(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
    #702 6 years ago

Big booooooooooo!!!

#703 6 years ago

today was hoping someone would take an after shot with the glass actually off and claim it was with stern's glass.

#704 6 years ago

What is the consensus on the proper/safest way to clean this glass?

#705 6 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

What is the consensus on the proper/safest way to clean this glass?

See the first page for the liquid. Also, Use a clean microfiber cloth.

3 weeks later
    #706 6 years ago

Anyone with invisiglass or PDI also get the new Stern glass? I'm in a waiting pattern and hoping to see comparisons on the same game capturing the same angle.

#707 6 years ago

Over the weekend I was doing some work in the backbox of my TSPP, which has Sterns HD glass. I thought I had the playfield glass out. I tried to set my fluke meter on the playfield twice and it kept hitting something. It was the glass which I hadn't removed. The glass doesn't elimate the backbox/dmd glare. It does reduce it. The glass does however look almost completely invisible otherwise. I've now had numerous people over and they all think there isn't glass. Even my wife who thought it was stupid to spend that much on glass now admits it's looks a lot better than normal glass.

#708 6 years ago

I've seen the glass in person a couple of times, and it made minimal difference under those circumstances. I really don't see the reason for picking it up unless you have a very specific lighting issue to overcome. You still get DMD and translite glare, and it barely feels diminished.

If anybody played the Ghostbusters Premium at TPF, that had the HD glass in it. It was hard to even notice a difference.

Anyway, for general use, it's probably a bust. If you have a bad lighting situation, it might help.

3 weeks later
    #709 6 years ago

Is this shipping? And if so, how long did it take?

I think I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

#710 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Is this shipping? And if so, how long did it take?
    I think I ordered almost 4 weeks ago.

They were out of stock until the 15th. Glass is now shipping and I received mine on Wednesday but it is 1 day shipping to here.
    BTW, As a nay sayer old school guy who believed glass is glass I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't have any Invisiglass or PDI to compare it too, but I put it on my CCC and in my lighting situation it's awesome. Machines with regular tempered on each side, I can't believe the difference. To me, it was so... good it's bad, really bad.
    This is my 1st piece, 25 machines set up and I want more....
    Has anyone compared it to PDI yet?

#711 6 years ago

Yes, thanks. Got tracking and mine is coming today. If it's like PDI or Invisiglass, I'll be stoked. I have both types and can't have a machine without it now. A must have mod IMO anyway.

Oh man, you have a huge collection. This could get expensive, lol.

#712 6 years ago

Great!
    I can't wait for your comparison to PDI and Invisiglass. From all I've read, PDI seems to be superior so far.
    Only 4 more color displays to get and the glass has to be next.
    It will get expensive... Oh well still way cheaper then racing.

#713 6 years ago

Watching this thread closely. Stern HD glass is $100 less than others after tax and shipping for me. It'd be a game-changer.

#714 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Watching this thread closely. Stern HD glass is $100 less than others after tax and shipping for me. It'd be a game-changer.

i got a sheet of Stern HD glass at Pinfest. I cant tell a difference between the HD glass and Invisiglass. Both look like theres no glass looking directly down on playfield and both have some glare from overhead lights and backglasses.

#715 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

i got a sheet of Stern HD glass at Pinfest. I cant tell a difference between the HD glass and Invisiglass. Both look like theres no glass looking directly down on playfield and both have some glare from overhead lights and backglasses.

Cool thank you!

#716 6 years ago

Just got my Stern HD glass installed. Super happy - Looks indistinguishable from PDI or Invisiglass IMO.

Pictures were tough. I just shot a quick video showing from the top all three vendors side by side.

I need to add text to video, but TSPP is Stern HD, SMVE and AS are PDI, GB is Invisiglass

#717 6 years ago

Thanks for the comparison and the good news.
    And $20 shipping to Mi. is pretty awesome too.
    But... this is now going to get expansive, time to order more.
    I hope they would do wide bodies next.

#718 6 years ago

Where does one buy this glass? I don't see it on Stern's website. Can I pick it up from the factory to save on shipping?

#719 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Where does one buy this glass? I don't see it on Stern's website. Can I pick it up from the factory to save on shipping?

I read that a few did pick up at Stern and save shipping... assuming you'd have to call them to arrange this. That would be a good option for you probably. But I also found a link on their website.

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?ProductId=6299062

#720 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I got mine from Cointaker

#721 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Hey Gweem
    Take a spin over to PBL and pick one up.
    Wally
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4558

#722 6 years ago

How is the packaging? Safe to ship ground? Thanks!

#723 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How is the packaging? Safe to ship ground? Thanks!

The guys over at PBL are packaging experts. No doubt in my mind that it would ship flawlessly.
    Wally

#724 6 years ago

I got mine directly from Stern. $21.21 shipping to Mi. 3 1/4" X 25 1/2" X 48" Heavy cardboard box. Expanding foam in all 4 corners and a little protection in the middle. Got here just fine even after what looks like they dropped it on a corner, but not really that hard. Nice glass.

#725 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Just got my Stern HD glass installed. Super happy - Looks indistinguishable from PDI or Invisiglass IMO.

Hi Toasterdog,

as you have 3 different sheets of anti reflective glass would you mind to make another video
    with only the glass sitting side by side like I`ve asked Pinsiders two months ago please ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/4#post-3650003

You´d be surprised what you´d see...
    and I´d highly appreciate it if you´d share your experience...

3 weeks later
    #726 6 years ago

This has been pretty quiet...what's the overall consensus?

#727 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

This has been pretty quiet...what's the overall consensus?

Consensus is probably that there is no consensus.

My "consensus" is that it is worth having if you have a particular glare issue. For sensible ambient lighting conditions, there is not much bang for your buck.

#728 6 years ago

I'm good with it.

Without HD
    IMG_3017 (resized).JPGIMG_3017 (resized).JPG

With HD
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPGIMG_3030 (resized).JPG

#729 6 years ago

Wow that is the best comparison I've seen - the DMD is almost nonexistent. Too bad these are still so damn expensive!

#730 6 years ago

I'm sure the glass helps but the angle is completely different in the second pic. Why not take the same angle, hovering over it with the lockbar button showing, like the first one?

I just simply dimmed the backbox with some greenish tape on the bulb and used one of those plastic DMD glare guards that got thrown in with my game.

Problem solved in a pitch black room and $300 saved.

But if you absolutely MUST get rid of that unwanted money in your pocket I'm sure the glass helps... no question.

#731 6 years ago

I just put in 4 pieces of PDI that I picked up from local pinhead. All the guests (non pin heads) that I have over, see a noticeable difference in colors and transparency compared to the regular glass. So it wasn't just about glare for me. One of my guests actually had to put their finger on the glass to make sure it was on the pin.

It's everyone's money to spend the best way they see fit. I'd never buy a $500 Stern topper (at least the ones made so far) but I'll be happy for anyone who wants one and picks it up, who am I to judge.

#732 6 years ago

I have PDI on TWD and I've had multiple people (who own machines and people who don't) say they thought the glass was off until they were right next to it or physically touched it.

These upgraded types of glass are great but very expensive. Hopefully a cheaper alternative will be out later this year (and I'll have it on all my games then).

#733 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

These upgraded types of glass are great but very expensive. Hopefully a cheaper alternative will be out later this year (and I'll have it on all my games then).

Is this a hope, or based on some sort of rumor or?

I have been holding off on these due to the cost; in between kids, cats and whatever else I haven't wanted to worry about scratching a sheet.

At $100 bucks a sheet I would roll the dice and see what happens.

#734 6 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I have been holding off on these due to the cost; in between kids, cats and whatever else I haven't wanted to worry about scratching a sheet.

I'd absolutely go in for $100 a sheet if I could tell the difference... $300 a sheet is too steep when I have games with no color DMD still...

#735 6 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

There is a guy in Michigan working on something similar. I don't know his target price or release date but am looking forward to an alternative.

#736 6 years ago

I've been considering the HD glass for my 4 games. I've got some lighting issues in the room, with some overhead cans. I'm waiting for my DICE to get here to see how big of a difference the Invisiglass makes before i pull the trigger putting it in the other machines. Hope it makes a noticable difference.

#737 6 years ago
    Quoted from KirboTurbo:

I've been considering the HD glass for my 4 games. I've got some lighting issues in the room, with some overhead cans. I'm waiting for my DICE to get here to see how big of a difference the Invisiglass makes before i pull the trigger putting it in the other machines. Hope it makes a noticable difference.

I'm struggling to understand the pricing on this glass. It doesn't seem to work as well as Pdi or Invisiglass, and is priced a little bit cheaper.. but not enough IMO to take a big bite of the market. I don't get their strategy

#738 6 years ago
    Quoted from KirboTurbo:

I don't know if you remember when you were in my gameroom, I had invisiglass on every game. To me it is the best mod out there and it makes a huge difference in most situations. All be it an expensive one especially for a lot of games. Slowly thru the years I just waited for sales from one of the manufacturers when they were BOGO or buy two get one, etc and now just rotate it out when I sell games. I've had so many non-pinhead friends put their hand right into my glass thinking there was no glass there.

I can't speak to the brands, seems the consensus usually is PDI>Invisiglass>Stern but imagine they all serve the purpose in the end. If you have bad glare and lighting in room affects it worse, it all helps!

3 months later
    #739 6 years ago

Bumping this. Really surprised there isn’t more discussion about this. Any more feedback from people that have bought Stern HD glass?

Anti-glare glass is one of the best upgrades w/ ColorDMD and this is priced considerably better then Invisiglass and PDI.

I’m somewhat torn because at this point it’s tough for me to tell what is Invisiglass and what is SternHD. PDI is easy because it has nice sanded edges which is really sweet, but you have to deal with expensive prices and crazy packaging with tons of foam peanuts.

I almost wish these was some type of small identification etching / emblem. Although I know Invisiglass got blasted for this early on.

#740 6 years ago

I have 6 games with PDI, one with Invisiglass and just bought a sheet of the Stern HD glass to compare it. I still think PDI is slightly better than Invisiglass and both are better than Stern but a little bigger margin. I do think good glass is worth it especially in a small collection because you can just keep the regular glass and put it back in if you sell a game then put the good stuff in whatever you buy to replace it. I've tried to find someway to capture the differences between the three on camera but any pictures I have taken look much worse with any of them than the eye perceives. I'm still not sure if it's better to buy the Stern stuff and save $60+ bucks but if you want to try it I highly recommend getting it from PinballLife as shipping for one sheet plus some other stuff I had on my order was only $18 via FedEx home delivery - compared to shipping prices from P.D. or JJP that is one hell of a deal and it was packaged very well.

#741 6 years ago

When the hell was any of this glass sold BOGO/BTGO?

That would be awesome for me. It is so expensive I am only considering buying some for ONE of my games, and even then it just puts me off it costs so much. I think it would just be wrong to put Stern glass on a B/W game

#742 6 years ago

Finally have a sheet of the stern glass along with 4 pdi and 4 invisaglass. Im actually very happy with all them and dont see any huge difference between the 3 in my house. The edges on the stern glass are really sharp even compared to the invisaglass but all 3 do a great job with reflections.

#743 6 years ago

I bought 2 pieces of the Stern glass, and after hearing how great antireflective glass is I was underwhelmed. I don’t have any experience with the other two (PDI & JJP) so can't compare. Reflections have improved compared regular glass, but are still there from the translite & DMD. Both pieces have some spotiness in the coating at certain angles where the coating wasn’t uniform.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a ColorDMD instead for my LOTR.

Here is a pic of my two pins with the Stern invisiglass installed:

F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpegF646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg

#744 6 years ago

I got a piece of Stern HD glass in York last week for my LOTR and I am very happy with the difference. Even my wife has commented about the difference and said it is “so clear now”.

#745 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

When the hell was any of this glass sold BOGO/BTGO?

I don't think PDI a has ever had a sale of any kind (at least not in the US).

A few (three?) years ago, JJP was doing buy two get three on Invisiglass. Haven't heard of any recent discounting though.

Quoted from AUKraut:

I bought 2 pieces of the Stern glass, and after hearing how great antireflective glass is I was underwhelmed. I don’t have any experience with the other two (PDI & JJP) so can't compare. Reflections have improved compared regular glass, but are still there from the translite & DMD. Both pieces have some spotiness in the coating at certain angles where the coating wasn’t uniform.

Non-uniform coating sounds like a pretty serious strike against the Stern glass ...

#746 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a ColorDMD instead for my LOTR.

In my game room I have Invisiglass, and one sheet PDI installed on all my games. I really can't tell the difference between the 2 brands, but for whatever reason I choose to use Invisiglass on most of my games. There are only 3 mods that I make to all my games....color dmd, invisiglass, and Cliffy protectors....if having to choose between the color and glass I would choose the color all day long....glass is just a "nice to have option"

#747 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

if having to choose between the color and glass I would choose the color all day long....glass is just a "nice to have option"

Agreed, all mine that are compatible already have the ColorDMD in them. The reduction in reflections is pretty significant but depending on how tall you are and/or how you position yourself when playing a glare eliminator of some type is a better investment if that is you primary concern. How much better the games look in general with any of the high-end glass is extremely noticeable to me however and why I'm sold on it.

#748 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Agreed, all mine that are compatible already have the ColorDMD in them. The reduction in reflections is pretty significant but depending on how tall you are and/or how you position yourself when playing a glare eliminator of some type is a better investment if that is you primary concern. How much better the games look in general with any of the high-end glass is extremely noticeable to me however and why I'm sold on it.

I couldn't agree more...its really night and day...

#749 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Wow, that reflects a LOT more than I would have expected

#750 6 years ago

The real amazing part of all the brands is what they do to the lower half of the glass where you are looking the majority of the time. It really looks like there is no glass at all.
    However all of them reflect the DMD, Backglass and any speaker lights you may have added to a degree.
    But they are still much better then regular glass at the top end.
    I have a sheet of Stern and a sheet of invisiglass that I move around from game to game and they both look just the same on the upper portion with reflection.
    However the lower on both is amazing.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.