Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ezgif-2-3cedef0f11.gif
    20230104_090954 (resized).jpg
    20230104_091012 (resized).jpg
    20230104_092247 (resized).jpg
    20230104_092140 (resized).jpg
    20230104_092201 (resized).jpg
    Stern Sign (resized).png
    2574B014-F6F4-45A0-B4B4-240E92AE7105 (resized).jpeg
    stern-pinball-alley (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 89 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Yes, I just won't be able to get to it until next week.
    *EDIT* no longer for sale here since Ultimate Gameroom wants to be a troll.

Everything you posted sounds like you are fishing for offers on something you don’t even own in someone else’s wanted thread to see if enough profit can be made to justify purchase from another party.
    If you own the sign and can provide pictures and a description of condition post a sale/trade add or start your own thread. You reply of “ just won’t be able to get to it until next week” reenforces the fact that you don’t own it and have never even seen the sign.

OP I hope you can locate and purchase a sign. I considered purchasing one when they were available but passed due to the high original retail cost.

Is there a Pinside Forum achievement award for being called a troll by a scalper/flipper?

#52 89 days ago

Jody is far more of an asset to the hobby than you, me, or most other people. Get off it, dude. I hope you never need a ramp from him.

#53 89 days ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Everything you posted sounds like you are fishing for offers on something you don’t even own in someone else’s wanted thread to see if enough profit can be made to justify purchase from another party.
    If you own the sign and can provide pictures and a description of condition post a sale/trade add or start your own thread. You reply of “ just won’t be able to get to it until next week” reenforces the fact that you don’t own it and have never even seen the sign.
    OP I hope you can locate and purchase a sign. I considered purchasing one when they were available but passed due to the high original retail cost.
    Is there a Pinside Forum achievement award for being called a troll by a scalper/flipper?

Thank you for your service.

#54 89 days ago

Or.....he could be out of town during the holidays.....

I know I've told people I have something they want but am not home until a specified date to take pictures or the like.

You are making a BIG jump on the conclusions mat....

#55 89 days ago

Why do people gotta always jump to the worst conclusions about others? And then get publicly hostile about it?

I'm never shy about calling someone out, but I wait until they've actually earned it instead of just assuming, damn.

As for the sign ... do people want that specific beast because it's collectible and has the Stern logo? Or do they just like the concept?

Seems to me several people could probably get together and share some costs to do a run of Pinball Alley signs. That stuff ain't cheap, but if you do a few you could cut down on some of the costs compared to designing a one off.

#56 89 days ago

I didn’t mean to come off as a troll. Cheers to anyone who enjoys pinball and even more props to those who make parts/ mods/etc.

Is it to much to ask that if a Pinsider has something to sell/trade that they post a description and pic in the marketplace or their own thread not someone else’s wanted thread?

#57 89 days ago

Is it to much to ask that if a Pinsider has something to sell/trade that they post a description and pic in the marketplace or their own thread not someone else’s wanted thread?

Not at all, it's poor form, but there's no need to accuse a well known member who contributes to the community with his ramps for less popular games of being a scalper either.

Pinside just feels like the interactions go from 0-60 too often. We could stand to be a little more patient and nice with each other. I know all the money and prices now make people grumpy, but it's just a sign. Who cares if someone makes a few bucks sourcing one for someone? Would that really make the world a poorer place?

#58 88 days ago

I wanted one because it looks cool and I wanted to put it above my Sterns. I'm going to start hosting league tournaments and though it would be a nice addition to the gameroom. Not sure why Stern doesn't make these more available, seems they would benefit from the added publicity and additional revenue.

#59 88 days ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Not sure why Stern doesn't make these more available, seems they would benefit from the added publicity and additional revenue.

Because as Trent said, the costs became too high to be reasonable. Nobody wants to pay twice what you’re offering for a sign. Or not enough to make a business case for at least.

The thing is huge, over 7 feet long and 100 pounds. Not many game rooms are equipped for such a beast.

You really should take your budget and see what a local shop can build for you in a similar style. It's a neat sign, but having something custom would elevate your spot imo. And you could scale it to fit your wall perfectly.

#60 88 days ago

Damn that puts it in perspective, that sign is a beast at 7 feet long and 100 Ibs. Shipping $$ can't be pretty either, that sign was always cool to me too though.

#61 88 days ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

Damn that puts it in perspective, that sign is a beast at 7 feet long and 100 Ibs. Shipping $$ can't be pretty either, that sign was always cool to me too though.

Stern had them on their website briefly. For $2400. It's 8 feet wide. People started bitching about the price right away. I couldn't believe it. 8 feet of a great looking sign for commercial use ? $2400 was cheap.

They pulled it from the website before I could scrounge the money.

Some day. I'll have one. Above my jjp row, or by that time Stern row.

LTG : )

#62 88 days ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

Yeah it's not really something a lot of people could casually install:

Stern Sign (resized).png

Even something half that size would be pretty impressive and fit the scale of most rooms better tbh. It sounds like a fun project, if I had a burning desire for a Pinball Alley sign I'd make one with faux neon silicone tubing LEDs and figure out a good way to do chase bulbs, because those feel like a must. Can't be hard, just never had a need to do them before.

#63 88 days ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

Ive seen them in person. The floor mounts would be easiest way to display. My game room is pretty large and ceilings are high so it would easily work. Have you seen the price o large neons? Ive probably got 3500 just in a handful of those. Lol

#64 88 days ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Ive seen them in person. The floor mounts would be easiest way to display. My game room is pretty large and ceilings are high so it would easily work. Have you seen the price o large neons? Ive probably got 3500 just in a handful of those. Lol

You think people would pay 10k for one? If so, I may be able to help.

#65 88 days ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

You think people would pay 10k for one?

Last one I heard of sold for around $6600.

So 10K isn't out of the question.

Right now I'd have to sell a game to do it. Which isn't going to happen right now. Down the road, maybe.

#66 83 days ago

Before I get too far into this post, I think I have someone locally interested in this..shipping would be a huge PITA for something this size-I actually had to rent a Uhaul to move it safely to my storage spot. However, I wanted to follow up in this thread here to offer up any info I can help with for anyone wanting to make a copy of this for their own gameroom. If there is something I can take pictures of or measure for you while I have it, ill do my best to accommodate. There is a pretty substantial box of electronic circuitry on the bottom, and I am not sure if I will dive into opening that up or not. Each letter is individually lit, and changes color shades randomly. The pop bumper lights on the outside operate in a sequential chaser mode.

For those of you asking about making one of these, I can actually believe in them costing what they do. These are really heavy because they are made of some pretty thick sheet metal all around...no vacuum molding from what I can tell except for the letters. This is definitely made for commercial purposes by a professional manufacturer. Moving one of these is absolutely a 2 person job, but it has nice handles on the back. Nothing says you would have to build it this way, but I wanted to give some insight on why Stern is saying it's going to cost a significant amount to remake.

20230104_092201 (resized).jpg20230104_092140 (resized).jpg20230104_092247 (resized).jpg20230104_091012 (resized).jpg20230104_090954 (resized).jpgezgif-2-3cedef0f11.gif
    #67 83 days ago

Love it! How many of us would buy a smaller home version for our gamerooms? Maybe a 2 or 3 foot version.

#68 83 days ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Love it! How many of us would buy a smaller home version for our gamerooms? Maybe a 2 or 3 foot version.

too small , 4-6 ft is better

#69 83 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Before I get too far into this post, I think I have someone locally interested in this..shipping would be a huge PITA for something this size-I actually had to rent a Uhaul to move it safely to my storage spot. However, I wanted to follow up in this thread here to offer up any info I can help with for anyone wanting to make a copy of this for their own gameroom. If there is something I can take pictures of or measure for you while I have it, ill do my best to accommodate. There is a pretty substantial box of electronic circuitry on the bottom, and I am not sure if I will dive into opening that up or not. Each letter is individually lit, and changes color shades randomly. The pop bumper lights on the outside operate in a sequential chaser mode.
    For those of you asking about making one of these, I can actually believe in them costing what they do. These are really heavy because they are made of some pretty thick sheet metal all around...no vacuum molding from what I can tell except for the letters. This is definitely made for commercial purposes by a professional manufacturer. Moving one of these is absolutely a 2 person job, but it has nice handles on the back. Nothing says you would have to build it this way, but I wanted to give some insight on why Stern is saying it's going to cost a significant amount to remake.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

See any pooling or chipped artwork?

Joking aside, that's really slick looking.

#70 83 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

However, I wanted to follow up in this thread here to offer up any info I can help with for anyone wanting to make a copy of this for their own gameroom. If there is something I can take pictures of or measure for you while I have it, ill do my best to accommodate. There is a pretty substantial box of electronic circuitry on the bottom, and I am not sure if I will dive into opening that up or not. Each letter is individually lit, and changes color shades randomly. The pop bumper lights on the outside operate in a sequential chaser mode.

Thank you for setting aside the petty stuff to come back and post these pics. I hadn't actually realized the chaser lights were pop bumpers, that's genius.

Quoted from JodyG:

For those of you asking about making one of these, I can actually believe in them costing what they do.

Sign making at this scale is real labor. And all the raw material just more expensive these days.

#71 83 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Before I get too far into this post, I think I have someone locally interested in this..shipping would be a huge PITA for something this size-I actually had to rent a Uhaul to move it safely to my storage spot.

That would be a pick up and move in person endeavor. I'd hate to trust it to shipping.

Thank you for posting the pictures !

#72 83 days ago

Bally & Atari once scaled an entire machine around the concept of using a cue ball for a pinball. So what about this really big shiny metal pinball there, eh?!

In all seriousness, despite what looks like a really nice mirror finish I'm assuming that can't possibly be metal for numerous reasons. Is it chromed plastic or some kind of novelty plated rubber ball? Hollow or solid?

Should put that on a machine for a sense of scale, ha ha.

#73 83 days ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Is it chromed plastic or some kind of novelty plated rubber ball? Hollow or solid?

Should put that on a machine for a sense of scale, ha ha.

It looks to be only a half ball with a black border around the back. Most likely as you said chromed plastic.
    Very cool though!

#74 83 days ago

Should put that on a machine for a sense of scale,

2 1/2 machines.

#75 83 days ago

Before you think you can make one yourself, check out this video and think of the time and expense he must have into this.

John

#76 83 days ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Before you think you can make one yourself, check out this video and think of the time and expense he must have into this.

John

I just watched that video the other day, still haven't watched the Jimmy perspective one. Love Wesley's builds. I almost linked it in here for the exact same reason you did, really good look at how much work can go into something at this scale.

#77 82 days ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

you're definitely one of those people who gets on the elevator before the people who just rode it have a chance to get off.

Funny stuff...I know those people well

#78 82 days ago

despite what looks like a really nice mirror finish I'm assuming that can't possibly be metal for numerous reasons.

Search for “gazing ball”. I bought some 12” gazing balls and used them for league trophies a couple times. Not sure how they compare in size to the sign topper.

#79 82 days ago

I retract my earlier statement....the outside frame actually is a large vacuum form, attached to a metal back and subframe. Looks to be 1/4" thick material at least. The vacuum former used for this is going to be in the neighborhood of what is used for making hot tubs to get that kind of length and forming pressure. The good news would be that the mold is most likely out there this still, which I would think would have to lower the price a bit. It wasn't a cheap piece to tool up, I'm sure.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-alley-sign-wanted-paying-good-price/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.