(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.
    #801 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

How do you know if your glass is the stern invisiglass? My used Iron Maiden LE I bought I’m not sure if it’s the good glass or it’s been swapped. How could I tell?

Honestly, the best way to tell is put in a regular piece of glass and compare them. The reflections will be more subtle but they are still there. I’ve also read that the Stern glass is only coated on one side so you have to make sure the protected side is face up.

#802 5 years ago

I’m assuming side up is the made in USA sticker face up. Yeah there is still reflection as I would have assummed anyway. Just curious. It does look really good however I don’t have great glass in most of my games so this would be a improvement regardless

#803 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

I’m assuming side up is the made in USA sticker face up. Yeah there is still reflection as I would have assummed anyway. Just curious. It does look really good however I don’t have great glass in most of my games so this would be a improvement regardless

I've noticed that HD glass is much smoother/easier to wipe down with sparkle etc and a micro cloth... presume from the coating. With standard, when you're buffing off the cleaner, the cloth doesn't glide around nearly as easily. You can also shine a phone flashlight over it and the light will be white on standard and some shade of blue/green/magenta on the HD glass. Color kinda varies depending on who makes it.

#804 5 years ago

I think until I see another sheet I won’t know for sure. This glass shows white from a cell phone flashlight. I’m not seeing the colors

#805 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

How do you know if your glass is the stern invisiglass? My used Iron Maiden LE I bought I’m not sure if it’s the good glass or it’s been swapped. How could I tell?

Looking at Stern Invisiglass with the pin off and the room lights on it will have a purplish hue to it if you look at it from an angle, very similar to eyeglasses that have anti-glare coatings applied to them.

#806 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Shine a light on it and look at the reflection. Non-glare glass will look much different than regular glass.

3 months later
    #807 5 years ago

Iron Maiden still rocks at my place

Maiden deserved nice clean with Novus 1 and a new sheet of PDI

I put the HD from Maiden on AC/DC and it looks great ! Simply kills the standard glass.

METLE had PDI from day one, Just stunning !

Second to color DMD, PDI is the best enhancement for pinball.

Stern HD is excellent as well.
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg20190419_083554 (resized).jpg

#808 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Iron Maiden still rocks at my place
    Maiden deserved nice clean and a new sheet of PDI
    I put the HD on AC/DC and it looks great ! Simply kills the standard glass.
    METLE had PDI from day 1, Second to color DMD, PDI is the best enhancement for pinball.
    Stern HD is excellent as well.[quoted image]

Right you are...Nice music pin row!!!

#809 5 years ago

JJP has no interest in discounts on bulk orders. Stern glass was a third cheaper if I picked it up from a localish distributor. At four sheets to buy at once for my own use, it was a no brainer to try.

So far I’m pretty happy with the Stern glass and would buy it again.

#810 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

JJP has no interest in discounts on bulk orders. Stern glass was a third cheaper if I picked it up from a localish distributor. At four sheets to buy at once for my own use, it was a no brainer to try.
    So far I’m pretty happy with the Stern glass and would buy it again.

JJP invisiglass is inferior to both PDI (1st) and Stern (2nd). PDI never discounts to my knowledge, except shipping ( which is expensive) . I believe Joey worked a deal w someone to sell at shows to save the shipping, but that's about it.

#811 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

JJP invisiglass is inferior to both PDI (1st) and Stern (2nd). PDI never discounts to my knowledge, except shipping ( which is expensive) . I believe Joey worked a deal w someone to sell at shows to save the shipping, but that's about it.

Interesting - I have 2 JJP and 1 Stern - like them both pretty much the same - but going to try and PDI glass next.

#812 5 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

Interesting - I have 2 JJP and 1 Stern - like them both pretty much the same - but going to try and PDI glass next.

Stern is close to PDI in performance and costs less. JJP just doesn't have the same type of etching/ coating..better than stock, but not PDI. Is what it is.

PDI has the best treatment, extreme quality finish on edges, and simply looks the best (except the price tag). All based on my eyes of course, but can definitely see the difference. There are several threads on this stuff, and you can go to the PDI site for detailed info/ comparison.

#813 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Stern is close to PDI in performance and costs less. JJP just doesn't have the same type of etching/ coating..better than stock, but not PDI. Is what it is.
    PDI has the best treatment, extreme quality finish on edges, and simply looks the best (except the price tag). All based on my eyes of course, but can definitely see the difference. There are several threads on this stuff, and you can go to the PDI site for detailed info/ comparison.

Thanks for the tip and info. My 1st JJP came with DI and had a couple marks that never came out. I ordered the other JJP one just b/c Gary (GREAT distro (Abel Electronics)) is right across the street and I needed a sheet for my scratched to fk TZ glass. The glass on my Munsters LE is awesome - my other distro (Nick - Big Toys) said looks like there is no glass on game.

I won some good coins on one of my March Madness pools so will get a PDI piece to try

#814 5 years ago

Anyone try Magic Glass that American Pinball is selling?

#815 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Right you are...Nice music pin row!!!

Thanks

#816 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Anyone try Magic Glass that American Pinball is selling?

Yes,I had that on my Houdini!! I traded my Houdini for a RZ Spook Show and kept the Magic glass for the RZ!! Its very nice,but P.D.I.glass just seems better!!

#817 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Yes,I had that on my Houdini!! I traded my Houdini for a RZ Spook Show and kept the Magic glass for the RZ!! Its very nice,but P.D.I.glass just seems better!!

Basically (3x) opinion groups on this:

a) Plain glass is fine - can't see any difference
    b) PDI is the noticeably better(best) of the versions, but too expensive. Still a must have because I really like it.
    c) Any treated glass is noticeably better, but not worth the cost...not (or maybe) buying it...

I'm in category "b)". My eyesight (which has never been amazing) has really tuned in to the optic clarity that PDI achieves. Best Mod nobody appreciates or "sees", until they reach for items on PF, realizing then that there is glass there.

#818 5 years ago

Just put Stern's HD glass in my Munsters Premium. It is a big improvement. 1st picture is with the standard glass 2nd is HD glass.

Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #819 5 years ago

Game powered up with the lights on in the room. 1st one standard 2nd one HD

Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg

#820 5 years ago

Game powered up with the lights off in the room. 1st one standard. 2nd one HD

Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg

#821 5 years ago

Have stern, pdi and invisaglass and all are great and work about the same for me but pdi has some nice smooth rounded edges.

#822 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

.IV is made in the USA by JJP and its usually available.

IV is not made by JJP. It's made by Decor Glass Specialties at their Chicago area plant. The sales office moved from Chicago to a small town in North Carolina aboot seven years ago when the owner wanted to get away from Chicago traffic & weather.

They supplied the glass that helped keep JJP healthy when machines were not shipping. Recall those discounts of 2 for 1 etc....

They did a lot of standard glass business with Bally (the real Bally), Midway, Williams etc. many years ago as well.
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNGDecor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNGDecor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNGDecor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG

#823 5 years ago

I have all three and rank them as follows:

1. PDI - by far the best. People occasionally try to reach into the machine it's so good. Nice rounded edging.

2. JJP - Quite good. Little more glare than PDI. Machined edging but not rounded.

3. Stern - Still good, but slightly more glare than JJP. Very sharp edging. Makes it hard to slide into the machine, and you could cut yourself on it if not careful.

They are all good, but if you can get your hands on PDI, man, you will notice the difference. The other two are pretty close to one another, but JJP edges out Stern.

#824 5 years ago

It's great to read the comparisons, but wanted to add another aspect to glare.

For my video projects I use costly cine lenses and glass filters/polarizers (where a 4" by 4" piece if glass costs well over $200) I am highly attuned to glare.

On location, I have definitely noticed a difference between JJP non glare and regular glass, and planned to get some for my TAF.

However before I did that, I ordered a Pinstadium since TAF is a rather dark machine.

With the lighting on, I was shocked how much glare went away because there was now more light exiting from inside the machine then entering.

It was such a reduction I no longer wanted new glass, and at some angles even my old regular glass seems to disappear.

This is on a color DMD machine, and not one with a huge bright LCD, which is bound to produce more glare.

So I would say on an older darker machine consider lighting before glass.

Has anyone tried using a polarizing filter on a large LCD? That may be enough to knock down reflections, but limit viewing angle of LCD.

#825 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

It's great to read the comparisons, but wanted to add another aspect to glare.
    For my video projects I use costly cine lenses and glass filters/polarizers (where a 4" by 4" piece if glass costs well over $200) I am highly attuned to glare.
    On location, I have definitely noticed a difference between JJP non glare and regular glass, and planned to get some for my TAF.
    However before I did that, I ordered a Pinstadium since TAF is a rather dark machine.
    With the lighting on, I was shocked how much glare went away because there was now more light exiting from inside the machine then entering.
    It was such a reduction I no longer wanted new glass, and at some angles even my old regular glass seems to disappear.
    This is on a color DMD machine, and not one with a huge bright LCD, which is bound to produce more glare.
    So I would say on an older darker machine consider lighting before glass.
    Has anyone tried using a polarizing filter on a large LCD? That may be enough to knock down reflections, but limit viewing angle of LCD.

If you like the look of pinstadium, that's great. I'm surprised by your assessment, considering you work with lenses and lighting. Contrast in lighting is just as important in pinball imho. Pinstadium is the equivalent of sitcom lighting, except it also has the awful zebra reflections. It's almost as bad as clown puke GI. It does take care of glare though...

#826 5 years ago

it's too late for this year, but there is the possibility that I might be able to offer roman's glass (known under the 'PDI glass' name here in the states) at next year's VFW show

the issue is that I would need to bring in a gaylord of the glass (150 sheets) and would prefer to have 80-90% of it spoken for by people so that I'm not sitting on a ton of glass (no pun intended. the glass would be packaged in a quad walled cardboard box and wrapped in kraft silk paper to prevent it from being scratched

this would be a one time offer and pricing will not be posted

#827 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

it's too late for this year, but there is the possibility that I might be able to offer roman's glass (known under the 'PDI glass' name here in the states) at next year's VFW show
    the issue is that I would need to bring in a gaylord of the glass (150 sheets) and would prefer to have 80-90% of it spoken for by people so that I'm not sitting on a ton of glass (no pun intended. the glass would be packaged in a quad walled cardboard box and wrapped in kraft silk paper to prevent it from being scratched

Please get a restraining order on The Law to stay at least 500' away from your Gaylord of glass.

#828 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Pinstadium is the equivalent of sitcom lighting, except it also has the awful zebra reflections. It's almost as bad as clown puke GI. It does take care of glare though...

Set to a warm color temperature and almost the very lowest light level, to my eye it's a big improvement over a dark game (probably not ideal for a modern game with better lighting)
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpegE14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg

#829 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

IV is not made by JJP. It's made by Decor Glass Specialties at their Chicago area plant. The sales office moved from Chicago to a small town in North Carolina aboot seven years ago when the owner wanted to get away from Chicago traffic & weather.
    They supplied the glass that helped keep JJP healthy when machines were not shipping. Recall those discounts of 2 for 1 etc....
    They did a lot of standard glass business with Bally (the real Bally), Midway, Williams etc. many years ago as well.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Good intel...can u buy directly from these guys?

#830 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Set to a warm color temperature and almost the very lowest light level, to my eye it's a big improvement over a dark game (probably not ideal for a modern game with better lighting)
    [quoted image]

If that's what you dig, that's cool. I'm of the mindset that the side edges and back end of TAF were never meant to be lit, and they don't look better lit. I have relatively bad eyes, and I've never understood the whole, "the PF is too dark" argument. I can understand an LED bulb upgrade on TAF, but the game has great contrast with its lighting. I can't remember anyone in the tungsten days complaining about the lighting in any of the games in the smoky, dark arcades...

PDI glass, however, makes a world of difference with glare reduction. My two bits!

#831 5 years ago

Overhead 40w led lighting...

Both pics...glass on

IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #832 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wouldn´t like to raise your expectation that´s why I´m chiming in...
    The last time we spoke about your project for one of the VFW shows was 2 years ago...
    In the meantime Joey from PDI and Dan established a solid partnership with their common goal providing the glass on shows.
    There is no room today for me to risk good business relations therefor I´d like to motivate you
    to get in touch with Joey or Dan to discuss possible options for you to source my glass.
    I´m glad if I can answer your product related questions. For sales please contact Joey or Dan.

#833 4 years ago

Just to chime in (because why not, I'm at a conference and read this whole freaking thread). I just acquired a JJP PoTC LE with the invisiglass. Never have had any sort of "better" glass on a machine and I don't think I've hardly ever played on one. One week or so before I bought the PoTC I played the same game at a local bar and the initial reaction by myself and my wife was WOW. HUGE difference. This is also compared to our home game room, controlled lighting (4 circuits of lighting, LED bulbs, dimmers, etc) and bally/williams games with BRAND NEW glass.

When I brought home the PoTC it was immediately, clearly (hah) evident that it was a day and night difference when situated between my TOM and WOZ (with standard glass). All of my standard body, classic games have bent plastic, LED upgrades, new glass, etc. I was keenly aware of the glare that my games had before these updates. WOZ didn't need any "reflection" fixes because I never see the LCD reflection but that doesn't mean I like the standard glass or there are no reflections or glare, otherwise.

Playing PoTC is like a fresh of breath air. Not having to fight against the glare, seeing the playfield in what seems like HD, etc. It's amazing and it sent me on a quest to find better glass. I can't even see how PDI or Stern would be any different/better. I have no qualms and so happy to be upgrading my WOZ SE to a RR with invisiglass. Now to figure out what glass I can get easy and cheap for my TOM... waiting to see if local JJP distributor can help me out.

1 month later
    #834 4 years ago

Has anyone tried Cointaker’s Voodoo Glass?

4 years later
    #835 7 months ago
    Quoted from Bing_Party:

Has anyone tried Cointaker’s Voodoo Glass?

Absolutely amazing glass! Call Melissa anytime, she has them in stock ready to ship. I have Voodoo on all my games! You wont regret it, as they say clearly the best LOL.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/17?hl=vdrums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.