3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 834 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Bing_Party
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 73 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Somewhat unrelated but as some others and I have pointed out the DMD glare eliminators from comet work wonders. I imagine using one of these in conjunction with anti glare glass would help significantly. I have attached some before and after pictures with the glare eliminators for reference. Please note this is on standard glass.
    Someone also mentioned the piece that pinball life sells. I have no experience with it, but I'm sure it works well too. I just think it's kind of ugly. With this product from comet you won't even know it's there after it's installed.

That's impressive. Is there enough to put on the backglass b/c the website only mentions DMD.

#452 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

That's impressive. Is there enough to put on the backglass b/c the website only mentions DMD.

No

#453 3 years ago

The one thing that anyone considering buying any brand of "improved glass" should keep in mind is that you can always keep it if you sell a game and then put it in whatever you buy next (wide / standard body being the only limiting factor). When I bought PDI for my games I kept all the old stuff so I can put in anything I sell, if it were a permanent mod to a game the price would be a lot harder to swallow unless you planned to keep the game forever or would get that money back when you sell the game IMO. I can control the lighting in my room pretty well but it's still a really nice upgrade to your games and I've spent more for less when it comes to pinball plenty of times.

#454 3 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

It´s not

I can go to bed now because I thought all the time you were blaming me for not providing facts.
    But how could you trust those who were hoping and trying to develop something and didn`t succeed ?

i'm not blaming. i'm just saying from following the initial design, ramped up expectations, which seemed to justify the price they said it would cost to make. When it didn't reach those expectations, those of us that heard about what it was suppose to do and failed, were highly disappointed. that's all i'm saying.

#455 3 years ago

Is there a chance that those who have already purchased a Stern HD Glass make a short video like this one ?

It´s made within 5 minutes and you would have a very good estimation on how it performs in a game.

Packed and stacked boxes with pinball glass are nice to see, but I can imagine that the interested would like
    to see a 101 comparison with more grip.

I´d like to make a video and lab test but there is no Stern HD Glass available over here yet and I don´t know if it will shipped with Premium/LE games in the future.

#456 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Somewhat unrelated but as some others and I have pointed out the DMD glare eliminators from comet work wonders. I imagine using one of these in conjunction with anti glare glass would help significantly. I have attached some before and after pictures with the glare eliminators for reference. Please note this is on standard glass.
    Someone also mentioned the piece that pinball life sells. I have no experience with it, but I'm sure it works well too. I just think it's kind of ugly. With this product from comet you won't even know it's there after it's installed.

My 2 cents. Ambient lighting, Personal Height and Stance, are a Huge factor as to how all of these "appear" to people, and to the camera.

The DMD Glare Eliminator from Comet, is the first thing I do to any game coming in my home, except for color screens.

In my Pin Room, DMD Glare is a huge problem, Even as I adjust ambient with a dimmer switch to my taste and overhead glare.

I cant recommend more highly this room "mod"for everyones tastes, glare, LEDs, etc. Try a Dimmer Switch!

Anyway, the DMD Glare Eliminator is anti louver technology, and it is a thick, non flexible screen. There are others out there, I have not seen them perform better than Comet, IMO.

To do a whole backbox in this, they are available in Europe, but at $200-$300, it makes more sense to buy your favorite invisible glass.

Lastly, we have a village member in the Glass Industry testing this glass as well, as he has a below $100 glass product, New, that is "almost" as good as others.....

Personally, with a DMD Glare Eliminator, or color screen, and my ambient lights controlled, I dont have a need or see a huge difference to switch from Standard Glass to anything else.

That being said, in a Room that has Sunlight, or garage with fluorescent, other rooms, I can see the difference more noticeably.
    Either the light source, or Back box reflection. Turn the game around...pull the shades down, and its all different........

#457 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Lastly, we have a village member in the Glass Industry testing this glass as well, as he has a below $100 glass product, New, that is "almost" as good as others.....

Id like to hear more about this...

#458 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Id like to hear more about this...

Ha was thinking the same thing

#459 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It's not the village idiot, correct?

#460 3 years ago

So this is pretty much a swing and a miss for stern glass?

#461 3 years ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

I don't think we really know how it compares to Invisiglass and PDI/Roman yet.

#462 3 years ago

Has anyone used the Comet dmd eliminator with a LED colorDMD?

And more on topic, got a sheet of PDI a few months ago and love it. Interested in the Stern glass if it's similar quality.

#463 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Has anyone used the Comet dmd eliminator with a LED colorDMD?
    And more on topic, got a sheet of PDI a few months ago and love it. Interested in the Stern glass if it's similar quality.

Yes - I have a Comet DMD Glare Eliminator installed on a ColorDMD LED display in my Tommy machine. It not only eliminates the DMD glare on the glass but also reduces the "piercing" quality (as some people have put it) of the LED display and makes it easier on the eyes. With the right brightness and contrast adjustments it looks perfect to me.

Still tempted to try out the new Stern glass...

#464 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My 2 cents.
    To do a whole backbox in this, they are available in Europe, but at $200-$300, it makes more sense to buy your favorite invisible glass.

Would love a link to this. I would buy this as you could take it off and change games if needed and it would eliminate all of the backglass glare.

#465 3 years ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

Nope.
    We love ours.

#466 3 years ago

Another option to eliminate BB glare for pre-Spike Stern games is the LED panel with the auto-dimming feature (pretty cheap at $65 and gets rid of that lousy fluorescent tube), GI OCD could be used to do it for supported games as well but now you're back up to $150.

#467 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Another option to eliminate BB glare for pre-Spike Stern games is the LED panel with the auto-dimming feature (pretty cheap at $65 and gets rid of that lousy fluorescent tube), GI OCD could be used to do it for supported games as well but now you're back up to $150.

I often wonder why they just don't turn them off when the start button is pressed.

#468 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

I often wonder why they just don't turn them off when the start button is pressed.

These are the way to go. You can set the brightness both during game and attract.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/backbox-kits/4587457160

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

These are the way to go. You can set the brightness both during game and attract.
    http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/backbox-kits/4587457160

I have that, makes a world of difference. Great price too.

#470 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I have that, makes a world of difference. Great price too.

Nice product but It would be cheaper if the pin was already coded with it from day one.

#471 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Nice product but It would be cheaper if the pin was already coded with it from day one.

Coded to dim the fluorescent bulb?

#472 3 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/antiglare/index.html

Locally, Our Friend has decided he doesnt want to be "in the business" of shipping glass, emails. etc.
    (On this, I dont blame him)

But, ill grab some personally, and chat about it. There are other "Ways".

Others here in Florida, may have already picked theirs up, so additional info will come out.

#473 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

You are correct on both counts...if your near this VFW show, bring 2 sheets of PDI with you ( I'll buy of course) and I'll take you to one of the best BBQ joints around ...but we can't eat it around the glass...too messy....

Please share the BBQ spot, headed to Asheville in June.

#474 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Coded to dim the fluorescent bulb?

Coded to turn off during game play.

#475 3 years ago

Well -- UPDATE on my Stern HD Glass -- My Dad return ALL 14 pieces and I was happy to say that at first they did not want to refund my money - but thanks to John with Stern and the Upper Management they did take them back because they have not yet announced that there was going to be a NO RETURN POLICY on the glass --

I should have not got so many at one time -- That was totally my fault and I only open 5 boxes but they did take them all back and they thank me for all the business that I do with them. So for that...Thanks to Stern for working we me on this return.

It was not that I was not totally happy -- there is a difference it was just that I was wanting the speaker lights and the DMD lights to be like gone or nearly gone - and there was really NO DIFFERENCE on that aspect.

Thanks Stern -- and thanks to Joe @ Pinball Star -- Glad I did not have stick JOE on them.

#476 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Please share the BBQ spot, headed to Asheville in June.

I like tomato based...the best ( and nationally recognized) is right here in Asheville " 12 Bones" . It's been a presidential stop, and the BBQ is unbelievably good.

True NC BBQ is vinegar based, however ( I don't like it personally), and the best without a doubt ( also nationally rated) is the " Lexington BBQ" located in Lexington ( figured I'd throw that in, because it's a solid 2 hour drive east of Asheville).

People make both a travel stop, so sometimes the wait can be long, but usually not too bad...pricing reasonable.
    I've been to both several times.....

Safe travels and enjoy when you head this way...mark

#477 3 years ago
    Quoted from RichieWrench:

Well -- UPDATE on my Stern HD Glass -- My Dad return ALL 14 pieces and I was happy to say that at first they did not want to refund my money - but thanks to John with Stern and the Upper Management they did take them back because they have not yet announced that there was going to be a NO RETURN POLICY on the glass --
    I should have not got so many at one time -- That was totally my fault and I only open 5 boxes but they did take them all back and they thank me for all the business that I do with them. So for that...Thanks to Stern for working we me on this return.
    It was not that I was not totally happy -- there is a difference it was just that I was wanting the speaker lights and the DMD lights to be like gone or nearly gone - and there was really NO DIFFERENCE on that aspect.
    Thanks Stern -- and thanks to Joe @ Pinball Star -- Glad I did not have stick JOE on them.

You did well, and truly have to give Stern props on this for taking these back. As you mentioned ( and believe the case with the other 2 companies) PF glass is non returnable. Bullet dodged, as you definitely had some $$$ on the table there...

#478 3 years ago

Slow down Wrench. 14 pieces wtf?

#479 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

LMAO Ice!!!....you stated what I'm sure we were all thinking.....

#480 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yah...yah...okay...I know...i was hoping that this would get rid of the glare i have on my exiting glass...most have speaker lights and color DMD. I was trying to make it in all one trip. I learned a lesson.

#481 3 years ago

Yah...yah...okay...I know...i was hoping that this would get rid of the glare i have on my exiting glass...most have speaker lights and color DMD. I was trying to make it in all one trip. I learned a lesson.

Don't spend that money yet. I'm considering a GoFundMe to get you one sheet of PDI. Then you can use your returned funds to get another 13.

Thank me later.

#482 3 years ago

So am I safe to say that there is no glass that gets rid of the glare coming off the spraker lights and DMD???

JJP did not work either...little better that Sterns HD glass but not by much...still see reflections

#483 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't spend that money yet. I'm considering a GoFundMe to get you one sheet of PDI. Then you can use your returned funds to get another 13.
    Thank me later.

Now that is funny.....

#484 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank me later.

I would spend the money if it works. I do not mind that itnis higher...just want to eliminate the glare..without using a deflector shield if at all possible.

#485 3 years ago

I would spend the money if it works. I do not mind that itnis higher...just want to eliminate the glare..without using a deflector shield if at all possible.

All I can tell you is that at one point, I had three machines side by side. One with regular, one with Invisiglass, and one with PDI. It was clear (pardon the pun) to me as well as my wife which was which. I immediately sold the Invisiglass and got all PDI, and visitors comment all the time. There really is a difference...I just wished I'd filmed it when I had the chance. I really think you should try one (hell, get two...they ship together). I think you'll be very happy.

#486 3 years ago

without using a deflector shield if at all possible.

Nothing beats the deflector shield / glare guard IMO. I have them on all of my pins. Cheap and effective.

#487 3 years ago

Take Boobs advice and buy ONE sheet of PDI. The stuff is definitely better. Depending on your playing angle, nothing eliminates all reflection, but this stuff is really good. Put it on, live with it awhile ( you'll have plain glass to compare it to now), and you'll love it.

#488 3 years ago

Haha. Yep, first lesson of pinball, have fun actually playing your pins, everything else is BS in grand scheme of things

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Take Boobs advice and buy ONE sheet of PDI. The stuff is definitely better. Depending on your playing angle, nothing eliminates all reflection, but this stuff is really good. Put it on, live with it awhile ( you'll have plain glass to compare it to now), and you'll love it.

Nah, if you're gonna get one buy two - the price break on shipping for the second one makes too much sense - if you don't like it someone local will probably buy it from you.

Edit - But DO NOT expect Joey to take it back if you're not happy with it and forget about return shipping, etc.

#490 3 years ago

So am I safe to say that there is no glass that gets rid of the glare coming off the spraker lights and DMD???
    JJP did not work either...little better that Sterns HD glass but not by much...still see reflections

You need a DMD glare eliminator. I use the one from Comet Pinball. If it's a Plasma DMD, I put it directly on the plasma screen. If it's the new LED, I put it on the inside plastic. https://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

If you want to make your own, just use this: amazon.com link »

Just make sure you rotate the film 90 degrees and use doubled sided tape.

IMG_2089 (resized).jpg

#491 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

All I can tell you is that at one point, I had three machines side by side. One with regular, one with Invisiglass, and one with PDI. It was clear (pardon the pun) to me as well as my wife which was which. I immediately sold the Invisiglass and got all PDI, and visitors comment all the time. There really is a difference...I just wished I'd filmed it when I had the chance. I really think you should try one (hell, get two...they ship together). I think you'll be very happy.

Okay...i will buy two...JUST TWO PDI glass and see how it is...how do I get those??

#492 3 years ago

Buy 1 piece of this and DMD glare is gone ( 1 sheet makes 3 DMD sized sheets). Doesn't look good on colordmd though, and doesn't help backbox translate glare.....I suggest Bourbon....

2 sheets of PDI is cheaper, shipping wise, but he won't take it back

IMG_1579 (resized).JPG

#493 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Nothing beats the deflector shield / glare guard IMO. I have them on all of my pins. Cheap and effective.

...and unsightly.

#494 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Nah, if you're gonna get one buy two - the price break on shipping for the second one makes too much sense - if you don't like it someone local will probably buy it from you.

Agreed....beat me to my post

#495 3 years ago

Okay...i will buy two...JUST TWO PDI glass and see how it is...how do I get those??

Joey at PDI

#496 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You need a DMD glare eliminator. I use the one from Comet Pinball. If it's a Plasma DMD, I put it directly on the plasma screen. If it's the new LED, I put it on the inside plastic. https://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm
    If you want to make your own, just use this: amazon.com link »
    Just make sure you rotate the film 90 degrees and use doubled sided tape.

What about speakers lights??

#497 3 years ago

The new Stern LCD doesn't need a glare eliminator.

#498 3 years ago

http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Email him first to see if they're in stock. I had to wait like two months.

joey@pinballdecals.com

#499 3 years ago

What about speakers lights??

Well played, my friend...well played.

#500 3 years ago

If you were closer I'd take them from you if you didn't like them ( I need 2) , but as stated above, someone local will probably buy them from you if you don't like them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 265.00
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    There are 834 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside