FAF2D7AE-68FB-46BD-9E6E-2FC35C40F61C (resized).jpeg
CAB57C73-24B8-4333-928D-C48E12F21CFA (resized).jpeg
31EFB38E-794B-48A0-B636-A8E6C4E085D1 (resized).jpeg
C6B01A0E-5323-4C46-93E9-E469D76272EE (resized).jpeg
597CF695-2738-4CA5-96EF-D379497CA90F (resized).jpeg
908BBEE2-3CFD-4410-9B27-96281930CC3B (resized).jpeg
EdgeOfTommorrow.gif
sotu619munstersacc2 (resized).jpg

There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...I see a little part of their souls die every time a new Ghostbusters code update isn't announced. )-:

Yeah. It seems like Ghostbusters has become their unloved stepchild.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Keep in mind that this is the same person who recently complained about Walking Dead code.
Some people just dont like Stern games. What can you do?

Taking things out of context again. I said the code at the begining sucked and it took lyman working on his own time to make it a gteat game.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Taking things out of context again. I said the code at the begining sucked and it took lyman working on his own time to make it a gteat game.

Stern: a company that accepts money from grown men for multi-thousand dollar games before they're fully coded.
Pinsiders: those grown men who then complain that the code isn't good enough and blame Stern.

The good news is, you're not alone!

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

So the original idea wasn't fun, but I don't think that means it is ok to just leave the inserts unused then. I bought the game (when still in production, before code was 'done') expecting something fun to be done with those inserts, not for them to just be useless. Nobody is criticizing Lyman or Steve, but I don't think it's not unreasonable to expect the special inserts on a game to have some purpose, and within a reasonable timeframe not running into several years of silence.

I hear you, and yet, we have the answer, from the programmer, and it is what it is. The game is fine, it takes away from the real complaints about legit issues to try and make this about ACDC somehow not being done. It's never going to get another update, it's finished, that's that. Gotta just move on at this point, be happy with what it is. Or sell it, someone buy mine, the cannon inserts are useless, but the rest works!

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Stern: a company that accepts money from grown men for multi-thousand dollar games before they're fully coded.
Pinsiders: those grown men who then complain that the code isn't good enough and blame Stern.
The good news is, you're not alone!

Not part of that group anymore. And it will take alot of persuasion for me to buy from them again.

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

...And it will take alot of persuasion for me to buy from them again.

Yeah no one here is persuading you...we don't give a shit.

#357 6 years ago

Popcorn anyone ?

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Great news ! Can't wait to see the next NIB price hike to "make up" for the new hires...

No price increase, but the rails will now be made of cardboard and the translite is now cellophane.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

"what happens at Stern for the holidays", ie: we take a break, we have a party, floors are waxed, blah blah

...the microwaves are cleaned. Sorry couldn't resist. Carry on.

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Hey look. It's a Stern employee posting on pinside! Haven't seen that for a while!

....and that's the last anyone saw of Tim Sexton on Pinside.

But how good is it to have another good player workin for Stern. Sheats, Elwin, Sexton, Sharpe. Only good things can come of it.

#361 6 years ago

The new hires certainly seem to indicate that Stern realized they had a problem with programming they needed to address. Whether you think "throwing bodies" at it will help or not, it clearly indicates that Stern is working to improve. I don't know why anyone would take that negatively.

#362 6 years ago

This is a move in the right direction for Stern. Hopefully they will be able to ship a 90% code complete game on release like their competition. It would be nice to get in front a new Stern game and be able to play and enjoy it. Right now playing a newly released Stern is like getting a remote control car for Christmas and finding out your parents forgot to buy batteries.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I hear you, and yet, we have the answer, from the programmer, and it is what it is. The game is fine, it takes away from the real complaints about legit issues to try and make this about ACDC somehow not being done. It's never going to get another update, it's finished, that's that. Gotta just move on at this point, be happy with what it is. Or sell it, someone buy mine, the cannon inserts are useless, but the rest works!

Perhaps if they purchased a copy of this http://www.lekkerlevenhetboek.nl/ it can help them move past this difficult time in their lives.

#364 6 years ago

It is obvious Stern is making significant investments in the software quality. This is hopefully really good news for future releases. Are these folks going to be relocating to Chicago?

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

This is a move in the right direction for Stern. Hopefully they will be able to ship a 90% code complete game on release like their competition. It would be nice to get in front a new Stern game and be able to play and enjoy it. Right now playing a newly released Stern is like getting a remote control car for Christmas and finding out your parents forgot to buy batteries.

Wait.... my PARENTS?!

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Still no final AC/DC code.... that s*cks.
No question, the code is great at the momentary state, but still incomplete (cannon inserts) and there are so many poissible improvements ( lower playfield in conjunctiosn with upper playfield for example) that it would be a shame do not release another update.
But what is most confusing to me: if "I" would release a vault edition of a game, i would do a huge code improvement for sur, because so, the owners of the "original" machines would NOT sell theirs and new customers come in.
Well, maybe thats "german" thinking.

Union always mentions surprise releases, so any title is always a candidate!

#367 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

WWE?

#368 6 years ago

Sorry all I heard was:

244ihj (resized).jpg244ihj (resized).jpg

#369 6 years ago

I was disappointed that the much needed Aerosmith code release has not manifested. While it's playable its annoying that these small issues haven't been resolved for over a year .

However they have atoned for this issue by Hiring some great Tech talent to help resolve these issues.

It is my great hope that they will at some point and time. Consider opening up part of the code to Open Source hobbyist like me.
This would GROW the hobby and interest of Tech Nerds like me who would spend hours solving technical backlog items in the source.
Open source doesn't mean exposing everything but writing a solution that would allow others to help would be key.

Now they have 4 more Techies. They will have to sell what I expect is 120-150 machines to cover the cost a year. I'm sure they have hit those numbers. With more Tech they should be able to solve issues quickly. I'm glad they've slowed their roll a bit and thought out what the next moves should be.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Never say never.

It could yet be a shock update

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Announcement says that the Star Wars side blades and armor are for sale but I don't see them on their site. Anyone have a link to the product?
Edit: just saw this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-side-art-and-armor-now-available-from-stern

Picking up the armor and blades today. Pretty sure I'm going with the Han/bounty hunter theme and may sell the other 2 sets. Can't imagine I'll swap them out.

#372 6 years ago

Yes WWE is due for an update!

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from epichoff:

Yes WWE is due for an update!

This is from Tsskinne (Keep in mind this was 11+ months ago so nothing yet):

I just sent this email off to Stern, I encourage anyone else who is finding bugs to also report to stern, hopefully we can get a code update to at least fix issues in the game.
"Thank you Chas. I took some time yesterday to go through the game and I found a few major bugs.
1. After lighting the IC title mode you need to shoot the left saucer to begin the Royal Rumble to beat that mode, there is nothing indicating what shot to hit to start it, adding a flashing insert or something would be very helpful.
2. Once in IC / Royal Rumble mode on the LE model specifically both controlled gates at the top of the ramp remain open the entire time, this is a problem because you need to collect several shots in the ring saucer to beat the mode and light the heavy weight championship mode. It is not possible because balls are continuously bypassing the ring/upper playfield completely.
3. The same thing happens with the gates in Heavyweight Championship mode where again several shots are needed to the upper playfield in ring saucer and the balls will not go into the ring because the gates always remain open.
4. Tag Team multiball, the points earned in the mode displayed as 900 million yesterday or me, when I drained out of the mode my overall score was only 800 million, either a scoring bug or display bug.
5. In tag team multiball after winning the first tag team match I am able to put balls back into the ring and continue to hit targets and collect more pins (often for huge points 100 million per pin), but I never advance to a championship match. I have to drain out of the tag team multiball and restart it again to enter into a championship match, this seems very odd. Why wouldn't I just be able to hit the lower playfield drops a few times after winning the first match in tag team to enter into a championship match all in the original tag team multiball.
6. Previously you could earn pins during referee multiball and or KO your opponent via enough upper playfield target hits. I believe that the rules for this MB need to be looked at again because as right now it has very little value compared to other features of the game and it causes severely unbalanced scores.
7. In Tag Team multiball I had add a ball lit, but I never hit the shot. I drained out of multiball, the add a ball light went off, but I hit the saucer and it acted almost as if there was a grace period. The game kicked out one more ball, and allowed me to play with two, but I was no longer actually in tag team multiball. When one ball drained the game allowed me to continue playing.
8. During that tag team multiball I had successfully lit both left and right outlane virtual ball saves, however once I was down to one ball it trained out the right outlane and the ball save did not function although I am positive the switch registered because it did add a letter to my YES! lanes.
That is all I have found this week, I will continue to explore more into the game. It would also help to know if I should be going through and doing these things with different wrestlers on the game, or if they don't impact the bugs that much and it wont matter. I know for #1-5 I was using Shawn Michaels as my chosen character. #6 is a general concern across all characters. #7-8 I was using Triple H.
Thank you for your help on getting this game to play without issues."

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Wait.... my PARENTS?!

Don't understand.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Don't understand.

All these years my parents have been putting those presents under the tree??

#376 6 years ago

YES! YES! YES!

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This is from Tsskinne (Keep in mind this was 11+ months ago so nothing yet)...

I also sent them a nice list of bugs and potential improvements and also posted it in the WWE thread. There is a lot of low hanging fruit that could easily be addressed and with it's unique layout, it can really stand out from the standard fan layout and recycled code they keep cranking out nowadays. I talked with Zach about it when he was hired on and said he would do what he could. Game is still in production, so it would be worth their while to do another code revision. That and the general good will and consumer confidence Stern gets from the community when they do code updates like that. I believe that there will be another WWE update in the future, but I doubt it is right around the corner.

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

All these years my parents have been putting those presents under the tree??

Always got Atari/Intellivision games from Santa
Parents gave us the battery operated stuff without batteries..
JJP = Santa
Stern= Parents
Dutch = Uncle that forgot my gifts on the plane..

#378 6 years ago

3 new programmers is a step in the right direction.

timballs I hope you will make GB code a beauty!

-December
Ghostbusters – With Star Wars coming to completion soon, we will be focusing on a final update for Ghostbusters.
Star Wars – The team is hard at work and we’re still looking at releasing 1.0 code in early December.

Sounds like a promise

-February
Star Wars – Work continues on the next update.
We continue to add resources to our software department to address updates, enhancements, bug fixes and various polish to our catalog of previous titles including Ghostbusters, Aerosmith and KISS

While SW is now running 1.0, GB should have priority now... But anyway 3 new people will do there magic! I believe?! Well we will see...

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

When has throwing people at a problem helped much? You've obviously never led a software development project.

If the problem is your developers have too many projects on their plate, then YES throwing bodies at the problem is the solution (assuming the bodies are qualified, which they appear to be).

There's no good reason why in this time of relative prosperity for pinball, Stern can't be releasing finished machines, or at the very least finishing them in a timely fashion.

#380 6 years ago

More new resources could/should mean the already present resources get less new work assigned and have more time available in the future to finish their earlier projects.
But the decision to assign the resources to new titles to be released or to finish the already released ones is up to Stern of course.

#381 6 years ago

Guardians of the galaxy .

This pin has all the potential in the world to be great let’s make it happen .

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Thanks for the support, everyone! Hope to deliver some great code to you guys!

Timballs, here’s hoping your code is Amazeballs!

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

If the problem is your developers have too many projects on their plate, then YES throwing bodies at the problem is the solution (assuming the bodies are qualified, which they appear to be).
There's no good reason why in this time of relative prosperity for pinball, Stern can't be releasing finished machines, or at the very least finishing them in a timely fashion.

For new games, yes. For finishing up existing games, no. Inefficient.

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And you were saying........

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sometimes in life we get to be surprised. SHOCKED even. Who was expecting an acdc update today?

#386 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

someone is gonna eat crow after saying there would never be an AC/DC code update... any takers?

eat me crow (resized).jpgeat me crow (resized).jpg

#387 6 years ago

ok, this is a total shock. VERY SURPRISED. I will be the first to admit I was wr.... I was wron.... I was not actually right! ACDC code surprise for sure! WOW! Lyman delivers.

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

someone is gonna eat crow after saying there would never be an AC/DC code update... any takers?

It would be more surprising than the update

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

ok, this is a total shock. VERY SURPRISED. I will be the first to admit I was wr.... I was wron.... I was not actually right! ACDC code surprise for sure! WOW! Lyman delivers.

AC/DC code update described:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-acdc-code#post-4228805

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Still no final AC/DC code.... that s*cks....

Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

#391 6 years ago

If there is one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's to never rule out a completely out of nowhere code update from Lyman ... the man, the myth, the legend!

#392 6 years ago

I thought the 2 year gap on TWD was impressive, but this is pushing 4 years!!

#393 6 years ago

AC/DC kinda makes sense though doesn’t it? Aren’t they putting out the VE soon? This is a comparatively cheap way to drum up sales!

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

AC/DC kinda makes sense though doesn’t it? Aren’t they putting out the VE soon?

Yes it's pretty clear that's what it is. An update is always great...but not liking ACDC is nice cause I don't have to start thinking "Um how long as Stern known my super jackpots don't work and not fixed the issue?"
Of course, it looks like no one else knewm either?

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes it's pretty clear that's what it is. An update is always great...but not licking ACDC is nice cause I don't have to start thinking "Um how long as Stern known my SJ don't work and not fixed it?"
Of course, it looks like no one else knewm either?

Hitting the sauce this evening?

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hitting the sauce this evening?

Me...no I'm at work why?

EDIT: Or horrible typing? If so I actually type a ton better when I'm drunk

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Me...no I'm at work why?
EDIT: Or horrible typing? If so I actually type a ton better when I'm drunk

Ah, so it's the other thing then.

DT (resized).pngDT (resized).png

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

g ACDC is nice cause I don't have to start thinking "Um how long as Stern known my super jackpots don't work and not fixed the issue?"

You HAVE been getting the points!!!
They just weren't being added to the "x-Multiball total" display.

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

You HAVE been getting the points!!!
They just weren't being added to the "x-Multiball total" display.

Great thanks...that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ah, so it's the other thing then.

Alternatively refreshing beer

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
There are 1,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.