(Topic ID: 183274)

Stern Pinball Anti-glare glass

By DCFAN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190422_195834595 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190422_195910241 (resized).jpg
    E14BE738-F90B-4325-B14A-1DC8F212E544 (resized).jpeg
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc2. (resized).PNG
    Decor Glass Specialties Inc. (resized).PNG
    Screenshot_20190420-190336_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190307_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190300_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190246_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190420-190239_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20190419_083554 (resized).jpg
    inspiration (resized).jpg
    Sparkle (resized).jpg
    F646DE81-1C98-4F69-ABED-C74D50468555 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3030 (resized).JPG

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.
    #1 7 years ago

I don't see a thread already. It appears Stern finally has their own reduced glare glass at a cheaper price than JJP. It will be interesting to see a comparison of the glare suppression of the brands.

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?ProductId=6299062

#2 7 years ago

Is that the same as PDI glass?

#3 7 years ago

Cheaper than PDI. I'll be interested to see the comparisons.

#4 7 years ago

Just saw this press release on another site. If performance is comparable to PDI and Invisiglass, then I'm glad I held off on purchasing the 4-5 sheets I need for my collection.

#5 7 years ago

Do you have to clean this type of optical glass a certain way? I prefer window cleaner and to just be done with it.

#6 7 years ago

Going to close this one since we already have one open for this topic.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Do you have to clean this type of optical glass a certain way? I prefer window cleaner and to just be done with it.

Just don't use window cleaner with ammonia... search the forum for other threads about this, but ammonia can be harmful to the plastics used in pinball games. Even if not in direct contact, I believe the fumes can degrade the plastics over time.

#8 7 years ago

Weird....mod had this thread 'closed' for a bit. ...I was like...why?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

You don't want to use ammonia based cleaner on it. The easiest and cheap cleaner is a 50-50 mix of distilled water and rubbing alcohol in a cheap squirt bottle.

#11 7 years ago

ohh...let me find the other then.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Going to close this one since we already have one open for this topic.

Please post the link. Many of us can't find it.

#13 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-playfield-glass
    It was like 10 down from the top.

Weird. This thread won't close now. Oh well.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the cleaning tips guys.

#15 7 years ago

Thanks. It could use a more specific title referring to glare.

#16 7 years ago

$240 a sheet

#17 7 years ago

well, the thread is now thriving so might as well keep it open.

#18 7 years ago

I started the other thread just about the same time.

Sorry to duplicate!

#19 7 years ago

Better to drop one….

#20 7 years ago

I wonder if they will run any specials like JJP. Buy one get second one half off. Or would that be cutting too much into their code development money.

#21 7 years ago

Cool. Looks like the price of premiums and LEs just went up another few hundred bucks.

#22 7 years ago

I'm surprised Stern announced this....without anyone here giving a hint it was coming. If it's comparable to PDI, at this price I'm tempted.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Cool. Looks like the price of premiums and LEs just went up another few hundred bucks.

HA - you wish. I bet it will be included with LE only. Want it on Prem or PRo? Get ready to pony up some $$'s.

#24 7 years ago

I just picked up invisiglass for my remaining three machines at $265 a pop. Of course Stern released something comparable for a cheaper price two days after. I also just picked up a Tron... you're all welcome for the incoming VE, I can't win haha.

#25 7 years ago

I just picked up invisiglass for my remaining three machines at $265 a pop. Of course Stern released something comparable for a cheaper price two days after. I also just picked up a Tron... you're all welcome for the incoming VE, I can't win haha.

LOL I'm in the same boat. I just bought a Tron two weeks ago and paid the seller $300 extra for a sheet of Invisiglass. Oh well.

#26 7 years ago

Except Stern being Stern we don't know how it stacks up against PDI and Invisiglass. This may be a blessing in disguise for you.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Except Stern being Stern we don't know how it stacks up against PDI and Invisiglass. This may be a blessing in disguise for you.

Agreed, this is Stern, I wouldn't buy one sheet until we see a review

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Agreed, this is Stern, I wouldn't buy one sheet until we see a review

Yeah, because if the clear starts lifting off the glass or there's any ghosting, this could be interesting ....

#29 7 years ago

Dear all,

FYI: I may add that I`ve spoken to Gary nearly 8 years ago to use my glass in their games.
    He made it clear that this is an aftermarket product - no interest.
    A few months back I wrote Jody to think about using my glass in their Premium and LE games
    since Stern started to sell aftermarket products too and the Euro is weak at the moment.
    No progress here.
    The pic with the glass explained is full of discrepances, starting with the glass thickness (2.5mm) + coating.
    So the coating (whatever material it is) has to be at least 1mm thick on each side to fit the games properly without
    rattling.
    If this information is just a sample for the interested to understand the coated layers better and the dims are just there
    to have at least something... so be it.
    Please stay calm and wait until someone has seen and compared the glass with others which are available.
    I hope that unbiased information will be available soon.

Roman

#30 7 years ago

I'm interested to see/hear as well.

#31 7 years ago

But Stern says it has 99% UV blocking, less than 1% light reflection and optimized glass for true color transmission, over 97 light transmission. Only $240 this must be a great product.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Dear all,
    FYI: I may add that I`ve spoken to Gary nearly 8 years ago to use my glass in their games.
    He made it clear that this is an aftermarket product - no interest.
    A few months back I wrote Jody to think about using my glass in their Premium and LE games
    since Stern started to sell aftermarket products too and the Euro is weak at the moment.
    No progress here.
    The pic with the glass explained is full of discrepances, starting with the glass thickness (2.5mm) + coating.
    So the coating (whatever material it is) has to be at least 1mm thick on each side to fit the games properly without
    rattling.
    If this information is just a sample for the interested to understand the coated layers better and the dims are just there
    to have at least something... so be it.
    Please stay calm and wait until someone has seen and compared the glass with others which are available.
    I hope that unbiased information will be available soon.
    Roman

The smart money is on waiting to see if the product functionality matches up well with the competition.
    If it does function well then the market price, at least in the US, is being set by Stern.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

But Stern says it has 99% UV blocking, less than 1% light reflection and optimized glass for true color transmission, over 97 light transmission. Only $240 this must be a great product.

Some people also believed that BM66 was an "innovative" even though it was a recycled design and prior used mechanisms from other games of the past.
    8 years ago, certain individuals at Stern denied that the home market was the viable sales priority, and continued to reassure operators that they were at the forefront of the manufacturers support. This occurred right up to just a few years ago in words, even though most knew otherwise.

Money changes people's opinions as Stern attempts to retain market supremacy in many areas.
    Time shows the changes, but marketing advertisement is not a method of acceptable evaluation.

A technical review will discover the true results.
    I look forward to the comparison.

#34 7 years ago

Any chance a vendor will be selling these at PAGG or CAX?

#35 7 years ago

I've got 2 sheets of PDI arriving tomorrow. Be curious to see reviews once this posts... if it's as good and cheaper, that's good for all. Or will cause some competition around the pricing. (Maybe)

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from chrisnack:

I've got 2 sheets of PDI arriving tomorrow. Be curious to see reviews once this posts... if it's as good and cheaper, that's good for all. Or will cause some competition around the pricing. (Maybe)

What was your shipping charge on the glass? Looks like Stern is in the $45 range. I'd like to know how total cost (shipped) compares.

#37 7 years ago

Follow the white rabbit...hmm...again...please take a look here

http://tru-vue.com/solution/museum-glass/

then klick "Technical Info & Resources".

Deja Vu ?

Assuming Stern Pinball uses Tru Vue`s Museum Glass then there are several questions I'd ask before purchasing.

1. What is the total thickness of the glass ?
    2. Is it tempered ?
    3. How does the glass behave if it's elevated ?

FYI: Museum glass is used in face-on applications and it's not tempered. Acrylic glass is shatterfree.

Roman

#38 7 years ago

Yeah, I reverse image searched Stern's picture and it's Museum Glass. There are tons of distributors around the United States for it. Check to see what it would cost locally for the same thing and skip shipping and Stern's (possible) markup.

Edit: If it's not Museum Glass, then Stern shouldn't have taken the image from the site for Museum Glass. Either they jacked the image for the exact product, or they are using another product's image for their glass, which could be different.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

Sorry I suck at being sarcastic in e-mails.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Follow the white rabbit...hmm...again...please take a look here
    http://tru-vue.com/solution/museum-glass/
    then klick "Technical Info & Resources".
    Deja Vu ?
    Assuming Stern Pinball uses Tru Vue`s Museum Glass then there are several questions I'd ask before purchasing.
    1. What is the total thickness of the glass ?
    2. Is it tempered ?
    3. How does the glass behave if it's elevated ?
    FYI: Museum glass is used in face-on applications and it's not tempered. Acrylic glass is shatterfree.
    Roman

I can't imagine them using non-tempered glass. That would be a huge liability risk. One person having an artery severed and Stern could be be ruined.

I would guess that Stern is having custom sheets made at the correct thickness and tempered.

#41 7 years ago

"Is it tempered ?"
    I believe I called about this glass (Truvue) a few years ago and it was not tempered. Most of the glass used for pictures / paintings will not be tempered. Stern's price point is probably spot on for resale. I buy normal tempered 21"x43"x3/16" for around $60.

Stern has a long list of distributors. Sometimes distributors will bring your order to a show/expo free of charge. Might be the way to save some $$.

I'm also thinking the new HD glass will come standard on LEs and maybe Premiums. Maybe be an option on Pros. With the new Sterns you wont need to buy a ColorDMD any more with Stern's new display ($200 adder to old price).

We can always hope.

Has anyone ever sourced a tempered anti-reflective glass from a supplier who isn't a Pinball parts distributor? I doubt they're making this glass exclusively for Stern but I could be wrong.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I'm also thinking the new HD glass will come standard on LEs and maybe Premiums.

In your dreams! Considering what happened last year with all the cutbacks, no way in heck.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I can't imagine them using non-tempered glass. That would be a huge liability risk. One person having an artery severed and Stern could be be ruined.
    I would guess that Stern is having custom sheets made at the correct thickness and tempered.

If the product description from Sterns store is exactly the glass which is sold, then its not tempered.
    Tru Vue is not offering tempered glass as far as I`m aware of and
    2.5mm thick glass would shatter in the oven during the tempering process if the information is correct.
    Maybe someone can call Stern and ask the questions I mentioned above.
    I`m biased and I can only provide investigative questions.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

If the product description from Sterns store is exactly the glass which is sold, then its not tempered.
    2.5mm thick glass would shatter in the oven during the tempering process if the information is correct.

Either it's Tru Vue and it's not tempered, or it's not Tru Vue and Stern lazily "borrowed" Tru Vue's product image to use as their own and it might be tempered and at different specs than what the image shows.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

In your dreams! Considering what happened last year with all the cutbacks, no way in heck.

If you are thinking they will be included in the same price, then you are right, that will never happen. But don't think for a minute they won't throw it in and then use it to jack the price on an LE another $300.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Either it's Tru Vue and it's not tempered, or it's not Tru Vue and Stern lazily "borrowed" Tru Vue's product image to use as their own and it might be tempered and at different specs than what the image shows.

Or, the third option is Tru Vue has come up with a product that is tempered and is not on their website. Maybe they developed it just for Stern and that is why they are using the image. I have no way of knowing, but there are more options.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Or, the third option is Tru Vue has come up with a product that is tempered and is not on their website. Maybe they developed it just for Stern and that is why they are using the image. I have no way of knowing, but there are more options.

That's still the second option though, because Stern's image shows it as 2.5mm thick. That's around half the thickness of actual pinball playfield glass.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Would 2.5 mm even work in pinball machine glass channels? It seems way too thin. I have to suspect it will be a custom made product by the glass company for Stern.

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying any until the details are known.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I certainly wouldn't recommend buying any until the details are known.

Dude, remember your audience.

#50 7 years ago

Per Stern FB it is tempered.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-anti-glare-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.