(Topic ID: 139550)

Stern partners with farsight studios + VR!

By toyotaboy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 352 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
image (resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
colecovision-super-action-controller_(resized).png
ColecoVision-ExpMod1-Attached_(resized).jpg
sternfarsight_(resized).jpg
ghostbusters.jpg
11812420602341.jpg
2299450-asteroids_cabinet.jpg
stern_farsight.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 8 years ago

The licensing topic is interesting. Farsight has said in the past that the type of licenses that modern games (implying Stern) use are far too expensive for them. Heck, they had to have Kickstarters for 20-year-old movie and TV show licenses. If Stern rolls a digital recreation license into their initial agreement when doing a new pin, then I could see this working.

Seems like it would make recent pins like Star Trek, X-Men, etc. hard to do. I wonder if they'll be able to do Metallica. Metallica seemed pretty loose with restrictions and mostly into it for the love of the game rather than to make money.

Overall I'm curious if their strategy is geared towards out-of-production releases, or simultaneous releases with new tables as an advertising tool.

Also, the multiple app thing sounds annoying. This better come to PC and not just mobile as well.

3 months later
#206 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

It's entirely feasible to allow games on multiple platforms as all the game does is check if you purchased.
According to you though it makes more sense for me to pay for the same table four times if I want to play on PC, my android phone, my PS4, and my ipad.

Anything is feasible given enough time and money, but I don't think you're quite being realistic.

You are talking about 4 different platforms / app stores run by 4 different companies. If you want to have your software distributed on their platform, you play by their rules and go through them. They handle accounts, payments, authorizations, distribution, etc. It would be a large, complicated undertaking for Farsight to somehow tie all of these disparate systems and user accounts together. I don't know exactly how these APIs work, but it seems like they'd be doubling up on a lot of the same work - work that is usually saved by using an existing platform in the first place.

Zen Studios has said the same thing. They fully support any and all cross-buy type initiatives (PS3 to Vita, etc.) within the same ecosystem, but it's just not realistic to have anything that crosses ecosystems like you are describing. We aren't talking about EA or Ubisoft here.

You act like Farsight has all this in place, then some suit said, "Nah...let's just make those suckers pay multiple times".

If Farsight was distributing everything themselves through their own website or something and you paid and downloaded it directly though them and every version of the game used the same user accounts, it would be different. If that were the case and they made you buy, say, each table on the Mac version and PC version separately, then I would agree and call it greed.

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

The system already does this. It is simply a matter of configuring the system to recognize cross-platform ownership.

What "system" are you talking about? I believe your Farsight user account is only for high scores. Ownership/authorization is handled by the individual platforms, each with unique accounts that are in no way related. Completely separate systems and APIs. Steam can't authorize you to play the "Attack From Mars" DLC table on your computer because you bought the "Attack From Mars" DLC table on PSN. It has absolutely no way to know that.

Quoted from Sticky:

There is no technological limitation preventing verification of table ownership. None.

Multiple people have tried to explain that there really are. I'm not being a Farsight apologist or anything; I've bought everything on Steam and would love to have access to it on iOS, too. But that's not the world we live in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-officially-partners-with-farsight-studios?tu=Roo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.