Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201205161503030.kleeenex-portfolio.jpg
    BEYOTCH.jpg
    Fthis.gif
    Awarded_no_points.jpg
    L-Ford-GT-40-5.jpg
    Ford-GT_mp8_pic_21988.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Not only did Williams ship machines that worked out of the box,

Ha Ha Ha.

Wanna bet on that one ?

Stern pinball machines out of the box for me ( ending with BDK, I can't speak first hand for the models after that ) was far better than Williams.

And Stern has their tech support beat too. ( in comparison then and now, I know you can't get tech support from Williams any longer )

And Stern has made some really great games like TSPP, LOTR, and SM, during the worst market ever for pinball. Williams has it's share of lemons during a time when things were much better.

LTG : )

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoChiefs70:

What is amazing to me is that Williams still exists as a company, just out of the pinball business. They must know the following that exists for their 90's games, and yet they do not jump back in and compete with Stern. Anybody know why? Make MM2, etc. I am sure it boils down to dollars.

Lets see. They closed the pinball division, Williams/Atari, Williams/Midway, Touch Screen division, etc. etc.

And times were better in coin op for all those and were dumped to make slot machines.

Nothing amazing about it. It would cost a fortune to start up the pinball part again and lose a lot of money with mediocre sales and face the wrath of the stock holders.

And no sense looking back when you are making a lot of money on something else.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I got great support for my 90s games when they [Bally / Williams] were still in business. Timely and free updates to the ball stuck scenarios along with timely software upgrades. Apparently your experience differed.

Even though I was a test operator for Lieberman Music Co. for 19 years, yes, my experienced differed.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

I dont care about the perspective of an OP, I care about the perspective of a new player. I appreciate your time with being an OP, but the OP side of things vs the new player side of things are different.

Then you should have stated that in your original post. And not included things that would bring an OP to challenge.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

When I go to the local Pinball competitions, no one plays Stern,

I am curious about this.

I don't doubt you or anything, just wondering what is going on in these competitions.

Take a look at the top players in pinball, and most are older and grew up playing Williams pins.

Switch to a new pin, and you have to learn the game.

If I were playing a game for 20 years, and another one for a couple years. I know which one I'd want to compete on. And Williams pins have been on the street for many years, while the newest Stern pins hardly get on location anymore.

So my question to you is what do you think the typical age of you and the players you compete against is. Is it younger and newer players or older.

I'm just trying to understand if there is something else going on besides manufacturer, like familiarity.

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

Wow. This was just your average Stern bash-fest until you told Lloyd that Ops' opinions and experiences don't count in this argument. Kudos to you for bringing something new to this tired debate!

That was my favorite part.

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Jersey Jack said it best when he decided to start a business making Pinballs instead of buying them. Its hard to disagree with the largest distributer of Stern pins

That would be second largest, for awhile.

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Good thing there is an edit button. I never said I dont care about your personal opinion. However, including a statement from your professional work position clouds a realisitic player person. You are a minority even among people that actually OWN machines.

So you do care about my personal opinion.

Well that would be me thinking, why would someone post, on a public forum, where responses can come from many different individuals, yet want canned responses so their position seems sound ?

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

The vast majority of ops don't route new Stern games anymore

Why should they ?

You can only beat your head against a wall for so long and then you have to make changes.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I guess Portland, the location pinball capital of the world, didn't get that memo:

XM - 5
    TF -7
    AC/DC - 7
    Tron - 7

Not to mention the 20 or 30 each of LOTR and TSPP.

http://www.pinballmap.com/portland

The exception to the rule, and great for the locals.

Quoted from phishrace:

You also might want to watch any of the recent Gary Stern interviews on youtube as he never hesitates to say that the vast majority of export games go on location, not into homes.

Gary says a lot. Is it always accurate ?

#126 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

LTG, is this the general consensus for how ops run things now? I am truly curious.

I can't speak for other ops or areas.

It is a tough market out there right now for coin op.

#153 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

what are we talking about again???

Kurt Cobain.

#176 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

LOL Worst thread, meaning the OP asks questions and ignores the answers, or says answers don't count from certain people like Lloyd. I mean, seriously? I stopped reading when I saw the OP say that Lloyd's opinion doesn't count. Haha...

To be fair now, he did say if he had trouble with a machine he would IM me.

Now I don't know why he'd want to Iron Man me, but I'm waiting patiently.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-and-why-williams-still-outperforms-them?tu=ltg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.