Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201205161503030.kleeenex-portfolio.jpg
    BEYOTCH.jpg
    Fthis.gif
    Awarded_no_points.jpg
    L-Ford-GT-40-5.jpg
    Ford-GT_mp8_pic_21988.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I thank Williams for still continuing to provide accessability along with fun even 20 years later. I only wish that everyone else was enjoying this hobby as much as my 9 year old son does.

Well since Williams decided to shut its Pinball division we really dont have many other choices now do we? Ive had my share of both BWM's pins & Sterns and yes I'd agree that multiballs on the early 90's machines were probably coded better but Stern has put out some pretty nice games over the past few years. You can continue to support a company that turned its back on you or try to support the company thats still making us games to play. They might give us dud's from time to time but hasnt every company???

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The reality is without Stern there may have been no new pinballs the last 12 years. So my hats off to them!

And there would be no AC/DC.....the rest of their games could have been turds for all I care but they nailed this one!!!

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I actually had a POTC for awhile. The design was terrible and the gameplay was uninispiring. I really wanted to love that game because the ship was cool. My son still preferred AFM over POTC.

POTC is the anti AFM (flow style) pin. You simply bought the wrong Stern in Xmen. Try SM if your son likes superhero theme's or pick up a ACDC Premium if you want a complex & innovative ruleset.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

When I go to the local Pinball competitions, no one plays Stern, infact they dont even make money (as quoted by JJ). We all play the old 90s games because they were so good. However, this detracts from what I am saying. I dont intend to have a "Stern Sucks" party, I am simply pointing out how new players see the WMS games as intuitive (example my son though I can add many others) and the Stern games get passed by.

The ACDC Premium on location in town is kicking ass. Ive had pretty much every "a" list title Willaims & still love them & will be adding another AFM soon but if I had to only have one pin they would all be out the door in favor of a Stern. To say that some of the better recent stern's "arent good" Isnt giving them their due credit. Most were Designed & Programmed by the same people who you are giving sooo much credit to for all those great 90's pins.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Man AC/DC is one of the worst games ever made IMHO.

Let me guess you played it what? 3 or 4 games? Was it a Pro or LE?

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

AC/DC makes me happy unlike no other pin. I own a lot of B/W & Sterns. If you don't get it,I feel sorry for you.

The people who usually bash ACDC have either not played it or only played it a few times. I remember when I had a couple local friends over the 1st time playing it they were getting their ass handed to them by the game. After a few more games & getting a feel for the shots thats all they wanted to play.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

You dont want to know. It will make you mad.

Ok then what your saying is youre just not very good.....

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Dont feel sorry for me. I like AC/DC music as well. But the cheapness in that design is horrific. T2 is a much better game in every way. Not only do you got 95% of AC/DC, but its much more fun!! (these statements are totally objective, but T2 is still better then AC/DC!) ;p

Ok I guess you played a Pro. The Premium/LE isnt cheap at all.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Actually it was an LE. I am definitely in a minority when I say I prefer the look of the machine WITHOUT the mini-playfield. That playfield is unenjoyable and embarassing.

Too each their own I guess. Luckily for us they make so many different games. Just going by the comments from some of the better known tournament players though ACDC has been extremely well received.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

ACDC is a great tourney game. The rule set and software were done by a big tourney player, so this makes sense. However, knowing when you should cash in on that cannon jackpot does not make it an approachable game.
    Personally, I think the software is amazing from the standpoint of a tourney player. That doesn't mean that anyone regular Joe can understand what he is supposed to do on his first play.

I guess thats what I like about it. If I figure out the games rules after 1 play its too simple. I totally understand where youre coming from when you say ACDC it maybe to complex at 1st for the new player but if they are willing to put some time in on it they will start to get a general idea of what to do.

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

haha sup Monkey, seriously though. You would discredit T2 over AC/DC! You're a player man, what shot in AC/DC gives you that super jackpot pleasure of T2?

Bell Super Jackpot with 3x running in any of the Multiballs.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

And what are the steps to accomplish this?
    T2 Super Jackpot
    - Lock Balls
    - Lock Ball during mball (or lock two for awesome)
    - Squeeze trigger for jackpot removing your hand from a flipper (x2)

I guess you need to play it more if you dont know how.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Too complex to type, I get it.

Not really....Just collect all the jackpots for each MB (Jam, Album, or Tour). Once all have been collected the Cannon is lit for the total of all Jackpots collected & nailing the bell will give you said total as a Super Jackpot. It obviously pays to have either 2x or 3x running while collecting jackpots & definitely want it lit when shooting for the super!!!

1 week later
    #206 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I dont like AC/DC and I dont care what the "top 100" says. In fact, since you didn't say "top 10" or even "top 20" that lends more credability to what I am saying. That game shipped with some of the worst software I have ever seen.

Ok with that statement you just lost all if any credibility you had. You have Xmen LE rated at over a 9 & you think ACDC had horrible code???

Someone put a bullet in the side of this threads head pleaseeeeee!!!!

2 months later
    #220 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

What sucks is that current pinball sw development has decided that its ok to ship machines incomplete, then fix it later. How about you ship it when its done? With the rapid release schedules everyone is trying to follow these days, its sad that the consumer is paying the price. Look how many updates occur these days compared to the Williams area. How many ROM releases should it take to dial it in?

While I agree that games should be shipped more complete you have to remember we live in a different world now where as updating things is a hell of a lot easier then it was before.

#250 11 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

Did Bally/Williams take deposits on games before they were even close to being done. Did customers have to wait to take ownership of games that shipped with incomplete code? Perhaps its just a byproduct of a much smaller company these days.

Ya think? They were also a small division of a larger company. Nobody is forcing anyone to preorder anything. If you don't like it just wait till the game is out and buy it then. Or I guess you can just wait for the next Bally/Williams pin to come out & buy one from them???

#273 11 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Uh...have you seen how many ROM versions are out there for most games? They got updated and changed all the time. Everybody has always done that in pinball.
    As for the AFM vs. AC/DC comparison, I don't think it holds up. I have an AFM, but I usually have to explain how the lock/multiball system works to people unfamiliar with the game. On top of that, you can't tell me that most people know how the rules work for deciding when video mode is available via the Stroke of Luck vs starting an attack wave or lighting Martian Attack. There are rules that dictate those things, but they're not evident at all.
    Or with WH2O, another game I own, the rules are very hidden to the average player. Most people don't have any idea how the game works. Yes, the playfield is attractive, but it takes a lot of play or an outright explanation to understand how to progress through the game.
    I don't think Stern does anything much worse or much better than WMS did in regards to making the games easy to understand or making them look attractive at first glance.

It tells you right on the instruction card how to start each Multiball on ACDC. If you can't take a minute to read it I don't know what else to say.

#281 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Sort of backs my theory that both SM and ACDC's success is not Ritchie as much as Lyman.

Couldnt disagree with this more. Ive said this many times that the genius of the code is the combination of the high risk layout (maybe somewhat simple) that Stevie gave us with ACDC. The bell was a great idea as well as the Jukebox, Both Steve's idea. Lets say you tried to use ACDC's code on a supposed better layout like SM.....The risk/reward factor would be gone & it wouldn't be nearly as big a rush or a stressful when you have a 70-80 mil S.J. built up.

Lyman should get a ton of credit & rightfully so, but it was the team effort that gave us such a great game.

#282 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

Nothing against the AC/DC design, I have one coming Friday. But there isn't anything special about it and some glaring design issues.

Im curious, what are the glaring design issues you speak of?

#284 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

Mind you, these are machines that may not have been adjusted like others have done here. But I play one across the street a lot and the SDTM drains out of the pop bumpers is silly. I've seen people have 2 of the 3 balls drain without ever touching a flipper. Adding to the ball save should fix it a bit, but that just doesn't seem right to me. Balls that drain without touching a flipper should be incredibly rare.
    And I don't know if this would be considered a design issue since I think it's intended, but I think the left outlane is silly. At least offer the option to close it a bit more for those who want longer games.
    Now I have one coming so I obviously really enjoy the game. I just think most of the fun comes from the rules in this particular game which are perhaps the best I've ever come across in a pinball game.

Basing a game off location pins to me is never a good idea. Id say the vast majority out there are set up or maintained poorly. There are exceptions to the rule but I never judge a pin based solely off a location example.

#285 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

Now I have one coming so I obviously really enjoy the game. I just think most of the fun comes from the rules in this particular game which are perhaps the best I've ever come across in a pinball game.

While I agree the code is probably some of the best & most creative ever written I also feel the brutal nature of the layout which punishes missed or poorly planned shots is what makes it so enjoyable. If it was easier it wouldnt be as much fun.

#296 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Haha, I like easy outs that dont require facts, like your statement. I mean, a great way to win any argument is to just make personal attacks and not use facts. In fact, maybe all disagreements should be solved with boxing gloves, that seems reasonable.
    Good news Monkey, AC/DC now tilts when Multiball starts. Ill debug it tomorrow, seems tied to shaker activity, but not sure how that is possible, since the shaker goes off on other things that doesnt trigger a tilt.

I gave you facts you just chose to ignore them.....If the game is set up correctly SDTM from pops isnt an issue....and there is always the super skill shot which you obviously dont know about or didnt acknowledge.

#298 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

The layout is nothing like T2, seriously?? Keeps coming up because it is 100% true.
    The more I play the game the less I like it, spent a good hour on a very nice premium the other night, trying to figure out what people see in it, still a huge mystery to me. (and I like AC/DC's music!!)

Your from Canada nobody asked you.......

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-and-why-williams-still-outperforms-them?tu=smassa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.