FAF2D7AE-68FB-46BD-9E6E-2FC35C40F61C (resized).jpeg
CAB57C73-24B8-4333-928D-C48E12F21CFA (resized).jpeg
31EFB38E-794B-48A0-B636-A8E6C4E085D1 (resized).jpeg
C6B01A0E-5323-4C46-93E9-E469D76272EE (resized).jpeg
597CF695-2738-4CA5-96EF-D379497CA90F (resized).jpeg
908BBEE2-3CFD-4410-9B27-96281930CC3B (resized).jpeg
EdgeOfTommorrow.gif
sotu619munstersacc2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#361 6 years ago

The new hires certainly seem to indicate that Stern realized they had a problem with programming they needed to address. Whether you think "throwing bodies" at it will help or not, it clearly indicates that Stern is working to improve. I don't know why anyone would take that negatively.

3 weeks later
#453 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Hopefully not another copy and paste on the code status updates.

Some of the new guys just started; I wouldn't have my expectations too high yet.

#484 6 years ago

The SW update was lighter than I hoped for but at least there was an update and it included one meaningful big fix.

#486 6 years ago

It is very positive that Stern is highlighting code updates for some past games and they have added staff to back it up and make it credible. You can't expect to bring on new resources and have code updates out the next month and they were clearly way behind and falling further behind with the resources they had up to this point. Whether it is the new resources that work on the older games or existing resources that take that on while new staff take on new projects; either way it's all bodes well for better, more complete code. I think we can take it to mean that Stern is feeling the competitive pressure and 'constructive' feedback and whether its Gary that cares or others, I'm just happy that some action is being taken and some credible statements are being made about what will be updated and when.

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What is anyone expecting at this point? The new versioning system of calling something "1.0" seems pretty clear that Dwight is calling SW done at this point, short of bug fixes and small tweaks.

I wasn’t expecting much. I was hoping for a little more. Rebellions are built on hope.

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you either don't hang out in the forums much, or you're illiterate.
My Sterns all have fine code, I'm happy; but this is garbage. I'm not worried though...i heard on a podcast tonight they brought in 3 new coders just to change the font and resolution.

I remember this with my AV receivers as well. The onscreen menus looked like crap for years before they got around to updating them to look decent on a HDTV. They will update it eventually but you can't expect it to be a high priority.

EDIT: The JJP screen looks great. They weren't dealing with legacy software, but looks like they did a nice job designing a service menu that takes advantage of the LCD screen.

#511 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I know DI is popular but I agree with Elwin's latest interview that games have got too complex, deep, so only the best players have half a chance of finishing them.
He says 30 minutes maximum to complete a game. Another reason I am looking forward to Maiden
But, a lot of people like these epically deep rulesets so that is cool but they are just not for me.

To me its about the journey, not the destination. Whether a game is deep or relatively shallow, it has to be fun. I have played both shallow and deep games that were a lot of fun and, conversely, there are shallow and deep games that I don't like at all.

I will say that I'm more likely to purchase a deeper game. The games are heavy and a PITA to move around. I keep them for awhile. A fun deeper game keeps my interest longer than a fun shallow game. While I love IM and play it whenever I see it on location, I probably won't buy it for home.

3 weeks later
#647 6 years ago

I know most assume SW is pretty much "done", but I'm still hoping for a little more meat on the bone with the next update. There are several fairly straightforward suggestions for fine tuning the SW experience that folks have made on a recurring basis -- so it shouldn't be hard for Stern to figure out the tweaking/fixes that people want to see occur. Just a little bit of improvement could move this game from a B+ to an A.

1 year later
#1457 4 years ago

SW Topper - If it doesn't happen (why would it at this point?), I wonder what the value of the production prototype is?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 12.50
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address?tu=tbanthony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.