FAF2D7AE-68FB-46BD-9E6E-2FC35C40F61C (resized).jpeg
CAB57C73-24B8-4333-928D-C48E12F21CFA (resized).jpeg
31EFB38E-794B-48A0-B636-A8E6C4E085D1 (resized).jpeg
C6B01A0E-5323-4C46-93E9-E469D76272EE (resized).jpeg
597CF695-2738-4CA5-96EF-D379497CA90F (resized).jpeg
908BBEE2-3CFD-4410-9B27-96281930CC3B (resized).jpeg
EdgeOfTommorrow.gif
sotu619munstersacc2 (resized).jpg
There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 33.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ah, so it's the other thing then.

Hmmm...

pp (resized).jpgpp (resized).jpg

#402 6 years ago

Well damn now I need to
Track that sign down

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well damn now I need to
Track that sign down

Road Trip to Ann Arbor!

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And you were saying........

Very cool, happy to say I didn't expect that, but it doesn't actually address the point, which is there are no cannon modes, and Lyman said there never will be. I still see people complaining about it in the new code thread, move on already.

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Very cool, happy to say I didn't expect that, but it doesn't actually address the point, which is there are no cannon modes, and Lyman said there never will be. I still see people complaining about it in the new code thread, move on already.

Maybe you are right, but we should take it with a grain of salt.
Remember back when you said the game was done and would never have an update. And that we should move on.
Well I am glad I stayed put.

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe you are right, but we should take it with a grain of salt.
Remember back when you said the game was done and would never have an update. And that we should move on.
Well I am glad I stayed put.

Shrug, I'm just repeating what Lyman said. He can change his mind, I'm not a wizard, but he said he tried it and didn't find it fun, so he scrapped it.

Glad people are enjoying the new code. Wouldn't have changed anything about me selling my ACDC if I'd known it was coming, but looks like a solid update.

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shrug, I'm just repeating what Lyman said. He can change his mind, I'm not a wizard, but he said he tried it and didn't find it fun, so he scrapped it.
Glad people are enjoying the new code. Wouldn't have changed anything about me selling my ACDC if I'd known it was coming, but looks like a solid update.

Lyman's a flat out genius when it comes to making fun code. He knows what he's doing.

#408 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I realize you are not a Wizard. Yes, Lyman messed you over a bit.
But when you speak in such finality like things are gospel, people are likely to bring it up when the opposite happens.
Just human nature.
Continue on soldier.

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

But when you speak in such finality like things are gospel, people are likely to bring it up when the opposite happens.
Just human nature.
Continue on soldier.

I think that is the point - no one really knows.

Stern are adapting to changes in the marketplace as competition is fiercer than it has ever been so great code has now become essential to their business model.

I want an Iron Maiden but code is the number 1 feature that has to be good or I am not a buyer.

Lyman may have said he wasn't doing cannon modes but it doesn't make one of the best ever games look complete when these aren't coded.

Seems like he is still working on the code and really something, anything is better than nothing.

Cannon volley could be as simple as scoring big points for ricochet shots for example.

Anyway, it ain't over until it's over and it doesn't seem over yet

#410 6 years ago

Actually this is Pinside, everybody knows everything

I want an Iron Maiden but code is the number 1 feature that has to be good or I am not a buyer.

What you never know is which update cycle you will get. Some are very good and other you gotta wait awHile.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just human nature.
Continue on soldier.

Everyone on pinside makes comments that sound like they are gospel when in most cases no one knows anything more then anyone else. Why would you take anyone's word on pinside as gospel?

I think the point that was missed was the AC/DC was a great game without the code update. I'm glad they did it but it doesn't change my opinion of the game at all. It was awesome before and would have stayed awesome without the update.

Stern are adapting to changes in the marketplace as competition is fiercer than it has ever been so great code has now become essential to their business model.
Lyman may have said he wasn't doing cannon modes but it doesn't make one of the best ever games look complete when these aren't coded.
Seems like he is still working on the code and really something, anything is better than nothing.
Cannon volley could be as simple as scoring big points for ricochet shots for example.
Anyway, it ain't over until it's over and it doesn't seem over yet

Why in the world are some of you so crazy about those stupid cannon inserts. Stern did the release to sell more vaults and it's likely been mostly complete for a long time. It's always about moving product.

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Everyone on pinside makes comments that sound like they are gospel when in most cases no one knows anything more then anyone else. Why would you take anyone's word on pinside as gospel?
I think the point that was missed was the AC/DC was a great game without the code update. I'm glad they did it but it doesn't change my opinion of the game at all. It was awesome before and would have stayed awesome without the update.

Why in the world are some of you so crazy about those stupid cannon inserts. Stern did the release to sell more vaults and it's likely been mostly complete for a long time. It's always about moving product.

For me, the cannon mode inserts are important because they phyiscally exist. So, until there is no code attached to them , the code is incomplete.
So, i personally refuse to accept thus as final code.

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

For me, the cannon mode inserts are important because they phyiscally exist. So, until there is no code attached to them , the code is incomplete.

Whatever floats your boat. I prefer to play the game and have a blast doing it. Not once have I thought about those inserts.

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Whatever floats your boat. I prefer to play the game and have a blast doing it. Not once have I thought about those inserts.

The game is a total blast for sure.

But, by definition it isn't finished if there are unused inserts on a playfield.

#415 6 years ago

The game is a total blast for sure.
But, by definition it isn't finished if there are unused inserts on a playfield.

I'm afraid you do not get to define when a stern game has complete code other then for yourself.

#416 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm afraid you do not get to define when a stern game has complete code other then for yourself.

Sorry, but if there are inserts on a playfield not programmed to do anything, then game isn't 100% finished!

It may of course be complete according to Stern.......

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Go ahead and sand off the text of those inserts. That work for you?

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Go ahead and sand off the text of those inserts. That work for you?

Not sure why you are being defensive?

I am just stating an obvious fact.

I still think the game is awesome.

#419 6 years ago

Not sure why you are being defensive?
I am just stating an obvious fact.
I still think the game is awesome.

But that is the thing, what you call an obvious fact is really just an opinion. It seems the guy coding the game has a very different opinion then yours on this issue. I think people just like to bitch about stern code no matter what they do personally, but that's just my opinion.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

But that is the thing, what you call an obvious fact is really just an opinion. It seems the guy coding the game has a very different opinion then yours on this issue. I think people just like to bitch about stern code no matter what they do personally, but that's just my opinion.

Lyman likely spent months of hard work on the latest code, and the "insert issue" wasn't deemed worth his time in lieu of more important work.

People seem to think they just toss this stuff off in an hour between caviar baths and money fights over at Stern. That's not really how it works.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People seem to think they just toss this stuff off in an hour between caviar baths and money fights over at Stern.

Ok you got me laughing with that one!

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People seem to think they just toss this stuff off in an hour between caviar baths and money fights over at Stern.

I've seen the kind of shit Pinsiders own....I know where the cavier and money fights happen.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lyman likely spent months of hard work on the latest code, and the "insert issue" wasn't deemed worth his time in lieu of more important work.
People seem to think they just toss this stuff off in an hour between caviar baths and money fights over at Stern. That's not really how it works.

That one time Steve Ritchie was telling me about riding his dirt bike all I could think is "Damn, this guy makes dirt bike money while I'm stuck over here buying pins like a popper".

I was talking to one guy at a show a few years ago and he thought that pinball designers are making 250K or so at least lol. Don't get me wrong, I wish those guys could make that kind of dough.

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

But that is the thing, what you call an obvious fact is really just an opinion.

Its not an opinion. Its a fact.
When you advertise such a feature. People expect that feature to exist when they buy the product. Its like advertising a board game containing a certain figurine and call it "figurine actions". You receive the game with the figurine but no instructions or actions to use it in the game are given. Furthermore after years of shipping the game with said figurine, the company never creates actions for it and doesnt address it.

Some people say it's opinion not fact that the figurine needed to do something in the first place. If its there then it should do something. It was advertised as such.

I guess the moral of the story is dont put a feature on something...show people what they will get and then change your mind and not deliver on said feature. This would apply to any business.

The "canon modes" ship has sailed a long time ago. It just boils down to a "clusterfuck" (for the lack of a better word) that Stern does not wish / want to address. Im just surprised they havent removed the inserts with all the editions they have released.

ACDC in its own right is an outstanding game with or without the cannon modes.

Either way....happy they are outputting code for older games. More code is a good thing.

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Its not an opinion. Its a fact.
When you advertise such a feature. People expect that feature to exist when they buy the product. Its like advertising a board game containing a certain figurine and call it "figurine actions". You receive the game with the figurine but no instructions or actions to use it in the game are given. Furthermore after years of shipping the game with said figurine, the company never creates actions for it and doesnt address it.
Some people say it's opinion not fact that the figurine needed to do something in the first place. If its there then it should do something. It was advertised as such.
I guess the moral of the story is dont put a feature on something...show people what they will get and then change your mind and not deliver on said feature. This would apply to any business.
The "canon modes" ship has sailed a long time ago. It just boils down to a "clusterfuck" (for the lack of a better word) that Stern does not wish / want to address. Im just surprised they havent removed the inserts with all the editions they have released.
ACDC in its own right is an outstanding game with or without the cannon modes.
Either way....happy they are outputting code for older games. More code is a good thing.

Give it a break man, you guys act like stern has not delivered on AC/DC code. It really wouldn't matter what they do, people would still find a reason to bitch. There are tons of features on AC/DC, MET, TWD, and now BM66 that were not advertised. Maybe Lyman should delete all of those and get back to those darn cannon inserts that plague the 0.1% of owners so much that are concerned about it.

#426 6 years ago

Did you even bother reading the last 2 phrases of my last post?

#427 6 years ago

Being critical of Stern code on games that are lackluster? Makes sense.

Being critical of Stern code on AC/DC before this update? Starting to lose credibility.

Being critical of Stern code on AC/DC after this update? Please retire from this campaign. You are doing it a disservice.

#428 6 years ago

I did, and I agree with them. I just do no get the whole cannon mode big deal to begin with. People take this stuff way too serious.

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Being critical of Stern code on games that are lackluster? Makes sense.
Being critical of Stern code on AC/DC before this update? Starting to lose credibility.
Being critical of Stern code on AC/DC after this update? Please retire from this campaign. You are doing it a disservice.

Im certainly not criticizing the most recent code update. Im just calling bullshit on people that are saying that it's a matter of opinion that they never intended to use the canon inserts.

I've never said a bad thing about acdc apart from the canon inserts not being used. Thats it!

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I did, and I agree with them. I just do no get the whole cannon mode big deal to begin with. People take this stuff way too serious.

Yup. Totally agree.

Im just really wondering about one thing. if stern never had plans to use them after realizing they didnt need them...then why not remove them from the reruns...pro led...lucy...and most recent vault rumors? Just asking...woukd it cost more for them to make the modification than leave it as is?

#431 6 years ago

Yup. Totally agree.
Im just really wondering about one thing. if stern never had plans to use them after realizing they didnt need them...then why not remove them from the reruns...pro led...lucy...and most recent vault rumors? Just asking...woukd it cost more for them to make the modification than leave it as is?

Hassle of redesigning the playfield plus the inevitable internet dustup when people spotted the difference. I can see why Stern would leave it be.

#432 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Hassle of redesigning the playfield plus the inevitable internet dustup when people spotted the difference. I can see why Stern would leave it be.

They should just put one big cannon graphic instead of the 3 inserts and call it a day. Less wood cuts and about 10 hours of design time. It would be on par with adding swing bell on the led pro.

Its probably the last edition they will make...so you're probably right..at this point in time why bother.

Correct me if am wrong but isnt it the only instance in a stern game were inserts do absolutely nothing?

#433 6 years ago

Correct me if am wrong but isnt it the only instance in a stern game were inserts do absolutely nothing?

lol

#434 6 years ago

1. Ghostbusters

#435 6 years ago

Ok for the sake of knowledge
1. Ghostbusters - Librarian
2. ACDC - Cannon inserts
3. WOF - Wizard Bonus Inserts

#436 6 years ago

The spooked librarian insert at the left scoop is not used.

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

The spooked librarian insert at the left scoop is not used.

Spooked librarian is used. It's the first mode in that ladder. Libriarian isn't used. Sorry, for being a smart ass.

#438 6 years ago

Regardless of mini wizards or cannon inserts, all games should receive updates whilst they have bugs (see WOZ as a shining example) ... such a large update definitely brings bugs.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The bottom line is that EITHER the pin is incomplete OR the text or the inserts are erroneous, superfluous or both. Either way, ACDC is a true masterpiece.

#440 6 years ago

1. Ghostbusters - which insert(s)?
2. ACDC - Cannon inserts

3. Don't forget about the infamous incomplete wizard bonus inserts on WOF

#441 6 years ago

does captains chair count on ST? it lights up when you do 3 in a row I guess.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

does captains chair count on ST? it lights up when you do 3 in a row I guess.

Yeah that one is "iffy" but I wouldn't classify it as an insert that does nothing.

2 weeks later
#443 6 years ago

Today is the day. Will will get some more information. Wich games are still in the line.
Hopefully we will get details this time!

#444 6 years ago

Are we going to see the Star Wars topper and shooter today?

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

LoL

#446 6 years ago

Let's hope for some good news!!

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I hope so! Knowing how Stern has handled Star Wars, probably forced by Disney, we will have to buy 3 toppers and 3 shooters...

#448 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hope so! Knowing how Stern has handled Star Wars, probably forced by Disney, we will have to buy 3 toppers and 3 shooters...

Yeah - wouldn’t surprise me to see something crazy like that. Lol

#449 6 years ago

Hopefully not another copy and paste on the code status updates.

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Hopefully not another copy and paste on the code status updates.

3 months into the new year and nothing exciting from Stern, they are long overdue on several fronts! Code, next game and accessories that are missing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.75
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address/page/9?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.