(Topic ID: 196714)

STERN PINBALL 60 Day Warranty! Let's talk Warranties....

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pinball manufacture has the Best Customer Service?”

• Stern 22 votes
      15%
    • Jersey Jack Pinball 54 votes
      37%
    • Chicago Gaming Company 30 votes
      20%
    • Spooky 27 votes
      18%
    • Heighway 1 vote
      1%
    • American 5 votes
      3%
    • They are all about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. 8 votes
      5%

(Multiple choice - 147 votes by 131 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FullSizeRender (resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    CGC Warranty (resized).JPG
    JJP Warranty (resized).JPG
    maxresdefault-2 (resized).jpg
    Products (resized).png
    willy-wonka-fine-print-2 (resized).jpg
    84523c2424ba7176c7f6645ad66d3629bdef53d6 (resized).jpg
    Stern Warranty (resized).jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hey everyone how about our good old frugal friends at Stern Pinball. Ever think of buying a NIB 9K LE or how about a crazy over priced Super LE. You know about 15k worth of Crazy. I'm going to spend all this money on a new in box pinball machine. I won't buy used because on a item that expensive I would feel alot better knowing that I will have a full year of trouble free won't cost me any money our of my pockets if anything goes wrong service. RIGHT? ....... WRONG! you get the jelly of the month club here fellas. 60 Days that's as long as you get and on some items of the pin they say has no coverage. While JJP is offering 1 year and CGC is giving 1 year on standard and Special editions. Their Limited Edition will come with an additional 1 year giving you a total of a 2 year warranty. Let's run through some warranty policies these companies are having and why are they having them in the first place.

Start naming manufactures and what you know about their warranties.

Who has the Best?

Who has the Worst?

#2 6 years ago

Spooky gets my vote

#3 6 years ago

What is the current warranty for a Spooky product? Does anyone know?

#5 6 years ago

Stern stands behind their product far more than 60 days no matter what their warranty says.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern stands behind their product far more than 60 days no matter what their warranty says.

Sorry but that is just not good enough. It they stand behind their games they should put it in writing. This is near and dear to me and a clear written warranty on basics like boards would make me MUCH happier buying from them.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

Sorry but that is just not good enough. It they stand behind their games they should put it in writing. This is near and dear to me and a clear written warranty on basics like boards would make me MUCH happier buying from them.

Well if it's not good enough for you then by all means don't buy their product. It's good enough for me though and I believe that they stand behind their products pretty well and I will continue to buy from them as long as they treat me fairly.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well if it's not good enough for you then by all means don't buy their product. It's good enough for me though and I believe that they stand behind their products pretty well and I will continue to buy from them as long as they treat me fairly.

Fair enough glad you have the confidence and good experience with them. My only warranty thing with them, bad dmd, didn't go well and I have been sceptical since.

#9 6 years ago

60 days is an insulting warranty. I do believe they stand behind there product. Just for NO longer then 60 days. If you have owned a NIB stern and 4 months later your board goes bad they are going to cover it? Free of charge? Then why do they say 60 days on there website and All of there support information? This makes no sense to me. Not making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Lots of manufactures are starting to do this in the Amusement industry. This usually means that the products that are being used to make the games are not as reliable for long periods of time. Be upset down vote if you must. Check my collection I buy alot of new Stern pinballs. I love there products. I just think there written warranty is BS. We are all spending alot of money here. Is it wrong to ask for a longer warranty that protects the consumer?

#10 6 years ago

You won't find a single person that has been told by Stern they are at 61 days and won't be supported.

The "real" Stern warranty is more like 1 to 2 years.

End thread.

#11 6 years ago

it should be 60 days after the completion of code

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

60 days is an insulting warranty. I do believe they stand behind there product. Just for NO longer then 60 days. If you have owned a NIB stern and 4 months later your board goes bad they are going to cover it? Free of charge? Then why do they say 60 days on there website and All of there support information? This makes no sense to me. Not making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Lots of manufactures are starting to do this in the Amusement industry. This usually means that the products that are being used to make the games are not as reliable for long periods of time. Be upset down vote if you must. Check my collection I buy alot of new Stern pinballs. I love there products. I just think there written warranty is BS. We are all spending alot of money here. Is it wrong to ask for a longer warranty that protects the consumer?

If you don't like it then don't buy it....

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I'm going to spend all this money on a new in box pinball machine. I won't buy used because on a item that expensive I would feel alot better knowing that I will have a full year of trouble free won't cost me any money our of my pockets if anything goes wrong service. RIGHT? ....... WRONG!

You show Star Wars and Spider Man Vault in your collection. What's up with that?

#14 6 years ago

In my experience the actual warranty is more like 6 months and sometimes longer depending on the item. It seems to be entirely up to the mood of the tech on the phone. Usually the answer is yes when asking for some type of reasonable concession, but I have heard no enough to point it out on this thread.

#15 6 years ago

Listen guys I will touch on 2 comments
    #1 This one is pretty simple. If I sell you something and put in writing 60 days but I tell you verbally more like 1 or 2 years does that seem a tad shady? Ok 1 or 2 years You do understand that is double correct? That's pretty dam vague if you ask me. The issue is companies are slowly changing there warranty in writing and if you do not voice your opinion they will start enforcing there new policy. It says what it says. This is the same as the ghosting hazing terminology crap. If you read it it clearly states 60 Day Warranty  |  Printed Circuit & Game Logic Boards 9 Month Warranty on Dot Matrix Display Boards. THATS IT! Nothing else. Last I checked there was a lot of other things in a pinball machine. So some thing are not covered from the very first day. You guys cant be good with that language. AGAIN perhaps they have always given a 1 year warranty and stand behind there products. But this new writing should have everyone concerned prior buying a new Stern. This thread was intended to shed light on ALL manufactures warranties and what is covered.

#2 I love stern games My current Favorite is Star Wars LE. I have always been a huge fan of there products. Some of the best games ever made PERIOD! That is not the intended point. The reference was to show people the old difference from buying a used pin with no warranty and save money or buy a new pin that we used to feel great buying with a 1 or 2 year warranty. If they do go by what they write on their manuals and on their web site then the difference of buying new opposed to used is a 60 day partial warranty.

I know I have not been a member of Pinside for that long. However I have been in the industry for a very long time Sales , Distribution, and Amusement Operations. When joining Pinside I thought this was a great place to help other people that share the same enthusiasm in pinball. To help one another. That is exactly my intention. Shed some light on the changing industry. If you voice your opinion people will listen and make the corrections needed to better their company. If you say that Stern is only putting it in writing and they will not enforce it Then I ask you would you be OK with It if they started to enforce it? JUST A THOUGHT WE WOULD LOVE TO KNOW.

#16 6 years ago

Your thread title is completely different than your poll.

Warranty and customer service are different.

I asked a question in the node thread. Has anyone had to pay for a node board yet? No one has. So which is better Sterns warranty or their customer service?

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

If you say that Stern is only putting it in writing and they will not enforce it Then I ask you would you be OK with It if they started to enforce it? JUST A THOUGHT WE WOULD LOVE TO KNOW.

#18 6 years ago

PinballManiac40 ... Why did you down vote? I would love to know what you disagree with.

#19 6 years ago

Stern is a Great Company. Let's do our part to keep them that way. I do not want anyone to stop buying a new Stern Game. I want the complete opposite. I want them to be flooded with sales so They can continue to invest in the future of Pinball. I just do not want them to enforce their warranty policy that is buried in their website or in your service manual that is given to you AFTER you buy the game.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

it should be 60 days after the completion of code

Then a lifetime warranty on some Games?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Anyone who posts a "wavy finger guy" emoji gets an instant thumbs down regardless of other content.

#22 6 years ago

I understand you are a fan of Stern. I'm a fan as well but we do not have to defend something that we know seems wrong. I would love someone to tell me why I think this way is so wrong? I got a few down votes. What's the big deal with what was said. I'm really hoping someone can prove me wrong. That is the intention of the thread. Not just Stern All manufactures. When I saw sterns warranty policy that is when I started researching warranties. In the past I was so used to 1 year standard. That was my shock. As someone who has bought 30+ NIB sterns this year alone I was a little upset when i read as per sterns policy in writing I have no warranty on this investment.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I understand you are a fan of Stern. I'm a fan as well but we do not have to defend something that we know seems wrong. I would love someone to tell me why I think this way is so wrong? I got a few down votes. What's the big deal with what was said. I'm really hoping someone can prove me wrong. That is the intention of the thread. Not just Stern All manufactures. When I saw sterns warranty policy that is when I started researching warranties. In the past I was so used to 1 year standard. That was my shock. As someone who has bought 30+ NIB sterns this year alone I was a little upset when i read as per sterns policy in writing I have no warranty on this investment.

I tend to think that Stern put this warranty in place for operators. I have not seen one example of anyone being denied warranty service on day 61. Hell, I haven't seen anyone denied service on day 366 either. What is more important is the actions Stern takes when a customer calls.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Anyone who posts a "wavy finger guy" emoji gets an instant thumbs down regardless of other content.

#25 6 years ago

I should have made this topic different I guess. If you are a Cheerleader for a great company THAT CAN DO NO WRONG. Come shake your poms poms over here. Great to see that not only girls can be Cheerleaders. Way to Go!

#26 6 years ago

Kermit also please know a very well known fact. If it was not for operators Pinball would not be as strong as it is today. We buy alot of pinball machines. We make up the majority of the purchases in all pinball. We also put manufactures games on display for all to enjoy and fall in love with. I also have a personal collection. I should get a different warranty then everyone else. Ok sure if that's there policy then tell us that. Tell us that commercial use gets this and residential gets that. But wait it does not say that anywhere. The pitch on there site is ALL purchases is subject to 60 days warranty.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

If you are a Cheerleader for a great company THAT CAN DO NO WRONG.

There are at least 200 threads in recent months relating to the service/quality control issue of pinball companies.

We all love great pinball, CLEARLY we all understand and live through every companies issues and things that they get WRONG.

The people like me that buy pins from all of them know what's up issue wise from A to Z and buy what we like. Period.

#28 6 years ago

Great you buy from all and do your home work so you can make an educated purchase. I agree 100% But the question was if they enforce what they put in writing are you ok with it? Are you ok with a 60 Day Warranty?

#29 6 years ago

I get the OP's point. The written warranty is 60 days, which means STERN has the right to deny any claim after that point. It's all well and good that STERN has made good after the fact for so many, but WHAT IF that practice came to a halt as another cost cutting procedure? The uproar would just as much, or if not more than the ghosting is normal clauses in the manuals.

The fact is it's a 60 day written warranty, they are under zero obligation for anything else.

#30 6 years ago

100%

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Kermit also please know a very well known fact. If it was not for operators Pinball would not be as strong as it is today. We buy alot of pinball machines. We make up the majority of the purchases in all pinball. We also put manufactures games on display for all to enjoy and fall in love with. I also have a personal collection.

Please update the Pinside map of where all these new games are on display being operated in our area, I'd love to know

#32 6 years ago

Their 60 days is a safety net so that if they make a real stinker and it falls apart they have some shielding from going bankrupt tying to send new playfields to everyone. They most likely will cover the issue but if its en mass they will refuse and save themselves by hiding behind their warranty. Just like how they defined ghosting/sinking inserts as normal and expected to happen, where that would have been unthinkable just a year ago.

#33 6 years ago

Cappi.. I hear you but it does not make me feel any better.

#34 6 years ago

I had stern give me support and send me parts for my xmle 5 years after I bought it. I think stern stands behind their products, but this sounds like something a lawyer would have written up to protect stern. At the end of the day it's a pinball machine and stuff breaks. If it's normal wear and tear I could see stern saying that's how these work. If it's a design issue they should take care of it and in my experience they have.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Cappi.. I hear you but it does not make me feel any better.

Oh your right, you never know when you call them what they will say, like someone said earlier that its up to the mood of the tech taking your call (what it will feel like thats for sure). I'm sure its really more the company stance/policy and the state of how things are going. If its a slow quarter for issues and they are doing great with sales, your probably set, but if there is some new playfield warping issue that has made a new release virtually unplayable, I don't think your getting much help after 60 days.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You won't find a single person that has been told by Stern they are at 61 days and won't be supported.
    End thread.

In years past, absolutely! Incredible warranty & customer service, & a great product. But, the OP has a reason for concern. Everything Stern has done over the past 2 years is to make a cheaper stripped down product to increase profit margins, all while raising prices to the consumer. Now, you have the new play field ghosting is normal disclosure on all Stern products, plus your new & improved incredibly short 60 day warranty.

#37 6 years ago

My company operates over 250 locations in the US. Bowling alleys, Bars Resturaunts, Fun Centers, Trampoline parks, Bounce House Centers, Movie Theaters, Ice & Roller Skating Rinks, Theme Parks and Resorts. My company is not what is in question. I have been in the Amusement Industry over the past 15 years. Pins are not that profitable in Sout Florida most of my pins are Northern Florida and out of state. However since the resurgence of pinball We will be populating the South Florida area with current equipment.

I will keep the community posted with our progress.

Thank you

#38 6 years ago

I feel your pain, and can empathize.

Really most all posts are accurate....
    As Consumers, we want and expect a degree of perfection, and we wage war on social media.

All I can say, is the degree with which everyone can be made happy.

I just roughly calculated I have retailed, around 7 million pieces, over my career, and I know I have a couple dozen
    people I have failed.

My son just complained why all products arent made like the precision of Apple.

All this doesnt negate what you want, its just a bit more tricky when it comes to balance sheets, and who's making the
    decisions. (Owners, Shareholders, Lawyers, etc)

Cappi is correct that sometimes warranty can be based solely on communication.

Profit is a dirty word today, and now retired, a blessing not to have to battle for pennies on a dollar to stay afloat.

( I cant tell you how many communications, in the 3 businesses I ran include...I know you are making a lot.....
    I need cheaper, the best in the world, the best warranty, and the lowest price)

Perhaps if you have a specific issue in hand, a second chance might help.

....I hope.....

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

End thread.

Unless the manufacturer makes a commitment in writing, it's not a warranty. Whatever they do for you is good will.

While it's great that the Techs at Stern, in general, are very willing to help out, and sometimes even beyond expectations, Stern's actual warranty on such an expensive, brand new product is pathetic.

Almost nothing is warranted, and the warranty starts the day the pin is shipped from the factory to the distributor - NOT WHEN YOU PURCHASE IT.

"Printed circuit boards (game logic): 2 months
    Dot Matrix Display boards: 9 months
    No other parts of seller's product are warranted.

Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from the seller to its authorized distributors."

Based on the good will service provided by Stern's techs, they obviously can and should provide a much more comprehensive and committed warranty. IMO.

Stern should make their "real" warranty real.

Stern Warranty (resized).jpgStern Warranty (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

However since the resurgence of pinball We will be populating the South Florida area with current equipment.
    I will keep the community posted with our progress.
    Thank you

Good luck with that, what are you populating them with?

I would think a SW pro, given the cost, would be a big earner on location like it is for other route ops and the ROI would be excellent.

As for the stated warranty from Stern I'm sure the distros who have to implement the program and make it work and deal with us customers aren't concerned about the stated warranty.

I have zero concern that Stern, through its distros won't keep providing awesome service like I've gotten on all of my games. Thankfully, i have purchased only 1 Stern pin, a BM66LE, that needed any actual "customer service".

At the end of the day, you F your end consumer your business goes to shit, that isn't going to happen.

As an attorney, I can see why Stern did what they did, there groups of people that you will never make happy no matter what and I'm sure that is where that "60 day warranty" is aimed at.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Profit is a dirty word today, and now retired, a blessing not to have to battle for pennies on a dollar to stay afloat.

"Profit" as you know Art, is what keeps people employed with jobs and pinball machines coming off the line.

The consumer does NOT get to decide how much profit a company should or shouldn't make.

If we the consumer don't like the end product coming off the line then we get to vote with our wallets. Period end of story.

I'm sick of the crybaby "money grab", "too much profit" whiners. Just don't buy if you don't like it. You aren't ENTITLED to jack shit when it comes to pricing or how much profit you think is right or wrong.

And, if you don't like the quality, the warranty and/or the pricing its really simple, JUST DON'T BUY!

Past loyal customers like Zamp have had enough. Others don't see it that way yet.

#42 6 years ago

So, the warranty starts from when Stern shipped it to the dist?

84523c2424ba7176c7f6645ad66d3629bdef53d6 (resized).jpg84523c2424ba7176c7f6645ad66d3629bdef53d6 (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

So, the warranty starts from when Stern shipped it to the dist?

That's what it says.

Of course if they went with the letter of the warranty, you'd hear a lot more bitching about Stern on Pinside. They've clearly decided as a corporate policy to provide goodwill coverage far beyond what it says on the page.

Obviously it's an individual decision whether you're comfortable relying on Stern's history of service vs the meager coverage the written warranty promises.

#44 6 years ago

I gotta say I am impressed with Stern. They answer my emails in a timely fashion and come up with a solution. I am happy with them!

#45 6 years ago

Yeah Ted, that obviously won't hold up in litigation. Promissory Estoppel, unjust enrichment etc...breach of implied warranties including "fit for a particular purpose" etc.

It's not just the EXPRESS WARRANTIES they make or don't make, there are promises and IMPLIED WARRANTIES we as consumers can rely on.

And that would be an issue if I were the distributor I'd be picking up the phone right now because their ass is certainly on the hook as well.

#46 6 years ago

Yeah...it could sit with the dist for 6 months!

#47 6 years ago

Stern has been good but they can turn at any moment with this fine print.

GOOD DAY SIR!

willy-wonka-fine-print-2 (resized).jpgwilly-wonka-fine-print-2 (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"Profit" as you know Art, is what keeps people employed with jobs and pinball machines coming off the line.
    The consumer does NOT get to decide how much profit a company should or shouldn't make.
    If we the consumer don't like the end product coming off the line then we get to vote with our wallets. Period end of story.
    I'm sick of the crybaby "money grab", "too much profit" whiners. Just don't buy if you don't like it. You aren't ENTITLED to jack shit when it comes to pricing or how much profit you think is right or wrong.
    And, if you don't like the quality, the warranty and/or the pricing its really simple, JUST DON'T BUY!
    Past loyal customers like Zamp have had enough. Others don't see it that way yet.

My point is simply the changes in Retail that the Internet has brought.
    The references would be Big Box stores, Amazon, Mergers, etc.
    The internet allows instant consumer shopping for the lowest price.
    Take electronics. A few years ago people went to the stores to look at the products, than low price them on the
    net. Many companies did not adapt fast enough.

Stern is still old school....its easy to see when one tours the factory.
    We know with perhaps QC issues, or this thread.
    We vote by buying the games we like, from the manufacturers we like.
    We all want the lowest price. We saw Stern rail that in with MSRP controls, but yet there are discounts.

My overall point is Profits are needed, and consumers want the best at the lowest Price.
    If these are both true, than the competitiveness, where there isnt a monopoly, is often in warranty, service, or hidden cost cutting.

If this graphic is true, its an endless cycle. If its a unique themed pin, which they all are, or an Iphone...the graphic has different but still applicable issues.

we are in agreement, Ice, just different perspectives based on being either the consumer or manufacturer, in position.

Products (resized).pngProducts (resized).png

#49 6 years ago

That being said do you think stern will make a Willie Wonka pinball I would buy it.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

60 days is an insulting warranty. I do believe they stand behind there product. Just for NO longer then 60 days. If you have owned a NIB stern and 4 months later your board goes bad they are going to cover it? Free of charge?

I bought a GOT Prem, I was second owner, and well outside of the 60 days a light on one of the LED boards went out. Stern treated it as "under warranty" and replaced it free of charge.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-60-day-warranty-lets-talk-warranties and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.