(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 17.
    #751 6 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

The real amazing part of all the brands is what they do to the lower half of the glass where you are looking the majority of the time. It really looks like there is no glass at all.
    However all of them reflect the DMD, Backglass and any speaker lights you may have added to a degree.
    But they are still much better then regular glass at the top end.
    I have a sheet of Stern and a sheet of invisiglass that I move around from game to game and they both look just the same on the upper portion with reflection.
    However the lower on both is amazing.

How do you know if you've installed it correctly? I guess I've only taken the glass off my TH once, I assume I put it back in properly, because it looks incredible!

The images I've seen posted recently have way more reflection on them - but I suppose the angle has to be taken into account as well. Would love some anti reflective glass on my DW

#752 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How do you know if you've installed it correctly? I guess I've only taken the glass off my TH once, I assume I put it back in properly, because it looks incredible!
    The images I've seen posted recently have way more reflection on them - but I suppose the angle has to be taken into account as well. Would love some anti reflective glass on my DW

It really doesn't matter which way you install it, top and bottom are the same.

#753 6 years ago
    Quoted from waltrr:

It really doesn't matter which way you install it, top and bottom are the same.

I'm reading Arcade's comment as meaning the lower half of the glass is treated more/better since you are looking at it most of the time - this would imply you need to install it only a certain way, and would need to thusly be marked

#754 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm reading Arcade's comment as meaning the lower half of the glass is treated more/better since you are looking at it most of the time - this would imply you need to install it only a certain way, and would need to thusly be marked

Nope...doesnt matter, which way its installed...both sides are coated....

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe what he means is that from the angle that you are standing at the lower half playfield is where the invisiglass really looks best, as you will have no reflections there at all. I concur with Arcade's comment there....

#756 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I believe what he means is that from the angle that you are standing at the lower half playfield is where the invisiglass really looks best, as you will have no reflections there at all. I concur with Arcade's comment there....

Correct.
    I was not implying that the glass has a top and bottom.
    It is just that they all have a hard time with all the glare at the top of the game from the back box lights.

#757 6 years ago

PDI all the way!!!! In all my games....Except WOZ which I can't justify replacing the Invisiglass for PDI, but I want to!

#758 6 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Correct.
    I was not implying that the glass has a top and bottom.
    It is just that they all have a hard time with all the glare at the top of the game from the back box lights.

I get it now - thx! I wonder if this is why JJP moved the speakers above the screen, and the screen a bit lower? As I mentioned my DW could use invisiglass/PDI/Stern but damn if I'm gonna spend $300 for a game nobody else seems to want

#759 6 years ago

I wondering if besides the glare other factors such as light transmission come into play. That's what PDI seems to indicate. Also I wonder if how lit the play field makes any difference (I.e. With the new pinstadium lighting)

#760 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I bought 2 pieces of the Stern glass, and after hearing how great antireflective glass is I was underwhelmed. I don’t have any experience with the other two (PDI & JJP) so can't compare. Reflections have improved compared regular glass, but are still there from the translite & DMD. Both pieces have some spotiness in the coating at certain angles where the coating wasn’t uniform.
    If I had to do it over again I would have bought a ColorDMD instead for my LOTR.
    Here is a pic of my two pins with the Stern invisiglass installed:

Two things. First get a bent plastic mod to block the light from DMD and those led ring speaker lights. If you get a colorDMD you won’t get any glare from it, but speaker LED lights (that style in particular) will throw a bad glare.

Second. If you put 1 sheet of regular glass back on I can’t imagine you don’t notice a big difference between the two.

#761 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Two things. First get a bent plastic mod to block the light from DMD and those led ring speaker lights. If you get a colorDMD you won’t get any glare from it, but speaker LED lights (that style in particular) will throw a bad glare.
    Second. If you put 1 sheet of regular glass back on I can’t imagine you don’t notice a big difference between the two.

Yep, bent plastic will be included in my next order from PBL, and I expect ColorDMD to change things as the LCD on the MMr is not an issue. The real reflection disappointment are the translites as I had expected any glare/reflection from them to go away. Like I said, an improvement over regular glass, but still underwhelmed for $450 shipped...

#762 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Yep, bent plastic will be included in my next order from PBL, and I expect ColorDMD to change things as the LCD on the MMr is not an issue. The real reflection disappointment are the translites as I had expected any glare/reflection from them to go away. Like I said, an improvement over regular glass, but still underwhelmed for $450 shipped...

$450 shipped for the glass?

#763 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Hopefully that's for two sheets of Stern glass?

#764 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Quoted from fosaisu:

Hopefully that's for two sheets of Stern glass?

Correct, 2 sheets......

#765 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Correct, 2 sheets......

makes sense I've never seen the stern glass...I have both PDI and Invisiglass...prefer the Invisiglass, but there's not much difference between the 2

#766 6 years ago

Ptown What do like more about the Invisiglass over PDI? I don't believe I've read that opinion yet.

It seems from reading and pics that Stern is very similar to invisiglass, so that sounds encouraging.

I've only seen invisiglass in person (on DI) and thought it was an improvement over pins next to it with standard glass, and the DI standard I once saw in a different setting.

#767 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Ptown What do like more about the Invisiglass over PDI? I don't believe I've read that opinion yet.
    It seems from reading and pics that Stern is very similar to invisiglass, so that sounds encouraging.
    I've only seen invisiglass in person (on DI) and thought it was an improvement over pins next to it with standard glass, and the DI standard I once saw in a different setting.

There is a lot of anecdotal, non scientific and apples to oranges information out there on this subject. Also, a lot of people expecting more than what is actually promised. The best controlled video and photo comparisons side by side that I have seen show that PDI is clearly better than Invisiglass (sorry for the pun). The Stern glass looks similar to invisiglass but the jury is still out.
    None of these can fully make up for an improperly lit room, bright speaker LEDs, DMD reflection, bright LEDs behind the translite, etc.

#768 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

There is a lot of anecdotal, non scientific and apples to oranges information out there on this subject. Also, a lot of people expecting more than what is actually promised. The best controlled video and photo comparisons side by side that I have seen show that PDI is clearly better than Invisiglass (sorry for the pun). The Stern glass looks similar to invisiglass but the jury is still out.
    None of these can fully make up for an improperly lit room, bright speaker LEDs, DMD reflection, bright LEDs behind the translite, etc.

Do you have a link to these videos? I am wanting to get some glass for 2 or 3 games and just can't stomach spending $1000 unless it is definitely the best option. I'm fine with any of the manufacturers

#769 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do you have a link to these videos? I am wanting to get some glass for 2 or 3 games and just can't stomach spending $1000 unless it is definitely the best option. I'm fine with any of the manufacturers

#770 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Like I said there really isn't much difference between the PDI and Invisiglass....sitting side by side from each other they both look the same from side to side, and from the players perspective. What was a little different is the Invisiglass didnt have as much glare from the back box. Now to be fair their different games (ACDC, Metallica), but I felt IG was a little better. They do block a significant amount of glare from the back box, but they don't eliminate it entirely. The other issue was PDI seemed to be out of stock all the time due to manufacturing issues (thats what I was told)...IV is made in the USA by JJP and its usually available.

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Like I said there really isn't much difference between the PDI and Invisiglass....sitting side by side from each other they both look the same from side to side, and from the players perspective.

No they don't. I had Invisiglass and there was such a difference, I actually upgraded to PDI. Now it's on all my machines.

#772 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No they don't. I had Invisiglass and there was such a difference, I actually upgraded to PDI. Now it's on all my machines.

I completely disagree...if anything PDI was worse...Invisigalass is on all my machines due to that...PDI was a downgrade

#773 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

IV is made in the USA by JJP

I thought they were both made in Germany....

#774 6 years ago

Possibly??...all I know is JJP seems to keep them in stock....

#775 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I agree , I have both. PDI is better glass.

#776 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I completely disagree...if anything PDI was worse...Invisigalass is on all my machines due to that...PDI was a downgrade

When was your last eye exam?

#777 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

When was your last eye exam?

Ha....20-10 for the record...possibly you have some serious issues on your end...might want to head to the doc today

#778 6 years ago

Enough with all the anecdotes!

Until someone performs a blinded comparison with actual instruments and controls this argument is pointless.

#779 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I thought they were both made in Germany....

I'm pretty sure Invisiglass is US sourced. I could be wrong, of course.

I've had both Invisiglass and PDI on my games for years. To me, they are very similar and both excellent products. I do think the PDI is a tiny bit better, but I certainly wouldn't sell all my Invisiglass and replace it with PDI. I've been curious to check out Stern's glass, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

#780 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Ha....20-10 for the record...possibly you have some serious issues on your end...might want to head to the doc today

I have serious issues, but it has nothing to do with my eyes.

#781 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have serious issues, but it has nothing to do with my eyes.

we all have issues, but honestly I see zero difference between the two products...I have 8 sheets of IG and 2 sheets of PDI...

#782 6 years ago

It would be nice if Stern had games at Expo with their glass so we can see for ourselves.

#783 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

we all have issues, but honestly I see zero difference between the two products...I have 8 sheets of IG and 2 sheets of PDI...

Each game has it's own glare issue as does each game room and even two different spots in the same game room. Judging the difference by eye is very tough. That is why the best test is side by side and not on a pinball machine at all. The video linked in my post above is to me incontrovertible evidence using a very scientific method. They are both in the same environment on the same screen at the same time and all variables such as position or camera auto settings eliminated. I'm not sure how anyone, even an engineer like me, can watch that video and not come to a definite conclusion. Now we just need two more videos exactly like that with Stern vs PDI and Stern vs IG.

#784 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm pretty sure Invisiglass is US sourced. I could be wrong, of course.

Per Pinball News...you are right! I was wrong.

The two anti-reflective options commonly available are:

Invisiglass™ which is made in the US, sold by Pinball Sales as well as many Jersey Jack Pinball distributors, and is fitted as standard to the Emerald City Limited Edition version of The Wizard of Oz

PDI Optical glass sold by Pinball Decals Inc. (hence the PDI name) in the US. The PDI Optical glass is supplied by Roman Kunovic in Germany which is where it is made, and sold by him across Europe.

#785 6 years ago

I have 2 sheets of Stern HD glass and its much better then stock.

#786 6 years ago

In my humble opinion, PDI is best. It’s on all of my games, at great cost though. . I guess this to the Colgate-Crest dilemma of Pinball.

#787 6 years ago

Can you use the same cleaning products on PDI and Invisiglass?

#788 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Can you use the same cleaning products on PDI and Invisiglass?

Yes. Just make sure it doesn't have ammonia in it. I use Sparkle on all my glass (PDI, Invisiglass and regular). It's very inexpensive and works great!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sparkle-161-8oz-Glass-Cleaner-Spray-Bottle-and-Refill-Combo-Pack-20515/203261397

Sparkle (resized).jpgSparkle (resized).jpg

#789 6 years ago

I prefer this stuff myself:

inspiration (resized).jpginspiration (resized).jpg

#790 6 years ago

Is any of this crap $150 shipped yet?

#791 6 years ago

I've almost put my hand through a sheet of PDI before because my glass was on and off on a few different pins as I was working on them and I literally thought the glass was off and reached to the PF like an idiot. I felt like those people that walk into an arcadia door and feel really stupid. It really is a night and day comparison from regular glass.

#792 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've almost put my hand through a sheet of PDI before because my glass was on and off on a few different pins as I was working on them and I literally thought the glass was off and reached to the PF like an idiot. I felt like those people that walk into an arcadia door and feel really stupid. It really is a night and day comparison from regular glass.

I did that the other day. I walked right into a glass pane at work that was new and super clean. Felt like a complete moron. Thankfully no one was watching.

#793 6 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Thankfully no one was watching.

...and, thankfully none of them are Pinsiders...

7 months later
    #794 5 years ago

Opened up a box with a sheet of this stuff last night. Thought it was packed really well, so happy it wasn’t filled with the packaging kernels that get everywhere. Looks to be the same quality as the PDI glass we have as well. Good product.

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

Opened up a box with a sheet of this stuff last night. Thought it was packed really well, so happy it wasn’t filled with the packaging kernels that get everywhere. Looks to be the same quality as the PDI glass we have as well. Good product.

Price please?
    Thanks

#796 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Price please?
    Thanks

I paid $230 for the last sheet I picked up at a show.

#797 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

I paid $230 for the last sheet I picked up at a show.

Same here.
    We picked up a sheet at a distributor while we were in the shop so we had no shipping cost.

#798 5 years ago

I need at least one more sheet of the stuff, maybe two. Are they on sale anywhere?

6 months later
    #799 5 years ago

How do you know if your glass is the stern invisiglass? My used Iron Maiden LE I bought I’m not sure if it’s the good glass or it’s been swapped. How could I tell?

#800 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

How do you know if your glass is the stern invisiglass? My used Iron Maiden LE I bought I’m not sure if it’s the good glass or it’s been swapped. How could I tell?

There are no markings on the stern glass but there sld b a considerable difference from regular glass .

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.