By DCFAN

3 months ago

Stats

• 737 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 58 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3017 (resized).JPG
    Space Shuttle (resized).jpg
    SpaceShuttleARGlassAfter.jpg
    SpaceShuttleARGlassBefore.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20170325_141846 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170325_081230 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170325_074638 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170211_142224 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170211_142224 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170324_223526 (resized).jpg
    AR Glass (resized).JPG
    20170311_163903 (resized).jpg
    20170311_163631 (resized).jpg

There are 737 posts in topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
    #702 86 days ago

Big booooooooooo!!!

#703 86 days ago

today was hoping someone would take an after shot with the glass actually off and claim it was with stern's glass.

#704 85 days ago

What is the consensus on the proper/safest way to clean this glass?

#705 85 days ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

What is the consensus on the proper/safest way to clean this glass?

See the first page for the liquid. Also, Use a clean microfiber cloth.

3 weeks later
    #706 64 days ago

Anyone with invisiglass or PDI also get the new Stern glass? I'm in a waiting pattern and hoping to see comparisons on the same game capturing the same angle.

#707 63 days ago

Over the weekend I was doing some work in the backbox of my TSPP, which has Sterns HD glass. I thought I had the playfield glass out. I tried to set my fluke meter on the playfield twice and it kept hitting something. It was the glass which I hadn't removed. The glass doesn't elimate the backbox/dmd glare. It does reduce it. The glass does however look almost completely invisible otherwise. I've now had numerous people over and they all think there isn't glass. Even my wife who thought it was stupid to spend that much on glass now admits it's looks a lot better than normal glass.

#708 63 days ago

I've seen the glass in person a couple of times, and it made minimal difference under those circumstances. I really don't see the reason for picking it up unless you have a very specific lighting issue to overcome. You still get DMD and translite glare, and it barely feels diminished.

If anybody played the Ghostbusters Premium at TPF, that had the HD glass in it. It was hard to even notice a difference.

Anyway, for general use, it's probably a bust. If you have a bad lighting situation, it might help.

3 weeks later
    #709 40 days ago

Is this shipping? And if so, how long did it take?

I think I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

#710 38 days ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Is this shipping? And if so, how long did it take?
    I think I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

They were out of stock until the 15th. Glass is now shipping and I received mine on Wednesday but it is 1 day shipping to here.
    BTW, As a nay sayer old school guy who believed glass is glass I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't have any Invisiglass or PDI to compare it too, but I put it on my CCC and in my lighting situation it's awesome. Machines with regular tempered on each side, I can't believe the difference. To me, it was so... good it's bad, really bad.
    This is my 1st piece, 25 machines set up and I want more....
    Has anyone compared it to PDI yet?

#711 38 days ago

Yes, thanks. Got tracking and mine is coming today. If it's like PDI or Invisiglass, I'll be stoked. I have both types and can't have a machine without it now. A must have mod IMO anyway.

Oh man, you have a huge collection. This could get expensive, lol.

#712 38 days ago

Great!
    I can't wait for your comparison to PDI and Invisiglass. From all I've read, PDI seems to be superior so far.
    Only 4 more color displays to get and the glass has to be next.
    It will get expensive... Oh well still way cheaper then racing.

#713 38 days ago

Watching this thread closely. Stern HD glass is $100 less than others after tax and shipping for me. It'd be a game-changer.

#714 38 days ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Watching this thread closely. Stern HD glass is $100 less than others after tax and shipping for me. It'd be a game-changer.

i got a sheet of Stern HD glass at Pinfest. I cant tell a difference between the HD glass and Invisiglass. Both look like theres no glass looking directly down on playfield and both have some glare from overhead lights and backglasses.

#715 38 days ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

i got a sheet of Stern HD glass at Pinfest. I cant tell a difference between the HD glass and Invisiglass. Both look like theres no glass looking directly down on playfield and both have some glare from overhead lights and backglasses.

Cool thank you!

#716 38 days ago

Just got my Stern HD glass installed. Super happy - Looks indistinguishable from PDI or Invisiglass IMO.

Pictures were tough. I just shot a quick video showing from the top all three vendors side by side.

I need to add text to video, but TSPP is Stern HD, SMVE and AS are PDI, GB is Invisiglass

» YouTube video

#717 38 days ago

Thanks for the comparison and the good news.
    And $20 shipping to Mi. is pretty awesome too.
    But... this is now going to get expansive, time to order more.
    I hope they would do wide bodies next.

#718 37 days ago

Where does one buy this glass? I don't see it on Stern's website. Can I pick it up from the factory to save on shipping?

#719 37 days ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Where does one buy this glass? I don't see it on Stern's website. Can I pick it up from the factory to save on shipping?

I read that a few did pick up at Stern and save shipping... assuming you'd have to call them to arrange this. That would be a good option for you probably. But I also found a link on their website.

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?ProductId=6299062

#720 37 days ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I got mine from Cointaker

#721 37 days ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Hey Gweem
    Take a spin over to PBL and pick one up.
    Wally
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4558

#722 37 days ago

How is the packaging? Safe to ship ground? Thanks!

#723 37 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How is the packaging? Safe to ship ground? Thanks!

The guys over at PBL are packaging experts. No doubt in my mind that it would ship flawlessly.
    Wally

#724 37 days ago

I got mine directly from Stern. $21.21 shipping to Mi. 3 1/4" X 25 1/2" X 48" Heavy cardboard box. Expanding foam in all 4 corners and a little protection in the middle. Got here just fine even after what looks like they dropped it on a corner, but not really that hard. Nice glass.

#725 35 days ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Just got my Stern HD glass installed. Super happy - Looks indistinguishable from PDI or Invisiglass IMO.

Hi Toasterdog,

as you have 3 different sheets of anti reflective glass would you mind to make another video
    with only the glass sitting side by side like I`ve asked Pinsiders two months ago please ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/4#post-3650003

You´d be surprised what you´d see...
    and I´d highly appreciate it if you´d share your experience...

3 weeks later
    #726 13 days ago

This has been pretty quiet...what's the overall consensus?

#727 13 days ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

This has been pretty quiet...what's the overall consensus?

Consensus is probably that there is no consensus.

My "consensus" is that it is worth having if you have a particular glare issue. For sensible ambient lighting conditions, there is not much bang for your buck.

#728 8 days ago

I'm good with it.

Without HD
    IMG_3017 (resized).JPG

With HD
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

#729 8 days ago

Wow that is the best comparison I've seen - the DMD is almost nonexistent. Too bad these are still so damn expensive!

#730 8 days ago

I'm sure the glass helps but the angle is completely different in the second pic. Why not take the same angle, hovering over it with the lockbar button showing, like the first one?

I just simply dimmed the backbox with some greenish tape on the bulb and used one of those plastic DMD glare guards that got thrown in with my game.

Problem solved in a pitch black room and $300 saved.

But if you absolutely MUST get rid of that unwanted money in your pocket I'm sure the glass helps... no question.

#731 8 days ago

I just put in 4 pieces of PDI that I picked up from local pinhead. All the guests (non pin heads) that I have over, see a noticeable difference in colors and transparency compared to the regular glass. So it wasn't just about glare for me. One of my guests actually had to put their finger on the glass to make sure it was on the pin.

It's everyone's money to spend the best way they see fit. I'd never buy a $500 Stern topper (at least the ones made so far) but I'll be happy for anyone who wants one and picks it up, who am I to judge.

#732 8 days ago

I have PDI on TWD and I've had multiple people (who own machines and people who don't) say they thought the glass was off until they were right next to it or physically touched it.

These upgraded types of glass are great but very expensive. Hopefully a cheaper alternative will be out later this year (and I'll have it on all my games then).

#733 8 days ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

These upgraded types of glass are great but very expensive. Hopefully a cheaper alternative will be out later this year (and I'll have it on all my games then).

Is this a hope, or based on some sort of rumor or?

I have been holding off on these due to the cost; in between kids, cats and whatever else I haven't wanted to worry about scratching a sheet.

At $100 bucks a sheet I would roll the dice and see what happens.

#734 8 days ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I have been holding off on these due to the cost; in between kids, cats and whatever else I haven't wanted to worry about scratching a sheet.

I'd absolutely go in for $100 a sheet if I could tell the difference... $300 a sheet is too steep when I have games with no color DMD still...

#735 7 days ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

There is a guy in Michigan working on something similar. I don't know his target price or release date but am looking forward to an alternative.

#736 7 days ago

I've been considering the HD glass for my 4 games. I've got some lighting issues in the room, with some overhead cans. I'm waiting for my DICE to get here to see how big of a difference the Invisiglass makes before i pull the trigger putting it in the other machines. Hope it makes a noticable difference.

#737 6 days ago
    Quoted from KirboTurbo:

I've been considering the HD glass for my 4 games. I've got some lighting issues in the room, with some overhead cans. I'm waiting for my DICE to get here to see how big of a difference the Invisiglass makes before i pull the trigger putting it in the other machines. Hope it makes a noticable difference.

I'm struggling to understand the pricing on this glass. It doesn't seem to work as well as Pdi or Invisiglass, and is priced a little bit cheaper.. but not enough IMO to take a big bite of the market. I don't get their strategy

#738 4 days ago
    Quoted from KirboTurbo:

I don't know if you remember when you were in my gameroom, I had invisiglass on every game. To me it is the best mod out there and it makes a huge difference in most situations. All be it an expensive one especially for a lot of games. Slowly thru the years I just waited for sales from one of the manufacturers when they were BOGO or buy two get one, etc and now just rotate it out when I sell games. I've had so many non-pinhead friends put their hand right into my glass thinking there was no glass there.

I can't speak to the brands, seems the consensus usually is PDI>Invisiglass>Stern but imagine they all serve the purpose in the end. If you have bad glare and lighting in room affects it worse, it all helps!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 94.00
    $ 9.99
    € 49.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 18.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 737 posts in topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.