Topic poll

“Stern or data east star wars”

• Stern pro star wars 40 votes
    66%
  • Data east star wars 21 votes
    34%

(61 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Thinking of getting rid of my high speed to make room for a star wars pin. Just asking peoples opinions on which one they prefer. I have played a stern pro and liked it. I have not had the chance to play a data east one. My price range would be around the used pro range which is right around where the date east seems to be priced too.

#2 5 years ago

DE one is super over priced and a collectors item.
Stern SW is an awesome game.
Guess DE has newer code to work out it not sucking as bad as before?

#3 5 years ago

Stern SW Pro by far

#4 5 years ago

I recently played a data east star wars and it was really underwhelming and poorly lit. I’d love to play a nice one. I really like the stern Star Wars, nice music and video clips along with a fast playing pin.

#5 5 years ago

is there a neither option?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I recently played a data east star wars and it was really underwhelming and poorly lit. I’d love to play a nice one.

They're all pretty underwhelming.

#7 5 years ago

DESW is a bit overpriced for what it is, just because it's star wars.

The custom code update helps a bit.

Out of all the star wars games, I probably have the most fun with DESW just because it feels like it has the right balance of everything that I like about star wars.

Stern's SW game just feels too generic and empty to me and doesn't have the heart that DESW does.

#8 5 years ago

Star Wars pins are so frustrating... 3 different pins made for this franchise and none of them are slam dunk awesome to me.

I've been a huge Star Wars fan since I was 8 years old... and of all the pins, I've never owned and probably will never own is a Star Wars themed pin. Drives me nuts.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Star Wars pins are so frustrating... 3 different pins made for this franchise and none of them are slam dunk awesome to me.
I've been a huge Star Wars fan since I was 8 years old... and of all the pins, I've never owned and probably will never own is a Star Wars themed pin. Drives me nuts.

There’s been 4 Star Wars pins. Data East Star Wars, Sega Star Wars Trilogy, Williams pinball 2000 Star Wars episode one, and stern Star Wars. None really lived up to the hype/potential of fans or collectors.

#10 5 years ago

Stern SW.

#11 5 years ago

You REALLY need to play both before deciding. Just because it says SW on it, doesn't mean you'll want to pay thousands to own it. That said, I used to want the DE SW as a Grail when I was just getting into the hobby because it was a cool looking SW game. After playing it, I could never pay the asking price for it now, and it would get boring fast. The stern SW was my most anticipated game ever, and I was extremely let down. It's still a fun game, but really feels like you're overpaying for movie assets on the screen and not much pinball interaction. I'm still considering a stern SW premium, but no chance on the DE anymore after playing more advanced deeper games.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

There’s been 4 Star Wars pins. Data East Star Wars, Sega Star Wars Trilogy, Williams pinball 2000 Star Wars episode one, and stern Star Wars. None really lived up to the hype/potential of fans or collectors.

Forgot about Ep 1 (pinball 2000) one... thats how much it made a mark on me.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

There was the Hankin Empire Strikes Back too

#14 5 years ago

Once you gat passed the the high expectations of the stern sw it’s actually a pretty bad ass game. I have a le. I was so pissed at the reveal that I did not buy.
In fact I waited for code. I think it’s one of my most fun pins.

#15 5 years ago

I've only played the Stern version but I was pretty disappointed.

#16 5 years ago

I have kinda the same feeling as @forceflow. Will get the rom to try in mine at a later date seeing the game itself needs some work. Was expecting a great all around game from stern but even with code updates not impressed for the price. If you were to pull the video screen which is where they put their most effort and i get why the game would get panned way more more. The Sega one is not all that great either. But as for as the pin2000 i say it is in a tie with the Hankin one.

1 Star Wars DE
2 Star Wars-stern-le hope it gets better
3 Star Wars Trilogy Sega
4 Star Wars Episode I Williams

As a kid at the time of the data east one i was more then thrilled with it. As to the others i played them later and wasn't as impressed so maybe this has something to due with my choice.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

There was the Hankin Empire Strikes Back too

And Segasa Star Wars

#18 5 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said I have only played the Stern pro version and liked it. I didn't get a lot of time on it as it was on location and there were other game I was pumping money into also.

#19 5 years ago

I lean towards Stern only because of the light show. Neither are really games I love but both play well. I put enough money into DE back in the day because the pizza place my friend worked at had it and Mary Shelley Frankenstein to choose from. Today I would probably end up buying that rather than the Star Wars knowing that I could fix the weak flippers.

#20 5 years ago

The data east Star Wars is better than the stern Star Wars all day long if you have pinsound, color DMD, a good LED job, the current code, and upgraded speakers. Absolutely no question.

The artwork is better, and… Imagine this… It’s actually fun and approachable

#21 5 years ago

Huge Star Wars fan, but I don't like Stern Star Wars at all.

DE Star Wars is absolutely awful, though. The layout LOOKS interesting, but it's poor.

#22 5 years ago

I' m a big Star Wars fan and i'm not impressed with any of the Star Wars pins out there. I'm hoping JJP gets a chance to show what they can do with the Star Wars license.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-or-data-east-star-wars?hl=bowtech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.