(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
    #201 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I keep my game rooms pretty dark, so I've not been too concerned by much glare, but I'd like to get a sheet for Ghostbusters if it's up to par with other anti-glare glass. I don't see myself putting it on all my games, but a few could really benefit from it more than others.
    Even if it's not quite as good as PDI glass, it just needs to be in the same ballpark as Invisiglass for the price they're asking.

Ghostbusters benefits greatly from PDI glass. I just put a sheet on it a few days ago and it's a pretty massive difference. Lots of glare from how Slimer is lit and the light show in general with normal glass in my basement. That's with the lights out also. The rear of the playfield is much easier to see since the backbox glare is almost eliminated.

#202 7 years ago

Anybody think this picture from Stern is a little BS? Notice the marks on the floor. They either moved the machine.. or changed the angle of the picture to get the glare from the shop light off the glass.

I mean.. you can still see the translight glare in both pictures. Yet the super bright shop light is magically 100% gone? Well except for the tiniest little part of the light still left.

It's extremely deceptive..and borderline dishonest

17201144_10206141841304037_4669060990421590004_n (resized).jpg17201144_10206141841304037_4669060990421590004_n (resized).jpg

#203 7 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Anybody think this picture from Stern is a little BS? Notice the marks on the floor. They either moved the machine.. or changed the angle of the picture to get the glare from the shop light off the glass.
    I mean.. you can still see the translight glare in both pictures. Yet the super bright shop light is magically 100% gone? Well except for the tiniest little part of the light still left.

Well changing glass is a time consuming and difficult process. I would expect they had to change the lighting and move the game because they were not able to see the edge of the glass to slide it into the channel.

#204 7 years ago

I don't think the pin has moved the camera angle is slightly different, almost like the cameraman has taken a half step to the left to avoid that overhead light. Something is certainly not the same about both photos, good eyes Monster_Bash

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well changing glass is a time consuming and difficult process. I would expect they had to change the lighting and move the game because they were not able to see the edge of the glass to slide it into the channel.

It if simple to remove the glass they had to move the tripod

#206 7 years ago

I noticed that and also how conveniently the picture is taken so you cannot see the DMD display. Stern doesn't care about quality and I would expect this glass to perform worse then pdi and invisiglass.

#207 7 years ago

I guessing it will probably be on par with the other stuff available. But to pull that shit in an advertisement tells you A LOT about a company.

Quoted from BoJo:

I noticed that and also how conveniently the picture is taken so you cannot see the DMD display. Stern doesn't care about quality and I would expect this glass to preform worse then pdi and invisiglass.

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Guess they couldn't just put the tripod back in the same spot at the same angle?

#209 7 years ago

Yeah, that picture is bulls**t. Even PDI glass doesn't completely eliminate the direct reflection of a bright light shining on it. I don't even think that's possible.

#210 7 years ago

That's actually why I started looking.

Quoted from gweempose:

Yeah, that picture is bulls**t. Even PDI glass doesn't completely eliminate the direct reflection of a bright light shining on it. I don't even think that's possible.

#211 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If the glass worked as it was designed and intended, I wouldnt' have a problem with it. Unfortunately it does not. Backglass and DMD glare is still there. In fact. I had someone over today. Told him I had invisiglass in one of my games. He couldn't even tell which one had it. Even said, there is no way he would have known any of my games had it if I didn't point it out. That's what a waste of money it is.

Unfortunately I am too cheap to buy any invisiglass/pdi ect although I would loooove to have some. I will say though that if anyone is having trouble with DMD glare even on invisiglass, check out the DMD anti-glare covers that comet pinball sells. They are under 20 bucks and they work great! I run them on all my DMD machines. It does darken the DMD slightly but its a non-issue. It doesn't help with the backbox reflections but its a huge improvement. Highly recommended for anyone who's annoyed by DMD glare like I am

#212 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

You really are in love with Stern.

These Stern pictures do not matter. What will matter is consumer comparisons with Invisiglass and PDI. If those comparisons show Stern's glass to be the same then Stern has something because of their 20% reduction in price.

#213 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this doesn't show anything of what actually matters. Need to compare side by side with the games on and show the display and backglass regions. Then you see the difference on how much of the stuff that matters is blocked out.

It's important to remember too that not everybody's eyes are the same - some people can see the reflections on standard glass more prominently because their eyes are more sensitive to refraction... this was a big deal back in the days of DLP Tvs for sort of a similar reason.

Bizarrely, camera tests don't effectively show what our eyes do - they are more scientific but show what the camera sees - not what my eyes see, not what your eyes see.

Anyway this is one of the reasons why the difference isn't as dramatic for some - standard glass already looks pretty good. To those with more sensitive eyes, the no-reflect glass is a revelation because it makes you more aware of what you're seeing when you go back to standard glass.

Oh god, this is sort of like the audiophile thing. Anybody ever seen Rashomon? 5 pairs of eyes see 5 different versions of events

#214 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

You do realize that would invalidate the picture immediately, right? Heck, why not just wait until it is dark out and shut off the lights. Overall a very lame effort at showing how the glass behaves, and bordering on a lie about it. Oh skip it, it IS lying about it. It is not only showing nothing of use to potential customers, but making them even more suspicious about the product.

#215 7 years ago

This topic is more entertaining than the Stern bad play field thread. I am hoping Stern's glass offers a cheaper alternative to PDI and Invisiglass. I am sure when someone finally gets one and does a review, people will still argue over what the pics show and interpretation by the person doing the review.

I am going to get my popcorn ready. Enjoy the show.

#216 7 years ago

Well, except for the blatant repositioning to (almost) eliminate the overhead light, the "After" picture looks worse to me than the "Before".

What a horrible (and incredibly ineffective) ad.

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well changing glass is a time consuming and difficult process.

For anyone interested, I offer this as an in-home service locally. Most changes can be completed in one visit.

#218 7 years ago

that's what these anti glare glasses do. They are good at blocking out room lighting, but not that great at blocking out the shit that matters like DMD and backglass glare. That pic is pretty accurate to what anti glare glass actually does.

#219 7 years ago

ROMAN GLASS from Germany is the best

all others are better then the original but not the best you can get

the Stern price is to high

#220 7 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

the Stern price is to high

How can you ascertain that the price is too high before any of us even know what the glass can do?

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Well, except for the blatant repositioning to (almost) eliminate the overhead light, the "After" picture looks worse to me than the "Before".
    What a horrible (and incredibly ineffective) ad.

Describes most of Stern's 'marketing' efforts.

#222 7 years ago

Let's all take a deep breath and wait until we install in our pins. I'll have mine in a few days and will happily take pics from any and all angles as accurately as possible. I have standard, Invisaglass, and the Stern AR glass to do an honest comparison. I have can lighting directly overhead as well.

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Let's all take a deep breath and wait until we install in our pins. I'll have mine in a few days and will happily take pics from any and all angles as accurately as possible. I have standard, Invisaglass, and the Stern AR glass to do an honest comparison. I have can lighting directly overhead as well.

That sounds reasonable to me.

#224 7 years ago

Why should anyone (in Europe) buy this overpriced piece of glass, if there is for 100$ less a nearly perfect product available?
    only if Stern change the sizes of their cabinets, this will makes sense.

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Why should anyone (in Europe) buy this overpriced piece of glass, if there is for 100$ less a nearly perfect product available?
    only if Stern change the sizes of their cabinets, this will makes sense.

Those in Europe already have a cheap option. For those in the US this could be a 20% price reduction if the product is as good as Invisiglass.

#226 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Those in Europe already have a cheap option. For those in the US this could be a 20% price reduction if the product is as good as Invisiglass.

Technically you should have the same price options in the US since JJP is offering his Invisiglass and
    Stern has started their marketing campain with HD Glass.
    I can see a really interesting marketing phenomenon here.
    Have you ever thought about how it can be that JJP`s Invisiglass is more than $130 cheaper in Germany than in the US ?
    But it`s made in the US...

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

These Stern pictures do not matter. What will matter is consumer comparisons with Invisiglass and PDI. If those comparisons show Stern's glass to be the same then Stern has something because of their 20% reduction in price.

There are Stern conspiracy theorist out there

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Technically you should have the same price options in the US since JJP is offering his Invisiglass and
    Stern has started their marketing campain with HD Glass.
    I can see a really interesting marketing phenomenon here.
    Have you ever thought about how it can be that JJP`s Invisiglass is more than $130 cheaper in Germany than in the US ?
    But it`s made in the US...

What is the price for Invisiglass and Roman/PDI in Germany?

#229 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

There are Stern conspiracy theorist out there

How is what I wrote about Stern's price being 20% cheaper than Invisiglass a conspiracy theory? We do still need to see how it functions. Actual comparisons will be what matters. I am hoping it is the same as PDI in functionality and if it at least does equally what Invisiglass does then Stern has set a price that will be hard to pass up for those needing/wanting anti-glare glass.

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

How is what I wrote about Stern's price being 20% cheaper than Invisiglass a conspiracy theory? We do still need to see how it functions. Actual comparisons will be what matters. I am hoping it is the same as PDI in functionality and if it at least does equally what Invisiglass does then Stern has set a price that will be hard to pass up for those needing/wanting anti-glare glass.

It was not you but you commented on my post on the conspiracy theorist post as for Stern fan I am not buying any of the three glass manufacturers

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It was not you but you commented on my post on the conspiracy theorist post as for Stern fan I am not buying any of the three glass manufacturers

The point is you always seem to jump in and defend and up-talk Stern. You give off a vibe that you have something personal to defend.

#232 7 years ago

The image release is a poor representation since it's taken at a different angle. We can't know that they did that on purpose, but it's sloppy and careless at best. At worst, it's intentionally deceptive (though I actually think were just careless).

This is the kind of thing you can't do with a product launch though. You have to be very careful. You need to have all relevant info ready at launch and any product shoots should be VERY carefully executed. These aren't new concepts in marketing and customer communication. These are the basic concepts of product launching. First impressions and immediate follow-up communication are hugely important, and Stern regularly trips up on both aspects.

While there's probably no conspiracy, it's just crazy that the door has been left open to question it.

#233 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The point is you always seem to jump in and defend and up-talk Stern. You give off a vibe that you have something personal to defend.

Or the point is people jump in and bash Stern before the product is even out

#234 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

This is Pinside.

1000s of post of bitching before a product has even been seen.

#235 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The image release is a poor representation since it's taken at a different angle. We can't know that they did that on purpose, but it's sloppy and careless at best. At worst, it's intentionally deceptive (though I actually think were just careless).
    This is the kind of thing you can't do with a product launch though. You have to be very careful. You need to have all relevant info ready at launch and any product shoots should be VERY carefully executed. These aren't new concepts in marketing and customer communication. These are the basic concepts of product launching. First impressions and immediate follow-up communication are hugely important, and Stern regularly trips up on both aspects.
    While there's probably no conspiracy, it's just crazy that the door has been left open to question it.

I partly agree with you I think they took two quick photos take pic move tripod replace glass put tripod in front of game take pic. I don't think they thought to mark the floor to make sure tripod was exact same spot

#236 7 years ago

Posting for further conversation, here is the original JJP promotional image:

65 (resized).jpg65 (resized).jpg

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Posting for further conversation, here is the original JJP promotional image:

LOL if you look close you will see photos not taken from same spot what are they hiding

#238 7 years ago

You guys obviously didn't read the fine print: "Photos taken from a different angle with a different camera, lens, filter, shutter speed and exposure ..."

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL if you look close you will see photos not taken from same spot what are they hiding

They sure did a hell of a lot better than Stern did to legitimately show off their product.

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They sure did a hell of a lot better than Stern did to legitimately show off their product.

From what I hear PDI is the better glass so I would say it is less honest

#241 7 years ago

Or how about their incredibly dishonest pictures? Anyone that has Invisaglass and PDI know that it doesn't remove 100% of the glare.

We'll unless you move the machine..or change the angle

Quoted from JY64:

#242 7 years ago

I have 4 sheets of p.d.i. glass,and this new one from Stern should be here today! I'll tell you if there is any noticable difference!

#243 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I have 4 sheets of p.d.i. glass,and this new one from Stern should be here today! I'll tell you if there is any noticable difference!

Put the Stern glass between 2 machines with the PDI and let the battle begin!

(video please)

#244 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Put the Stern glass between 2 machines with the PDI and let the battle begin!
    (video please)

+1

Thank you in advance hawkmoon

#245 7 years ago

Hey hawkmoon I still didnt get my GB prem yet. End of the month fingers crossed.

#246 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Will that be before or after 4:20?

#247 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

What is the price for Invisiglass and Roman/PDI in Germany?

Invisiglass pricing in Germany(Europe) can be found here:
    http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?n=40&s=490&e=50&m=&p=1&o=1&guid=&l=1&q=&lang=e&lnge=1

Roman/PDI pricing can be found here:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html

Please consider that both links show pricing including VAT (local sales tax) which is 19% in Germany

The reflection from the game title (Walking Dead) is not as rich and bright as on the left pic, so I`d say that there is a noticable improvement in comparison to a regular sheet.
    The light conditions in Stern`s new factory are good (a lot of artificial light everywhere).
    Considering this as given my next thought is that in darker spots the reflections will increase (Neo your call).

I can image that Stern`s new glass might be somewhere at a reflective rate close to 1% and
    I`m curious to see the first test results and impressions.

#248 7 years ago

I still like how they try to use overhead florescent lighting to prove the point. Nobody has that shit in their gameroom. And nobody certainly has it right above their games. Notice how there isn't any pics of the DMD and backbox glare? Irritates me, that the shit people should actually be concerned about, are never used in the promo pics.

#249 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

are never used in the promo pics.

They should use a picture where somebody clown puked the backbox with 50 high output LEDs.

That way you would know that it can prevent reflections from the 6 primary LED colors......

#250 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They should use a picture where somebody clown puked the backbox with 50 high output LEDs.
    That way you would know that it can prevent reflections from the 6 primary LED colors......

and there are plenty of people who set up their shit exactly like that. So that would be a practical comparison for this group.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.