FAF2D7AE-68FB-46BD-9E6E-2FC35C40F61C (resized).jpeg
CAB57C73-24B8-4333-928D-C48E12F21CFA (resized).jpeg
31EFB38E-794B-48A0-B636-A8E6C4E085D1 (resized).jpeg
C6B01A0E-5323-4C46-93E9-E469D76272EE (resized).jpeg
597CF695-2738-4CA5-96EF-D379497CA90F (resized).jpeg
908BBEE2-3CFD-4410-9B27-96281930CC3B (resized).jpeg
EdgeOfTommorrow.gif
sotu619munstersacc2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, I've never led a software development project before. I guess I'm wrong in assuming more people can help them get through that backlog quicker?

The answer is, it depends.

There is an entire book dedicated to the phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

I had to read it in college; it was almost 20 years old at that point. 25 years later and now a manager as well, it's just as true as it was 40+ years ago.

I don't expect anyone will actually pick it up and check it out, but the summary is it's complicated because it involves ramp-up times, additional integrations, more cooks issues, etc. etc.

6 months later
#882 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I personally asked Lyman about the WOF code back at the MGC show last spring (also listed as a code contributor). He responded that he did not participate in that code and was frustrated that people thought he did and keep asking him about it. He said that he thought it all came about from a picture being taken of Keith and him in front of a WOF promotional poster and people probably jumped to that conclusion. He said Keith was the programmer and years ago Stern wanted to pay him to finish the code. Of course Keith moved on, and according to a post from Keith several years ago, Stern had his code and could finish it ... but they never did. Gary Stern hates this pin (according to another poster in the WOF thread), so they will likely never revisit the code to complete it.

Hi, sorry I missed this little gem from a few weeks ago!

Lyman did some lamp effects on the game and whatever normal system-type stuff he'd've been doing at the time anyway. I don't remember how the attribution stuff went down, but if it was up to me, I'm sure I mentioned him as a courtesy since he did help out on it a little. I helped with some display effects on BDK but am not listed there, so maybe he shouldn't be listed on WOF. Anyway, it was lamp effects and no rules or anything else.

As for being asked to finish WOF, I do not specifically remember that. It's possible it happened, and some other stuff that happened between Stern (the company) and I around then (involving my possible return to Stern) clouded my head from remembering that tidbit.

It IS true, however, that Gary hated the non-"Italian bottom" of the game, and went so far as to rework some number of games that change the area between the flippers. He was the one that was so hot to trot to do that license, to mine and others' objections, so not much else to blame doing that game in the first place other than the mirror. I had watched the show on and off quite a lot over the years and was intimately familiar with it, so as is typical for games I lead, it used the license as much as it could, and I'm very proud of the implementation as far as it got while I was there. As I've said many times, when your primary helper is supposed to be your boss, and he determines other stuff is more important and doesn't help you, not much recourse I have for the state it went out in.

4 weeks later
#1102 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Actually, AC/DC was the first pin with RGB lighting.

Actually, New Canasta was, which was a reason we didn't bother to try and patent it (unlike Stern).

1 year later
#1599 3 years ago

Last time I read the prosecution on this patent it had had to be neutered in such a way that something must physically block a drain on order to be patentable making it mostly useless. That was some months ago, but that's my recollection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address?tu=pinball_keefer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.