Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B52B0B1A-C958-4512-9387-FA433F579553 (resized).jpeg
    EB0BBC0B-4101-4941-8296-F4EBF46944A4 (resized).jpeg
    53AB7C95-6D22-4D61-B672-81369FA4576B (resized).jpeg
    D30C7861-F8BE-4D47-A612-A32C6B69AD70 (resized).jpeg
    Pinball-Alley (resized).jpg
    Pinball-Alley-A (resized).jpg
    fb860a80e2032c6a88576386ebb929429f578c12.gif
    20230104_092135.jpg
    20230104_092140.jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Mod - for sale

Stern Pinball Alley Sign

Featured Ad

Added: 2023-02-04 17:57:25 UTC • Ended: February 5th, 2023
    Condition: NOS (New Old Stock)

Price

$ 8,000 (OBO)

Open for offers

The ultimate topper for your collection!

I had a local buyer lined up, but they seem to have gosted me.

These are hard to come by, and Stern is not making any more

I prefer local pickup, but will consider shipping if no local buyer is found and the buyer would be responsible for making all arrangements.

The sign has been tested and works 100%. There are tapped holes in the back...no mounting brackets or stands.

I would consider cash or trades for a Dialed In or modern Stern.

I have had offers over my current asking price, but they involved shipping. Buyer would need to pick up ASAP as it is blocking a good portion of my ramp storage area, and I need my access back.

Item photos

20230104_092135.jpg
    20230104_092140.jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are JodyG's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to JodyG's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

Lancaster, PA, US

#2 1 year ago

If someone is willing to pay $8K+ for that thing ship it to them, before they change their mind.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If someone is willing to pay $8K+ for that thing ship it to them, before they change their mind.

$800 is a stretch

#4 1 year ago

No one’s offered over 8k for that lol

#5 1 year ago

Which Stern machine does this come with? Thank you!!

#6 1 year ago

I know- just because none of you who posted here see the value in one of these, but there are several on pinside who do. I have had offers for $8k and up to ship. But thanks for your concern, everybody.

#7 1 year ago
    fb860a80e2032c6a88576386ebb929429f578c12.giffb860a80e2032c6a88576386ebb929429f578c12.gif
    #8 1 year ago

People go nuts trying to buy these things, I see this thing selling for 8k

#9 1 year ago

No idea what it’s worth but I would love to have one but this sign or a new Doo ? But if you have the funds it’s very cool and I would believe rare! I have never seen one.

#10 1 year ago

ultimategameroom Guess this is your "proof" you were calling JodyG out for?

#11 1 year ago

LTG has been looking for one, but $8k....woof.

If they're really selling for that much, it almost might be worthwhile to make something similar. Wood outer frame, sheet of stainless steel for the front laser with cut holes for the letters & pops (does cutcutsend do something that large?), bucks and PETG to vacuuform the letters, pop bumper parts, LEDs & Arduino controller....I think someone could do all that for $8k or less in materials. Could be a fun project.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Which Stern machine does this come with? Thank you!!

Come with? Looks closely. This thing is not some little topper light or Tchotchke; it's huge and very impressive if you have seen one in person. They were made in very small numbers and I think they were a few thousand dollars when they were new from Stern. It is worth what people are willing to pay and right now supply is way short of demand.

Pinball-Alley (resized).jpgPinball-Alley (resized).jpgPinball-Alley-A (resized).jpgPinball-Alley-A (resized).jpg
    #13 1 year ago

A fool and his money are soon parted.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

ultimategameroom Guess this is your "proof" you were calling JodyG out for?

I understand that I came across as a troll in the other thread and apologized.
    Good luck with your sale Jody. It’s a cool/ rare sign and it will probably sell fairly quickly. For what price will be determined.
    This sign is posted as a for sale item with a price /obo, pics and description not just a mention of one that would possibly be listed (in another persons wanted add thread) mentioning offers were being accepted.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Talking about Bond 60th?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think someone could do all that for $8k or less in materials. Could be a fun project.

Oh for sure. I could build one for less than $8k in parts and materials, but it would be a lot of custom work.

The concept is very doable, but the scale makes it difficult.

Not sure the people mocking it understand it’s like 7 feet long and weighs 100 pounds.

Get quotes to have something like this custom made, after design and labor you’re probably paying more than the $8k.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Get quotes to have something like this custom made, after design and labor you’re probably paying more than the $8k.

I agree--hiring someone to make it would be quite expensive. Custom work always is.

The point was that if you wanted to make a similar one yourself, I think it would be doable. There's plenty of creative people out there who have the skills or are capable of learning the skills to build something like it.

#18 1 year ago

People regularly pay ridiculous monies for signage. I’d venture to say most everyone on Pinside is guilty of it. Ever wear a Nike T-shirt? It’s a $4 Fruit of the Loom with a fucking check mark painted on it and sold for $40. In regards to this sign, these are really nice. They’re massive. They’re bright. Great effects. His asking price is less than what you’re gonna pay for a sign if you’re a McIntosh collector…and the McIntosh sign doesn’t do a goddamned thing!

#19 1 year ago

people only want to see profit when it’s their profit. same ol’ song, different venue.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

people only want to see profit when it’s their profit. same ol’ song, different venue.

Yep. This is cool as hell. If I had the cash to burn I’d buy it in a heartbeat ha.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yep. This is cool as hell. If I had the cash to burn I’d buy it in a heartbeat ha.

It is. I’m kicking myself for not buying one when they came out. I also didn’t have anywhere to put it then either.

#22 1 year ago

If it would fit in my arcade I'd be tempted to take a road trip.

#23 1 year ago

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a standard sheet of plywood or drywall. As in 4' x 8'.

Stand it landscape-oriented along your wall: end and nearly top to bottom, that's the size of this Stern Pinball Alley sign.

Stack a few of them and you get the weight.

If you're desperate you could probably draw/paint a reasonable facsimilie on that wood sheet, laminate it with reflective mylar, fabricate the edging, cut holes and slap a bunch of pop bumpers and lights in them easily enough. The illuminated letters would be tricky but not impossible. A ton of work for sure, but probably in it for well under $8k.

It won't be the C/LE sign... but it would get the job done.

#24 1 year ago

Not knocking JodyG for his price, I’ve seen plenty of wanted ads of people offering 8-10k for this ridiculous thing. People will pay 8k, the buyers are out there.

The sign is cool, definitely, but not worth 8k. Stern is foolish for not remaking these and rolling in the money. Is this made by a 3rd party contractor?

It’s not 8k worth of sign, it’s just a very cool, rare piece because once again Stern makes weird business decisions.
    Which reminds me, JJP hinted that they’ll soon be offering neon logo signs for sale.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Come with? Looks closely. This thing is not some little topper light or Tchotchke; it's huge and very impressive if you have seen one in person. They were made in very small numbers and I think they were a few thousand dollars when they were new from Stern. It is worth what people are willing to pay and right now supply is way short of demand. [quoted image][quoted image]

Well at the going rates of toppers....it seems to be priced appropriatedly as something that toppers 3 games at once :p

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree--hiring someone to make it would be quite expensive. Custom work always is.
    The point was that if you wanted to make a similar one yourself, I think it would be doable. There's plenty of creative people out there who have the skills or are capable of learning the skills to build something like it.

I could make this but I have enough projects, still all the info is filed away in a folder in case I retire early.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think you might be missing the point of the "collector" mindset. The want it because it is RARE and Stern isn't going to make anymore. They don't want it because it says Pinball Alley and most of them also won't accept a homemade copy substitute.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I think you might be missing the point of the "collector" mindset. The want it because it is RARE and Stern isn't going to make anymore. They don't want it because it says Pinball Alley and most of them also won't accept a homemade copy substitute.

I am a collector. I understand completely.

On the other hand, you also have enthusiasts building AFMs, TAFs, MM's, and other titles from scratch just because they want one and/or enjoy the challenge.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I am a collector. I understand completely.
    On the other hand, you also have enthusiasts building AFMs, TAFs, MM's, and other titles from scratch just because they want one and/or enjoy the challenge.

I get it. I just laugh when someone says, I can make a better R2D2 topper that does more for $xxx, why are people spending $2,500 on them??? This falls into that category. The sign itself is HUGE but not otherwise spectacular. People just want it because it is rare and won't be made again.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I get it. I just laugh when someone says, I can make a better R2D2 topper that does more for $xxx, why are people spending $2,500 on them??? .

Because the people with the money don't have the time, skill or inclination to do it.

#31 1 year ago

How much for just the large shiny ball in the bag?

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I understand that I came across as a troll in the other thread and apologized.
    Good luck with your sale Jody. It’s a cool/ rare sign and it will probably sell fairly quickly. For what price will be determined.
    This sign is posted as a for sale item with a price /obo, pics and description not just a mention of one that would possibly be listed (in another persons wanted add thread) mentioning offers were being accepted.

No worries, we squashed that in the other thread...no harm, no foul my friend.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Not knocking JodyG for his price, I’ve seen plenty of wanted ads of people offering 8-10k for this ridiculous thing. People will pay 8k, the buyers are out there.
    The sign is cool, definitely, but not worth 8k. Stern is foolish for not remaking these and rolling in the money. Is this made by a 3rd party contractor?
    It’s not 8k worth of sign, it’s just a very cool, rare piece because once again Stern makes weird business decisions.
    Which reminds me, JJP hinted that they’ll soon be offering neon logo signs for sale.

I think the contractor Stern used went belly up, so a new mold would have to be made. The outside is a vac form that is 1/4" thick or so....so you are looking at a machine the size they use for hot tubs. I cannot imagine how much material is needed to make the buck alone. Then there is some solid metal framework across the whole back of the unit. I would estimate the weight to be closer to 200lb total.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

How much for just the large shiny ball in the bag?

$8000, comes with a cool holder for it that is about 8' long.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:I think the contractor Stern used went belly up, so a new mold would have to be made. The outside is a vac form that is 1/4" thick or so....so you are looking at a machine the size they use for hot tubs. I cannot imagine how much material is needed to make the buck alone. Then there is some solid metal framework across the whole back of the unit. I would estimate the weight to be closer to 200lb total.

PM sent.

#36 1 year ago

I saw one of these when I took the tour during Expo 2019 at the previous Stern Factory. It was above the arcade area where all the games were. Had one heck of a game on GB there! Good memories.

#37 1 year ago

This is now pending pickup today.

#38 1 year ago

There is one at our local bowling alley on the pipe stand. The operator I work for was interested, but they would not sell it. good luck with the sale.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I guess you missed the part where these are coveted and owned mostly by operators with large pinball arcades and not really by collectors? LTG is looking for one. Go to the District in Orlando and you will see one proudly over the games there in that multi-million dollar arcade/escape room/bar/restaurant. It looks amazing and bestows immediate prestige on the pinball lineup. That is why it exists. It looks great because it says Pinball Alley and has superb commercial build quality and lighting display.

Even if I did have room for this huge commercial sign at my house, I would also certainly want the real thing and not some cheesy plywood substitute. In the end I'm sure some are in private collections, but I would feel bad having one of these because they really do belong in a large commercial setting.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Even if I did have room for this huge commercial sign at my house, I would feel bad having one of these because they really do belong in a large commercial setting.

Pinball machines are also a huge commerial piece of equipment. Some of us have a lot of these commerial games in our personal collection but they were also made to belong in a commerial setting. So why feel bad?

#41 1 year ago

I have one of these as well (not for sale). Looking at your it is illuminating different then mine with the letters of pinball changing colors independently and the pop bumpers illuminating in sequence.

My pop bumpers stay on and the entire “Pinball Alley” change colors together.

I’d have to pull the games back they are in front of it. I’m just wondering if there are different illumination settings on it now as ours are both animating differently.

Hmmmm

53AB7C95-6D22-4D61-B672-81369FA4576B (resized).jpeg53AB7C95-6D22-4D61-B672-81369FA4576B (resized).jpegB52B0B1A-C958-4512-9387-FA433F579553 (resized).jpegB52B0B1A-C958-4512-9387-FA433F579553 (resized).jpegD30C7861-F8BE-4D47-A612-A32C6B69AD70 (resized).jpegD30C7861-F8BE-4D47-A612-A32C6B69AD70 (resized).jpegEB0BBC0B-4101-4941-8296-F4EBF46944A4 (resized).jpegEB0BBC0B-4101-4941-8296-F4EBF46944A4 (resized).jpeg
    #42 1 year ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I’d have to pull the games back they are in front of it. I’m just wondering if there are different illumination settings on it now as ours are both animating

I could be making this up, but when this topic last came up I researched the signs some since I was curious and my memory is that they do have different animations settings.

#43 1 year ago

And that is one Legit Deadpool costume !

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I have one of these as well (not for sale). Looking at your it is illuminating different then mine with the letters of pinball changing colors independently and the pop bumpers illuminating in sequence.
    My pop bumpers stay on and the entire “Pinball Alley” change colors together.
    I’d have to pull the games back they are in front of it. I’m just wondering if there are different illumination settings on it now as ours are both animating differently.
    Hmmmm[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There is a rotary knob on the back with around 8 settings. It’s pointing downward so you should still be able to get to it being wall mounted. It’s to the right of the power cord, on/off switch and fuse.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from RebelGuitars:

There is a rotary knob on the back with around 8 settings. It’s pointing downward so you should still be able to get to it being wall mounted.

Thanks for this...I am going to share that with the buyer.

#46 1 year ago

Now that I’ve seen pictures of it mounted and in action, it’s pretty sweet.

#47 1 year ago

Wrapping this up...the sign has been sold and is on its way to be used in a public arcade in southern New Jersey! I was able to test a few of the different light settings when the buyer picked it up...definitely several options on how the lettering and pop bumper lights function. Buyer is thrilled and I am happy to see it get put to use. As for demand for such a sign...I could have sold 10 of these easily at or above my asking price in the last 24 hours if shipping were available. There is definitely a market out there!

#48 1 year ago

I am going to mark this sold now so I can pay Pinside the donation, which will also shut down the thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-alley-sign and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.