Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bhwolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

While I would love to see it, I don't think we will. Regarding the licensing, they could always abstract assets from code (it kind of already is) but make it so updates to the machine could be done separately. This is pretty common in video games -- thinking back to the original modding of engines started with Doom and look what it did. Heck, I'd be more inclined to buy a 'scratch' machine to tinker with if I could code it.

But I suspect a big reason is the perceived or possible actual devaluation of their IP. I say perceived because I don't think Stern is doing anything so magical it hasn't been done by others. But, they've trademarked Reel Pops, which is all software. I realize we're talking older games that don't have Reel Pops, but there are likely other things here and there and once it's out -- purposefully -- well, it doesn't help Stern. Sales on the secondary market don't help them. And, while I think Reel Pops are pretty innovative, it's the idea that is innovative, not the software to do it. That said, it could be there are under the covers coding that handles very complex situations, state, scoring, etc., they'd prefer not to release.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

IP is a whole other issue. They release a game with approved clips for image and sound. Then if not support but actually "encourage" people to hack and use clips that are pirate.
    So you don't like the voice actor we used for Jack Sparrow? We will "Make Available" a tool for you to insert ripped movie clips.
    Never.

True, but it's easy to change today (well, relatively, using pinball browser). Funny how many complications these issues cause... like the ColorDMD folks and how they actually color the dots without copying the data.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-open-source-code?tu=bhwolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.