Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201205161503030.kleeenex-portfolio.jpg
    BEYOTCH.jpg
    Fthis.gif
    Awarded_no_points.jpg
    L-Ford-GT-40-5.jpg
    Ford-GT_mp8_pic_21988.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from chill:

Gotta admit, my newer Sterns have fewer breakages than the older B/W games I've had.

Give them 20 years.

Oh wait, that's right....a lot of them are not getting routed either.

#166 11 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

I have a buddy that is an op and he says the Sterns are outperforming the Williams. I think the cash box speaks with authority . He has been selling all his Williams and buying the latest Sterns. All are performing very, very well.
    In terms of your observation about it being clear what shot to hit, I think Stern with the exception of a few games, has done a great job. When I first played LOTR, I figure it out pretty quickly. Same with Xmen, Avengers, Tron, etc. All very clear.
    In the case of Xmen, there is a massive Wolverine toy. Hit that x times and start multiball. Don't think it can get any more obvious than than. Same with Avengers. Massive, moving Hulk toy. Hit it and start multiball.
    Once you get over the obvious MB, I think Stern is kicking a$$ by providing deeper rules. I personally own spiderman, LOTR, and TSPP. I'll take any of these three over any Williams A title. The rules just don't compare.
    Cheers,
    Duane

And I'm the opposite. I had LOTR for eight years and no doubt it's a great pin.....but 2hr games where killing me. I started to avoid playing it because I didn't want to commit the time. Same reason TSPP is not on my want list.

#173 11 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Open the outlanes and make it steeper. The game is not supposed to last that long. LOTR can have long ball times, but some adjusting can really go a long way. Same for TSPP, which already has much lower ball times than LOTR anyway.

Sure.....and then you don't get anywhere.

I want to finish the game....or at least get to the final mode and I don't want it to take two+ hours to do so.

WCS is pretty easy. I can win the World Cup in about 20 minutes.....never seems to get old though (as long as I have some other machines to mix up the play).

1 week later
    #215 11 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

When I move from SM (awesome freakin game) over to my MB one thing I notice is how solid and well built the MB feels.. Not sure how else to say it but MB oozes quality compared to My SM
    It's like jumping out of a Chevy caprice into a high Mercedes when I switch back and forth between the two.
    Sorry but Stern games feel a little more like a disposable Bic lighter and B/W games are more like
    Zippo's
    Not bashing sterns I love them, but like everything (not just pins)quality seems to slip more as the years go by.
    JMHO.

I notice this every time as well. Stern makes some fantastic playing pins! I'd absolutely LOVE to have AC/DC, Tron, Avengers, SM & IM. But they do "feel" cheaper built.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-and-why-williams-still-outperforms-them?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.