3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bing_Party
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 73 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
    #651 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

I feel the need to change something and I know that the copycats are waiting...

Lower the price, flood the market...
    The superior product should survive and become the new standard.
    Make sure your trademarks and copyrights are sound.

#652 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Lower the price, flood the market...
    The superior product should survive and become the new standard.
    Make sure your trademarks and copyrights are sound.

Now THIS advice I like

#653 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's how high-end audio speakers are too.
    I've seen them 1/2 the price in the Netherlands (adjusting for USD to Euros), even though they are made in USA.
    Companies price their products at whatever the market will support.
    Magnesium Fluoride anti-reflection coatings (those are the ones that have the slightly greenish tint off-axis) are .40 cents a square foot to apply, yet the eye doctor will gladly charge you $100 for AR Deluxe Secret Scratch Resistant Coating.

THANK you for this post about pricing theory. You charge *what people will pay* for the best volume based on what you're able to produce. OR in the case of distributors, you price based on the biggest markup you can get. It's how companies stay in business. This is what "what the market will support" means.

Video game companies set a minimum price point for their products because everybody wants to be selling the next Nintendo / Xbox/etc. This isn't something that usually happens in most other industries.

Somebody on a previous page was asking why things are priced less in Europe - it's because that's the price point people are willing to pay! I've got to believe the volume sold in Europe is much lower than the US, so it's harder to get a premium price. No idea what Roman's costs are, but typically manufacturers dont' set an upper limit on price. They may set a *minimum* but that's the opposite of what we're discussing.

it's not like if they price at $150, all of a sudden PDI is going to start flying off the shelves. and even if it does, the market dries up pretty fast if everybody grabs a sheet. "Ok, all my games have PDI, and I don't buy new pins often - now I never need to buy another sheet again!" That would make me sick to my stomach as a manufacturer.

#654 3 years ago

Sooner or latter somebody will set a beer bottle on the expensive glass and you will scream; NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Sometimes it's more relaxing to just have the $20 sheets of glass, lol

#655 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sooner or latter somebody will set a beer bottle on the expensive glass and you will scream; NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!
    Sometimes it's more relaxing to just have the $20 sheets of glass, lol

Fair enough, except I will scream "CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!" My friends are old enough that that's no longer an enticing prospect for most of them.

#656 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

I truly don't think you have to "change" anything. Your glass has proven to be the best so far (suspect it remains as such)...just a strategic sale every now and then would get your product in more people's machine's, and create more excitement for the next time a "sale" popped up.

Find a fiscal and time window that works, make it worthwhile for people to give it a go (like a deep discount just for orders placed through one weekend or something). I think you would be surprised that you could then "hold to your guns" the remaining periods, and people would be saving for the special events.

Competition is healthy....you just have to get your stuff in front of more people on occasion. If you were to ever offer "buy one, get the other half off" for a weekend you would have backorders instantly. If you don't do it, someone certainly will.... (sorry..i'm part sales guy, now exec, and really enjoy your product).

#657 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

You better if you want to keep making "more money" in the USA.

I'm sure that's the reason you are posting on here at a rapid rate. You better get your shit together with respect to distribution.

#658 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You better if you want to keep making "more money" in the USA.
    I'm sure that's the reason you are posting on here at a rapid rate. You better get your shit together with respect to distribution.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere ...

#659 3 years ago

I've got cash sitting on the sidelines. If this stuff ever hits my price I'm in....if it doesn't I'm not.

#660 3 years ago

Stern glass on my Addams. Have a color dmd LED on order, should have less glare issues than the old school display.

IMG_20170324_223526 (resized).jpg

#661 3 years ago

Here's what the regular glass looked like with it..

IMG_20170211_142224 (resized).jpg

#662 3 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Here's what the regular glass looked like with it..

Why is there a glare on the rails in the one picture and not the other?

#663 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Those are the new AntiReflection Rails.

All the cool pinheads are installing them.

#664 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Pics were taken at very different angles.....

#665 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Pics were taken at very different angles.....

Good eyes and a good point.

VERY different angles... the top one he is practically floating over the machine to get the shot and avoid the DMD reflection.

#666 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

Good eyes and a good point.
    VERY different angles... the top one he is practically floating over the machine to get the shot and avoid the DMD reflection.

Wasn't intentional, just the shot I happened to take to just try and center the playfield (for reals). The pic with standard glass is older, from a few months back, when I wasn't even paying attention to this issue. I've since installed the train mod. Btw, the side rails are stock.

#667 3 years ago

Stern glass on my Addams.

I ain't rich so I don't see $300, or $250, or even $150 there. But happy painting and god bless

#668 3 years ago

Are these available at TPF?

#669 3 years ago

Here's the same angle. Im probably an anomaly but, I may have got an underfinished sheet. Certain angles are nice/better but, with this sheet, many just arent as markedly better as I expect they should be. Of course, out of box my sheet had issues with residue glue and, though I used the proper Invisi cleaner, I could never get the sheet looking truly clean and haze-free. I'll check with Craig today.

The last picture might help just best- see how the apron on TAF reflects on this sheet at the top but not much on Invisi from the Hobbit.

IMG_20170211_142224 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170325_074638 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170325_081230 (resized).jpg

#670 3 years ago

I'm honestly starting to think that $7 bent plastic is a WAY better investment.

#671 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I'm honestly starting to think that $7 bent plastic is a WAY better investment.

It always has been the best option. Better not only because it's 1000x's cheaper, but because it actually works.

#672 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It always has been the best option. Better not only because it's 1000x's cheaper, but because it actually works.

Does a great job at what it's designed for. Doesn't address any other reflection/clarity issues.

But if all that you're worried about is DMD glare (and having read several hundred of your posts on the topic I'm well aware that's all you care about) and you don't mind the look of a piece of plastic angled out above the playfield, that's the way to go.

#673 3 years ago

By underfinished, there is a haze to my sheet in the center. Though Im using the proper cleaning solution and got the glue off, this haze remains.

IMG_20170325_141846 (resized).jpg

#674 3 years ago

By underfinished, there is a haze to my sheet in the center. Though Im using the proper cleaning solution and got the glue off, this haze remains.

Did you try a little Sparkle glass cleaner?

I usually put the glass in my game upside down and rub it down with sparkle glass cleaner and a soft micro fiber cloth.
    Then I flip it over and do the same.

If the marks persist, ask for a replacement glass.

#675 3 years ago

I am genuinely struggle to see much difference between the with Stern HD glass and without Stern HD glass, it has dialled down the tranlite reflection a little in the middle but not much else. But like most mods its personal choice and sometimes its just cool having some cool

#676 3 years ago

Anti reflective glass in my opinion does 2 things:

1) reduces glare and reflection to a point, its not perfect, but it works pretty good in most cases.

2) the coating enhances to colors on the playfield. Its subtle, but it looks better. Some glass has a very slight purple filtering effect, others have a very slight green hue. The purple will make playfield colors Pop out more.

Other than the reflection/glare reduction, the slight filtering, appropriately chosen can make colors really pop out depending on the game colors.

#677 3 years ago

Could you breathe on the glass and take a picture then ? You have to hurry up before the visible steam disappears.
    This haze might be some residue from the transportation rolls on the tempering line, but this is just a first thought...

#678 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I truly don't think you have to "change" anything. Your glass has proven to be the best so far (suspect it remains as such)...just a strategic sale every now and then would get your product in more people's machine's, and create more excitement for the next time a "sale" popped up.
    Find a fiscal and time window that works, make it worthwhile for people to give it a go (like a deep discount just for orders placed through one weekend or something). I think you would be surprised that you could then "hold to your guns" the remaining periods, and people would be saving for the special events.
    Competition is healthy....you just have to get your stuff in front of more people on occasion. If you were to ever offer "buy one, get the other half off" for a weekend you would have backorders instantly. If you don't do it, someone certainly will.... (sorry..i'm part sales guy, now exec, and really enjoy your product).

Thank you for your well intentioned advice.
    My thoughts are not addressing the glass qualitywise. I´m playing with alternative ideas in regard of availability.

#679 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Thank you for your well intentioned advice.
    My thoughts are not addressing the glass qualitywise. I´m playing with alternative ideas in regard of availability.

Perfect!!!...that was the intent of my post...anxious to see what you come up with.....mark

#680 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Could you breathe on the glass and take a picture then ? You have to hurry up before the visible steam disappears.
    This haze might be some residue from the transportation rolls on the tempering line, but this is just a first thought...

Issue was addressed; this sheet's issue was an anomaly- didn't see it on any of the games with it at the show. Looks great in the games, pretty much identical to CPR except when my spot shines on it the color tone is purple instead of green, on Invisi.

#681 3 years ago

I finally realized that I have an obvious issue to potentially benefit from the fancy glass. I have bright led moving head stage lighting on top of my AC/DC which intermittently causes major glare which is fairly distracting. So I pulled the trigger and picked up a sheet at TPF. It seems to do a nice job on the glass reflection, however as the photo shows the reflections from the playfield and lower playfield window are still there. Practically speaking, that glare doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as it is "underneath" the ball.

Verdict: for this application, I think the glass has a meaningful impact and justifies the expense to me (I can't say no to AC/DC anyway I don't see myself getting it for my other games, however.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#682 3 years ago

I have moving head lighting as well. I could care less about the DMD glare as it doesn't affect game play. However, the overall glare, even without the moving head LEDs, is a problem in my room.

#683 3 years ago

What's the correct site for the PDI glass? Is this it?
    http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

#684 3 years ago
    Quoted from goldant:

What's the correct site for the PDI glass? Is this it?
    http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Yes.
    PDI stands for pinball decals inc.

#685 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Yes.
    PDI stands for pinball decals inc.

Thanks just purchased my first PDI glass .

#686 3 years ago
    Quoted from goldant:

Thanks just purchased my first PDI glass .

...but not your last.

#687 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...but not your last.

Man, isn't that the truth!!!

#688 3 years ago

Just got mine in the mail today. I have a strip of RGB LEDs up high on the wall above the games, and while it's great for ambiance, glare was particularly bad with my Space Shuttle due to the lower angle of the glass vs modern games. Took a chance and ordered a Stern AR glass, not knowing how much of a difference it would make, and WOW - it's just incredible! Made a HUGE difference! Here are some before and after photos. I realize the angle is slightly different, but the result is pretty representative of the difference it made regardless. Amazing.

Before: SpaceShuttleARGlassBefore.jpg
    After: SpaceShuttleARGlassAfter.jpg

#689 3 years ago

damn that's huuuuuuuuuuge. I might have to try this stuff out. Dammit. Is it going to be available at the ohio show - anyone know? I can check on the thread too.

My glare is really not the bottom of the table though - it's the back and it's due to the backglass mostly. Yes I know there are other ways to reduce but it seems like there are varying results with this glass with the last one looking really good.

#690 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

damn that's huuuuuuuuuuge.

Yeah it looks like Stern has the right stuff. That is a huge difference. I'd like to see some side-by-side pictures and video with PDI. Looks like Invisiglass is in trouble...

#691 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah it looks like Stern has the right stuff. That is a huge difference. I'd like to see some side-by-side pictures and video with PDI. Looks like Invisiglass is in trouble...

Yea i may get one piece of stern glass so i can test it against my other 2 brands. Id guess they all are gonna work about the same in my gamerooms since there isnt much difference between what i allready have. Curious why u say invisaglass is in trouble but not pdi ? If sterns is just as good for 60.00 less a sheet than y get anything but sterns?

#692 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea i may get one piece of stern glass so i can test it against my other 2 brands. Id guess they all are gonna work about the same in my gamerooms since there isnt much difference between what i allready have. Curious why u say invisaglass is in trouble but not pdi ? If sterns is just as good for 60.00 less a sheet than y get anything but sterns?

PDI is cheaper in Europe I though.

#693 3 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Just got mine in the mail today. I have a strip of RGB LEDs up high on the wall above the games, and while it's great for ambiance, glare was particularly bad with my Space Shuttle due to the lower angle of the glass vs modern games. Took a chance and ordered a Stern AR glass, not knowing how much of a difference it would make, and WOW - it's just incredible! Made a HUGE difference! Here are some before and after photos. I realize the angle is slightly different, but the result is pretty representative of the difference it made regardless. Amazing.
    Before:
    After:

That does look similar in performance to the Invisiglass I showed in Post #398 of my SM where the topper lighting glare is nearly eliminated:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/8

#694 3 years ago

Those comparison pics (regular vs. Stern HD) from andre060 are nicely made and accurate (viewing angle, light conditions, camera position). Of course the difference to regular sheets is amazing and thrilling, but it would be interesting to see a comparison between
    the three players in this market being (Invisiglass, PDI/Roman and Stern in alphabetical order).
    I´d like to give you just an idea on how I would compare glass if I were a newbie in glass, interested & curious and I would need some advice where to look at to understand how good an anti reflective glass performs.
    Please take a look at those arrows and markings I´ve added to the pic.
    Just from seeing I would like to say that this (intensity of reflection) would not happen with my product and I`d love to see what bigd1979 might say when he compares the new Stern HD Glass with his other two anti reflective sheets.
    Until we haven´t compared the glass here my thoughts are nothing more than my 50 Cents I´m contributing to this conversation.

Space Shuttle (resized).jpg

#695 3 years ago

The best their is $200 shipped.

https://pinside.com/pinball/my-biz

Straight from the scorch from Germany!!!

#696 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballpal:

So, you are selling PDI/Roman Glass at $200 flat, shipping included?
    Any discounts for multiple sheets?

#697 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

So, you are selling PDI/Roman Glass at $200 flat, shipping included?
    Any discounts for multiple sheets?

Also any discounts if we pick up?

#698 3 years ago

Today is April 1st

#699 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballpal:

"Best Pinball glass their is. The same has PDI glass only less inexpensive.

What is that supposed to mean?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 7,699.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 12.00
    Tools
    Troxel Repair
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 79.99
    Apparel - Unisex
    PinShades
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside