true test would be same pin, same location with PDI then Invisiglass... I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. It certainly does look -better-

#346 7 years ago

Okay guys ...and gals....Here is my take on the glass and trust me...I bought 14 sheets and have installed them on 5 games now. I invested over 3,000.00

SO....HERE IS MY HONEST OPINION.

If you looking for the glare to go away around the speakers for those that have the lights mods or the reflection off the DMD's....there is not much difference if hardly any....

But....

I will say the the glass is like so clear towards the bottom...it is like i can reach my hard right thru there and touch the playfield. It is just as u move your eyes up towards the box...there is not much difference.

I think for the price it is good and worth the 239.00 and I dont know if JJP glass would be any better.

I just wish that is did not have the reflection coming off the box still and with that...I am a bit upset about that portion and was looking for better results on that part of the glass.

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

Okay guys ...and gals....Here is my take on the glass and trust me...I bought 14 sheets and have installed them on 5 games now. I invested over 3,000.00
    SO....HERE IS MY HONEST OPINION.
    If you looking for the glare to go away around the speakers for those that have the lights mods or the reflection off the DMD's....there is not much difference if hardly any....
    But....
    I will say the the glass is like so clear towards the bottom...it is like i can reach my hard right thru there and touch the playfield. It is just as u move your eyes up towards the box...there is not much difference.
    I think for the price it is good and worth the 239.00 and I dont know if JJP glass would be any better.
    I am happy with it...I just wish that is did not have the reflection coming off the box still and with that...I am a bit upset about that portion and was looking for better results on that part of the glass.

Do you have PDI to compare it to? I had Invisiglass and sold it to get PDI...there was that much of a difference under direct lighting. I'd be surprised if the Stern stuff is better.

#348 7 years ago

My glass arrived today. I tried it in TSPP, BG and Back to the future. I left it in Ghostbusters. It doesn't it eliminate dmd or backbox reflection. It does reduce it. It does look far more clear than regular glass. I had 4 people over that aren't pinball people and they agreed it was almost like there was no glass in some areas. Is it worth $240? Probably not, but I'm still going to buy 3 more sheets for my other games.

#349 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deafcon:

My glass arrived today. I tried it in TSPP, BG and Back to the future. I left it in Ghostbusters. It doesn't it eliminate dmd or backbox reflection. It does reduce it. It does look far more clear than regular glass. I had 4 people over that aren't pinball people and they agreed it was almost like there was no glass in some areas. Is it worth $240? Probably not, but I'm still going to buy 3 more sheets for my other games.

I like that part...is it worth it? PROBABLY NOT...but buying 3 more...lol....funny.

#350 7 years ago

When you're taking test photos, try to mimic the lighting conditions on them. Attract mode is less predictable than a game play condition, say player one, ball one, ball in shooter lane.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.