Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 310 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201205161503030.kleeenex-portfolio.jpg
    BEYOTCH.jpg
    Fthis.gif
    Awarded_no_points.jpg
    L-Ford-GT-40-5.jpg
    Ford-GT_mp8_pic_21988.jpg
    There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Having a new, unique, and interesting PF design is overrated.
    PF designs are almost *never* what makes a pin fun.
    Play any pin with what you consider an "interesing PF design" with the volume turned off and see how fun it is.

It's all about the rules. Keep in mind 3 of the most beloved pins of all time, AFM, MM, MB, all pretty much have the same layout, but they all feel like much different games.

#302 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

It's a double-edged sword for the pinball industry. If they make the games real easy to figure out, it bores pinheads. If they make them too complex, casual players won't understand them. At this point where games are going more and more in homes, I can't see them building them for casual players anymore.

The best games manage to have multiple levels. For example, MM. Anyone can walk up to MM and see the big giant castle in the middle, and see when they hit it the drawbridge goes down, that makes them want to see what happens when they cross the bridge, and then when they see the gate open, what happens when they shoot the ball in there, then they get to see the castle blow up and see a big giant "2,000,000" on their screen. This makes it obvious to anyone that the castle is an important shot.

Then the more hardcore players will start digging in, and figure out about Madness lights, Castle Hurryups, Royal Madness, and then start lighting those blue lights in the middle.

Then the really hardcore realize thet they get a lot more points if the can stack up multiple hurryups before shooting the middle, that they get a better Multiball Madness the more lights they have going when they shoot Merlin, etc.

Goals on multiple levels. That's the key.

#303 11 years ago

Guys why are you having that discussion with PDX. ACDC is the hottest title for a reason and most of us know why. His is set up wrong and he just does not like it, His loss not ours.
    As for the topic. Well I have gone from All Stern to getting some classics to realizing I should have stayed all Stern.
    I look forward to another year of some good Stern releases and getting my mix back to new games.

#304 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Haha, I like easy outs that dont require facts, like your statement. I mean, a great way to win any argument is to just make personal attacks and not use facts. In fact, maybe all disagreements should be solved with boxing gloves, that seems reasonable.
    Good news Monkey, AC/DC now tilts when Multiball starts. Ill debug it tomorrow, seems tied to shaker activity, but not sure how that is possible, since the shaker goes off on other things that doesnt trigger a tilt.

Facts
    1.) You told me yourself your thinking of selling fishtales and cftbl to fund avengers premium.
    As the op of this slanderous thread how does that make any sense?!
    2.) a vast majority of pinball enthusiast prefer acdc to say T2.
    3.) the bell sdtm rarely happens on that machine unless you have the game not leveled correctly.
    5.) Hillsboro is not portland but you can pretend if it makes you feel cooler.

Theories
    1.) you started this thread in angst of xmen code 1.23 which was garbage.
    Good for you I hope it made you feel better.
    2.) acdc is badass, get GC and we'll talk. That paticular acdc GC is totally obtainable.
    3.) you suck, play better.

balls in your court bro

#305 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

The layout is nothing like T2, seriously?? Keeps coming up because it is 100% true.
    The more I play the game the less I like it, spent a good hour on a very nice premium the other night, trying to figure out what people see in it, still a huge mystery to me. (and I like AC/DC's music!!)

LOL just look at the playfields side by side!

-T2 has a saucer-stop shot on the left, AC/DC does not
    -AC/DC has 2 drop target banks, one which reveals a standup. T2 does not
    -They both have 2 ramps...so do TONS of games, so...moot point....especially since they have completely different designs.
    -They have cannons...but they're in different locations.
    -OK maybe the Skull shot is in a similar place to the bell shot...but again, I can look at ANY game and say "this shot in a similar place to a shot on that game". There's only so much real estate. Games will have shots in the same places. In any case - hitting the skull shot is NOT the same as hitting the bell shot.
    -AC/DC has the jukebox catch/kickout, T2 does not.
    -The rules are ENTIRELY different.

-Oh yeah, and....LOWER PLAYFIELD!!!! T2 does not have one.

Sorry...comparing AC/DC to T2 is a strange groupthink thing that caught on early but has no real basis in reality. Wanna compare Austin Powers to Iron Man? That makes sense because they were literally modeled on the same layout. Same with Spacejam & NBA. Family Guy & Shrek: the MOST literal "same playfield" duo. AC/DC and T2? The most irrelevant comparison EVER.

#306 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Facts
    1.) You told me yourself your thinking of selling fishtales and cftbl to fund Avengers premium.
    2.) a vast majority of pinball enthusiast prefer acdc to say T2.
    3.) the bell sdtm rarely happens on that machine unless you have the game not leveled correctly.

Theories
    2.) acdc is badass, get GC and we'll talk. That paticular acdc GC is totally obtainable.
    3.) you suck, play better.

Agreed the SDTM drain isn't super frequent, something on yours kicks it hard right and it usually lands in the right outlane area or slingshot. Stating that it happens, doesn't imply it happens all the time.

1.) You told me yourself your thinking of selling fishtales and cftbl to fund Avengers premium.
    - I am, whats slanderous about that? I never said people should stop buying Stern games. I dont believe that at all, you are applying your emotional beliefs, and those are irrelevant. Read the main post again, I think you maybe got hit by my gloves one too many times.

- Who cares? How is this, or any, of your diatribe related to the topic?

- Incorrect, did you read the original post? Its a TLDR style post though, so I would assume you read some inner post that was OT and came to an incorrect conclusion. If I hated XMEN, I would have sold it. That game has a hell of a lot more potential than anything right now, and I am willing to see what happens. And my feelings dont have any relevancy, this is supposed to be a discussion.

If you want to attack me, and not the topic, thats fine, just call my number and stop wasting all these valuable electrons.

#307 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Off topic: I had to Google PDX to figure this one out. I never knew PDX was an acronym for Portland.

Seems you two know each other, don't let a thread on a pinball forum cause a wedge between two people who both like pinball and live close enough to each other to play each others pins. Really not worth it.

#308 11 years ago

haha That will never happen Jim ;p We just like picking on each other. PDX is the Airport code, and it sounds good. Some people refer to Portland as P-Town, but I know better than that. Monkey doesnt even live in Portland proper, he is in a suburb, just as I am. But the burbs is where all the pinball action is!

#309 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

haha That will never happen Jim ;p We just like picking on each other. PDX is the Airport code, and it sounds good. Some people refer to Portland as P-Town, but I know better than that. Monkey doesnt even live in Portland proper, he is in a suburb, just as I am. But the burbs is where all the pinball action is!

Really my address is portland.

Quoted from jimjim66:

Off topic: I had to Google PDX to figure this one out. I never knew PDX was an acronym for Portland.
    Seems you two know each other, don't let a thread on a pinball forum cause a wedge between two people who both like pinball and live close enough to each other to play each others pins. Really not worth it.

It's too late bro,
    We've already scheduled a knife fight in Ground Kontrol parking lot...

#310 11 years ago

Pdxmonkey is going to be sleeping with the fishes tonight.

There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-and-why-williams-still-outperforms-them/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.