Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2907 (resized).JPG
IMG_2906 (resized).JPG
IMG_2904 (resized).JPG
IMG_2905 (resized).JPG
IMG_2903 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I got some new pics and played the new "the pin" Spider-Man. Game plays and feels pretty good, the outer orbit was a pita to hit and the ramps were okay, little clunky on the turn around. I think if they were ~$2-2.5k street price it is a good deal.

IMG_2903 (resized).JPGIMG_2903 (resized).JPG

IMG_2905 (resized).JPGIMG_2905 (resized).JPG

IMG_2904 (resized).JPGIMG_2904 (resized).JPG

IMG_2906 (resized).JPGIMG_2906 (resized).JPG

IMG_2907 (resized).JPGIMG_2907 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Game plays and feels pretty good, the outer orbit was a pita to hit and the ramps were okay, little clunky on the turn around. I think if they were ~$2-2.5k street price it is a good deal.

I played it also... couldn't make it through three balls. It felt too much like a toy. That said, I agree... at a price of $2-2.5k the value could be there... especially for those that don't regularly play pinball... but for those that do I imagine for the same $2-2.5k they'd rather buy an older classic.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

That said, I agree... at a price of $2-2.5k the value could be there... especially for those that don't regularly play pinball... but for those that do I imagine for the same $2-2.5k they'd rather buy an older classic.

The game is not meant for collectors like us. It is meant for first time entry levels buyers that want something brand new with a warranty with limited mechs that won't be breaking down all the time.

#4 7 years ago

as long as we are making up completely imaginary figures at what we'd like to believe Stern could make and sell this for...

I think it would be a great deal at 1.5 K

It would be an even better deal at $500!

#5 7 years ago

I would take one if you gave me $350.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I would take one if you gave me $350.

I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The game is not meant for collectors like us. It is meant for first time entry levels buyers that want something brand new with a warranty with limited mechs that won't be breaking down all the time.

Not to be a dick....... Where are these non savvy pinball playing people with a extra 4k for a expensive toy.

Dont see a market in it sorry.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Not to be a dick....... Where are these non savvy pinball playing people with a extra 4k for a expensive toy.
Dont see a market in it sorry.

Stern believes there is an entry level market for them. It's not that they are non-savvy. It is people that want a single game for their man cave and don't want the headache of a 20 year old used game.

I don't think 4K is a good price point but perhaps that will come down.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern believes there is an entry level market for them. It's not that they are non-savvy. It is people that want a single game for their man cave and don't want the headache of a 20 year old used game.
I don't think 4K is a good price point but perhaps that will come down.

One of the problems with their game plan is the thought process.

Just starting with the overall design being smaller than a full size machine instills the perception of being a toy. Even if they scaled down the full size game 25% and you put side by side most here would feel it was a toy or lesser model per say.

Trying to grab this small market on the current game plan does not seem like a winning combination.

#10 7 years ago

The only feedback on this model, "the pin", that I get is from pinside. It's is discusssed here as a total failure. Stern has made several of these. It would be interesting to know the actual costs and sales numbers. They (Stern) don't appear to be giving up.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

The only feedback on this model, "the pin", that I get is from pinside. It's is discusssed here as a total failure. Stern has made several of these. It would be interesting to know the actual costs and sales numbers. They (Stern) don't appear to be giving up.

And thats where our extra dollars are going..... free R&D

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

And thats where our extra dollars are going..... free R&D

Not a bad way to r&d, we wouldn't have a Spike system

Ummmm it is easier now to type on a laptop.

The pin head looks about the same size as a normal head. Almost like a copy of the new gen lcd head with a "dmd" instead. The pf looked about the same size, hard to tell fully. Maybe a tad shorter? The game felt just fine when holding the cabinet. The lock down bar was weird feeling. The game had some mad flow, but the orbits were a pita to hit, not sure if they just moved everything so close to the flippers or what.

As an entry level game for NON PIN people, this would be a HUGE improvement on what is available. If this was priced different/cheaper, I would consider this for family/friends that like pinball but not big into the hobby. As a Pin enthusiast, it isn't something you'll buy, we get it.

Now I should go see if my local distrib lowered the price on the old "the pin"

5 months later
#13 6 years ago

I actually kind of like this concept. I am no newbie - I've been playing pinball for the past 40 years. I do prefer the early SS classics, and have absolutely zero interest in modern games, but this one seems to hit a sweet spot for me. I currently have 5 machines, ranging from 1976 through 1989 (Night Moves). 3 of my games are from 1980/81.

Modern games are way too complicated for me, this one has a great look to it and seems not to be overly complicated, and a good way for me to have the NIB experience. I ordered one today after watching the 2 hour Dead Flip video for the second time. The game seems like fun to me. I don't care about toys, and multi-levels, and this seems just about right for me to be a part of the modern pinball experience.

Is the price a little high? Probably, but I wanted it. And the best part is, I can now post some new material on my YouTube channel.

#14 6 years ago

Congrats!

I've been watching the two hour deadflip and man the game is so much deeper rule wise then I thought! What is your stream! I'll watch that

#15 6 years ago

We played this at Yegpin 2017. One of our sponsors, Nitro Pinball, brought it along. I'm glad they let us try it, it was actually a blast! My only complaint would probably be the somewhat flimsy ball return ramp (wobbles a little bit but probably no worse than EATPM). Some solenoids are tied together and fire simultaneously, but honestly, it's barely noticeable (I had to actually point it out to my friend). I really loved the simplicity of the "Save Mary Jane" captive ball feature, I had never seen this done on a pin before. If I had more money (and space for more than 1 pin) I would actually consider it.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Congrats!
I've been watching the two hour deadflip and man the game is so much deeper rule wise then I thought! What is your stream! I'll watch that

I don't have a stream, I just post videos. Here's the last one I posted...

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

And here's a vid I made today of the Spider-Man machine ...

#18 6 years ago

Nice! How are you liking it as a "new" style game vs the ems?

I see akm posted another video and kind of went into depth on rules and scoring he does commentary over the game to explain things.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Nice! How are you liking it as a "new" style game vs the ems?
I see akm posted another video and kind of went into depth on rules and scoring he does commentary over the game to explain things.
» YouTube video

I am really liking this game! I watched the commentary video as well, at least it explained why I was getting a S-P-I-D-E-R letter spotted when I hit the MJ target. It also helped me to understand that you need to make the shots BOTH ways to defeat the villains.

I don't have any EM games. I do like them, but are slow and troublesome to me. I have early SS games, Including 3 cocktails.

I'm on vacation now, and can't wait to wake up and play some more. But I wait until 11 AM as I have to consider my neighbors!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I am really liking this game! I watched the commentary video as well, at least it explained why I was getting a S-P-I-D-E-R letter spotted when I hit the MJ target. It also helped me to understand that you need to make the shots BOTH ways to defeat the villains.
I don't have any EM games. I do like them, but are slow and troublesome to me. I have early SS games, Including 3 cocktails.
I'm on vacation now, and can't wait to wake up and play some more. But I wait until 11 AM as I have to consider my neighbors!

Oh my bad, SS games.

Great! Glad you like it. I need to play it again. Only had a couple games on it at CES.

3 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

Although I understand why people might have disdain for this machine, like Chippe I'm in NYC where people often don't have room to buy a large pack of paper towels, let alone a pinball machine.

While I havent seen it in person, I actually like that the head unit is smaller and lower, making it less visually obtrusive in a living room.

Of course I'd love to have space for a game room with several machines, but for me a machine this size might be the ticket.

I first learned of the machine from a YouTube video tour of Sterns factory, where they mentioned it might be sold in Costco one day, which would be ideal, Since one is close by and they have a great return policy in case it has issues or doesn't live up to expectations.

I do agree that $4k is a bit steep. Hoping to find this discounted or used.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

Hey I just picked up an EM, 1971/2 Gottlieb Playball and the top 2 pop bumpers fire at the same time! The lower one is on its own. So hey...it is just a cool throw back

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pin-spiderman?hl=stlokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.