(Topic ID: 139550)

Stern partners with farsight studios + VR!

By toyotaboy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 352 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
image (resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
colecovision-super-action-controller_(resized).png
ColecoVision-ExpMod1-Attached_(resized).jpg
sternfarsight_(resized).jpg
ghostbusters.jpg
11812420602341.jpg
2299450-asteroids_cabinet.jpg
stern_farsight.jpg

There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 8 years ago

It's really problematic for Farsight to ignore and outright avoid cabinet users as they stated in the past that they would support virtual cabinets. I want to continue to support them but why? If they won't meet the stated desires of a number of their customers in a way that should be doable in a reasonable manner, why should people continue to support their business?

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

If they won't meet the stated desires of a number of their customers in a way that should be doable in a reasonable manner, why should people continue to support their business?

Because they're the only game in town. A ton of their tables are also glitchy as hell. It's not like I can hope someone else gets all these licenses and does it better, I just have to live with it.

#53 8 years ago

Man what a kick in the balls

I heard Zen/PinballFX a few weeks ago & was so excited.

Farsight sucks.

They promised a legit full screen portrait option YEARS ago & even took a digital cabinet running their games to trade shows.

I know some dude is working on a mod but Farsight should release it in their software.

Now that I think about it this is the perfect match. Incomplete Stern code running on incomplete Farsight software.

Perfect

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Stern remembers 1979.

And 1980
1181242060234[1].jpg1181242060234[1].jpg

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Don't forget Action 52, the NES cart containing the legendary game "The Cheetahmen".
» YouTube video
Having said that, I'm super excited! I love TPA, and I have always wanted them to do games like ST, MET, AC/DC, etc.

They didnt do the NES version, they only did the Genesis version. AVGN reviewed it and said while there were more puzzle games, it was still much more enjoyable than the NES version

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

And 1980
1181242060234[1].jpg

Loved that game. (FU Evil Otto)

Anyhoo..
I get the feeling I'm in the minority here but I really enjoy Pinball Arcade.
I'd pay $10-$15 per table easily (on PC) for the newer tables.
However, if it's going to be a mobile only app, I'm not going to bother.

#57 8 years ago

Very cool! good news

#58 8 years ago

So will the code of the new Sterns games have to update 2 places now? Will we get Farsight #wheresthecode threads?

#59 8 years ago

The good thing is with virtual pinball farsight partnering up with stern is that we most likely get more updates on the game code.. The virtual players will boost stern in the code department too i foresee

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

VR is what I want. How cool would it be to be able to look around the playfield? Already with Pinball Arcade, I can't tell what's going on sometimes because of the static camera.

I've been waiting for something like that too! It will come in time. The Oculus Rift consumer version will be out Q1 next year.

Now combine a VR headset with a controller that is at the height and size of the front end of a pinball machine (think same height as a pin but 1 foot long) and that could be amazing. The controller wouldn't take up a lot of room either. I plan on building something like that just for VR pinball and playing in front of the TV using my XBOX One while waiting for a VR version.

#61 8 years ago

This has been in the works for awhile. Note Game of Thrones shown as game-ready 3D renders...
The code update concerns are legitimate here. Constant updates may keep you spending at the arcade to see what's new; buying an incomplete virtual game that requires updates is less fun. Stern's 'incomplete pinball' model really only works for operators (and developers), as marketing, it may be problematic.
Still, looking forward to playing Stern's tables virtually as they're released physically.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Farsight recently confirmed that they will not be supporting virtual cabinets, which may or may not be related to the Stern announcement.

Wow, that's too bad. Makese sense, though.

There's a lot more money in a partnership with Stern versus spending resources building a mode that a very small percentage of customers will ever use.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from PotWasher:

Stern's 'incomplete pinball' model really only works for operators (and developers), as marketing, it may be problematic.

Or it could be great if they launch a new "discover the secrets" virtual tournament every time new code rolls out.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've been waiting for something like that too! It will come in time. The Oculus Rift consumer version will be out Q1 next year.
Now combine a VR headset with a controller that is at the height and size of the front end of a pinball machine (think same height as a pin but 1 foot long) and that could be amazing. The controller wouldn't take up a lot of room either. I plan on building something like that just for VR pinball and playing in front of the TV using my XBOX One while waiting for a VR version.

FYI, a VR plugin in was released last year that worked quite well with the DK2 and Pinball Arcade. It recently broke with the latest SDK but it showed us the possibilities of home brew VR hacks if Farsight chooses not to develop that mode.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vrcade

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There's no questioning what a big part Pinball Arcade has had to do with the recent pinball surge. It will only drive interest to the real thing.

This is reality. It is a lot to do with wide ranging platforms as well, reaching broad markets.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from PotWasher:

This has been in the works for awhile. Note Game of Thrones shown as game-ready 3D renders...
The code update concerns are legitimate here. Constant updates may keep you spending at the arcade to see what's new; buying an incomplete virtual game that requires updates is less fun. Stern's 'incomplete pinball' model really only works for operators (and developers), as marketing, it may be problematic.
Still, looking forward to playing Stern's tables virtually as they're released physically.

Farsight tends to patch their game frequently on both PC and consoles (in noticing the version number of the software changing in the corner). I would think (and hope) if there's a Stern code update that it's patched in. They do need to update their interface as it's god awful.

#67 8 years ago

I find it curious that there will be reportedly be a separate, standalone version of PA exclusively for Stern titles.
Does that mean they will pull the Stern titles from the current pinball arcade and move them to "Stern Pinball Arcade"?
I kind of like having them all in one place. I'd rather not launch a different version of the same game just to get to a specific title.

Pinball Arcade...if it weren't for %*&#*&# incurable flipper-lag on the PC version I would actually still play it.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There's no questioning what a big part Pinball Arcade has had to do with the recent pinball surge. It will only drive interest to the real thing.

Quoted from Nemesis:

This is reality. It is a lot to do with wide ranging platforms as well, reaching broad markets.

It's what got me back into Pinball. I had all the Farsight games for the PS2 and PSP. the Williams Collection, the Gottlieb Collection. Was there a Bally Collection? Then loved it when they came out with the Pinball Arcade for iOS. I've been playing regularly since like 2009, or whenever it came out. And because of that, I had to find places to play real pinball machines, which eventually led me to buy my first one. And now all I'm thinking about is, how much do I want to save to purchase my second machine. All because of Farsight.

#69 8 years ago

Do ya ever think that stern might release a virtual cabinet? They make the box already. They could use this to take market share from virtuapin

#70 8 years ago

I'm not familiar with the non iOS platforms - is portrait mode only available on the iPhone/iPad and no other platform?

Would be awesome to have a vertical monitor in the gameroom with Farsight running.... But only if it supports portrait mode on a platform other than iOS.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

Pinball Arcade...if it weren't for %*&#*&# incurable flipper-lag on the PC version I would actually still play it.

I honestly haven't seen that in a while. And I've been playing it for a couple months with the newer tables.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

They could use this to take market share from virtuapin

Virtuapin has market share?

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm not familiar with the non iOS platforms - is portrait mode only available on the iPhone/iPad and no other platform?

TPA supports portrait mode, but it's not ideal for a cabinet from what I understand. Full cabinet support would require scaling everything properly, having a separate display for a DMD, having a separate display for the backbox, etc. Turn your PC monitor sideways I say, you're 90% of the way to the real fake pinball experience at 0% of the cost

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Truthfully it is the reason I am in this hobby.

ditto that. Ive always loved pinball but the farsight game got me into pinball as a hobby not just a 'play a game here and there'

#75 8 years ago

As a programmer myself, I find it interesting that this *should* allow Stern to leverage the Farsight engine as a development environment to deploy and test their code to the virtual game (and even automate tests) which should result in higher quality code developed faster with less bugs.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I honestly haven't seen that in a while. And I've been playing it for a couple months with the newer tables.

I've been playing it on PC since it came to Steam. But I've never noticed flipper lag......until this past weekend. But I thought I was just not paying attention enough because it only seemed like the right flipper was laggy.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from KokoNono:

Does that mean they will pull the Stern titles from the current pinball arcade and move them to "Stern Pinball Arcade"?
I kind of like having them all in one place. I'd rather not launch a different version of the same game just to get to a specific title.

Licensing is probably *much* easier (and cheaper) if the game is officially a Stern product. (ie, just roll the electronic license in with the wood,plastic&metal license during negotiations)

If Stern was really raking in the bucks like some here think they are, they would have bought a fairly large stake in Farsight IMO.

#78 8 years ago

I only hope its not exclusive, I'd like to see more 'new pins' like the JJHobbit on Pinball Arcade more so than the Stern games myself, but still great news.

I hope too they can share the costs of licensing and so each doesn't have to apply for separate licenses to create and release physical and virtual machines. That might open some of the more expensive licensing opportunities to both parties.

All around good news.

As for Zen, I play both, but they physics are much better in Pinball Arcade as is the sound. I also think ZEN games lack 'stingers' that make a game exciting. I should get a sound or a light display, or better both, for every point of contact in the game, too often you just get the dull thud of the ball.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I only hope its not exclusive, I'd like to see more 'new pins' like the JJHobbit on Pinball Arcade more so than the Stern games myself, but still great news.
I hope too they can share the costs of licensing and so each doesn't have to apply for separate licenses to create and release physical and virtual machines. That might open some of the more expensive licensing opportunities to both parties.
All around good news.
As for Zen, I play both, but they physics are much better in Pinball Arcade as is the sound. I also think ZEN games lack 'stingers' that make a game exciting. I should get a sound or a light display, or better both, for every point of contact in the game, too often you just get the dull thud of the ball.

It's exclusive...that's why it's branded with Stern's name.

However, that doesn't mean Farsight is stopping production of the regular Pinball Arcade. That could conceivably include pins from JJP, Heighway, Spooky, etc....

#80 8 years ago

Does this mean a better chance for finished code (i.e. no bugs or non used inserts)?

#81 8 years ago

I am very excited about this news, I can't wait to see some of the modern Sterns come to my IPad.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I have my graphics settings tweaked for least lag (thx steam forums) and if I tap the flipper button there's still always an ever-so-slight delay.
Before launching the ball try just pressing the flipper button several times in 2-3 second intervals w the sound up. You will notoce a subtle lag between when its depressed and the flipper sound effect. I thought I had it licked but its still there. Better after tweaks but still there. It drives me up the wall. In mobile version for me there's 0 lag and the difference is night and day. If u know something I don't let me know. I'm using the dx11 version.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Man what a kick in the balls
I heard Zen/PinballFX a few weeks ago & was so excited.
Farsight sucks.
They promised a legit full screen portrait option YEARS ago & even took a digital cabinet running their games to trade shows.
I know some dude is working on a mod but Farsight should release it in their software.
Now that I think about it this is the perfect match. Incomplete Stern code running on incomplete Farsight software.
Perfect

I agree and laughed out loud at the last comment.

Zen have some cool tables and play well.

maybe GoT will be the first Stern release given all the renders they have been providing us and they can make money on fairly quickly

#84 8 years ago

This will only drive sales and introduce pinball to new players in a familiar way (video games). Awesome news.

#85 8 years ago

It would be nice to not have two applications to play games, but it might be worth the hassle if Stern actually releases a good library of games. I bet they will cost a fortune to buy though.

#86 8 years ago

Cheering at this announcement. I now use the Pinball Arcade app to play games I potentially want to buy or just play because they aren't anywhere near me. Hopefully they start releasing new Stern tables soon.

#87 8 years ago

Maybe the whole deal is a tradeoff. Stern helps with licensing, if Farsight helps with the code. Not sure what kind of skill levels each source has, but since Farsight does a lot more coding in general, maybe they'd be able to work with Stern to better complete the code of the tables?

#88 8 years ago

They need to have adult mode on by default and make it so you don't have to pay to get into the settings menu / void tournaments to use it. Don't do GOT with that BS.

Why does this need to be it's own app? Unless they want to make only on pc's and newer IOS / android hardware. The 512 MB ones may not be able to fit the table engine + emu + rom in ram for the sam games. Now they can do the pre sam games + the old stern games. Also useing X86-64 powered pc games is very unlikely on a phone.

Now the sam games that stern does not have the right to any more may take some work to be done. Also with the new spike games being about 1GB in rom size with them needing to maybe down load the full ROM for each update.

Will kill peoples data plans and eat up a lot of phone storage.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Evan55:

As a programmer myself, I find it interesting that this *should* allow Stern to leverage the Farsight engine as a development environment to deploy and test their code to the virtual game (and even automate tests) which should result in higher quality code developed faster with less bugs.

Or they can use something the like the open source pinmame and or the ARM tool set to for code testing.

a lot of there automated test are hardware tests with real parts.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Why does this need to be it's own app?

If I were to guess, so they can set up a new pricing structure for the tables. I seriously doubt each table is only going to be $5.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Maybe the whole deal is a tradeoff. Stern helps with licensing, if Farsight helps with the code. Not sure what kind of skill levels each source has, but since Farsight does a lot more coding in general, maybe they'd be able to work with Stern to better complete the code of the tables?

From what I understand, Farsight only works on the hardware/platform emulator and physics engine and doesn't touch the ROMs at all. There are even some cases of bugs and typos in the original ROMs showing up in the virtual tables.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Will kill peoples data plans and eat up a lot of phone storage.

File compression can be used for file transfers, so that would save on download time at least.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

If I were to guess, so they can set up a new pricing structure for the tables. I seriously doubt each table is only going to be $5.

Yep, people are dumb and would complain about the price differences between tables (just like when they went from $3.50/table for the "old" games to $5/table for the newly developed games). It's probably better that it's a separate app than just uniformly increasing the prices of all tables. They might also need to change the terminology around "Pro".

So long as they don't do the BS pricing model of Ghostbusters it should be fine.

#93 8 years ago

It's about time somebody does this!

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

So long as they don't do the BS pricing model of Ghostbusters it should be fine.

I'm glad Ghostbusters retheme was as bad as it played. Means I didn't have to think about that silly pricing thing.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

think about that silly pricing thing.

Which was what? I was never interested in the re-theme so I never looked to see what the price was.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Which was what? I was never interested in the re-theme so I never looked to see what the price was.

It had a token system where you'd get free tokens over time but otherwise pay for more tokens to play. Unless they changed it, there was no way to just buy the table to play indefinitely.

Which is perfectly fine because a game on it would last 30 minutes (they modified the layout to make it easier) and the art was just awful. You wouldn't want to play it again anyway.

ghostbusters.jpgghostbusters.jpg

#97 8 years ago

I would hope that they can tie into the Stern Farsight app some sort of operator / distributor locating tool. What I mean is, you play the virtual Metallica game, you like it, then within the same app you can search for the nearest operator who has a real Metallica on location. You then go play the real Metallica game on location, you REALLY like it, then you can search for the nearest distributor who can sell you the real game. I bet most people who have the pinball arcade app have no clue where to find a game on location, let alone buy one.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from tsveng:

I would hope that they can tie into the Stern Farsight app some sort of operator / distributor locating tool. What I mean is, you play the virtual Metallica game, you like it, then within the same app you can search for the nearest operator who has a real Metallica on location. You then go play the real Metallica game on location, you REALLY like it, then you can search for the nearest distributor who can sell you the real game. I bet most people who have the pinball arcade app have no clue where to find a game on location, let alone buy one.

That would be a freaking awesome feature if they could implement it.

#99 8 years ago

This is awesome news. TPA along with my first real pinball table purchase is what got me into this hobby. It will be great to see newer Sterns digitized and it will only bring more and newer people into this hobby.

#100 8 years ago

I'm a longtime Pinball Arcade fan. I played lots from Zen too, but TPA really pushed my interest to pick up a real pinball machine and start learning how to take care of them. I still have the urge to pick up a Jive Time. Virtual is no real substitute but I find it a nice diversion and a great way to learn the rules.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-officially-partners-with-farsight-studios/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.