(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.
    #501 7 years ago

How do I contact him.....??

#502 7 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

What about speakers lights??

I don't have speaker lights...don't know what to tell you there. Is there a way to mount the lights on the speaker farther back?

#503 7 years ago

I just put his email address in my post on the last page.

[email protected]

#506 7 years ago

Note: The picture of my Ghostbusters is with PDI glass too.

#507 7 years ago

So am I safe to say that there is no glass that gets rid of the glare coming off the spraker lights and DMD???

That is what these $8 glare guards do.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3301

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#508 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Another option to eliminate BB glare for pre-Spike Stern games is the LED panel with the auto-dimming feature (pretty cheap at $65 and gets rid of that lousy fluorescent tube), GI OCD could be used to do it for supported games as well but now you're back up to $150.

any game I have that has bulbs in the backbox. I pull out all of them except 6-8 of them. Space them out so I have even distribution of light. most people don't even know 80% of the bulbs are gone. For tube games, I get the LED panel, but modify it so you can dim both the color changing and the white. Reduce it down to about 10-20 % makes a world of difference.

#509 7 years ago

I have 5 sheets of PDI. I think it's an amazing product.

Does it totally eliminate the glare from the DMD and backbox... uh, no. But who gives a Crap??!!!

It makes the MOST IMPORTANT area of the playfield, the area from midway down the playfield to the flippers look incredibly clear.

If the greatly reduced glare from the DMD, which slightly hampers your view up the ramp returns or backboard art is of concern to you, then buy an $8 piece of bent plastic.

I'm going to order a few sheets of this new Stern glass (probably not 14!), and I expect to be extremely happy with it.

Eyes on the prize, guys.

#510 7 years ago

Thanks...i am going to get 4 sheets....of PDI and thanks to everyone's help

#511 7 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have 5 sheets of PDI. I think it's an amazing product.
    Does it totally eliminate the glare from the DMD and backbox... uh, no. But who gives a Crap??!!!
    It makes the MOST IMPORTANT area of the playfield, the area from midway down the playfield to the flippers look incredibly clear.
    If the greatly reduced glare from the DMD, which slightly hampers your view up the ramp returns or backboard art is of concern to you, then buy an $8 piece of bent plastic.
    I'm going to order a few sheets of this new Stern glass (probably not 14!), and I expect to be extremely happy with it.
    Eyes on the prize, guys.

I was liking this...except when he crack me on the 14 part.....ouch....that hurt
    ....lol

#512 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and unsightly.

Dang it Boob, don't make my bent plastic self conscious.

#513 7 years ago

The bent plastic is great stuff! Have had it on all my games.

#514 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

yeah depending on the lighting it's pretty sweet. I bought one and it helps slightly when the lights are on. When it's dark in the room I absolutely need it.

#515 7 years ago

Hey @richiewrench,

if you still have your Stern sheets available, I`d offer you or alternatively anybody else a deal ?

You ship one Stern HD Glass to me (Germany) and I´ll return one sheet of mine in exchange.

#516 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

same. Nobody knows it's there until you point it out.

#517 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Hey richiewrench,
    if you still have your Stern sheets available, I`d offer you or alternatively anybody else a deal ?
    You ship one Stern HD Glass to me (Germany) and I´ll return one sheet of mine in exchange.

IMG_1232 (resized).JPGIMG_1232 (resized).JPG

#518 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

When Roman finds someone else that can distribute in the USA, maybe we can get a bulk order in and have it delivered to the VFW show. I would buy a PDI sheet from that show ... anyone else?

Yes.

#519 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I put it on my EMs.

#520 7 years ago

Can someone take a close up of the bent plastic installed? Does it detract from the look of the game?

#521 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Does it detract from the look of the game?

You can't see it when you're playing because of the angle your viewing it at. Doesn't look "bad" if you like to sit around nd stare at games.

#522 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Can someone take a close up of the bent plastic installed? Does it detract from the look of the game?

From the front you will likely hardly notice it. From the side this shows it: (edit: not one of my games, not my house)

d4433ff2fd6c8b6bc41b9dd72625a3cf3f0482e8 (resized).jpgd4433ff2fd6c8b6bc41b9dd72625a3cf3f0482e8 (resized).jpg

#523 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

20170311_163631 (resized).jpg20170311_163631 (resized).jpg

#524 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

20170311_163903 (resized).jpg20170311_163903 (resized).jpg

#525 7 years ago

I have dimmed all my backbox lighting, either with some electrical tape or on Spike they allow you to reduce the leds. That makes a huge impact on glass glare and reflections.

I also use bent plastic for dmd glare.

#526 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I had one and just ordered more for the rest of my games......they all have "no key" coin boxes, "magnetic cupholders" and "bent plastic".

#527 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

From the front you will likely hardly notice it. From the side this shows it:

whoa, does that look like shit. Better sell that game. With that gaudy piece of plastic on there. Stands out like a sore thumb.

notice: you probably should have circled it in red in photoshop because most people won't be able to see it in the pic.

#528 7 years ago

Okay...i will buy two...JUST TWO PDI glass and see how it is...how do I get those??

Just remember, PDI glass will reduce glare from the backbox and DMD, not eliminate it. What PDI does that's pretty amazing, though, is reduce all ambient reflections, both from above and from below the playfield, which has the end effect of making it look like you've got no glass installed. I've got a sheet on a game next to others with (new, clean) conventional glass, and the difference in clarity is subtle but very noticeable. Value is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but to me it's worth it. Just don't expect it to entirely eliminate backbox and DMD reflections, or you'll end up disappointed like Neo.

Roman, I really hope you line up new distributors in the US that can bring the cost comparable to what's charged in Europe. You'll sell A LOT more glass if you can do that!

#529 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Didn't even notice them from the side the only thing I noticed was that mighty fine looking Goldeneye you have hiding behind your JP.

#530 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Didn't even notice them from the side the only thing I noticed was that mighty fine looking Goldeneye you have hiding behind your JP.

Not my picture.

#531 7 years ago

@bigd1979, looking at those pics of yours I think you really need to be buying the new Stern Bent Plastic with Anti-Reflective coating. There's just too damn much glare projecting from the playfield onto the underside of those generic bent plastics.

And don't forget to replace the glass in that cabinet door in the second pic with AR glass. How can you live with yourself man!!

#532 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

And while I'm offering suggestions, @dcfan, you need to put a really big bent plastic on that window of yours for guests watching from the side while you play JP.

#533 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

And while I'm offering suggestions, dcfan, you need to put a really big bent plastic on that window of yours for guests watching from the side while you play JP.

I get that you are joking around, but it is not my picture. I was only posting what I found on the internet to show the glare guard on a game.

#534 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

bigd1979, looking at those pics of yours I think you really need to be buying the new Stern Bent Plastic with Anti-Reflective coating. There's just too damn much glare projecting from the playfield onto the underside of those generic bent plastics.
    And don't forget to replace the glass in that cabinet door in the second pic with AR glass. How can you live with yourself man!!

I know its really terrible ..... i have top men working on a solution.....

#535 7 years ago

Thanks...i am going to get 4 sheets....of PDI and thanks to everyone's help

Let us know if Pinball decals let's you return all 4 sheets.

I love how you jump right over the $7 solution everyone is offering and dive right into the $300 one that is essentially the same as the one that failed you.

#536 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

I love how you jump right over the $7 solution everyone is offering and dive right into the $300 one that is essentially the same as the one that failed you.

Personally, I don't find the DMD reflection to be the primary issue for me - at least not on my machine. The reflection of the DMD doesn't obscure the playfield in anyway on my machine. The problem for me is the overhead can lighting in my room, my topper lighting and the backglass lighting.

#537 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I just took a couple pictures for comparison between Invisiglass and regular glass.
    Spiderman has a lit topper and you can see how the haze is all over the regular glass making it hard to clearly see the details of the playfield.
    Standard glass:

Invisiglass:

Looks like a big difference to me.

#538 7 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Personally, I don't find the DMD reflection to be the primary issue for me - at least not on my machine. The reflection of the DMD doesn't obscure the playfield in anyway on my machine. The problem for me is the overhead can lighting in my room, my topper lighting and the backglass lighting.

guess it depends on how your gameroom is. For me, the DMD and backbox glare is the only glare I have. Room lighting is always in the center so it never gives me glare on my glass. The games themselves are the only issues, and reduced bulbs in the backbox and the $7 bent plastic cures that. couldn't be a cheaper resolution.

#539 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Let us know if Pinball decals let's you return all 4 sheets.

Because some people consider that ugly.

#540 7 years ago

That's why I spent $250ish on 15 fixtures and 32' of track lighting. I was able to move the light source behind the player...with no glare at all.

Dimmable Par38 15W LED floods are $62 a case of 16.

For the price of about 1 sheet of PDI..all 30 of my games are glare free. Actually that's a lie. I have the Bent Plastics on them as well.

Quoted from konjurer:

#541 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I know its really terrible ..... i have top men working on a solution.....

Who?

#542 7 years ago

Top.. men...

#544 7 years ago

Thanks for the photo, but I wanted to see how the plastic lip physically looks installed, and not what it does to reduce the glare.
    Can you take another pic?

#545 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Thanks for the photo, but I wanted to see how the plastic lip physically looks installed, and not what it does to reduce the glare.
    Can you take another pic?

The lip of the plastic slides under the rear glass channel, between the glass and the channel.

Go to about the 40 second mark in this video:

#546 7 years ago

Regarding bent plastic. Am i the only one who forgets it's there when i remove the playfield glass? Every time.

#547 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Regarding bent plastic. Am i the only one who forgets it's there when i remove the playfield glass? Every time.

Nope. I drop my glare guard on to the back of the playfield at least half the times I remove the glass.

#548 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Roman, I really hope you line up new distributors in the US that can bring the cost comparable to what's charged in Europe. You'll sell A LOT more glass if you can do that!

Thank you for your kind and motivating words.
    This will be very challenging in the US since there is a lot of misleading and dishonest information about anti reflective
    pinball glass around and the community needs to be informed too with realistic comparisons.
    Some pinball makers use the hype to push their products into the scene without
    providing any technical glass specs at all. It´s more irritating than helping.
    Like Denzel used to say: If you don´t read the newspaper, you´re uninformed...if you do read it you´re misinformed.

Please question everything and also the information I´m providing.

#549 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Nope. I drop my glare guard on to the back of the playfield at least half the times I remove the glass.

if you put a strip of scotch tape along the guard and the H channel, keeps it from falling off or dropping into the game when you pull the glass off.

#550 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Haha I "found" my missing wide guard for my TZ just the other day; in the cabinet of my TZ

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass/page/11?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.