Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201205161503030.kleeenex-portfolio.jpg
    BEYOTCH.jpg
    Fthis.gif
    Awarded_no_points.jpg
    L-Ford-GT-40-5.jpg
    Ford-GT_mp8_pic_21988.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

When I start most new Stern games, every single shot light is flashing.

This is just false. The entire premise of this thread is false. I wonder how much experience you have on other Stern games besides X-Men. If something is flashing - it MEANS something...just like any WMS game. I turn on Monster Bash - every shot is flashing...and it makes sense. I know I have to shoot the Wolfman 4 times, the Drac targets, Frank, etc.

Sterns games are generally designed and programmed by the same people who made the WMS games. For better or worse, they're generally similar experiences.

In the case of X-Men, the game clearly has software issues, but if you can't figure out what to do - that's on you (and your son lol). Shoot lit character shots, start their modes. Shoot the big green LOCK inserts, lock the ball for Magneto Multiball. Shoot the scoop when Villain is lit...hmmm, what could that do - oh, I dunno, start a VILLAIN MODE!??!! Wolverine's Multiball - some shots are lit, shoot them and he turns a corner and confronts a guard - then, only Wolverine is lit, so - shoot him, kill the guard (Jackpot).

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I understand what you are saying, however I have had experience in ALL of the Stern games. In fact, I have spent considerable time with Stern and Steve Ritchie over dinner and drinks. I see you pointed out one game that is an exception to the rule. Good for you, that doesn't change the real data I have experienced over the last 25 years. I did not make this post as an anti-stern, simply a post of where I have seen pinball progress now versus the past. To think that just because I dont post whore, doesnt devalue my experience.

Fantastic...but you're wrong. Anything that's lit at any time in a B/W or Stern game serves a similar purpose - to point out what you're supposed to shoot. Shoot the lit shot, something happens. X-Men has f*cked up code currently, but still - shoot the lit shot, SOMETHING HAPPENS. It's no different than B/W games.

Sincerely,
    Post Whore

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I am not asking you to agree with me. Just giving you factual evidence along with years of play time. Maybe your 9 year old launches any Stern game and just knows what to do.

I don't know anyone who launches into ANY game and knows what to do. That doesn't change the fact that "shoot lit shot does something". In the case of X-Men, shoot character = start character mode. How is this confusing? I dunno, I figured this out pretty quickly - and I STILL don't know wtf is happening in TZ after playing it 100 times

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Cool, I guess the mode starts of the Piano and Slot Machine are too confusing for you. You know, the shots that when you make them stop the ball for several seconds while telling you whats next. Where as making a shot in XMEN, ACDC, TRON, spiderman, while all making progress, do nothing until you have made the shot multiple times. Or how about IJ, where hitting mode start actually starts a mode and gives you goals?

There are plenty of B/W & Stern games that start modes w/ multiple shots

There are plenty of B/W & Stern games that start modes w/ a single shot.

Clearly, you don't like multiple shot/start mode games.

Solution = Sell your X-Men.

1 week later
    #201 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I am glad you think I am an idiot. In other news, no one cares.
    I dont like AC/DC and I dont care what the "top 100" says. In fact, since you didn't say "top 10" or even "top 20" that lends more credability to what I am saying. That game shipped with some of the worst software I have ever seen. So bad that I could just do nothing and let the cannon shoot the right ramp over and over. Fun. I love Ritchie, but this is the worst game he has ever made IN MY OPINION. Just because I dont like what you like, doesnt make me an idiot, it makes you close minded.

BEYOTCH.jpgBEYOTCH.jpg

2 months later
    #258 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

No matter what they do with the code on AC/DC, the layout is still a slightly altered T2 from over 20 years before. Must be the reason when I play it that it seems so familiar

Other than having a cannon - the layout, feel, and gameplay is nothing like T2. Not sure why this keeps coming up. On top of that, the rules are absolutely like NOTHING that has come before.

#305 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

The layout is nothing like T2, seriously?? Keeps coming up because it is 100% true.
    The more I play the game the less I like it, spent a good hour on a very nice premium the other night, trying to figure out what people see in it, still a huge mystery to me. (and I like AC/DC's music!!)

LOL just look at the playfields side by side!

-T2 has a saucer-stop shot on the left, AC/DC does not
    -AC/DC has 2 drop target banks, one which reveals a standup. T2 does not
    -They both have 2 ramps...so do TONS of games, so...moot point....especially since they have completely different designs.
    -They have cannons...but they're in different locations.
    -OK maybe the Skull shot is in a similar place to the bell shot...but again, I can look at ANY game and say "this shot in a similar place to a shot on that game". There's only so much real estate. Games will have shots in the same places. In any case - hitting the skull shot is NOT the same as hitting the bell shot.
    -AC/DC has the jukebox catch/kickout, T2 does not.
    -The rules are ENTIRELY different.

-Oh yeah, and....LOWER PLAYFIELD!!!! T2 does not have one.

Sorry...comparing AC/DC to T2 is a strange groupthink thing that caught on early but has no real basis in reality. Wanna compare Austin Powers to Iron Man? That makes sense because they were literally modeled on the same layout. Same with Spacejam & NBA. Family Guy & Shrek: the MOST literal "same playfield" duo. AC/DC and T2? The most irrelevant comparison EVER.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-and-why-williams-still-outperforms-them?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.